Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this italian union going to be similar to Germany,with each region having its own king but ultimately being inferior to the king of both Piedmont and Italy or it's going to be a much more federal kingdom?
It will be certainly not similar to the existing German Confederation, with its complicated allocation of votes at the Diet of Frankfurt and its general poor effectiveness (other than obeying the dictates of Vienna).
For very obvious reasons, the informal Convention at Isola della Scala set up a very low bar and remanded to a future Constitutional Convention the compilation of a formal constitution as well as the choice of the powers which the member states would devolve to the central authority. Even the Bill of Rights was kept to a minimum, to facilitate their acceptance. As of now. it is clearly a Confederation, and it might be considered vaguely similar to the set-up of the OTL North German Confederation.
There is however a major difference: during the war of 1866, Prussia fought against Austria and against the Austrian-dominated German Confederation. They had no allies, and I would say very few well-wishers, among the German states.
The Italian Confederation was started on a very different basis: Sardinia, Tuscany, Sicily and the Most Serene Republic freely chose to sign up the Confederal Principles, and the same was true for the Provisional Governments of Lombardy and Cispadania. For their own reasons, the Pope and the king of Naples chose not to enter the Confederation, and it is interesting to note that one of the Confederal Principles was that no one would be forced to become a member.
A sophist might point out that the future king of Sardinia has gained Lombardy in personal union, has been acclaimed as "Princeps Italiae" and his sister is the Queen of Sicily (without mentioning that the Convention of Imola has been making significant noises about offering him another crown in Personal Union, and that, in his persona of Princeps Italiae, he is the effective ruler of the three Confederal Counties), but still his position is far different from the one given to the king of Prussia in the NGC.

The real point, however, is that Ferdinando is a completely different man from Frederick Wilhelm IV (even more so if compared to Wilhelm I), and the same is true in spades if we compare Camillo di Cavour and Bismarck.

Last edited:
Very well done. I wonder if one strategy to undermine French claims to Savoy and Nizza might be to promote the Francoprovencial (possibly named Savoyard) and Occitan languages above French. Since de Mauro estimates that only 2.5% of Italians could actually speak Italian in 1860, with most only knowing their regional languages, the language situation is still very open at this point. It's entirely possible that the new confederation might decide to teach literacy in first languages rather than insisting on educating in a Tuscan dialect that even most teachers didn't speak, which would both strengthen the confederal nature of Italy (because almost every member state would hve its own language, if not several), speed up the spread of literacy, and weaken French nationalist claims along the western border (and perhaps stir up a bit of discontent in Carantania (as Slovenia was then called), Corsica and Occitania, Italy acting as a refuge for Carantanian, Corsican and Occitan nationalists.

Very well done. I wonder if one strategy to undermine French claims to Savoy and Nizza might be to promote the Francoprovencial (possibly named Savoyard) and Occitan languages above French. Since de Mauro estimates that only 2.5% of Italians could actually speak Italian in 1860, with most only knowing their regional languages, the language situation is still very open at this point. It's entirely possible that the new confederation might decide to teach literacy in first languages rather than insisting on educating in a Tuscan dialect that even most teachers didn't speak, which would both strengthen the confederal nature of Italy (because almost every member state would hve its own language, if not several), speed up the spread of literacy, and weaken French nationalist claims along the western border (and perhaps stir up a bit of discontent in Carantania (as Slovenia was then called), Corsica and Occitania, Italy acting as a refuge for Carantanian, Corsican and Occitan nationalists.

That's exactly what I proposed in a thread about the French Revolution a while ago, even though the POD for that was much earlier than 1848: a Jacobin theorist tries to convince the revolutionary government to maintain the old royal provinces as federal subjects of a democratic French state, and to educate the illiterate in their own vernacular, in order to bring the masses closer to the ideals of the revolution through the one level of government they felt some kind of attachment to - the local one. Of course, this doesn't happen, but Jacobin federalism nonetheless becomes dominant in places such as Italy and Spain, whose autonomist streak goes back centuries, even as a way to flip France the bird while still being nominally Jacobin.

Given the rather dismal status regional dialects and languages had in the eyes of the literate back then, however - they had almost entirely been replaced by Tuscan as written languages centuries before 1848, and even those writers that dabbled with them almost exclusively used them for comedic or satirical purposes - it might be harder for Italian languages to obtain some kind of official status, than for branches of languages spoken beyond the Alps, whose use might be encouraged as a way to divide and conquer.

