Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO Nigeria would probably take the place of "default sub-Saharan African country" at this point, both due to the growing number of Nigerian-Americans and Nigeria's growing media presence.

Maybe also Argentina due to the World Cup, but that's another shaky one.

Thailand might be for something else, I fear.
Shouldn’t Poland (Nazi invasion), Ethiopia (the only African country not colonized)and Thailand (Thai restaurants, the King and I) also be on the list? Also maybe Nigeria (scams) and Pakistan (rivalry with India, nukes)

Also individual Indonesian Islands (Java, Sumatr, Bali) may be more well known than the country itself.
I could see Nigeria making the list in another ten years, but I don't think it's quite entered the minds of the American middle class.

I feel that only history buffs will care about things like the Nazi invasion of Poland or Ethiopia avoiding colonization. Pakistan could have made the list, but I feel like when it comes to geopolitics most average Americans don't give much thought to Pakistan and India, instead focusing on other major powers like Russia or China. Regarding Indonesia, I tried to restrict myself to entire countries rather than subdivisions, otherwise I'd have likely included some of those islands. I could see an argument for Thailand.

You have seen Churchill's plan to divide Germany. You have seen Hungary divided along the Danube. But what if we combine the two? A propaganda leaflet by the Hungarian People's Republic.
ZVXYNnY.png

I could see Nigeria making the list in another ten years, but I don't think it's quite entered the minds of the American middle class.

I feel that only history buffs will care about things like the Nazi invasion of Poland or Ethiopia avoiding colonization. Pakistan could have made the list, but I feel like when it comes to geopolitics most average Americans don't give much thought to Pakistan and India, instead focusing on other major powers like Russia or China. Regarding Indonesia, I tried to restrict myself to entire countries rather than subdivisions, otherwise I'd have likely included some of those islands. I could see an argument for Thailand.
Argentina could fit bc tango, and Peru due to the Andes.
As for subdivisions, Kurdistan and Tibet could fit

