Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, usually I favor interesting outcomes over plausible ones, but I suppose you are right ;)
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and the same can be said for what may or may not be an interesting outcome. They are both very subjective matters.
OTOH, an assessment of plausibility stands on firmer legs. ;)

True enought. Even if unexpected events tend to be more interesting no matter the plausability. But this timeline is really interesting, no matter what.

True enought. Even if unexpected events tend to be more interesting no matter the plausability. But this timeline is really interesting, no matter what.
Thanks for the compliment: there have been enough surprises in the TL, I think, even if we have tried to keep everything within the boundaries of plausibility.

Happy Liberation Day! The name is not exactly accurate, but it is wildly better than "Anniversary of the Battle of Goito", or "Day of the Good Prince's bet" as someone calls with a reverent half-joke. To this day, it is he most celebrated civil holiday all over Italy :)

Happy Liberation Day! The name is not exactly accurate, but it is wildly better than "Anniversary of the Battle of Goito", or "Day of the Good Prince's bet" as someone calls with a reverent half-joke. To this day, it is the most celebrated civil holiday all over Italy :)

Your TL is making me wish I lived there rather than here, I mean, going by your first post there's still going to be political corruption in the Confederation, but everything else seems to be either on par with the rest of the civilized world or better than the global average - since they're both countries that couple a lack of natural resources with a strategic location and a streak of madness/genius running through them, the fact that Italy didn't become the Japan of the Mediterranean (or a more toned down version of it at least, because Japan tried to emulate Prometheus in the 1980s and crashed down badly) is one hell of a missed opportunity.

Here's a humorous take I did on the subject. :p

Your TL is making me wish I lived there rather than here, I mean, going by your first post there's still going to be political corruption in the Confederation, but everything else seems to be either on par with the rest of the civilized world or better than the global average - since they're both countries that couple a lack of natural resources with a strategic location and a streak of madness/genius running through them, the fact that Italy didn't become the Japan of the Mediterranean (or a more toned down version of it at least, because Japan tried to emulate Prometheus in the 1980s and crashed down badly) is one hell of a missed opportunity.

That is very flattering, thank you! I wish I could live ITTL Italy as well, to be fair. The bit about corruption was to hint that while a clear Italian- wank, TTL Italy is not without issues (in fashion that is similar to your take on the subject: btw, I loved it! Kudos!). I really liked the parallel with Japan, I will think more about that. You know, when TTL started, I pictured that by 2020, TTL Italy would be on a level that would be intermediate between OTL France and Germany, but with a unique Italian flavor, so to speak.

That's one hell of a compliment: thank you very much, on behalf of @Tarabas and myself :)
Your point is as good as usual. As a matter of fact, Italy should be in an even better position, since they don't even need to pull a full Meiji, being in many ways in a better position than Japan was when Perry's squadron forced Japan to open its ports to trade, and sharing a long common history with other European states. There are many possible answers to the question, but I believe that the main reason was the failure of the OTL 1848. It is true that Italian unification was (surprisingly) completed barely 12 years later, but there is a huge difference between a Confederation built in 1848 by Italians and the unitary state that came to be in 1859 through French support. A Confederation built on self-esteem and based on the belief that the unique traits of different parts of Italy should be preserved and cherished is almost the exact opposite of the Piedmont-on-steroids that was forced on all of Italy post-unification. Gino Capponi, who was a fine politician and who could see better than most, even if he was practically blind, said that the goal was bringing Piedmont in Italy, rather than bringing Italy in Piedmont; and, on another occasion, he wrote that the king of Two Sicilies is not loved by his people and he returns the feeling, but the king and the people of Two Sicilies are in complete agreement when they both refuse to become the southernmost provinces of a Greater Piedmont.

There are many other reasons, obviously, for the problems of post-Unification Italy, which were not solved them and in large measure still plague Italy today (a poor specimen of a king, the untimely death of Cavour, the decade of repression in the 1850s, the problem of the Papal Rump in Latium: the list could go on), but one can possibly lump everything together in a single sentence: "Italy has been made, now we have to make the Italians". One might say that ITTL the approach has been reversed: "Let's make the Italians, and in due time we will make Italy".