That said, it wouldn't take long for Venetians to look at how Chakavian and Dalmatian are being promoted on the other side of the Adriatic by their own government, and get some ideas of their own, or for the Piedmontese to look at the Arpitan and Occitan revival on the fringes of their kingdom, and try to give their own mother tongue literary dignity as well - something Ferdinando might actually support, since the royal family and Cavour spoke Piedmontese to each other even in OTL.

The language question is a very complicated one,but I think the government wouldn't promote a single language anymore,and with the federal nature of the state it would be a lot easier to just keep the dialects. As the people above me said,now the kind of italian peoples outside of the proper peninsula might feel much closer to this Italy,Corsica for example would prefer this solution rather than being a part of France. So,literacy would spread much faster than OTL,but wouldn't the slight difference in regional languages cause some troubles?

The language question is a very complicated one,but I think the government wouldn't promote a single language anymore,and with the federal nature of the state it would be a lot easier to just keep the dialects. As the people above me said,now the kind of italian peoples outside of the proper peninsula might feel much closer to this Italy,Corsica for example would prefer this solution rather than being a part of France. So,literacy would spread much faster than OTL,but wouldn't the slight difference in regional languages cause some troubles?

Well, standard Italian would still be the official language - as it is the official language of every single state in the peninsula anyway; primary education in confederal Italy might be carried out in the local vernacular(s), while standard Italian would be taught as a second language. Then, the language of higher education would be standard Italian, since people will be far more likely to move across an internal border for university than for elementary school.

Speaking of primary education, pairing standard lessons with practical/vocational lessons could drive attendance up in rural areas - your average mezzadro would be far more likely to send his children to school if they learned new and updated agricultural methods there, too. And they'd probably drop in themselves every once in a while as well, the level of adult literacy was dismal back then. But I don't know if anyone had had such an idea in the mid-19th century yet.

Hmm alright,so eventually everyone would know how to speak both.
An ISTAT report in 2017 found that that's not too far off from OTL. Only 45.9% use Italian as the only or main language of the home.
The dialetti are very different from one another, because they aren't dialects (regional variants of a standard language, the nearest equivalent Italian term would be italiano regionale), instead they're independent Romance languages, themselves broken up into dialects and often having regional koines. Many have literary prestige dialects (like Milanese for Lombard, Turinese for Piemontese, Venetian for Venetan or Neapolitan) which were in use into the 19th Century. A decent book on this is The Dialects of Italy (Maidan, Maidan & Parry ed., 2006).

Well, standard Italian would still be the official language - as it is the official language of every single state in the peninsula anyway; primary education in confederal Italy might be carried out in the local vernacular(s), while standard Italian would be taught as a second language. Then, the language of higher education would be standard Italian, since people will be far more likely to move across an internal border for university than for elementary school.

Speaking of primary education, pairing standard lessons with practical/vocational lessons could drive attendance up in rural areas - your average mezzadro would be far more likely to send his children to school if they learned new and updated agricultural methods there, too. And they'd probably drop in themselves every once in a while as well, the level of adult literacy was dismal back then. But I don't know if anyone had had such an idea in the mid-19th century yet.
There was actually a propoal put forward in the 20s to standardise and ausbau the dialetti so they could be used to more effectively teach, but the fascists quashed it. Can't remember who made it of the top of my head, so I'll check my sources in the morning. (I may still have a vast number of tabs open from a research paper I finished yesterday.)

Interesting discussions on the languages of the Confederation.

My take is that certainly there will not be the urge to push forward towards an imposition of literary Italian in the schools (like it happened IOTL, when the first governments of united Italy mimicked the French policies). Each of the member states will have its own approach to the language issue, although it cannot be forgotten that literary Italian is already the language of the intellectual elites, as well as that the number of clerical jobs will substantially increase (not just in government jobs, but also in the private sector).

I can accept without any problem that local languages will still be dominant in day-to-day life, even that they will see some standardization and literary production, but the more the economy will develop, the closer will become the ties between the various member states, and the more fluency in literary Italian (written and spoken) will be required. It is going to be a natural process, though, and not driven from above.

Savoy is fully integrated in the kingdom of Sardinia, and French is widely used at court (IIRC, parliamentary speeches were delivered in French, during the first few years of the Parliament in Turin). IMHO, the most important thing for the Confederation will be to avoid what happened IOTL, when Napoleon le petit had a law passed to end the equivalence of university degrees obtained in France and Italy. If this is avoided, Corsicans will continue to go to Pisa for their degrees, and Savoyards will have the choice of Italian and French universities.

