Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I was just joking: "Persuasion" could well be the title of a TTL biography of Cavour. Regarding TTL Italian Dickens or Victor Hugo, I would really love to see one. An early possibility is having Alessandro Manzoni back in action: in OTL 1850 he rejected his earlier views on mixing intention and historical facts, favoring the search for historical truth. Why not doing this with facts he had partially witnessed first-hand, and of which there were plenty of good an reliable resources?
I can see a heated debate among future historians: was Cavour the puppet master in the realm of politics or was he the faithful hound splashing in the murky waters of politics to carry out his master's commands? I am sure there will be a minority arguing that Ferdinando and Cavour were that strange animal found only in fairy tales, with two heads and a single common will? XD

No Manzoni, please! He's a man of yesterday, not tomorrow. And no D'Azeglio either. TTL Italy does not need anymore novels set in a distant past: Italians need to be told in an entertaining way what has happened to the Italian people in the fateful 1848.

I can see a heated debate among future historians: was Cavour the puppet master in the realm of politics or was he the faithful hound splashing in the murky waters of politics to carry out his master's commands? I am sure there will be a minority arguing that Ferdinando and Cavour were that strange animal found only in fairy tales, with two heads and a single common will? XD

No Manzoni, please! He's a man of yesterday, not tomorrow. And no D'Azeglio either. TTL Italy does not need anymore novels set in a distant past: Italians need to be told in an entertaining way what has happened to the Italian people in the fateful 1848.

As a fan of historical fiction, I disagree on this, but I agree on how Manzoni is not deserving of the pedestal he's been put on.

Works like I Promessi Sposi, as well as De Amicis' Cuore, are so infused with the worst kind of Catholic hypocrisy and morality, the fact that they've been shoved down the throats of several generations of students says a lot about what kind of country Victor Emmanuel II brought to the world. Manzoni can still pen his 1600s novel, but if I were him, I'd make it all about the Nun of Monza, that's a hell of a tragic heroine there. :p

I wonder, is there anyone among the readers of this TL that's not Italian? Just wondering, since yesterday I came across a post on Reddit where a guy from Norway heaped praise upon praise on Italian quiz shows of all things, after his Italian girlfriend got him acquainted with the worst the peninsula's television has to offer... :p

Last edited:
As a fan of historical fiction, I disagree on this, but I agree on how Manzoni is not deserving of the pedestal he's been put on.

Works like I Promessi Sposi, as well as De Amicis' Cuore, are so infused with the worst kind of Catholic hypocrisy and morality, the fact that they've been shoved down the throats of several generations of students says a lot about what kind of country Victor Emmanuel II brought to the world. Manzoni can still pen his 1600s novel, but if I were him, I'd make it all about the Nun of Monza, that's a hell of a tragic heroine there. :p

I wonder, is there anyone among the readers of this TL that's not Italian? Just wondering, since yesterday I came across a post on Reddit where a guy from Norway heaped praise upon praise on Italian quiz shows of all things, after his Italian girlfriend got him acquainted with the worst the peninsula's television has to offer... :p
I like historical fiction too, provided that it is well written (I'm not even complaining too much about any liberty the author takes with facts, but it must be a good story).
The problem is that the production of Italian authors should also include novels about current times: I can understand that during the 1820-1848 period they were veeery careful about censorship, and so preferred to write about different times, less politically suspicious (I guess that if the Austrians had been masters of Milan at the time of the plague, Manzoni would not have written the book), but after TTL 1848 that shouldn't be a concern. Maybe someone who IOTL was killed in 1848 will survive ITTL, and will write the Great Italian Novel. Let me hope, at least!!!

I like historical fiction too, provided that it is well written (I'm not even complaining too much about any liberty the author takes with facts, but it must be a good story).
The problem is that the production of Italian authors should also include novels about current times: I can understand that during the 1820-1848 period they were veeery careful about censorship, and so preferred to write about different times, less politically suspicious (I guess that if the Austrians had been masters of Milan at the time of the plague, Manzoni would not have written the book), but after TTL 1848 that shouldn't be a concern. Maybe someone who IOTL was killed in 1848 will survive ITTL, and will write the Great Italian Novel. Let me hope, at least!!!

