Massively Multiplayer: Gaming In The New Millennium

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder, now that it looks like Apple's about to acquire Sega's game division, could the company branch out into new and unexpected fields? For example, I have half an idea about an ambitious multimedia project that could become Apple's signature game, in equal parts action RPG (for the Mac) and classic RPG (for the Katana), with a side of collectible card game - the IRL cards would allow people to unlock unique abilities for the Mac game, and unique characters for the Katana game.

The game would be about a race of people in a science fantasy setting among which one in every 100,000 individuals is born with assorted psychic powers, that would be used to either control entire armies (the focus of the Katana game) or be like Neo in the Matrix (the focus of the Mac game). I don't know, it seems like the sort of overly ambitious thing Steve Jobs would probably throw money at like no tomorrow.

That is a potentially interesting idea for a future game.

Nivek and I have discussed another "killer app" type game for (SPOILERS REDACTED) down the road, we probably won't start discussing it until 2005 rolls around in the timeline.

I wonder, now that it looks like Apple's about to acquire Sega's game division, could the company branch out into new and unexpected fields? For example, I have half an idea about an ambitious multimedia project that could become Apple's signature game, in equal parts action RPG (for the Mac) and classic RPG (for the Katana), with a side of collectible card game - the IRL cards would allow people to unlock unique abilities for the Mac game, and unique characters for the Katana game.

The game would be about a race of people in a science fantasy setting among which one in every 100,000 individuals is born with assorted psychic powers, that would be used to either control entire armies (the focus of the Katana game) or be like Neo in the Matrix (the focus of the Mac game). I don't know, it seems like the sort of overly ambitious thing Steve Jobs would probably throw money at like no tomorrow.
Develop the idea, the idea of an rpg interact with traditional pc and console would work, just develop it and send via PM, we would discuss more spoilerish details later on.

Does anyone want to play the casting game for Iron Man? I would also like to hear people's expectations for 2003's offerings, notably Flash and Spider-Man. I can confirm that Scarlet Johanssen will be in the later. :p
Sure I'll play.

Iron Man:
Tom Cruise as Tony Stark/Iron Man
Gene Hackman as Obediah Stane
Cameron Diaz or Drew Berrymore as Pepper Potts
LeVar Burton as James Rhodes/War Machine
Faran Tahir as THE MANDARIN

Spider-Man:
Thomas Dekker as Peter Parker/Spider-Man
Scarlet Johanssen as Mary Jane Watson
Sally Field as May Parker
Burt Reynolds as Ben Parker
Dennis Leary as Norman Osbourne (doesn't become Green Goblin until the end of the film, setting up the sequel)
Nick Stahl as Harry Osbourne
Michael Clarke Duncan as Wilson Fisk/The Kingpin
Jesse Spencer as Smythe

I just thought I'd let you guys know that quite possible starting with the next "Superhero Wars" update, I will change up the format so that is focuses more of a comparative look between DC and Marvel's offerings since Green Lantern 3 and Iron Man will going head-to-head. Writing long synopses for EACH film is becoming more of a chore with more and more releases each year and I really do not want to burn myself out juggling that and my other projects/commitments. That said, I hope to get GL3/Iron Man done by Sunday.

I can assure you Justice League will get its own update.

Does anyone want to play the casting game for Iron Man? I would also like to hear people's expectations for 2003's offerings, notably Flash and Spider-Man. I can confirm that Scarlet Johanssen will be in the later. :p
If Mr. Myzilpitlik (I don't know how to spell that little imp's name) is involved may I suggest Phil Hartmann or Eddie Murphy for the role?

If Mr. Myzilpitlik (I don't know how to spell that little imp's name) is involved may I suggest Phil Hartmann or Eddie Murphy for the role?
The silver through modern age versions are Mxyzptlk, the golden age version is Mxyztplk. The 't' and 'p' switched places and no one knows why. :winkytongue:

Make sense, to make his name more difficult to pronounce, still that goblin is insane.
It's pronounced mix-yes-spit-lick. It's one of the things I remember from the Superman animated series. Other than the fact that Gibert Gottfried was a great choice for the interdimensional imp. I'm thinking that Phil Hartman should play a normal-sized version of the character as the Q of the DC universe.