The point that @Neoteros makes re. vocational studies is an interesting one. IIRC, something similar was going to be set up in the UK in the second half of the XIX century, in order to cope with the needs of the quickly expanding industrial sector. This paper is interesting, in particular when it deals with the creation of civic colleges, where students where non necessarily committed to obtain a degree, but could aim to certificates of proficiency in different technical fields.
This said, most of the "educated" people were not in possession of a university degree: usually they had a high school diploma and a few years of "apprenticeship", during which they learnt on the job.
Of course this approach might also include vocational schools after the completion of elementary schools, and even night schools for people already in the workplace, but this should come from bottom up, i.e. as an offshoot of workers unions and mutual help societies, later on becoming sponsored by state.

There was actually a propoal put forward in the 20s to standardise and ausbau the dialetti so they could be used to more effectively teach, but the fascists quashed it. Can't remember who made it of the top of my head, so I'll check my sources in the morning. (I may still have a vast number of tabs open from a research paper I finished yesterday.)

Fucking fascists, man. What's wrong with increasing literacy... oh wait, that's how you create people that can actually think.

By the way I'm an italian myself (sicilian in particular) but I didn't know the exact status of the language before unification,so this cleared up a bit of that. I think the issue is solved now,it will just be a continuous and natural process. @LordKalvan how many interludes do you think there'll be until the peace conference?

A few, I think. May 1848 is going to be a rocky month in Austria, Germany and France. Not to mention Naples, the situation there is a bit tense.
Then there is also the situation in Rome and Bologna, which needs to be updated. Ferdinando and Camillo deserve a little gloating, and Ferdinando Carlo too XD.
Be patient, guys. Everything will be disclosed

Fucking fascists, man. What's wrong with increasing literacy... oh wait, that's how you create people that can actually think.
Here we are:
After World War I, a progressive educationist, Giuseppe Lombardo Radice, proposed an innovative scheme significantly entitled Dal dialetto alla lingua. His aim was to raise the status of the dialects and to use the pupils’ native competence in these languages as a basis on which schools could develop the teaching of Italian.
Arturo Tosi (2004) The Language Situation in Italy, Current Issues in Language Planning, 5:3, 247-335, DOI: 10.1080/14664200408668259

Actually, reading around, has the fusione perfetto happened? From what little I've read it seems that the Sardinians weren't particularly pleased with it. Perhaps they might petition Ferdinando for a return of self government (albeit with a more modern legislature than the old stamenti). The Genvese might want their republic back too, since Venice got theirs. It'd certainly complicate matters in Turin and in Isola della Scala, since he'd have to choose between the interests of Piedmont and the expressed desires of the people, and do so without looking like a hypocrite.

I mean,if they create a federal Italy,they might give autonomy to both eventually. Unless a real hardcore Piedmontese rises to power,they'd realise it's for the greater good. Sardinia would be fine with just some aoutonomy,while Genoa has a much greater self identity,so it will become its own "region" in the end.

Actually, reading around, has the fusione perfetto happened? From what little I've read it seems that the Sardinians weren't particularly pleased with it. Perhaps they might petition Ferdinando for a return of self government (albeit with a more modern legislature than the old stamenti). The Genvese might want their republic back too, since Venice got theirs. It'd certainly complicate matters in Turin and in Isola della Scala, since he'd have to choose between the interests of Piedmont and the expressed desires of the people, and do so without looking like a hypocrite.
The "fusione perfetta" happened ITTL too (and from my point of view it should have happened even earlier).
The island of Sardinia was much more backward than the mainland states, and formally governed by a viceroy appointed by the king, and with its own "parliament" (called "stamento", and similar to other Ancien Regime parliaments in Europe: the stamento was organized in three "bracci" (literally arms, but probably estates is a better translation: the first estate was reserved to the clergy; the second Estate was reserved to the aristocracy; the third estate was for the commons, but only those who lived in one of the 7 royal towns on the island, and were not infeudated) . However, the stamento was never formally convened after the crown was given to the Savoys (with the only exception of 1793, when a "stamento militare" was convened by the aristocracy to organize the successful defense of the island against a French attempt to invade): the local aristocracy and the high clergy were completely dominant. Between 1820 and 1840 the successive kings started to introduce laws to change the medieval statutes of the island, and make them more close the the ones in the mainland (in 1840, Carlo Alberto abolished the corvees, although the aristocracy was compensated by the crown for this loss). Still, the island of Sardinia was effectively separated from the mainland (when the Papal States, Sardinia and Tuscany signed the Customs League, the island was not included in it).