You're right about censorship - still, different Italian states will have a different outlook on such matters, even while part of the same country: I doubt Garibaldi's anti-clerical pseudo-novels would be well-received in the Papal States, for example. :p

You're right about censorship - still, different Italian states will have a different outlook on such matters, even while part of the same country: I doubt Garibaldi's anti-clerical pseudo-novels would be well-received in the Papal States, for example. :p
Right. Of course there are a few easy fixes for this problem: I will not bore you describing them :p
Anyway, if there is any form of Confederation in the cards, the rules on censorship should be reasonably homogeneous (which I admit is not a given: IIRC, in the USA a state could forbid the sale of particular books. I may be wrong, though, and what I said applied to choosing books to stock public libraries). OTOH, assuming there is a Confederation, and one or two states keep more restrictive rules, it would be a bit difficult to avoid being flooded by "forbidden books", since they can always be printed where they are permitted. Maybe the anti-clerical pseudo novels would be an even greater sell.

Well, I wanted to give Manzoni a possibility to redeem himself, but never mind :) I did not particularly enjoy the reading of the Promessi Sposi in my first two years of High School, so I do hope that TTL will have a better "Italian Novel". I particularly like @LordKalvan 's idea of a trilogy, which might be "The Winter of Italy", set anywhere between 1820 and the harsh winters of 1846-1847 (I imagine that 1820 or 1831 could be best choices), "Springtime for Italy" covering the events of 18498, and then "Summer of Italy", set at least a decade after the events of the second book.
Also, I second @Neoteros' question. Also I am curious what the Norwegian guy likes about Italian TV quiz shows, whose most iconic moments (like the famous "Per me è la cipolla") clearly do not lie within the quiz per se.

By all means, do it! I think he doesn't deserve the damnatio memoriae others suggest.
No damnatio memoriae, that would be too much.
I don't deny Manzoni a place among the great Italian writers of the 19th century, but in 1848 he's already 63. I'd prefer some new blood to come to the front

Maybe in TTL he will revise his March 1821 (which he has not yet published), comparing March 1821 with March 1848

Last edited:
Here's the full thread.

And I'm still not sure if it's an elaborate troll or not. :p
And someone managed to put Celentano's Adrian on the thread. I am confused. Not sure my life will be the same after reading this. XD Anyway, thank you for pointing out this to me! Now, as a huge Boris (for non-Italians, an Italian cult tv series about the world of making tv series in Italy) I want a version of Boris for the world of TV Quizzes XD

No damnatio memoriae, that would be too much.
I don't deny Manzoni a place among the great Italian writers of the 19th century, but in 1848 he's already 63. I'd prefer some new blood to come to the front

Maybe in TTL he will revise his March 1821 (which he has not yet published), comparing March 1821 with March 1848
I believe he would definitely revise March 1821. Maybe even the Promessi Sposi, but maybe that would be too much. In any case, It will be interesting to see how TTL Italian literature will evolve. I believe that it is safe to say that most of the writers born after the POD but before 1848/1849 will likely be born anyhow, but that's debatable wether they will become writers or not ITTL. Carducci and Verga probably will follow this career, but with vastly different outcomes. I am sad we probably have butterflies away Pirandello, though.

I believe he would definitely revise March 1821. Maybe even the Promessi Sposi, but maybe that would be too much. In any case, It will be interesting to see how TTL Italian literature will evolve. I believe that it is safe to say that most of the writers born after the POD but before 1848/1849 will likely be born anyhow, but that's debatable wether they will become writers or not ITTL. Carducci and Verga probably will follow this career, but with vastly different outcomes. I am sad we probably have butterflies away Pirandello, though.
March 1821 has been shown to a few friends, possibly, but it was never published, AFAIK. It can be gutted and rewritten, if Alessandro feels inspired enough. Or he could write another poem, dedicated to the spring of 1848, and publish both.
I don't think he's going to touch the Promessi Sposi: it's a historical novel, completed, published and well known. Why change it?

Carducci's father is not going to loose his practice in Maremma, given the very different political climate of post-1848.
Maybe his connection to the democrats will push him into a better position, even a political one. Carducci should be 13 right now, and full of fire and patriotism. Apparently he wrote something for the war of 1848 IOTL, but his patriotic hopes were dashed by the Salasco armistice, and then the defeat of Novara, the following year. ITTL he is not going to be disappointed for sure, and also the life of his parents will be much easier. Is this going to make him a better poet? Which career is he going to follow?