Last edited:
You know, when TTL started, I pictured that by 2020, TTL Italy would be on a level that would be intermediate between OTL France and Germany, but with a unique Italian flavor, so to speak.
It's always good to set up sensible goals when starting a TL, and to move the goal posts back and forth according to the progress made ;)

Well, I can say that the map of Italy shown at the beginning would match pretty well the map of the Confederation at the end of the war. It would just happen 70 years earlier. XD

Well, I can say that the map of Italy shown at the beginning would match pretty well the map of the Confederation at the end of the war. It would just happen 70 years earlier. XD

Wouldn't there be a "gap" between Fiume and Dalmatia?

450px-Italia_Irredenta_cores.jpg

(as for the northern borders, Vicky II kinda fucked up, I don't think annexing Bolzano was even on the cards before WWI)

By the way, do you guys have any plans for Romania? Given what a Bucharest-based friend of mine has told me about the place, that's yet another Romance-speaking country that might be in dire need of a makeover... :p

Last edited:
Wouldn't there be a "gap" between Fiume and Dalmatia?

450px-Italia_Irredenta_cores.jpg

(as for the northern borders, Vicky II kinda fucked up, I don't think annexing Bolzano was even on the cards before WWI)

By the way, do you guys have any plans for Romania? Given what a Bucharest-based friend of mine has told me about the place, that's yet another Romance-speaking country that might be in dire need of a makeover... :p
You are right about the gap between Fiume and the Northern border of Dalmatia: it would make no sense just annexing the coastline for the lulz of it.
In Trentino, the Sardinian troops are at the moment stopped just north of Salorno. From a military point of view, it would make sense to push northward, up to the Brenner pass and the Alpine watershed, but it would be a costly exercise. However, if the Imperial Government doesn't see the opportunity to ask for an armistice soon, it would be a good place where to push (the alternative of pushing toward Liubiana would also be possible, but, in my thinking, less attractive) .

Romania has been discussed between @Tarabas and me: there has been a liberal insurrection in both Wallachia and Moldavia (at this point in history what would later become Romania IOTL is still divided in three pieces: Moldavia and Wallachia, ruled by local princes under Ottoman suzerainty, but with a significant Russian presence, and Transylvania, which is under the crown of St. Stephen and claimed by the Hungarian insurgents). The insurrection in Moldavia was quickly quashed by a Russian intervention, but Wallachia is holding up well enough in the spring of 1848, and there is a very interesting guy there: Alexandru Ioan Cuza ,who has been active in the insurrection. The problem is how to get there, and how to oppose or cajole the Russians in the North and the Ottomans in the South. The answer is no, at this stage. Later on, it may become more possible ;)

Narrative Interlude #36: A quiet morning
Villa Pindemonte, 7 April 1848 - Late Morning