A better integration was a popular demand in Sardinia, and two proposals were presented to the king: the fusione perfetta or, in alternative, liberal reforms and an inclusion of Sardinia in the Customs League but without the cancellation of the traditional autonomies. Carlo Alberto chose the former, and I cannot really fault him for this choice, since the kingdom of Sardinia was organized on the French model (and incidentally maintaining the traditional Sardinian separate institutions would have opened another can of worms, since all the other old "states" under the Savoys had already renounced to their own autonomies.

It is true that following the unione perfetta there were no immediate improvements (other than the abolition of dues and the growth of the mining industry, since the old laws were abolished and replaced by modern ones), but I doubt that maintaining some form of autonomy would have been a game changer.
ITTL, the much better outcome of the war of 1848 and the establishment of the Italian Confederation should result in a much better economic growth in general, and this would also benefit Sardinia: Camillo di Cavour said that a rising tide should lift all boats, or at least a vast majority of them, and that the goal of a government should be to make sure that this happens.

Genoa (and in general all of Liguria) has all the cards in their hands to become one of the major beneficiaries of the coming economic boom: the railway to Turin has already been completed (earlier than OTL) and soon it will also be connected to Milan, while a new major industrial development has already been established in the city with the early incorporation of Ansaldo.
Why should they agitate for a nominal autonomy while they would reap better rewards by participating in the parliament in Turin?
There is quite a difference between the "Piedmontization" of all of Italy and the integration of Genoa in the economic development of the kingdom.

A teaser for you guys, since the last interlude is a week old. Enjoy :)

The End of the Beginning
Part 1: The Parmesan Gambit

Verona, Guardia Nuova - 10 May 1848, Early Morning

Ferdinando di Savoia, Lieutenant of the Kingdom of Sardinia, Heir to the Throne and most recently acclaimed as Princeps Italiae, was already in his study, reading through the reports arrived from Friuli, via Venice, overnight. It was clear from the expression on his face that the news were good.

"My confidence in Henri d'Orleans was well placed, Camillo! He has perfectly managed the war on the Eastern Front, achieved all his objectives and proved to be very good at delegating. I was nurturing a few worries about De Sonnaz: he's a good general, but at times he seemed to be affected by tunnel vision. I have to admit that I'm quite impressed by how well he managed the campaign in Lower Friuli, and the battle of Doberdo' Lake was handled very well."

Camillo Benso, Count of Cavour and recently appointed First Secretary of the Italian Confederation, had already read the same reports: "De Sonnaz put up as good a performance as any, but I am quite convinced that the praise for his successes must be shared with Colonel Cavedalis: the intelligence his jaegers gathered allowed De Sonnaz to anticipate the Austrian moves, and I believe that even the tactics employed at Dobardo' Lake were suggested by Cavedalis, based on his knowledge of the land. No criticism intended, though, rather the contrary: De Sonnaz managed his task quite well, was smart enough to recognize and accept good advice and never stopped and got sluggish. I share also your appreciation of General d'Orleans: he was good, very good I should say, at delegating, and also at managing the investment of Gorizia and the final battle. This time around he commanded from the rear, which will meet the approval of your sister for sure, as well as mine own, but I was truly impressed when he refused to continue what had become a massacre of enemy troops, and offered Nugent a ceasefire and a chance to surrender: war is hell, but it doesn't mean that soldiers should behave as demons. On a lighter note, I am still the editor of "Il Risorgimento", which means I cannot but like a man who can turn out nifty sentences. "Gorizia e' nostra, e conquistata con onore" : this is going to be the first page title on every Italian newspaper, and on most of the European ones as well."