Giovanni Verga is even younger, just 8 years old. His early life would not be too different, but it is quite possible that his father will get into politics: he was a member of the Parliament of 1812, which means he got to know Ruggero Settimo, and would be attracted by the new, liberal way of life. How this is going to affect the life of Giovanni is impossible to say. He might even end up becoming the Italian Hugo, writing the story of the years 1815-1865 from the point of view of a Sicilian (apparently he was always attracted by the career of a writer), but he might end up in journalism or in politics. Again, who knows? His future life is a clean slate, which needs to be filled in.

March 1821 has been shown to a few friends, possibly, but it was never published, AFAIK. It can be gutted and rewritten, if Alessandro feels inspired enough. Or he could write another poem, dedicated to the spring of 1848, and publish both.
I don't think he's going to touch the Promessi Sposi: it's a historical novel, completed, published and well known. Why change it?

Carducci's father is not going to loose his practice in Maremma, given the very different political climate of post-1848.
Maybe his connection to the democrats will push him into a better position, even a political one. Carducci should be 13 right now, and full of fire and patriotism. Apparently he wrote something for the war of 1848 IOTL, but his patriotic hopes were dashed by the Salasco armistice, and then the defeat of Novara, the following year. ITTL he is not going to be disappointed for sure, and also the life of his parents will be much easier. Is this going to make him a better poet? Which career is he going to follow?

Giovanni Verga is even younger, just 8 years old. His early life would not be too different, but it is quite possible that his father will get into politics: he was a member of the Parliament of 1812, which means he got to know Ruggero Settimo, and would be attracted by the new, liberal way of life. How this is going to affect the life of Giovanni is impossible to say. He might even end up becoming the Italian Hugo, writing the story of the years 1815-1865 from the point of view of a Sicilian (apparently he was always attracted by the career of a writer), but he might end up in journalism or in politics. Again, who knows? His future life is a clean slate, which needs to be filled in.
The idea regarding the "Promessi Sposi" was linked to his late change of ideas regarding history and fiction, plus this different 1848, but at this point, you are right that either ho writes another historical novel to match his new ideas or he stays put as he did IOTL.
Regarding Carducci and Verga, I totally agree. I like the idea of Verga being an Italian Hugo very much. About Carducci, I would say he will be a better poet than IOTL, but that's just a personal wish. There are some things I like very much about him and others I don't (I am still perplexed by the whole idea of the Odi Barbare, to be fair).

I wouldn't mind if Manzoni decides to write a historical novel about Milano and Lombardy in the 1820-1830, but he would need to be careful because too many people are still alive. Alternatively, about the impact of the French Revolution of 1789 again on Lombardy.

I would say that a good start would be to send Verga to Paris and London: maybe a sabbatical Grand Tour before starting the university. Another thing to keep in mind, is that in his youth he will have access to many books which would not have been approved by OTL censors.

I don't mind the Odi Barbare too much, but I suppose Carducci would have a sunnier way of looking at life ITTL, so his poems might end up being quite different.

Narrative Interlude #27: Monsignor non porta pena
Villa Pindemonte, 5 April 1848, Early Morning

"The best of the day to you, Monsignore. I trust you have recovered form your fatigue." Prince Ferdinand was a morning person, and had already managed to go through the correspondence of the night before, when Monsignor Corboli Bussi joined him for breakfast.
"Your Highness is very kind, and I thank you for your hospitality: I rested very well. "
"Count Cavour was supposed to join us, but he may have been delayed a little. Let us start to break our fast, and of course you may explain the reasons for your arduous trip to Isola della Scala."
"I will explain everything: my mission has to deal with a few different issues. The first, and the most significant, is that the Holy Father is becoming concerned with the behavior of General Durando. He was not supposed to cross on his own authority the border with Veneto, and his proclamation to the troops was not well received in Rome (1): crusades are a thing of the distant past, and moreover proclaiming a crusade against a Catholic monarch is completely unacceptable. Gen. Durando was instructed to defend the border of the Papal States, and to place himself and his troops under the command of your father."
Ferdinando kept his expression uncommitted, wondering if this was going to be a repeat of the Nuncio's tirade in Turin.(2)
"I do agree with you, Monsignore: the proclamation was a bit too harsh, although I understand it was well received by the troops. It is also true, however, that foreign oppression should be something belonging to a distant past, together with the crusades, but unfortunately... we live in a fallen world. I will let General Durando know of my displeasure with his words, since I am sure that the Holy Father has also equally reprimanded the officers in charge of the repressions in Rimini, barely three years ago. Christian sentiments must always be upheld, I am sure that no one would dispute that. (3)"
The Monsignore was about tot say something, but Ferdinand preceded him,
"My father is unfortunately confined to bed, and has given to me the authority of Lieutenant of the Realm and Commander of the army while he recovers" If he recovers, thought Ferdinand: the health of the king was not improving, unfortunately, in stark contrast with the King's apparent peace of mind, a feeling Ferdinand could not help but envy sometimes.
"I met with Gen. Durando in Venice a few days ago, and all the movements of his troops have been discussed in detail with me and with our allies in Venice. The General also assured me that he was in constant contact with the Minister for War in Rome, Prince Aldobrandini (4), and that he would keep him informed of any development. I was also shown the decrees ordering the formation of an expeditionary corps and authorizing the enrolment of volunteers under Gen. Ferrari. The mission was clearly defined: ensure the safety of the Papal States and join the other Italian forces in their operations. I also know that His Holiness blessed the papal troops and the volunteers on their departure from Rome, and invoked the blessings of God upon the Italian peoples, with very clear words: "Dio benedica l'Italia"(5). I assume that all these things are true, and therefore I feel compelled to ask you, Monsignore, to answer a very simple question: what has changed in Rome? "

