Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Roman Republic is sending a delegation while under Ferrari's Dictatorship? I honestly expected this to happen after its end, although the "velvet divorce" may be easier inside the Confederation, will be interesting to see how the Papacy question evolve in the future (anything will be better than OTL)

Will be good to see the roman delegates meet the "prescient guy" who sent Ferrari in such a timely fashion.
The Roman delegation will be high level, and may include an interesting new entry, another one of those guys who were unlucky IOTL, but who will enjoy a much better and longer life ITTL. If you want to make a guess, be my guest: it should not be very hard to pick the right guy. ;)

For the time being, the Pope is holed up in Gaeta, Antonelli has been appointed Cardinal Legate for Rome (but is keeping a very low profile) and gen. Ferrari has started his 6 month dictatorship. Elections have been called, and a constitutional convention will be empaneled soon.

The question of the Papacy will have to be settled in due time, but the end of Temporal Power has already been unanimously voted by the Provisional Parliament, together with the decision to apply for membership in the Confederation: it is worth noting that the Confederation has always accepted the political set-ups chosen by the various provisional governments (Sicily, Cispadania, Lombardy, Veneto), provided that they were in accordance with the Principals agreed at the Convention at Isola della Scala.

The "prescient guy" will explain to the Roman delegation that no prescience was needed: it was rather a matter of preparing in advance contingency plans to cover different possible outcomes, which is a very reasonable approach for anyone dealing with unsettled times. After all, the dash to Goito was planned in advance, same as the immediate advance towards the Adige or sending an Expeditionary Force to Friuli. I grant you that the visit to Venice was decided on the fly, but the opportunity of looking into the possibility of a suitable political arrangement in Veneto was too good to pass. ;)

Too many things to look forward to: the mess in Germany, the peace treaty, Deals and meetings in Verona, the fate of the Austrian Empire (with consequences in the Balkans, and therefore Italian foreign policy right at its borders) ...... aaargh!

Too many things to look forward to: the mess in Germany, the peace treaty, Deals and meetings in Verona, the fate of the Austrian Empire (with consequences in the Balkans, and therefore Italian foreign policy right at its borders) ...... aaargh!
Now you understand why it takes time to write interludes :p
You forgot Naples and France, at the very least :D

Yeah there are indeed lots of issues,but you can try wrapping them up one at a time (of course some of them are truly connected to esch other). Good update! I always love to see the chats of Camillo and Ferdinando.

Yeah there are indeed lots of issues,but you can try wrapping them up one at a time (of course some of them are truly connected to esch other). Good update! I always love to see the chats of Camillo and Ferdinando.
These chats are the best way i have found to wrap things together, because everything is unfortunately linked to and affected by everything else.
I am quite happy you like them

I wonder how happy the Umbrians and Marchegiani will actually be to remain under Roman rule. If they protest it could throw a spanner into the works of Cavour and Ferdinando's thusfar unimpeded plans. I'd like to see how they deal with some kind of setback.

I wonder how happy the Umbrians and Marchegiani will actually be to remain under Roman rule. If they protest it could throw a spanner into the works of Cavour and Ferdinando's thusfar unimpeded plans. I'd like to see how they deal with some kind of setback.

AFAIK, they were far more tolerant of Papal rule than the people of Romagna.

The Habsburg realm is probably falling apart at the moment though. :p

I wouldn't say that Umbria and Marche would remain under Roman rule, but rather that they would finally have a share in the political life of the Roman Republic, which is going to be very different from the old Papal rule.
Besides the obvious geographic proximity and historical precedents, the economy of both regions is closely dependent on Rome, and Rome is dependent on them in return: if they stick together, the first years will be hard but survivable, and as soon as the railways are built the economy will improve.
There is no practical alternative IMHO on the political side either: the political and intellectual heart of this state can only be Rome.
We'll have to see how the brand new Roman Republic will be organized: my guess is that they will take a leaf from the French constitution, with universal male suffrage and a centralized state, and possibly a charter of rights even more progressive than in the rest of Italy.