Prince Ferdinando sat back in his chair, stretching:
"I think we should have no worry about Turin, Camillo. My congratulations, by the way: according to Count Balbo, your newspaper has a lot to do with that. What is your reading of the situation in Vienna? We finally got some more detailed news from Frankfurt, and Sir Ralph has added a few tidbits, but it looks to me that there is a lot of confusion, and the political set-up is very unstable. Incidentally, the good British ambassador has offered to be present at the parley tomorrow, as a neutral observer , and has once again made clear that the British Government would be delighted to act as a peace broker. I did accept his offer to be at the parley: everything considered, the fact that the British ambassador is our guest here is a kind of message, isn't it? I made it pretty clear, however, that at this stage the objectives of the war have not yet been achieved in full: let him parse my answer as much as he like. I did ask him if the Austrian ambassador had already approached the British Government on the subject of a negotiated peace, and he denied it. I believe he was sincere on this point."
"You are right, Ferdinando. The situation in Vienna is very confused: the Staatskonferenz has made significant concessions to the insurgents, but all concessions may be revoked later, if the situation improves somehow. Which for the time being it does not look like: Prague is in insurrection too, although the incidents are quite limited for now, and Hungary....I think that the better way to understand what is happening in Hungary is to look at Sicily. They want their own separate kingdom, with the Habsburg emperor as king of Hungary in personal union, but no more dictates from Vienna. A Hungarian delegation has arrived in Vienna a few days ago with their demands. My best guess is that the Staatskonferenz will say yes to that too: as of now, it looks like they are conceding on all fronts. The expulsion of Metternich from the Regency Council has left a vacuum, and they are just trying to gain time praying that some miracle may save them. I assume that this is also the reason for which they have not yet proposed an armistice in Italy. I am quite tempted to send an emissary to Pest. There is a reason I have not yet proposed this, though. The Hungarians are trying to apply the basic French principle of citizenship: every citizen is equal in front of the law, and has no special rights. A good principle, but at the same time the Hungarians are claiming all the lands under the Crown of St. Stephen, and here is the fly in the ointment. Ethnic Magyars are barely half of the people in those lands: the rest is made up of Croats, Serbs, Slovaks, Rumanians, with a sprinkle of Germans and Jews. All these people speak different languages, often belong to different religions, their customs are quite different: compared to that, a Piedmontese and a Sicilian look like neighbors from the same village. Still the Hungarians in Pest dream to turn them all into Magyars. I have a bad feeling about that: imperial policy has always been to play on these differences, and they will see an opportunity here. The massacre of Tarnow (1) was just a couple of years ago, and it is a good showcase of the way they think in Vienna."
"I do remember reading about Tarnow. It was quite horrifying. However, Sir Ralph told me that Galicia is the quietest part of the Habsburg empire: the governor abolished serfdom one week ago, and that has defused tensions."
"Smart move for him. Ethnic differences again are used in a political play: the landowners are Polish noblemen, the serfs are Ruthenians. By abolishing serfdom, the governor has secured the allegiance of the peasants to the emperor, and has avoided the risk of a Polish insurrection. It may interest you that Hungary has not yet abolished serfdom. That is because the supporters of the Hungarian insurrection are mostly Hungarian noblemen, who are also landowners. The serfs are Slavs: Slovaks, Croats, Serbs, Rumenians. More ominously, at least two thirds of the common soldiers in the Hungarian regiments of the imperial army are Slavs, mostly Croats and Serbs. Do you see the picture?"
"I think I can see the picture you're painting, and it is not a nice one. Your suggestion?"
"Do nothing. Just push your troops up to where you intend to stop, and secure your positions there. It is not your task to find a solution to sort out the unholy mess the Habsburg empire is becoming. Long term, it might become useful to approach the Hungarians, but not yet. Prussia is in a kind of limbo too, although at least the king of Prussia does not need to be under a Regency Council. The king has left Berlin for Potsdam, after the bloody insurrection of 19 March. He has promised a constitution, and has appointed a liberal prime minister, but I don't it is going to last long: he is at heart a reactionary dinosaur. The army is still faithful to the king, and the army is what really matters in Prussia. They are not handicapped by multiple ethnic minorities either, although there is quite a number of Poles in the Grand Duchy of Poznan: that is a military problem, though, and when the king will find his nerves he'll send a general to sort it out (2). Prussia's problem is rather in the west, in the Rheinlands which they were awarded at the Congress of Vienna. It is the wealthiest part of the kingdom, but unfortunately Rheinlanders don't like Prussians at all. I'm told that when the news came out they had become a province of Prussia, a wit commented: "Who decided to marry us down to the country cousins?" (3). Now, if I wanted to make mischief in the Germanies, I would start looking there, and also in Baden, Württemberg and Bavaria. The new king of Bavaria (4) might be a possible prospect to cultivate: he was described to me as a reasonable fellow, who might develop a liberal leaning if gently pushed. Much better than the old coot who fathered him, and was forced to abdicate by the Estates."
"Today you are a veritable cornucopia of news and advice, Camillo. May I ask how you gather all these news from a small town in rural Veneto?"
"Old friends, correspondents, my uncles in Geneva, newspaper contacts. The new king of Bavaria was described to me by a friend (5) in Rome, where he visited last year, before being forced to rush back to Munich to be crowned king."
"It is a pity that we do not share a border with Bavaria, although... never mind that, just an idle thought. What are you up to today, Camillo?"
"I have a meeting planned with Signor Ferrari, Baron Ricasoli, Signor Scialoja, Signori Manin and Avesani, Count Casati. Maybe someone else: I would be surprised not to see Mazzini there. Yesterday, the speech of Signor Ferrari intrigued me. I want to gain a better understanding of the problem: what they tried to do in France to ameliorate the conditions of the populace and why it did not work. It is a complex matter, as I know from my involvement with the British Poor Laws, more than a decade ago. Even if I don't manage to gain a better understanding, it will not be a wasted afternoon. Tomorrow I plan to sit down with the Milanese, and see if the arrangement we want to propose can be acceptable as a reasonable compromise. Gabrio Casati and the Provisional Government will find it palatable for sure, better than anything they might hope to gain. The Democrats will be less enthused, but there is not much they can do. They cannot hope to win a plebiscite for a republic. Anyway, by showing a genuine interest in the plight of the poor, I will demonstrate that I am something better than a laissez-faire liberal willing to drain the blood of the disadvantaged classes to increase profits, and this can be helpful in future relations."
"Despite your cynical words, I know this meeting is not just a ploy, Camillo, and I would be really happy if you could work out a practical solution for it. However, being a prince, I am going to devote the afternoon to princely leisure: lunch with my sister, her ladies-in-waiting and princess Belgioioso. To provide a lively conversation, I've drafted Sir Ralph, Count Mocenigo and Professor Montanelli. And Augusto will be with us, of course. Captain Benso is a good man to bring when there are ladies around. To follow, Signor Fattori will show us the sketches he has drafted over the last couple of weeks. It should be very interesting and entertaining, and a welcome distraction from war and politics."