Make sense, to make his name more difficult to pronounce, still that goblin is insane.
The character's original creator specified (MIX-el-plik), but the Gilbert Gottfried voiced Superman TAS version used the now more common (mix-yes-spit-lik), and on Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman Howie Mandel pronounced it (mix-es-PITtle-ik), and on Smallville that version used (Mix-el-piteh-lik).
Personally, I'mma stick with Gottfried.

So Apple Skylanders with cards?

So Apple Skylanders with cards?
Umm i was thinking Heartstone but let's wait what Neoteros work, IIRC Toys for Bob offered that to Nintendo first(but nintendo already was working with the amiibos seems) and remember which videogame company double as toys one? let me write a note on it...

Umm i was thinking Heartstone but let's wait what Neoteros work, IIRC Toys for Bob offered that to Nintendo first(but nintendo already was working with the amiibos seems) and remember which videogame company double as toys one? let me write a note on it...

Kinda sorta. Toys for Bob and Activision-Blizzard offered Nintendo console exclusivity for their Skylanders line and Nintendo, for whatever reason, decided that they wanted to pass on this offer. I suppose they felt that it would've been too difficult to promote both the Amiibo and Skylanders figurines given how similar they are.

Apple-Bandai-Sega could call it...

Rabble Psycho 100,000. :p

NFL: 2002-03 Recap
The 2002 NFL season saw some of the biggest changes since the AFL merger, as the Houston Texans joined the league to become the 32nd NFL franchise. The conferences and divisions were realigned, with four divisions in each conference and four teams in each division. Seattle would move from the AFC to the NFC, while a new South division was formed in each conference. (Authors' Note: The conferences and divisions ended up exactly as they did IOTL. I thought of having the divisions make a bit more sense geographically, but I figured the butterflies wouldn't make the powers-that-be in the NFL any smarter ITTL :p)

Once again, the two-time defending champion New Orleans Saints were off and running, and achieved the league's best record at 14-2. While their offense wasn't quite as potent as it was the previous year, it was still plenty good, with 51 passing touchdowns for Peyton Manning. The NFC showcased a pair of rookie quarterbacks: #2 pick David Carr for the Detroit Lions, and #3 pick Joey Harrington in Arizona. Carr thrived on the Lions, successfully leading the team to an 11-5 record and the division crown over the 10-6 Green Bay Packers. Carr had some help from the Lions' fifth-ranked defense, but was still good enough to win offensive rookie for the year. As for Harrington, his team the Cardinals would have a difficult campaign in his opening year, and while he showed flashes of brilliance, it wasn't enough for more than a 6-10 season. However, Harrington's rookie season was a dream compared to the nightmare that was the one and only play of #1 pick Carson Palmer's career. The Houston Texans placed Palmer behind an absolutely terrible offensive line, and on the very first play of the Texans' very first regular season game, against the Dallas Cowboys, rookie defensive end Dwight Freeney penetrated the Texans' line and slammed Palmer hard into the turf. Palmer didn't get up. The hard hit had caused Palmer to land in such a way that one of the vertebra in his back was crushed, severing his spine and rendering him a paraplegic for the rest of his life. The game stopped for more than a half hour as Palmer was carted off the field, and the shell-shocked Texans and their backup quarterback could barely get through the rest of the game. The Cowboys were badly shaken as well, but ended up winning, 24 to 3. The Texans would only win one game the entire year, rivaling the Tampa Bay Buccaneers of 1979 as the worst starting campaign in NFL history. Speaking of the Buccaneers, the team would struggle as well, as quarterback Ryan Leaf would be benched in favor of rookie Patrick Ramsey, who played poorly in his first few games. While Leaf was still a good quarterback, numerous off the field controversies continued to dog him. Eventually, Leaf would be traded to the quarterback desperate Houston Texans in the offseason. The top two AFC teams were the New England Patriots, led by Donovan McNabb and featuring a staunch defense, and the Indianapolis Colts, whose defense was given a major boost by rookie Julius Peppers, the Defensive Rookie of the Year. The Colts still boasted a powerful offensive attack, led by quarterback Tom Brady and his top two weapons, Marvin Harrison and Randy Moss. Brady would win the year's MVP award, but would have to share it with the dynamic Michael Vick, who led the Cleveland Browns to a 12-4 record and the AFC North title.