I would also add that the split between the northern and the southern half of the former Papal States has not been masterminded by Ferdinando and Cavour. They would be equally happy dealing with a single entity, provided that the Principals of the Confederation are upheld. The decision of walking away and set up shop on their own was made by people of the Former Legations, and this was caused by historical and economic reasons.

I honestly found no record of huge resentment in Perugia or Ancona against the Roman Republic (although probably the symbol of Papal domination over Perugia, the Rocca Paolina will be razed completely to the ground ITTL 1848) and as @LordKalvan said, there is little to no economic interest for them to break apart from Rome. This is a rather different situation than the one in Bologna.

Narrative Interlude #53: The End of the Beginning-Part 2
The End of the Beginning
Part 2: Roman Politics

Verona, Guardia Nuova - 10 May 1848, Late Morning

Cavour was not surprised when the moment of mirth did not last long.

"Tell me your take of the situation in Rome, Camillo. I have to admit that I am not fully up-to-date, although I have certainly read the dispatches of our ambassador there."

"Gen. Ferrari has moved with commendable caution, and apparently without stepping on too many toes. The order in Rome has been quickly restored, and the city is apparently quiet. Three regiments of the National Guard were sent to cover a potential Neapolitan invasion, should the king there feel rambunctious: I don't think that's the case, but it is a reasonable precaution to take. The Parliament, in joint session, has confirmed the appointment of Ferrari as a dictator, has petitioned him to call new elections for a Constitutional Convention and to apply to join the Confederation. As the last act, they voted for the dissolution of the Chambers. The government also resigned in the hands of the dictator, but most of the ministers will stay on as caretakers. I understand that the Prince of Canino has been instrumental in these developments, but neither the role of the Pope nor the future form of government have been discussed, as he had originally proposed. Speaking frankly, I am quite relieved: I was afraid that Carlo Luciano Bonaparte might refuse to stop where he did, and we all know how these Bonaparte are-or wish they were - but luckily he did stop.. A vote of parliament in favor of the end of Temporal Power and the proclamation of a republic in Rome would have been quite premature: it is much more reasonable to defer the final step to a legitimate and freely elected assembly. Time is on our side now, so it's better to leave the first move to Pio IX, while the dictator shows restrain and respect for the legality. Free elections and a constitutional convention should leave no doubt about the future of Rome.
The dictator immediately responded to the parliamentary petitions by calling new elections for the first Sunday in June, on the basis of a universal male franchise. Ferrari is showing a very good perception of politics, or, as I believe, he has a good advisor. He also appointed a triumvirate, the Giunta di Governo, to oversee the day-to-day operations until a new government may be democratically installed, and decreed that a delegation would be sent immediately to Verona. The triumvirate originally included Prince Tommaso Corsini, Senator of Rome, Count Francesco Camerata, Senator of Ancona, and Count Gaetano Zucchini, Senator of Bologna. Prince Corsini is a very good choice, according to my friend Mamiani, and while pretty old is still very active: a moderate, but with good relation with the democrats and a personal friendship with Ciceruacchio. There is not much to say about Count Camerata, his appointment was an obvious bone thrown to the people of the Marche. Count Zucchini declined the offer, and this news came back to Rome together with a copy of the deliberations of the assembly at Imola, declaring the separation of the former Legations from the main body of the Papal States. Ferrari replaced Zucchini with signor Francesco Guardabassi, from Perugia. The latter is a former member of the Carboneria and a friend of Mazzini, but his record as Commander of the Civic guard of Perugia in 1833 tells that he's a honorable and sensible fellow, highly regarded in Perugia. I hear he's been active in modernizing agriculture in his estates, and that he is a fine wine-maker, too.
Finally, Ferrari openly declared that the people of the Legations were entitled to freely choose their form of government, and to go their own separate way, if they so choose: he would never countenance forcing the Legations to remain in union with Rome. "

"I judged Ferrari to be an upright and honest man, and a good military man, but was not anticipating he would also be such an adroit politician. I agree that there must be someone advising him on the political side: any idea who might be? And who will be sent to Verona?"