Last edited:
kingdom-of-kwazulu-battle-of-the-brothers-v0-am0nszb9irqa1.png

Kingdom of Kwazulu (formerly Zululand or Zulu Kingdom) is a Southern African monarchy, alongside Lesotho and Eswatini, that emerged in 1816 under the leadership of the legendary warrior king Shaka Zulu. Under Shaka's leadership, the Zulu Kingdom expanded rapidly, conquering neighboring tribes and kingdoms, establishing itself as the dominant power in the region before Shaka was assassinated by his own brothers in 1828 – the first of many brotherly battles in Zulu history.
However, the Zulu Kingdom continued to be a major power in the region under the reigns of his successors, most notably King Cetshwayo, who became the ruler of the Zulu Kingdom in 1873 Under his leadership, the Zulu Kingdom enjoyed a period of relative peace and prosperity, with extensive social and economic development taking place. When Cetshwayo became king of the Zulus, according to custom he created a new capital for the nation, naming it "Ulundi" - "The High Place". But as the Zulu Kingdom courageously faced a war against the advancing British colonialists, Cetshwayo’s city of dreams became a bloodstained wasteland, his kingdom’s armies finally crushed at the Battle of Ulundi.
Following the defeat at Ulundi, the Zulu Kingdom was brought under British rule and King Cetshwayo exiled to Cape Town, forced to sign a humiliating treaty that reduced Zululand to a landlocked shred of its former self. However, facing vicious revolts by the vengeful Zulu, the British allowed Cetshwayo to return to the ruins of his homeland and rebuild his trampled capital – but as time went on and kings changed one after one, the ruthless colonialists continued to take cut after cut out of Zululand, till little remained but the king’s personal crown lands around the royal kraal of Ulundi, a speck lost in the South African veld.
Nearly a century later, Zululand found itself surrounded by the apartheid regime and bordering its insidious political creation – the Bantustan of KwaZulu. Bantustans were designed to be separate homelands for native ethnic groups in South Africa and KwaZulu was meant for the Zulu, most of whom lived under apartheid rule beyond Zululand’s royal borders. Naturally the apartheid government claimed that this policy was designed to promote self-determination for different ethnic groups, but in reality, it was merely a way to justify the forced removal of native people from their homes and the stripping of their South African citizenships.
However, despite their differences, the kingdom and the bantustan had one thing in common – for they were both led by noble descendants of the royal bloodline. Once more the Zulu people were torn by a conflict between brothers: King Goodwill Zwelithini and Chief Minister Mangosuthu Buthelezi – cousins descended from the great King Cetshwayo. Buthelezi was a charismatic leader who believed in using political means to achieve the Zulu people's goals, founding the Inkatha Freedom Party for the Zulu people, and becoming the sole Chief Minister of KwaZulu. Jealous as he was of Zululand’s sovereignty, Buthelezi nevertheless stridently refused to accept the full – but largely fraudulent –independence offered by the South African government, unlike the “independent” bantustans of Bophuthatswana and Transkei, seeing true freedom for his people.
Unlike his modernist cousin, King Zwelithini was a traditionalist who believed in the power of the monarchy to unite the Zulu people and protect their interests – a stance Buthelezi subverted by recognizing the king’s role in KwaZulu’s constitution but reducing him to a figurehead ordered to hold aloof from politics. To his allies he presented it as a victory of modernism over monarchism – to his enemies it was proof that Buthelezi plotted to install a more pliable king in Ulundi or claim the crown for himself, a rumor that enraged the royal family in Ulundi and drew the ire of monarchists.
But as the apartheid regime began to crumble, the power struggle between Buthelezi and Zwelithini grew ever more bitter. KwaZulu was torn between republican groups led by the Inkatha Freedom Party advocating for reunification with South Africa and monarchist groups demanding KwaZulu’s unification with the Zulu Kingdom. In the end, Buthelezi triumphed by securing an alliance with Nelson Mandela and the African National Congress. Eventually compromise was reached - while the Bantustan of KwaZulu would reunify with South Africa, the royal crown would be granted ownership over much of the former bantustan’s territories in the form of the Ingonyama Trust, for the benefit, welfare, and well-being of the Zulu nation. Led by the king, the trust would own 29.67% of the land in KwaZulu-Natal equivalent to 28,000 square kilometers. But Buthelezi had two conditions – the royal crown would not directly endorse monarchist movements in KwaZulu-Natal and the kingdom would remain known as Zululand.
Buthelezi had the final laugh – the offer was too good to refuse. In the end, he was the one ruling over KwaZulu, while his cousin was left to reign over Zululand.
Nevertheless, the two sides of Zulu leadership managed to cooperate for the good of the Zulu people for decades, as South Africa struggled to become the “Rainbow Nation” of Mandela’s dreams. However, in the wake of Eswatini’s renaming from Swaziland in 2018, the new ambitious young Zulu king struck down the “wicked imposition” and announced the renaming of the kingdom from Zululand to the Kingdom of Kwazulu in 2020. Political leadership of KwaZulu-Natal fiercely opposed the change, arguing that it was tantamount to a declaration of war and a territorial claim by the king onto all of KwaZulu-Natal. Despite attempts by the South African government and fellow monarchs of Lesotho and Eswatini to moderate the conflict, provincial leadership continues to threaten to blockade the Kingdom or to nationalize the Ingonyama Trust territories, much to the fury of monarchist groups in the province.
Despite the turmoil, the Zulu people continue to celebrate their traditions and culture, whether it be in modern wear on the streets of Durban or in their ancestors’ garb on the Reed Dance ceremony in Ulundi, admiring the conquests of Shaka, the fortitude of Cetshwayo, the good will of Zwelithini, and the tenacity of Buthelezi.

Last edited:
Kenya/Tanzania are sort of an "either/or" situation where I figure one or the other country might be thought about as your standard African country.

I lumped Denmark and Norway in with Sweden due to how some American politicians on the left will talk about the Nordic model, putting each of those countries in the minds of Americans (although probably not Iceland, due to its geographic distance, or Finland, due to it not really being "Nordic").

Belarus was really only included due to the ongoing conflict, which while primarily between Ukraine and Russia has probably led to more people thinking about Belarus as well.
Moreso than either Congo or Morocco?

@SpanakoRyzo Thoughts on this? If you go with that South Pole arrangement, you're going to get North America positioned sideways and with the Mississippi and Hudson basins well into the temperate zone sitting at the same latitude besides each other. Chris Wayan's Planetcopia works usually involve him leaving the scars of glaciation (Great Lakes, Hudson Bay etc) in North America to some degree, claiming he does it because Americans he shows the globes to don't know geography (knowing his audience) and he doesn't want to get too speculative about the pre-ice geography of the area, but realistically is there any reason this huge basin shouldn't exist without glaciation wrecking it? It would be your worldbuilding project and I'm not an expert, but in my personal opinion there could be a North America with two very big and productive river basin regions positioned next to each other at the same latitude, which would be awesome for the spreading of crops and animals according to Jared Diamond. Maybe the Canadian Shield can get some good topsoil too, granted I don't know how much of the infertility of the Canadian Shield is due to climate/latitude and how much is due to its geology.
View attachment 834536

If I'm not making a really dumb mistake here and we're catching butterflies in a Wayan-esque fashion but still speculative biogeographical romantics, I figure the Earth's biosphere might be a tiny bit different from ours because of some... past trauma. Although Seapole did have the same issue addressed.