Footnotes​
  1. The Tarnow Massacre (also known as the Great Galician Slaughter). A conspiracy was made in Krakow (at the time in the Austrian empire) to start a rebellion in all of partitioned Poland: the Krakow Upraising started on 20 February 1846 . The Austrian authorities reacted by inciting the Ruthenian serfs, who were already agitating due to bad harvests and general famine, to rebel against their landlords, who were all Polish noblemen. 250 manors were burned in just a few weeks, and between 1,000 and 2,000 members of the gentry were killed. Then the Austrian government sent in troops to put the peasantry back in their place: the repression was pretty harsh, and flogging was used with liberality. The early Austrian promises to put an end to serfdom and to feudal dues were never implemented. Eye witnesses reported that the peasants were surprised and stunned by the repression: they were convinced that the "Good Emperor" had temporarily suspended the Ten Commandments, and their actions against the gentry were authorized by him and by God.​
  2. Which is what happened OTL: the Polish insurgents in the Grand Duchy of Poznan had made initial gains, but the king sent an army of 10,000 men to the province on 1 May 1848, and in a week the insurrection was quashed. The final capitulation of Polish forces was signed on 9 May 1848. The reaction of the liberal parliament in Frankfurt showed that ethnic nationalism played a role in Germany too. The Poles had a right to their own nation, but not to encroach on German lands: there was a clear Polish majority in Poznan, with most of the Germans living in towns, but the parliament voted to give the Poles just the easternmost third of the Grand Duchy of Poznan. Future reactions to ethnic strife in Bohemia, between Czechs and Germans, and to the Holstein troubles would be not dissimilar.​
  3. Historical, although there is no specific attribution of this quote​
  4. Historical. The estates forced the old king, Ludwig I, to abdicate for being an unpopular spendthrift but also for the scandal of his open relation with the dancer Lola Montez. He was replaced on the throne by his son, Maximilian II.​
  5. Count Terenzio Mamiani della Rovere. He will play a role in Rome pretty soon.​
Made in @LordKalvan

Yeah, an independent Hungary along the lines the loudest advocates for independence wanted would've only worsened the standing of the kingdom's ethnic minorities - Vienna did play ethnic groups against each other, but it didn't want them gone. 19th century nationalism may have resulted in the end of absolute monarchy in most of Europe, but it also paved the way for the 20th century's worst excesses.

Yeah, an independent Hungary along the lines the loudest advocates for independence wanted would've only worsened the standing of the kingdom's ethnic minorities - Vienna did play ethnic groups against each other, but it didn't want them gone. 19th century nationalism may have resulted in the end of absolute monarchy in most of Europe, but it also paved the way for the 20th century's worst excesses.
The thing is that the Hungarians lost their bid for independence, but then they remained at the top of the social pyramid in the Habsburg empire. The Croats in many ways saved the empire's bacon, but never got their own Slav kingdom in the empire.
The problem was that in the lands under the Crown of St. Stephen the social and the ethnic divisions mostly coincided, and this never changed until the empire went down in pieces: even on the eve of WW1, the ethnic Magyars were electing 94% of the Hungarian Parliament, while all the other minorities lumped together could elect just 6%.