"My friend Count Mamiani, Prince Aldobrandini, the former minister for war, Pietro Sterbini, of Campo dei Fiori fame: a moderate, a liberal and a democrat. A reasonable mix. You will be surprised by the additional two roving members personally chosen by Ferrari: Count Pellegrino Rossi, the former French ambassador to Rome and a close friend of Guizot; and our very own Savonarola reborn, Vincenzo Gioberti, the same who went overnight from neo-Guelf champion to a wild-eyed revolutionary preacher.
I was not expecting at all that Count Rossi would be back in politics so soon. I was informed that, after the fall of the Orleans, he retired to private life, but now I am quite convinced he may have been advising Ferrari during the first critical weeks of the dictatorship.
I met Rossi in Paris 10 years ago: a very intelligent man, well versed in constitutional law and in diplomacy, a bit self-centered though. Given his long relation with Guizot and his personal friendship with the Pope, I would describe him as a conservative and a pious Catholic; however, I have seen the events of this 1848 easily change the political beliefs of many persons, myself included, so I will reserve my judgment for now. For what is worth, his son Odoardo enrolled in the Sardinian army and fought at the bridge of Goito. Luckily, he is now posted at the fortress of Peschiera, and can come to Verona upon short notice."

"I'd also like to know what is the Pope planning right now, Camillo: it might be advisable to start an informal negotiation."

"Marquis Pareto sent us some rumors from Rome, which were apparently leaked from the Office of the Cardinal Legate. The Pope arrived in Gaeta, and immediately sent a letter to King Ferdinand: the gist was that he had been forced to leave Rome by unruly mobs and Jacobins. Gaeta was only the first step of his voyage since he didn't want to create any disturbances in the kingdom of Naples. King Ferdinand was in Gaeta two days later, and the result is that the Pope is apparently going to stay.
The Pope has apparently issued a brief, condemning the "sacrilegious and unjustified violence" which forced him to leave Rome, appointing a Commission to govern the city and praying God to forgive those who "raised their impious hands against the Vicar of Christ". Nothing else, I am afraid, aside from a tidbit Pareto added: Cardinal Antonelli has been spotted moving in Rome, but dressed as a layman, not a cardinal. It may be nothing, or it may be Antonelli's way to keep open a door: to which purpose, I don't know yet. My recommendation is to do nothing at this stage."

"You mentioned that you do not anticipate any rash action from the other Ferdinand." Camillo was ready to answer the implicit question, but he could not but smile seeing that even his Prince was using the nickname the Bourbon King had recently earned.

"There have been disturbances in Naples on 4 May: it was the feast day of San Gennaro, but the traditional miracle of the liquefaction of the blood of the saint didn't happen. This is considered a bad omen in Naples, in particular among the poorest classes, the "lazzaroni". To add insult to injury, the equally traditional distribution of food to the poor was canceled, same as the distribution of food for Easter was canceled this year. The lazzaroni rioted, although it was not a true insurrection.
However, the Neapolitan Parliament is going to be inaugurated on 15 May, and there is already a lot of tension around. The king has not yet released the program for the inauguration, and wild tales are already spreading: there is fear that the king will delay the inauguration, or even cancel the Constitution. The truth is probably less dramatic, but it is true that the deputies elected to the Lower House have all intentions to legislate changes to the Constitution, obviously not in a way the king would approve. A constitutional crisis is very likely to flare out on the day of the inauguration, and the king is not going to send his regiments to sort out the Roman troubles of the Pope. Proving once again that he deserve to be called 'the other Ferdinand'.
You wouldn't be caught with your pants down, would you? I can bet you would have had the plans for a Case Tiber already prepared." he quipped.

There was a thin, sharp smile on the lips of Prince Ferdinando, but his dark eyes were unreadable.