View attachment 834540Maybe putting the South Pole in the Lake Eyre Basin (currently 30S 139E) would be better for making a bigger Northern Hemisphere temperate band? Without bothering to put all of Australia and PNG in the Antarctic Circle since making an Antarctica-analogue will end in a half-baked manner and PNG's mountains will probably be glaciated anyways.
First of all, sorry for the late reply. Second, your work is phenomenal. Your Lake Eyre Basin proposal is actually superior. All that interconnected temperate real estate in the northern hemisphere, plus a plethora of temperate Mediterranean seas! I also like the 3 massive north American potential river systems. Empire building and diffusion of ideas at its finest.
I tend to avoid speculative biology. Wayan's own brand of speculation is rather unfortunate, to say the least.
One experiment would be to place OTL language groups and their major divisions in their starting positions and figure things out from there.
Once again I'd like to thank everyone for their amazing contributions. And if anyone else wants to take a shot at a "true" temperate Jaredia please do! There's empire real estate for everyone.

Qasbadil.png

Confederation of Kasbadil:

Kasbadil is a confederation located in the North West of North America. The native peoples of the Xʷə́lch[1] region have inhabited the area for thousands of years, divided into individual tribal groups and villages. In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, various waves of disease from Europe and Asia devastated the population, causing social collapse and disorder. During the 19th century, Asian fur traders and expolrers made contact and in some cases settled in the region, instigating conflict with the locals. In 1908, a coalition of Txʷəlšucid tribes unified under Kanib in order to prevent further expansion of Asian settlement. Over the next several decades, the coalition grew to include many related tribes, and fought several wars with settlers during the Gold Rush of the 20s. After years of encroachment, various leaders of the federation established Kasbadil as an official state in 1961, adopting a Han-style constitution and legal system. Since then, immigration from East Asia has increased substantially, and the region has industrialized, with the construction of modern ports and railroads built to take advantage of the lumber and fishing industries. Several Kasbadil groups, notably the Qʷidichha’atx̌[2] were involved in the whaling industry. The introduction of Buddhism and now-widespread practice of agriculture across the country have caused major social changes in recent decades, alongside changes brought by Han and Japanese farmers and miners into the region.

[1] Puget Sound
[2] Makah People

This is from a new Alt I'm working on with a delayed colonization of the Americas. Comments / questions appreciated!

Most of that Jewish state isn't Jewish (even the cities and towns weren't too Jewish outside of Saloniki and certain parts of Constantinople and Jews are very much a minority), and Russia and Greece would never allow Mt. Athos to be controlled by Jews. Greece and Bulgaria would fight over the region, or it would just be its own independent state, I mean I could vaguely see idealistic Western Europeans trying to make a multiethnic principality/kingdom of "Macedonia" or "Thrace" in that region, especially if it's to keep it separate from Greece, Bulgaria, and Turkey.
Maybe it could be a Greco-Judeo-Bulgarian collaboration?

Qasbadil.png

Kasbadil is a confederation located in the North West of North America. The native peoples of the Xʷə́lch[1] region have inhabited the area for thousands of years, divided into individual tribal groups and villages. In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, various waves of disease from Europe and Asia devastated the population, causing social collapse and disorder. During the 19th century, Asian fur traders and expolrers made contact and in some cases settled in the region, instigating conflict with the locals. In 1908, a coalition of Txʷəlšucid tribes unified under Kanib in order to prevent further expansion of Asian settlement. Over the next several decades, the coalition grew to include many related tribes, and fought several wars with settlers during the Gold Rush of the 20s. After years of encroachment, various leaders of the federation established Kasbadil as an official state in 1961, adopting a Han-style constitution and legal system. Since then, immigration from East Asia has increased substantially, and the region has industrialized, with the construction of modern ports and railroads built to take advantage of the lumber and fishing industries. Several Kasbadil groups, notably the Qʷidichha’atx̌[2] were involved in the whaling industry. The introduction of Buddhism and now-widespread practice of agriculture across the country have caused major social changes in recent decades, alongside changes brought by Han and Japanese farmers and miners into the region.