The Monsignore looked embarrassed, and was saved for a moment by the arrival of Cavour: "Your Highness, Monsignore: my most heartfelt apologies for being late. It was a very long night."
"You are forgiven, my dear Count, and I trust that the Monsignore will be equally forgiving and refrain from imposing a penance."
"There is not even the need to be forgiven, Count Cavour. I am sure you have been working very hard and there are many demands on your time." The Monsignore had completely regained his composure " I will try to clarify as much as I can the issues in Rome, Your Highness. His Holiness the Pope is both the Monarch of the Papal States and the Spiritual Father of more than 200 million Catholics all over the world. The Pope is also under a fideicommissum to preserve the integrity of the Church, to hand it over intact to his successor, as it happened for 18 centuries. There is a growing concern in the Curia that the words and the actions of the Holy Father might be misinterpreted, and construed as indicating that he has a special preference for Italy and Italians, to the detriment of the Catholics who live in other countries. Before my departure, he spoke to me: "I love in equal way all the people who are faithful to the Catholic doctrine, and prosper in the Church. My blessing of the Italian people was a prayer to God to shower on them the blessing of the peace, and this prayer I have spoken for any other people, since they are equally dear to me, even if the Italian people are physically closer. (6)" I trust that these words answer your question, and may help you to appreciate the difficult position in which the Holy Father finds himself. I will add that the battles and the deaths in Northern Italy have perturbed the souls of many of the Cardinals, and that Cardinal Antonelli recently resigned from Secretary of State for this very reason (7) ."

Neither the prince nor the count expressed any dissatisfaction with what appeared to be an unsatisfactory answer.
There was just a single nugget of truth in all these mealy-mouthed words: the Pope had to take care of 200 millions of Catholics, not just 25 million Italians, and the integrity of the Church was the paramount concern.

"As a faithful Catholic , I look to His Holiness as my spiritual guide. As an Italian, I dearly hope to be able to look at him also as the President of an Italian Confederacy, based on criteria of freedom and justice for all." There was a spark of outright confusion in Corboli's eyes. "I am sure there will be the opportunity to further discuss these topics in the next few days. Is there anything else you would like to discuss with us right now, Monsignore?"
"Just something very prosaic, I am afraid. The Secretary of State had negotiated at the beginning of February a loan with a French bank: one million scudi, to cover the deficit in this year's budget. Unfortunately, due to recent ... events in France, it was not possible to finalize the loan. The Secretary of State has instructed me to enquire if the kingdom of Sardinia would be willing to lend such a sum to the Papal States (8)."
"I am afraid this issue will have to be discussed in Turin, Monsignore: the Minister for Finance and the Treasury will have to look at the budget. Please consider that keeping an army in the field is already straining Sardinian finances, though. However, I can promise you the Sardinian army will take care of supplies for the expeditionary corps in Veneto and the volunteers in Dalmatia. Besides, as a Lieutenant of the Realm we are bound by the Statute, and we cannot take any decision without discussing with our Ministry(9)" The last sentence had been pronounced with kingly gravity, with a particular stress on the plurale majestatis.
The Prince went on with cold politeness:
"If there is nothing else to discuss, may I ask for your indulgence, Monsignore? There are many other tasks which await me."