Good update I can see the light at the end of the tunnel😁
This arc of interludes has been titled "The End of the Beginning" for obvious reasons.
It's a bit too early to see the light at the end of the tunnel, since there are many issues to be sorted out, both internally (Naples, the Papal Question, the formal constitutional set-up in the Confederation and in the Member States) and externally (the formal end of the war, the signing of a peace treaty with Austria, the full acceptance of the Italian Confederation as a part of the European balance of power). Once these issues are solved, there will be the "winning of the peace" to be addressed, and it is not going to be a walk in the park.
On the plus side, even if Ferdinando and Camillo cannot yet see the light at the end of the tunnel, they are confident and well supplied with torches :D :D

This arc of interludes has been titled "The End of the Beginning" for obvious reasons.
It's a bit too early to see the light at the end of the tunnel, since there are many issues to be sorted out, both internally (Naples, the Papal Question, the formal constitutional set-up in the Confederation and in the Member States) and externally (the formal end of the war, the signing of a peace treaty with Austria, the full acceptance of the Italian Confederation as a part of the European balance of power). Once these issues are solved, there will be the "winning of the peace" to be addressed, and it is not going to be a walk in the park.
On the plus side, even if Ferdinando and Camillo cannot yet see the light at the end of the tunnel, they are confident and well supplied with torches :D :D
Yeah, probably the real trouble will happen after the Victory. Right now everything can be blamed on the Austrians, the "Other Ferdinard" and his ilk.

Yeah, probably the real trouble will happen after the Victory. Right now everything can be blamed on the Austrians, the "Other Ferdinard" and his ilk.
The "real trouble" or the "real opportunity"?
The big and long boom of mid 19th century is ready to start: the industrial revolution is coming of age, the gold from the Californian and Australian fields will be the fuel of an expansive investment policy, at least where the rule of law is upheld and state policy is inclusive rather than extractive, even the upheavals of 1848 will have a positive effect, since they have shaken the foundations of old order.

Camillo put this in the right perspective when he said that a tide should raise all boats, and the task of a government is to ensure that at least a very large majority of boats will be raised.

IOTL, Italy was not there when the boom started, and the 1850s did deliver only scarce benefits to Italy; even worse than that, the bitterness for the failure of the dreams of 1848 left deep scars on the Italian psyche. ITTL, though, the dreams of 1848 have survived and prospered: don't you think it will make quite a difference?

I am sure it will make a difference.
And yet, troubles always happen.
Of course troubles happen: we live in an imperfect world.
It is also a given that not everyone will be happy with the events of TTL: anytime things drastically change, there are winners and losers. I can however make a reasonable guess that a majority of the people will be happy with the changes. Maybe not totally happy, but still... :)

The "real trouble" or the "real opportunity"?
The big and long boom of mid 19th century is ready to start: the industrial revolution is coming of age, the gold from the Californian and Australian fields will be the fuel of an expansive investment policy, at least where the rule of law is upheld and state policy is inclusive rather than extractive, even the upheavals of 1848 will have a positive effect, since they have shaken the foundations of old order.

Camillo put this in the right perspective when he said that a tide should raise all boats, and the task of a government is to ensure that at least a very large majority of boats will be raised.

IOTL, Italy was not there when the boom started, and the 1850s did deliver only scarce benefits to Italy; even worse than that, the bitterness for the failure of the dreams of 1848 left deep scars on the Italian psyche. ITTL, though, the dreams of 1848 have survived and prospered: don't you think it will make quite a difference?
Oh, I get that. It's just unlikely every local government will be as efficient at reaping the benefits of this rising tide.

The confederal set-up at least prevents blaming a far-off, central capital, a staple of Italian politics (to be fair, the practice is not limited to Italy) and favours copying each other for what works.

Oh, I get that. It's just unlikely every local government will be as efficient at reaping the benefits of this rising tide.

The confederal set-up at least prevents blaming a far-off, central capital, a staple of Italian politics (to be fair, the practice is not limited to Italy) and favours copying each other for what works.
The confederal set up is also a guarantee that a member state has to play according to the rules, and additionally provides the opportunity to test different solutions to (apparently) similar problems. Priorities in Latium would not be the same as in Lombardy, just to make an example.

This is one of the main benefits of the confederal setup: some states work as laboratory for one reform or another, and if successful, it gets implemented in the other states, hopefully seeing what can be replicated with success and what not. This will happen in the political, social, scientific and economical level. The fact of having liberal monarchies side by side with Republics will also create an interesting dynamic for the political stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.