[1] Puget Sound
[2] Makah People

This is from a new Alt I'm working on with a delayed colonization of the Americas. Comments / questions appreciated!
Monastery is spelled with an E, but it might also be better to just use "temple". Up to you of course.

That said, very cool!

Last edited:
You have seen Churchill's plan to divide Germany. You have seen Hungary divided along the Danube. But what if we combine the two? A propaganda leaflet by the Hungarian People's Republic.
ZVXYNnY.png
I am surprised they didn’t show Burgenland as part of the Hungarian land. What is the significance of the two colors in Hungary? Are the Germany areas a part of South Germany on their own? Strange choice of flags, if so.

Ethiopia is rather well known in the West (or at least the Anglosphere) as a synonym for starvation and famine because of the 80s famine there and well-publicised aid campaigns like the famous charity singles "Do They Know It's Christmas" or "We Are the World." India doesn't get noted as a major power, more just for its poverty, curry, or stereotypical depictions of Hinduism or Indian immigrants (i.e. Apu, Indian tech support, etc.). And I'd say more people have a conception of Nigeria than Tanzania, given Nigeria's unfortunate association with corruption, scams (Nigerian princes), and maybe Boko Haram.
Qasbadil.png

[1] Puget Sound
[2] Makah People

I have a lot to point out since I like these types of scenarios:

No Chinookans? Did the downstream Chinookans of OTL southwestern WA get pushed out by the Salish? Only in some northerly areas--and as an indirect result of colonialism (like the 1830s malaria epidemic in the Lower Columbia region)--were the Chinookan tribes pushed south/assimilated into Salish culture. The WA side of the Columbia

Agriculture was becoming increasingly widespread by the mid-19th century among natives and the earliest record (besides tobacco, which they always farmed) is the earliest 19th century. But it never became prominent since clearing the forest was difficult and traditional burning of prairies was deeply ingrained and not too much less productive. I'd love to think there's a way to make the natives become more enthusiastic farmers, which could be pretty terrifying since the situation OTL was already enough like the New Zealand Musket Wars.

I'd love to see sources on your toponymy if possible because I've never seen some of them and I'd love them for my own TL. A few of them look like Chinook Jargon (IIRC it was usually whites who applied Chinook Jargon to places), and I can recognize most from the sources I used. I think some are inaccurate too since they refer to tribes (i.e. anything ending in "-ish" or "-bsh") and the Salish (and most/all Northwest Coast Indians) called a settlement after the traditional place name (which linked its residents to the past because of native beliefs regarding names), but I've seen mixed information on that.

And what is the origin of the name "Kasbadil" by any chance?

"Weyekin" isn't a religion, but a supernatural spirit power from Nez Perce religion, which isn't native to this region even if Salish religion has similar concepts, so it probably isn't the right term.

IMO the tribes would probably need to be hijacked by colonists to unite since their men jealously guarded their independence and had a long tradition of fighting each other. And that's why I think Asian interference in the PNW would have mixed-race elite running the show, and all the more so since metis-type groups in the New World are genetically slightly more resistant to introduced diseases.

Why do you think that would mean different borders, though?
Well, let's consider Yugoslavia. If there is no Axis occupation, there is no Ustaše client state, no Axis Macedonia, no Greater Albania, and no post-war Communist rule. When Croatia does eventually become an independent state, it does so with the Banovina borders. As far as the liberation of Europe goes, are the allied armies going to sit on the Elbe waiting for the Russians if Moscow's war effort has gone less well with a winter (instead of desert) fox commanding more and better supplied forces on the Eastern Front? The possibility seems there to potentially restore the 1937 borders in Eastern Europe with modifications.

Well, let's consider Yugoslavia. If there is no Axis occupation, there is no Ustaše client state, no Axis Macedonia, no Greater Albania, and no post-war Communist rule.
Unless Italy still manages to carve out a Balkan empire in all the chaos, as I vaguely recall was the case in the Footprint of Mussolini. Although that scenario of course would also result in different borders.

1560 again,
Schleswig-Holstein; Royal portion outlined, Schleswig-Holstein-Gottorp darker and joint territories are mid.
Mecklenburg; Schwerin darker green, Gustrow paler, B.of Schwerin just secularized so has B. outline, Wismar and Rostock as yet unintegrated into Schwerin.
schleswig-holstein plus mecklenburg-schwerin and mecklenburg-gustrow.png

Status
Not open for further replies.