The Count stopped for a sip of coffee, before continuing: "Then there is Federico Carlo, and his cavalry charges at Jamiano. You may remember what I told you on the day the Expeditionary Force left for Friuli. Federico Carlo may do something stupid, or he may die in the war of he may come back as an hero: each one of these cases would provide us with an opportunity; it looks like that our wayward Duchino has come out of the war smelling of roses, which is the best outcome for everyone. He's going to be lionized as the hero of Jamiano, and his wounds on the field are more grist to the mill: trust newspapers to milk it to the last drop. With your permission, I will make some delicate enquiries, and see if the delegates of the Provisional Government of Cispadania are equally impressed by the news. It might present a practical solution for Cispadania, avoiding either the Lombard and Tuscan appetites for annexation or the establishment of a republic: I do not see the former to be acceptable to Cispadanians, and I am pretty sure that a republican solution would not be supported by a majority of the voters either. The considerations I made for Lombardy are also valid for Cispadania and for the Romagne, and I don't need to remind you that Ruggero Settimo followed the same line of reasoning in Sicily: a successful insurrection and a parliamentary vote sanctioning the decadence of the former sovereign, followed by the establishment of a constitutional parliamentary regime negotiated with the democrat wing of the insurgents and the choice of a suitable monarch. Over the last few months, the political chains imposed on Italy for over 30 years have been broken, Sicily has become independent, the Republic of Venice has been reborn and the Pope has fled Rome: the old balance has gone forever, but a new balance has to be found, and one which can be acceptable not only to the citizens of the various Italian states but also to the other European Powers. It's a fine conundrum to solve, but we must unravel it if we want to succeed, and be quick to do it."

Narrative Interlude #53: The End of the Beginning-Part 1
The End of the Beginning
Part 1: The Parmesan Gambit

Verona, Guardia Nuova - 10 May 1848, Early Morning

Ferdinando di Savoia, Lieutenant of the Kingdom of Sardinia, Heir to the Throne and most recently acclaimed as Princeps Italiae, was already in his study, reading through the reports arrived from Friuli, via Venice, overnight. It was clear from the expression on his face that the news was good.

"My confidence in Henri d'Orleans was well placed, Camillo! He has perfectly managed the war on the Eastern Front, achieved all his objectives, and proved to be very good at delegating. I was nurturing a few worries about De Sonnaz: he's a good general, but at times he seemed to be affected by tunnel vision. I have to admit that I'm quite impressed by how well he managed the campaign in Lower Friuli, and the battle of Doberdo' Lake was impeccably handled."

Camillo Benso, Count of Cavour and recently appointed First Secretary of the Italian Confederation, had already read the same reports: "De Sonnaz put up as good a performance as any, but I am quite convinced that the praise for his successes must be shared with Colonel Cavedalis: the intelligence his jaegers gathered allowed De Sonnaz to anticipate the Austrian moves, and I believe that even the tactics employed at Dobardo' Lake were suggested by Cavedalis, based on his knowledge of the land. No criticism intended, though, rather the contrary: De Sonnaz managed his task quite well, was smart enough to recognize and accept good advice, and never stopped and got sluggish. I share also your appreciation of General d'Orleans: he was good, very good I should say, at delegating, and also at managing the investment of Gorizia and the final battle. This time around he commanded from the rear, which will meet the approval of your sister for sure, as well as mine own, but I was truly impressed when he refused to continue what had become an unnecessary massacre of enemy troops, and offered Nugent a ceasefire and a chance to surrender: war is hell (1), but it doesn't mean that soldiers should behave like demons. On a lighter note, I am still the editor of "Il Risorgimento", which means I cannot but like a man who can turn out nifty sentences. "Gorizia è nostra, e conquistata con onore (2)" : this is going to be the first-page title in every Italian newspaper, and in most of the European ones as well."

The Count stopped for a sip of coffee, before continuing: "Then there is Federico Carlo, and his cavalry charges at Jamiano. You may remember what I told you on the day the Expeditionary Force left for Friuli. Federico Carlo may do something stupid, or he may die in the war or he may come back as a hero: in any case, he would provide us with an opportunity. It looks like that our wayward Duchino has come out of the war smelling of roses, which is the best outcome for everyone. He's going to be lionized as the hero of Jamiano, and his wounds on the field are more grist to the mill: trust newspapers to milk it to the last drop. With your permission, I will make some delicate inquiries, and see if the delegates of the Provisional Government of Cispadania are equally impressed by the news. It might offer a practical solution for Cispadania, avoiding either the Lombard and Tuscan appetites for annexation or the establishment of a republic: I do not see the former to be acceptable to Cispadanians, and I am pretty sure that a republican solution would not be supported by a majority of the voters either. The considerations I made for Lombardy are also valid for Cispadania and for the Romagne, and I don't need to remind you that Ruggero Settimo followed the same line of reasoning in Sicily: a successful insurrection and a parliamentary vote sanctioning the decadence of the former sovereign, followed by the establishment of a constitutional parliamentary regime negotiated with the democrat wing of the insurgents and the choice of a suitable monarch.
Over the last few months, the political chains imposed on Italy for over 30 years have been broken, Sicily has become independent, the Republic of Venice has been reborn and the Pope has fled Rome: the old balance has gone forever, but a new balance has to be found, and one which can be acceptable not only to the citizens of the various Italian states but also to the other European Powers. It's a fine conundrum to solve, but we must unravel it if we want to succeed, and be quick to do it."