An outright and clear dismissal. Corboli Bussi could not even feel annoyed: after all, he was offering the Pope's remonstrances and asking for money at the same time, small wonder the Prince was displeased.
"Certainly, Your Highness. May God's blessings be with you."
"Thank you Monsignore. Please remember that there is a ceremonial event planned for noon today: I trust you'll be in attendance."
"I will, but only as a private person. The issue of the crown of Sicily is being debated in the Curia, and the Holy Father has not yet announced his position. I beg your indulgence, but I cannot do otherwise."
"Which means he is disapproving, while the King in Naples has lodged formal protests with Rome. Birds of a feather flock together", Ferdinand thought.

Footnotes
  1. The Monsignore was not wrong. Durando's proclamation staeted with calling to "war against barbarism", went on asking for "the extermination of all God's foes" and ended up with a classic "God wills it"« Il santo Pontefice ha benedetto le vostre spade , che unite a quelle di Carlo Alberto debbono concordi muovere allo esterminio dei nemici di Dio . . . . . una tal guerra della civiltà contro la barbarie , è guerra non solo nazionale , ma altamente cristiana . Soldati ! è convenevole dunque , ed ho stabilito che ad essa tutti moviamo fregiati della croce di Cristo . Quanti appartengono al corpo di operazione la porteranno sul cuore , della forma di quella che vedranno sul mio . Con essa ed in essa saremo vincitori , come furono i nostri padri . Sia nostro grido di guerra : Iddio lo vuole »​
  2. See Narrative Interlude #5: A regular Prime Minister's Tuesday​
  3. Ferdinando refers to the aftermath of the 1845 Rimini riots, described by D'Azeglio in a notorious pamphlet. Pius IX was elected in June 1846, one month later he granted an amnesty for political crimes (which was largely publicized and turned him almost overnight in the poster boy of liberalism). Three days after granting the amnesty, he received in a solemn audience the officers who had been in charge of the very harsh repression of the riots the year before, to praise, decorate and promote them. This second fact was not publicized much.​
  4. Prince Aldobrandini was the Minister for War in the first Papal ministry which included lay persons. There were two ministerial decrees, one ordering the formation of the Expedition Corps, made up of four regiments of infantry and two regiments of cavalry, with usual complements of artillery and engineers, and one authorizing the formation of a Volunteer Corps​
  5. IOTL, Pius IX gave the public blessings on 30 March 1848​
  6. These words are taken from the "Non Semel" Papal allocution of 30 April 1848, when Pius IX pulled out of the war​
  7. See Narrative Interlude #5: A regular Prime Minister's Tuesday​
  8. The request of loan happened IOTL too. Monsignor Corboli Bussi was sent to Peschiera to meet Carlo Alberto, to ask the king to keep Durando under control, and also to ask for a loan of one million scudi, since the loan negotiated in France was derailed by the French revolution. The loan was not granted.​
  9. Charles Albert used similar words ("As a constitutional king..") IOTL to avoid giving a straight answer to the Sicilian envoys offering the Crown of Sicily to Ferdinand for the second time​
Made in @LordKalvan & Tarabas

#12: 1848 in Europe, Part 1
From "1848, A year of Revolutions" by William S. Chase (1)