Narrative Interlude #37: Pindemonte, Paintings and Politics
Villa Pindemonte, 7 April 1848 - Afternoon

The lunch had been delightful, thought Ferdinando, enlivened by many witty repartees. The two Cristinas had been the center of it, but not because they had monopolized the conversation: apparently they shared the gift of being able to involve all the guests, each one in her own peculiar way. Maria Cristina was all fire and ebullience, as usual, while Cristina di Belgioioso, while not lacking a strong tinge of fire herself, was more experienced and skilled in this craft: no surprise there, since she had graduated magna cum laude at the demanding school of the salons of Paris. It was like looking at a gifted young artist and her mentor, mused Ferdinando. Possibly Cristina di Belgioioso was the third advisor his sister needed (1), and in such a case the presence of the Lombard Princess and the friendship that had suddenly blossomed between the two Cristinas were another gift of the genius loci of this magical place. I will buy Villa Pindemonte, decided Ferdinando, and will have a small shrine built in the park: gratitude must be shown for such bountiful gifts. Compared to the Princesses, the two ladies-in-waiting faded a bit in the background, but still their youth and grace were complementing well the fire of the two Cristinas.
It is a pity that Camillo cannot be here, but at least one of us has to work - Ferdinando continued his line of thought, listening with one ear to the table conversation - and it must be said that the men he had invited were a worthy trio. Sir Ralph's experience as a diplomat was not in doubt, but he was proving to be most adept to social events too; young Augusto was also showing his mettle, he had blushed just two or three times today (Ferdinando had to hid a smile) and even when Maria Cristina had pointedly asked him what he had liked most in Venice, he had been able to extricate himself from the trap (2). Then there was Mocenigo, the epitome of patrician suavity and style. Who are you truly, my dear Count, which ambitions lurk beneath your mask? I have met you a few times now, in very different settings, and you have always said the right things, you have taken everything in stride: even when I dropped the bombshell of the unexpected activation of Case Rubicon, you barely hesitated before giving your assent. It says to me that you are not afraid of making decisions, that there is steel under your patrician mask. I also know that your grandfather was the last but one doge, your father prospered under Napoleon, and you prospered as well under Austria: it looks to me that flexibility runs in the family (3), not a bad thing in these times of rapid changes. So, back to the question: are you looking to become the eighth Mocenigo doge, and, most importantly, will you be the doge that Italy and the Republic need?

-------------------------------------

The sketches drawn by Signor Fattori since his arrival to Goito on the day of the battle were arranged in a presence room on the ground floor of the Villa, where the young painter was waiting together with colonel Montanelli. Giovanni Fattori had been busy: there were more than 20 of these sketches, all of them a vivid representation of the events. The painter was warmly praised by all for his work. Six sketches were outstanding: Ferdinando at the battle of Goito, waiting for the noise signalling the arrival of the Bersaglieri, Henri's charge at the head of the Carabinieri, a defeated Radetzki offering his sword to Ferdinand, Princess Maria Cristina kissing Henri on her arriva to Villa Pindemonte and the same Princess accepting the crown of Sicily.
Maria Cristina was the first to speak: "My congratulations on a job well done, Signor Fattori. I would like to buy a few of these sketches: Henri's charge, my arrival here and the offer of the crown. If you will accept a commission, I would also like to have them as oil paintings (4). "
"Your Royal Highness is too kind. It would be my honor if you will allow me to present these three humble sketches to you. I would be equally honored by your royal commission, but it will have to be after the end of the war. For the time being, I will have to be a soldier, and draw sketches on my own free time."
Then, bowing to Prince Ferdinando: "Your Royal Highness, I would also beg your indulgence, and ask you to accept the gift of some of my sketches. It would not be a problem for me to make a copy, should your choice overlap with the Princess' one."
"I do gladly accept your gift, Signor Fattori. I think that I would like a couple of oil paintings myself, but only a causa vinta. However, be informed that you will be in my escort for tomorrow's parley. I want a sketch of the parley, and make sure to remember well the expression of my father-in-law when I'll tell him it's time to surrender Verona"
Mocenigo was not a man to stay behind the others: "I will add my congratulations , Signor Fattori, and propose a commission too. Come to Venice for the feast of the Ascension, la festa della Sensa, as we call it in Venice. Venice is going to renew lo Sposalizio del Mare, the Wedding of the Sea, for the first time in 50 years: it is only proper, since the fleets of the Republic once again dominate the Adriatic. I will certainly want some sketches of the festivity, but I will also want a large oil painting (5)."
"Once again, I will be honored, Count Mocenigo. If I am not wrong, the feast of the Ascension will be celebrated on the last Sunday in May. Let us pray that the war will be over by that date, and that we will celebrate together the Ascension of Our Lord Jesus Christ, the Wedding and the Victory ."