Camillo Benso fell silent for a moment, looking a bit sheepish, then said: "I fear that I've been lecturing, Ferdinando. A bad habit of mine, for which I do apologize."

"No apologies required, Camillo. I am intrigued by your words, and I would appreciate it if you would unveil your master plan for me." Ferdinando smiled thinly "Because I am pretty sure that you have an ace or two up your sleeve."

"Very well. Let's start with our Italian Confederation. The first major change is that Austria has been kicked out of the peninsula: the start has come with the insurrections of Milan and Venice, but those have been followed by conventional war, fought by professional armies, although with the support of volunteer corps. The war has been short, barely seven weeks; there has been no great disruption, no major siege and casualties have been limited. More importantly, law and order have been immediately restored, without opposition, and the former Austrian territories in Northern Italy have been neatly rearranged, dispelling the fear that the kingdom of Sardinia was on a conquering spree. The restoration of the Most Serene Republic has been a brilliant coup, and can hardly be branded as a revolutionary act: I will be happy to argue that it can be seen as the proper and dutiful restoration of a state which was brutally canceled by the Corsican ogre 50 years ago. Lombardy has been set up as a separate kingdom, and the people of Lombardy have overwhelmingly supported this change.
Austria has to accept full responsibility for this outcome since it was caused by the myopic and repressive policies that they enforced for over 30 years in Lombardy-Venetia.
The second major change happened in the Papal States. The incapacity to address necessary reforms was already castigated by the Powers almost 20 years ago, but nothing was done to ameliorate the situation; then a new Pope was elected, proved unable or unwilling to push through real reforms reform, and ultimately his contradictory policies completely alienated the population, forcing him to flee Rome. There was no civil war in the Papal States, and even the insurrection of Rome lasted for a handful of days. I will add that the restoration of the Papal States in 1815 didn't find unanimous consent among the Powers, and ultimately happened mostly by default. I will never cry for the disappearance of such a medieval relic, but the political situation there is still formally unsettled, and we must work hard on that.
It is almost a given that the former Papal States will give birth to two new states: one in the former Legations in the north, and one in Lazio, Umbria, and Marche. It makes sense, since there is no economic reason to keep the former borders, and there is deep lingering resentment in the Legations: they will not accept to continue being governed from Rome. Luckily, it seems that the Provisional Government in Rome will not oppose a "velvet divorce": we will know better when the delegations from Rome and Bologna will arrive in Verona in a few days, but their arrival means that both will apply to join the Confederation. It's too early to know for sure which kind of government will be installed, but I predict that the state centered in Rome will be a republic: I will not bore you by giving all the very obvious reasons for which I'm in favor of this solution, even if I am certainly not a republican. On the other hand, the assembly recently held in Imola appears to be more inclined towards a monarchy, although there is also a vocal minority advocating for a republic. At least this is what Marquis D'Azeglio has reported, and he should certainly know what's happening there.
The problem is that finding a suitable candidate for the throne is far from easy, the more so since it is almost sure two monarchs will be required: Cispadanian political attitudes are quite similar. There are just two potential candidates: your own cousin, Prince Eugenio di Savoia Carignano, and our errant-but-hopefully-reformed Duchino, Ferdinando Carlo di Borbone Parma.
You have certainly realized that I cannot consider as an acceptable candidate the former Duke of Modena, or the second son of Granduca Leopoldo di Toscana or any member of the Borbone branch currently on the throne in Naples.
Francesco di Austria-Este has always been a willing pawn of Austria, in deeds as well as in thoughts, and has also been consistently intriguing with the most reactionary figures on the continent (3); as they say, the apple falls close to the tree, and his father too was a champion of reaction and sent to death many patriots after the insurrection of 1831.
The second son of your uncle is barely nine years old, and I don't want to inflict a very long regency on anyone, in particular a regency masterminded by Grand Duke Leopoldo.
None of the close relations of king Ferdinando II of Naples stands really out, and as a matter of fact, all the past attempts to find any of them a place on a throne, even as Prince Consort, has consistently failed: even leaving aside the awkwardness of negotiating a deal with Ferdinando II of Naples, a horse spurned by all previous potential buyers cannot be a good bargain."

