Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
A map of a very strange European Union...

This is a prototype map of sorts for a project I've had in my head for a while. I do have some lore written up but it's nothing concrete, so feel free to ask about anything you see on this map. A lot of it is subject to change.

DeviantArt post
Reddit post (has a bonus map)
View attachment 820544
I am intrigued with Norway. I wonder how it ended up that they kept their islands and gained others. The Faeroe Islands are so culturally similar to Norwegians that they could be their own county, but to get Greenland (which all the Norse died in because the Norwegian or Danish King at the time refused to let anyone but himself send boats there, then left it alone for eighty years.) back or all the islands in the Arctic would be more difficult without their own ports. And of course the Swedes crossing those mountains to their northern coastline would be... Well, this certainly fits with what you called the map. I am assuming Norway and Iceland had a bit of a velvet divorce given the flag, which is both a shame since they are not together, and slightly comforting that they still are likely brothers in energy, fishing, and winter sports. Is Maryland a former Swedish colony?

I am intrigued with Norway. I wonder how it ended up that they kept their islands and gained others. The Faeroe Islands are so culturally similar to Norwegians that they could be their own county, but to get Greenland (which all the Norse died in because the Norwegian or Danish King at the time refused to let anyone but himself send boats there, then left it alone for eighty years.) back or all the islands in the Arctic would be more difficult without their own ports. And of course the Swedes crossing those mountains to their northern coastline would be... Well, this certainly fits with what you called the map. I am assuming Norway and Iceland had a bit of a velvet divorce given the flag, which is both a shame since they are not together, and slightly comforting that they still are likely brothers in energy, fishing, and winter sports. Is Maryland a former Swedish colony?
Truth be told, I didn't put a lot of thought into the Nordic region, particularly because I did that part last, so here goes some ad hoc explanations for things:

All of the islands were obtained during the Denmark-Norway period. Norway kept the islands in the divorce from Denmark, including Iceland. The Danes, on the other hand, kept all of the colonies elsewhere (which can't be seen on this map). There were several petty fights over Greenland, but Norway eventually won out as it had more international support. Norway discovered, explored and settled Svalbard, Oscar II Land (Franz Josef Land) and Nytt Land (Novaya Zemlya) much earlier than they were in our timeline.

Iceland separated from Norway some time later, but they remain close partners among themselves and also with Ireland and Albania. All 4 countries are part of the "closest associates" mentioned in the map, they are not formal members of the European Union.

Maryland is indeed a former Swedish colony.

qgf36d7nhypa1.png

The Suaydin Caliphate in 637 AD​

A scenario where Sajah ibn Suayd claimed the leadership of the Islamic community after the Ridda wars and led campaigns through the exhausted Sassanian and Byzantine Empires.

A "Suaydin Caliphate" probably wouldn't expand in the same way the OTL Rashidun Caliphate did - their power base would probably be somewhere in Yemen, and I suspect they would expand more towards Ethiopia and Somalia than to the north, and I reall doubt that they would take over trans-Zagrosian Persia.

Just some of my thoughts on what German revisionism might had looked like if Hitler had not come to power, how it might have been handled, and what the potential consequences might have been.

BT2.png

I was going to post the sequel tomorrow but seeing how little time I have for this sort of stuff recently I decided to post today and be done with the whole thing. The concept was originally invented as a plot twist for a CP victory scenario but it worked here as well.

PSP.png

Second Brothers' War.png

This map shows Germany and the Habsburg sphere of influence in 1910, in the aftermath of the Second Brothers' War. The PoD is that the July Revolution is averted and Henri V remains King of France. Butterflies lead to Austria and France intervening on behalf of the Sondebund War, which leads to the victory of the Sonderbund and Austria regaining the Habsburg ancestral seat of Habsurg Castle and the town of Habsburg. Austrian performance in the war leads to some army reforms that result in a Habsbueg victory during the Second Italian War of Independence, with Austria keeping Lombardy and Austria and France securing the independence of the other Italian states, and Austrian participation in the Russo-Turkish War that saw Austria fully annex Bosnia and the Sanjak of Novi Pazar. The Austro-Prussian War and the Franco-Prussian War go similiarly to OTL, ending with the formation of Germany in 1870. This state of affairs continues in Europe until around 1904. In that year, strikes erupt across Bavaria, demanding better working conditions, especially of miners and railway workers. The pro-workers' rights conservative government of Bavaria, including the King, enetered into negotiations with the unions, but as negotiations were ongoing, the anti-workers' rights liberal government in Berlin, including the Emperor, ordered Imperial troops to move into Bavaria and put down the strikes. This enraged the Bavarian government and the King mobilised the Bavarian Army as he sent an ultimatum to Berlin to stop the Imperial army. Berlin decided to try and call Munich's bluff and continued moving troops, leading to a Bavarian declaration of independence.