Preface

The year 1848 was remarkably eventful.
To this country, it brought the termination of our work of conquest in Mexico, a change of administration which elevated General Taylor to the Presidency and the Whig party to power, and, finally, the discovery of the Gold Regions in California, a discovery realizing dreams of the fabled Dorado of the past, and pregnant with mighty consequences for the future.
In Europe, 1848 was emphatically a year of Revolutions. "The social and political convulsions which marked its course, the tottering of thrones and dynasties, the irruption of armed democracy into the council-chambers of Kings, the uprising of oppressed and dormant nationalities, and the consequent ruin of the cumbrous fabrics raised over them by diplomacy are incidents of that eventful year, which have been watched by contemporary spectators with the lively emotions due to such dramatic spectacles, and to which inquiry will turn, for many a generation to come, as to the starting points of current history"(2)
[..]
The French and the Italian Revolutions(3) properly claim the largest space in this work. Although many of those events were so sudden and unexpected as to seem premature, like the deposition of King Louis Philippe in February(4) or the sudden and completely unexpectedrebirth of the Republic of Venice, the explosive forces resulting in them had long been accumulating. Future historians will certainly debate at length how it happened that long-serving politicians like Prince Metternich in Vienna or Francois Guizot in Paris were so blind to miss the mounting signs of danger which had been straining the fabric of European society for almost a decade, and even at the very last moment remained arrogant and complacent, firmly convinced that nothing could challenge their position.
[..]
The already daunting task of describing the events of that fateful year is made even more difficult by the close connection and consequences that events in one corner of the continent had in the others, even in the not obvious ones. If, for instance, it was somehow natural and expected that the revolution in France might touch off an insurrection in Vienna on March 15th and the subsequent resignation of Europe's most feared oppressor Metternich would resonate in Pest, Prague, Milan and Venice, who could imagine that the events in the former Duchies of Parma and Modena would have had such severe consequences in Paris (5) or that Berlin, of all the cities in Europe, would have been the theatre of the most unexpected and at the same time most bloody insurrection, which frightened the king of Prussia into the promise of a Constitution before prudently leaving the city for the safety of his palace of Sans Souci at Potsdam (6)?
[..]
If it is true that London and Paris were sympathetic to the Italian cause, it is perhaps truer the sudden and shining awakening of the Italian power in the middle of the Mediterranean was certainly a concern, for it brought with itself fear for the new and unknown. This, coupled with the unexpected rise of the new generation of rulers of the House of Savoy, explains the ambiguous moves regarding the Sicilian throne. For while the British ambassador unofficially endorsed the accession of the fabled Maria Cristina of Savoy in Palermo, in London was printed -and hurriedly shipped to Sicily- a manifesto suggesting to offer the crown to Louis Napoleon Bonaparte, magnifying his qualities and riches (7); while France, per Lamartine's own words, would "not attack her unoffending neighbors, nor exercise an underhand nor incendiary propaganda among them"(8), the rise of a member of the House d'Orleans, covered in military glory, even as a mere Prince Consort was enough to try and covertly break this policy, by prompting to said throne either a nine-year-old Tuscan prince or the very man who had chosen a Queen in the first place (9).
[..]

The events of Germany cannot but raise mixed feelings in any man that loves liberty. (10)

[..]
Whatever may be the convulsions of 1848, and of the subsequent events of 1849, their tendency and their ultimate results cannot fail to be good.

Footnotes
  1. An actual OTL book published in 1850; we are presenting here excerpts from its TTL version
  2. This is the OTL beginning of the preface
  3. "the French Revolution" IOTL
  4. Events in France, as well as the rest of Europe until Goito, follow the same path as OTL
  5. A shameless teaser
  6. Berliners, upon receiving the news of the insurrection of Vienna and the dismissal of Metternich, submitted a petition to the king asking for the suppression of censorship and the convening of the United Estates of Prussia. The petition was rejected, and what had started as a peaceful demonstration quickly turned into a riot and then in outright insurrection. Close to 1,000 Berliners died in the fight, then the king called back the soldiers, and promised a Constitution before leaving for Sans Souci. Once he was there, though, he started to change again his mind. It is said that the council was hotly debating what to do, when suddenly a young Junker from East Prussia sat at a piano, and started playing the Attack March of the Prussian infantry: his name was Otto von Bismarck.
  7. This is OTL, as strange as it may seem. The unofficial position of the British Government was that there were no formal objection to a Savoy on the throne, but official recognition would come only after the stability of the new kingdom would be proven.
  8. Words taken from Lamartine's circular of March 4th IOTL
  9. IOTL the French, thinking that a Savoy on the throne of Sicily would have made Sardinia too strong, made some unofficial moves to prop either Carlo Salvatore von Hapsburg-Lorraine or even Ruggero Settimo on the throne; IOTL, given Henri's marriage to Maria Cristina, they try harder, but Ruggero Settimo's bold move to bring the crisis to a conclusion with a vote in parliament does not allow the French interests time to act.
  10. Yet another shameless teaser: for the time being, there is unrest in the Rhinelands, the Grand Duchies of Baden, Oldenburg and Hesse and the kingdoms of Bavaria, Saxony and Hanover. The Grand Duke of Baden and the king of Bavaria abdicate as IOTL, and constitutional regimes are slowly being put in place. The events reported from the Grand Duchy of Oldenburg may be seen as typical: when the Grand Duke received a petition with thousands of signatures asking for the abolition of censorship and a constitution, he tried to procrastinate making a decision, arguing that such a major decision could not be taken without giving due consideration to all sides of the debate, and could not be rushed. His Prime Minister replied remembering to the Grand Duke that that had been his own advice, in 1830!
Made in Tarabas & @LordKalvan

Status
Not open for further replies.