"A cogent presentation, Camillo. The problem of the decadence of the Pope from Temporal Power is not going away soon, but it doesn't need to be addressed in the immediate: let us see what the Roman delegation suggests.
I do agree completely with your reasoning in discarding some potential candidates for the thrones of Romagne or Cispadania. My own cousin should be eminently acceptable to either polity: in his forties, happily married to an Imperial Princess who has given him four children, a long and outstanding career in the Sardinian Navy as well as a significant administrative experience since the king appointed him as Lieutenant of the Kingdom when the war started.
Now tell me why you consider Ferdinando Carlo equally suitable to ascend a throne. His passion for the army was never counterbalanced by an equal interest in studying and understanding our world, an as Thukydides wrote: The society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Although Ferdinando certainly embodied a rare ideal of warrior-scholar, and Ferdinando Carlo might be easily regarded as a true fighting fool, this wasn't an unexpected question, and Camillo was up to the challenge.
"First of all, I believe that the Duchino may not be truly intellectually gifted, but at the same time he's certainly courageous and of good heart. Second, he (and his father too) always resented the heavy-handed Austrian interference in the affairs of Parma. Note that his father did not abandon immediately the duchy after the insurrection, and tried to find a way to appease the insurgents, leaving for Florence, and not Vienna, only when this last-ditch attempt failed; Ferdinando Carlo decided to join your troops at Goito, bringing 500 lancers with him, and this should certainly be counted in his favor. He missed the battle of Goito, but fought in Friuli, and not only avoided doing anything stupid but also gave good proof of himself at the charge of Jamiano. He's come out of the battle smelling of roses, as I said, and his wounds are also good to further burnish his hero's halo.
Last, but certainly not least, he has certainly a valid claim on the throne of Parma, and our propagandists can easily parlay this into a claim on both the Cispadanian Duchies: a side benefit of this is that we will show Europe that we are making an effort to provide continuity of rule, even if I might say under different management.
Obviously, once the necessary spadework has been done, his father will need to abdicate, but I don't think this will be a major issue: Carlo II has always shown little interest in ruling, and there were rumors he was going to abdicate earlier this year, before the insurrections. There is just a little speck on the résumé of the Duchino: his wife is the sister of the Comte de Chambord, the Bourbon pretender to the French crown, and I understand that she shares in full her brother's reactionary and ultra-catholic beliefs. The marriage was purely dynastic, sponsored by Austria, and there is not much place for love in it, even if she has already produced a daughter and is again heavily pregnant. A little speck, I said: a female consort would not be allowed to openly express political disagreements with her husband, and if she does... there are "possibilities". Federico Carlo will never be a scholar-warrior, but we scarcely need such a mythical figure in today's Cispadania. Does this answer your question?"

"Even in this mad 1848, I was certainly not anticipating using Ferdinando Carlo as the key to solving a political problem.
You have succeeded in turning a sow's ear into a silk purse, Camillo: let's call it the Parmesan Gambit!" Ferdinando replied, laughing aloud.

Camillo thought it was good to see his Prince benefitting from genuine laughter: it did not happen often enough.

Footnotes
  1. "War is hell" is attributed to IOTL Gen. William T. Sherman, during the American Civil War
  2. "Gorizia is ours, and fairly won". IOTL Gen. William T. Sherman telegraphed to Washington on 3 September 1864: "Atlanta is ours, and fairly won"
  3. The elder sister of Francesco V of Austria-Este married the Comte de Chambord on 7 November 1846, while his younger sister Maria Beatrice married the Carlist Pretender to the Spanish crown, Juan Carlos of Bourbon-Spain, on 6 February 1847. These marriages created some scandal, since the brides' father, Francesco IV of Austria-Este, had died on 21 January 1846, and the mourning period was not respected.

So the Roman Republic is sending a delegation while under Ferrari's Dictatorship? I honestly expected this to happen after its end, although the "velvet divorce" may be easier inside the Confederation, will be interesting to see how the Papacy question evolve in the future (anything will be better than OTL)

Will be good to see the roman delegates meet the "prescient guy" who sent Ferrari in such a timely fashion.

Status
Not open for further replies.