Bavaria gained support in the War of Independence from France, Austria, and the other South German states. France and Austria suffered some initial setbacks in the war, making it seem like it was going to be a repeat of 1867 and 1870. This caused Sardinia, Serbia, Montenegro, and Romania to join the war against Austria and France. Unfortunatley for Germany, France and Austria were able to work out the errors that had caused the setbacks and correct them. The Austro-Franco-Bavarian forces quickly moved into enemy territory, and in a few months, had occupied the whole of their countries. Towards the end of the war, the Dutch, Danes, and Russians also joined in the hopes of getting some territory from Prussia. The resulting peace treaty saw Russia annex much of Prussian Poland, the Danes retake Schleswig-Holstein, and the Dutch gain a chunk of the Prussian Rhineland. France retook Alsace-Lorraine and Austria regained Silesia. The remainder of the German Empire was dissolved, with most of the German states being reset to their 1866 borders. Then the western Prussian territories were divided between Hannover, the Hesses, and Bavaria, and Saxony was mostly restored to its pre-1815 borders. In the Balkans, Montenegro was reduced to its 1852, Belgrade and some of the Serbian okrugs bordering Bosnia along with Oltenia were annexed by Austria, with Montenegro, Serbia, and Romania being reduced to Austrian vassal states. The Kingdom of Sardinia was dismantled, with Sardinia proper being annexed to France along with Savoy and Nice, Austria annexing some territory brining Lombardy to its OTL modern borders in the east, and Genoa being reestablished as an independent state. The remainder of Sardinia became an Austrian vassal as the Principality of Piedmont.

Are there any maps from a TL where there is no Christianity, and also no Islam?

Bonus point if the map also shows the present-day situation of the world.

Last edited:
1679865189627.png

map of the world in 1910, 2 years before a 50-year long war in europe, in a timeline that started out as "what if kansas was bigger" and turned into a multi-partied usa that has only just now begun to have worker's rights implemented nationwide and such.

Decided to make a map since my "45th parallel" flip world. Everything below ~45.5 degrees N is flipped and matched up roughly so Montenegro lines up with Primorskiy Kray (Russia). This means China is where Asia Minor was, and vice versa.

I imagined the switch occurs somewhere in the 700s, and did not really have a big plan lol. Just had fun with it.

• The Normans are repulsed by the Franks, so they turn around and go to England.
  • China subjugated the Tatars of the Steppes, meaning Muscovy was never able to form Russia.
  • Pechenegs (Patzeniaks/Patsenaks) and other Tatars take over Kyiv, and slowly they form a hybrid Tatar/Slav identity around the Dnipro.
  • The Holy Roman Empire never formed around Germany, but instead the title of Rome became taboo, as it was believed Rome and the surviving Roman Empire were destroyed by God. This caused a minor crisis of faith, and many nations bordering China willingly adopted Buddhism.
  • Dioclea is the last Western Greek state, though they have changed much since the flip. They have a weird Slav/Greek/Chinese mixed culture.
  • The Chinese western border once stretched across Dioclea, Servia, and Croatia, but due to a massive civil war, those provinces slipped out of Imperial control.
  • Hokkaido was initially home to a pseudo-colonial web of Italian city states, but after a much shorter Sengoku Jidai (Warring States period), Japan fought two wars against the Italian states. The resulting coalition of Catholic states (now following the Avignon Papacy) succeeded in preventing Japanese control of Old Italy, while Hokkaido, Corsica, and Chishima fell under Japanese rule.
  • Japan underwent a civil war after their failure to take all of Italy, and the new government built a new capital new Toyama as Hokkyo (Northern Capital) to better facilitate interaction with Europe. European innovations in war convinced Japan to focus on its own modernisation, which involved use of early rifles and firing lines.
  • China, which maintained a degree of cultural exchange with Europe, was also part of this technological progress. They did not "fall behind" and remained the champion of Europe.

79UJ9S3.png

edit: fixed typo and some placement

Last edited:
Who's doing the fighting? Neo-Confederates? Still oppressed African-Americans? Both?
a mix of both, although the fighting *has* settled down some, with plans to reintegrate the states back into the union by 1915 having been set out
Can an industrial society maintain a 50 year war?
i mean, its more of a "few months of constant fighting then a year or so of angry glaring", but europe.. doesnt really come back from this like ever

Status
Not open for further replies.