Villa Pindemonte, 7 April 1848 - After Dark

Ferdinando was busy writing a letter when Count Cavour knocked on the door of his study and entered.
"Welcome back, Camillo. I wasn't sure you would be back tonight. "
"Thank you, Ferdinando. I trust you had a more enjoyable day that I had."
"It was a truly good day: I needed a little holiday, after all. Would you believe I decided to buy Villa Pindemonte? Don't stand there, though: pour us a brandy, and tell me all about the Royal Commission for Social Justice. "The prince smiled, before continuing: "Was it so bad? I trust that you have not signed away all of your property to the benefit of the disadvantaged classes."

"Small chance of that." The count snorted "It was actually very interesting and quite engrossing, as well as very civilized. I am fully convinced that the problem of the poorest classes is real, and must be confronted, but unfortunately at this stage I have many unanswered questions and very little in terms of practical solutions for it. I do agree with Signor Ferrari on one thing, though: the remedial measures set up by the Provisional Government in France are just a temporary stopgap, which is doing little to alleviate the suffering of the poor, and cannot even be kept up for long. The National Workshops are loosing money like a sieve: how long do you think the bourgeoisie will suffer this fiscal drain? In the countryside it will be even worse, since they were already hurting from the bad harvests, and now they have to pay a hefty surcharge on their taxes to finance this experiment, which doesn't bring them any benefit. The demo-socs (6) are unhappy too, because it is not enough, and also because they fear a repeat of the revolution of 1830: the bottom layers of the bourgeoisie and the artisans and laborers marched in the streets and manned the barricades, but got little or no benefit when the "citizen king" sat on the throne and Guizot became the true master of France. This time around they are not going to accept a repeat of that, so the alliance between the moderate liberals and the left is already badly frayed. The elections for the French Assembly are scheduled for the end of the month, and the demo-socs are very confident in a good electoral result, but I think they will be quite disappointed. If I am right, they will be marginalized in the Assembly, and will turn to the streets, which will frighten the moderates and push them toward a devil's bargain with the Legitimists and the Orleanists. The result will be violence in the streets and quite possibly a second revolution, a social one. (7)"

"It is a dire picture you are painting, the more so because I know you are not a pessimist by nature, nor easily frightened. Should we expect civil disturbances in Italy too?"

"I don't think so, for a number of reasons.
The first is that in many ways Italy and France are similar, but there are also very important social and economical differences. Italy is more backward in economy: there is not yet an equivalent in Italy of the class of freeholder farmers who were created in France after the first revolution, and there has not been a migration from the rural areas to the cities as happened in France after the industrialization started to bloom. Our backwardness means that our social problems will not dominate the agenda as much as they do in France, and they can have possibly have easier solutions: talk about a blessing in disguise.
The second is that the revolution in Italy has been quite different from the one in France, and for this you have to thank the Austrians, who have constantly managed to be a magnet for Italian hate over the past 30 years. You always speak about Italian cities freeing themselves through local insurrection: Palermo, Milan, Venice, Parma and Modena, not to mention all the cities in Veneto. This is true on the face of it, and also a very intelligent way to make friends among the insurgents. But what if the insurrections had not been bolstered by a victorious Sardinian army, led by the king and by yourself incidentally, which broke the back of Austrian dominance in Italy? Would Radetzki leave Milan, if you had not crossed the Ticino? He had just pulled his troops out of the city, put the artillery on the Bastioni and was cannonading the city into obedience.
There are republicans in Italy, but certainly they are not a majority, and everyone knows that there is a Republic in Venice only because you have pushed them in that direction. Which is why I am confident that Lombardy will not be a problem: the victor of Goito cannot be refused, because he has been so smart not to make demands, and has imposed no conditions.
And then there is the third reason: we can observe what the French do, judge the effectiveness of their measures in the field of social justice, and plan accordingly. We are going to have a grace period of a few months at least before the social chickens come to roost: we must make the most of it, and find a solution to the conundrum which is baffling France, and Germany too judging from what my uncle wrote me, while our republicans and socialists are mollified by the sweet wine of victory against Austria.
I do not have a plan, yet, but I have some ideas churning in my mind. All these ideas have one word in common: reform.
There is a lot to be reformed in the legal system of Sardinia (8), and even more in the legal systems of the other states you have convinced to sign up for an Italian Confederation. The same applies to economical matters: agriculture must be improved, industrialization must be a priority, commerce must be expanded. All these require changes, momentous ones: it's better not to rush into reforms, but we have some time to plan: I will suggest the delegates here to start thinking about reforms, and it would be a good thing if you do the same with Count Balbo in Turin. Of course, the implementation of these reforms will have to wait for the elections, which are planned for the end of April: an elected parliament is the best tool to implement reforms. In the meantime, I have been told by Count Casati that there are plenty of projects which have been discussed in Lombardy over the years but have been constantly vetoed by Austria. I understand it is the same in Veneto, in particular with regards to the Arsenale in Venice. Public works can employ a large number of unskilled or half-skilled laborers, and this will help. Another suggestion to make to Count Balbo is to have a look at the situation on the docks of Genoa, and see if he can find some way to make things better: Baron Ricasoli tells me that Marquis Ridolfi has been instructed to do the same in Livorno.
There is a saying: "A rising tide lifts all boats", and a prosperous economy will provide such a tide . It will be our task to make sure that all the boats, or at the very least a vast majority of them, get lifted, not just a selected few. I am confident enough that we may defuse the danger of a revolution without the need of repression."