NFL Playoffs 2002-03:

Wild Card Round

(3) Cleveland Browns: 38, (6) Jacksonville Jaguars: 0

The Jaguars played their way into the playoffs by winning their last five games of the regular season, but they were no match for Michael Vick and the Cleveland Browns. Vick rushed for 158 yards and passed for 242 more, giving him 400 total yards, 2 rushing touchdowns, and 2 passing touchdowns. Combined with the Browns' excellent defense, and the Jaguars were totally shut out.

(5) Pittsburgh Steelers: 26, (4) Denver Broncos: 14

Kordell Stewart played an excellent game, while the Steelers defense kept the Broncos' excellent rushing game stalled when they needed to. The Broncos had trouble getting anything going, except for a 70-yard touchdown run late in the first half and a long touchdown drive in the middle of the third quarter that brought the score to 16-14. The Steelers shut out the Broncos the rest of the way, and advanced to once again face their rivals, the New England Patriots, who they hoped they could achieve revenge on for their loss two seasons ago.

(3) Detroit Lions: 13, (6) Philadelphia Eagles: 10

The Eagles lost this game more than the Lions won it, as Tim Couch threw three critical interceptions, including two in the Lions' end zone, to help the Lions win this close game. David Carr threw a couple of picks himself, but they were much less consequential. Couch cried in the post-game press conference, which was one of the most memorable of the decade, giving us the timeless quote: "I feel like a big damn failure."

(5) Green Bay Packers: 27, (4) St. Louis Rams: 9

The Green Bay Packers dominated this one all the way. Brett Favre was basically Brett Favre, throwing for 342 yards and three touchdowns, while the Rams struggled to get anything going. They scored a touchdown in the first quarter, but failed to convert on an attempt at a surprise two point conversion that would end up being a bad omen for the remainder of the game.

Divisional Round

(5) Pittsburgh Steelers: 25, (1) New England Patriots: 15

Revenge was sweet for the Pittsburgh Steelers, who knocked off the New England Patriots in a strange game that saw the Steelers score two safeties: one after a Patriots punt attempt sailed out of the back of the end zone, and one after Donovan McNabb fumbled an attempted bootleg and had to fall on the ball and take a safety rather than let the Steelers get the ball. The tough Steelers defense had the Patriots rattled all day, while the Patriots had trouble catching Kordell Stewart, who ran for 72 yards in addition to 210 passing yards. Stewart never ran the ball into the end zone, but he broke off big runs that kept crucial drives alive, further frustrating the Patriots.

(2) Indianapolis Colts: 34, (3) Cleveland Browns: 31 (OT)

In what was probably the most exciting game of the entire postseason (and winner of the 2003 ESPY Award for Game of the Year), the Colts and Browns went back and forth, trading touchdowns all day. The Browns started with a 7-0 lead, then were down 14-7, then were up 24-14 before Brady led the Colts back to tie it up. The Browns put themselves ahead by 31-24 with less than two minutes to go on an amazing Michael Vick touchdown run, but Brady led the Colts on an 80-yard drive to score in the final five seconds of the game. In the overtime period, the Colts failed to score when Cary Blanchard missed a 54-yard field goal as it bounced off the left upright. Then the Browns drove deep into Colts territory, but rather than kick a game winning 47-yarder, they went for one more play. Vick threw a screen pass to his running back, who was immediately crushed by a punishing hit from a Colts linebacker that caused him to fumble the ball. The Colts recovered and drove down to the Browns' 34, where Blanchard would have another shot to win the game, this time from 51 yards. The kick sailed just over the crossbar, giving the Colts the win and advancing them to the conference finals.

(1) New Orleans Saints: 56, (5) Green Bay Packers: 35

Another Saints divisional playoff game, another shootout. Peyton Manning and Brett Favre went back and forth for two quarters before the Saints once again pulled away, looking damn near unstoppable in the process.