"A cogent presentation: I didn't expect otherwise from you. I may be able to add a fourth buttress to your optimism: the Confederation set-up means that each state will have to take care of suitable measures to reduce the risk of a social revolution. I do agree with you on the necessity to plan the much delayed reforms in the judiciary and in the economy, and I will write to Count Balbo to start the process. If there is an opportunity, you should do the same with the Milanese tomorrow, as well as with the other delegations later on. It must be made clear that they are what we plan to carry on in the Kingdom of Sardinia, and it is not an imposition on others. As a matter of fact, I am somehow relieved I have not to decide right now what are good and proper reforms in states which may have social problems which are quite different from Piedmont or Lombardy.
Carry on, Camillo. I know I can rely on you."

Footnotes
  1. The other two being Count Cavour and general Menabrea​
  2. Maria Cristina clearly refers to the famous ball at Palazzo Mocenigo, where Augusto fell in love with the young Giustiniani​
  3. As a matter of fact, Alvise Francesco Mocenigo did not share the Mocenigo blood: he was born when his mother (who was the wife of Alvise Mocenigo) had a brief relation with an Austrian colonel. Alvise Mocenigo adopted the boy, and raised him as his son and heir. A classic case where nurture trumps nature: the end result was a true Mocenigo.​
  4. Giovanni Fattori painted all three subjects between 1852 and 1854. The "Offer of the Crown" can be seen in the Sicilian Parliament, while the other two paintings are in the Royal Museum of Palermo.​
  5. The "Wedding of the Sea" can be admired in the Ducal Palace of Venice​
  6. The democrats started to be widely known as "democrats-socialists" (or demo-socs for short) only after the elections at the end of April, but apparently the name started to circulate earlier, since Signor Ferrari knows it​
  7. Cavour's prediction came true IOTL: the election of April 1848 returned a majority for the moderates, and the demo-socs, feeling marginalized, took the political struggle to the streets. The Luxembourg Commission, which had been established to find a solution for the massive unemployment, never produced anything worthwhile and was dissolved late in May. On 15 June the National Workshops were closed down, leading to massive unrest and barricades in Paris, until the Assembly voted almost-dictatorial powers to Gen. Cavaignac, who declared martial law in Paris and repressed the insurrection between 26 and 28 June (the Bloody Days of June).​
  8. IOTL, a reform of the inheritance laws (abolition of fidecommissi, primogeniture, commendams and other relics of the past) was voted by the Parliament in Turin in 1849. The other reforms were voted only after Cavour became Prime Minister. An insurrection started in Genoa, after news of the defeat of the Sardinian army at Novara and the (false) news that Genoa would be ceded to Austria, and was bloodily repressed by Gen. Alfonso Lamarmora.​
Made in @LordKalvan

Status
Not open for further replies.