(2) Washington Redskins: 27, (3) Detroit Lions: 13

The Redskins wouldn't make the same mistakes in this game that plagued their fellow NFC East team the Eagles in the wild card round. LaDainian Tomlinson had a solid 106 yard performance, while Redskins quarterback Rich Gannon would throw for over 300 yards to help the Redskins fend off the Lions. David Carr threw a touchdown, but two interceptions, and just couldn't outperform his veteran opponent.

Conference Championships

(5) Pittsburgh Steelers: 21, (2) Indianapolis Colts: 20

The Colts played another nailbiter, but just couldn't get the job done against the Steelers this time around, in another revenge game for Pittsburgh. The Steelers were up 21-17 when the Colts had the ball in the red zone. With 5:46 left on the clock, they decided to kick a field goal on 4th and 3 rather than go for a touchdown, and it's a decision the Steelers would make them regret. The Steelers managed to burn the last 5:38 off the clock, even though the Colts had all three of their timeouts, as Kordell Stewart was once again able to run for first downs when he needed to. Once the Colts had exhausted their time outs, Stewart took three well-earned knees, and the Steelers were AFC champions.

(2) Washington Redskins: 26, (1) New Orleans Saints: 21

The gutsy Redskins defense stymied Peyton Manning, picking him off four times over the course of the game, while the Saints had no answer for Tomlinson, who gashed them for 176 yards and three touchdowns in one of the best rushing performances in conference championship game history. With the Redskins up 26-14 with just 38 seconds to go, Manning almost pulled off a miracle: a long touchdown pass made it 26-21 with just thirteen seconds to go, and the Saints recovered an onside kick, setting Manning up for a Hail Mary throw. The throw hung in the air and it looked like Reggie Wayne would be able to pick the ball up over four Redskins defenders, but as he was coming down with the ball, it was batted out of his hands, and the Redskins held on for a narrow victory.

Super Bowl XXXVII:

Washington Redskins: 28, Pittsburgh Steelers: 10

Super Bowl XXXVII took place in San Diego, California, and rising Latin pop star Julieta Venegas performed one of the most positively received renditions of the national anthem in Super Bowl history. As for the game itself, it was fairly anticlimactic. LaDainian Tomlinson played another excellent game, with 152 yards and two touchdowns, including a spectacular 58 yard touchdown run early in the third quarter to give the Redskins a 14-3 lead. The halftime show would prove more entertaining than the game, as Destiny's Child, who had an album set to come out later that year, gave a stunning performance, singing their biggest hits. The Redskins continued to dominate the second half and won handily, 28 to 10. LaDainian Tomlinson won the game's MVP award, though he insisted on having his offensive line hold up the trophy together.

-

The Houston Texans once again had the #1 overall pick, and used it to select receiver Andre Johnson, after thinking about drafting Byron Leftwich but instead choosing to trade for Ryan Leaf instead. Leftwich would instead fall to #2, where he would be drafted by the Cincinnati Bengals, who were hoping to turn their misfortunes around. The #3 pick went to the New York Giants, who decided to grab Willis McGahee, hoping that he would bring them the same results that LaDainian Tomlinson had brought to the Super Bowl champion Redskins. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers, instead of picking up a quarterback, chose to trust Patrick Ramsay, and grabbed safety Troy Polamalu with the 14th pick. The Colts, picking #28, decided to grab a new toy for Tom Brady and would draft tight end Dallas Clark out of Iowa.

While I'm sad to see that the Steelers didn't win the Super Bowl after coming so far, I'm glad they managed to do so well before. Great update, Ry!

Could we have a list of who's done the Super Bowl halftime shows ITTL?

I'm assuming the Janet Jackson "boob incident" won't happen next year...

1993: Same as OTL, featuring Michael Jackson.
1994: Same as OTL, featuring country performers
1995: Same as OTL, featuring an Indiana Jones themed show with Tony Bennett, Patti LaBelle, Gloria Estefan, etc.
1996: Same as OTL, Diana Ross 30 year celebration
1997: Bruce Springsteen and Billy Joel
1998: Mostly the same as OTL with Boyz II Men, but also featuring Whitney Houston (it didn't have a Motown theme, just a general R+B theme)
1999: Aerosmith
2000: Kid Rock
2001: Santana, featuring Selena and Rob Thomas
2002: Same as OTL, featuring U2
2003: Destiny's Child

Status
Not open for further replies.