Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cross-posting from MotF 272:

maczkow___polish_government_in_exile_by_reagentah_dfss7uk-fullview.png

Map style heavily inspired by reddit user u/Alagremm

------

The “Government of the Republic of Poland in exile” – known more commonly as Maczków after it’s de facto headquarters – is not only one of the longest-lasting governments-in-exile, but also one of the few to govern territory outside of its claimed territory. The government-in-exile claims to be the legitimate government of Poland, which is currently ruled by the Polish United Workers Party as a Communist one-party state. In addition, the government-in-exile also administers a tiny enclave inside of Germany, where the government-in-exile’s current headquarters of Maczków is located. While not formally claimed as sovereign territory by the government-in-exile, the Maczków de facto operates as one of the European microstates – and is home to a Polish population of around 25,000.

At the moment of Nazi Germany’s defeat in the Second World War, hundreds of thousands of Poles, were interned in what would become the British occupation zone of Germany. Many were forced laborers, but an appreciable contingent were members of the Polish Home Army that had been captured in the aftermath of the failed Warsaw Uprising and sent to prisoner camps. To house these displaced persons, the British occupation authorities evicted Germans civilians from a number towns, notably the city of Haren, and Polish families moved into the now vacated homes. The town of Haren was initially renamed Lwów, as many Poles who moved there were from East Galicia, but under diplomatic pressure from the Soviet Union (which annexed the city into the Ukrainian SSR) it was renamed Maczków in honor of General Stanisław Maczek.

The Polish Government-in-exile did not intend to occupy Maczków and its environs for long. However, after Communists in control of Poland (with the backing of the USSR) promulgated a new citizenship decree stripping citizenship from those who refused repatriation, many Poles (who did not wish to return to their homeland at the moment for fear of reprisals by the new Communist regime) found themselves stateless), some number emigrated to the British Commonwealth Countries or the United States, but a significant portion of Poles decided to reside in Maczków. The smaller Polish enclaves in the British occupation zone were gradually abandoned over the course of 1946-1948, but the city of Maczków, the largest Polish enclave and home to much of the surviving anti-Communist Polish intelligentsia, remained administered by the Polish government-in-exile.

As the Allies talked about combining their occupation zones into a pro-Western German state (which would become the Federal Republic of Germany, or “West Germany” in 1949), the issue of Maczków’s long-term status came to a head. Ultimately, the Poles were allowed to keep control of the city due to the lobbying of the United States. Many credit this to the intervention of the Polish diaspora in America, who were quite numerous in the crucial swing state of Illinois ahead of the 1948 Presidential election.

Maczków initially shared a border with the Netherlands after the controversial “Emsland Annexation” in 1947, but transformed into an enclave of West Germany after the Netherlands returned most of Emsland to West Germany in 1956. While not formally a member, Maczków is de facto treated as part of the European Economic Community and uses the Deutsche Mark as its currency. Economically, Maczków has invested in tourism and some light manufacturing, and is further supported by donations from the Polish diaspora in the west. While today Poland still remains under the rule of a one-party Marxist state propped up by the Soviet Union, the Polish government-in-exile still claims to be the legitimate government of the territory and plans to return to power when circumstances allow.

Decided to make a map since my "45th parallel" flip world. Everything below ~45.5 degrees N is flipped and matched up roughly so Montenegro lines up with Primorskiy Kray (Russia). This means China is where Asia Minor was, and vice versa.

I imagined the switch occurs somewhere in the 700s, and did not really have a big plan lol. Just had fun with it.

• The Normans are repulsed by the Franks, so they turn around and go to England.
  • China subjugated the Tatars of the Steppes, meaning Muscovy was never able to form Russia.
  • Pechenegs (Patzeniaks/Patsenaks) and other Tatars take over Kyiv, and slowly they form a hybrid Tatar/Slav identity around the Dnipro.
  • The Holy Roman Empire never formed around Germany, but instead the title of Rome became taboo, as it was believed Rome and the surviving Roman Empire were destroyed by God. This caused a minor crisis of faith, and many nations bordering China willingly adopted Buddhism.
  • Dioclea is the last Western Greek state, though they have changed much since the flip. They have a weird Slav/Greek/Chinese mixed culture.
  • The Chinese western border once stretched across Dioclea, Servia, and Croatia, but due to a massive civil war, those provinces slipped out of Imperial control.
  • Hokkaido was initially home to a pseudo-colonial web of Italian city states, but after a much shorter Sengoku Jidai (Warring States period), Japan fought two wars against the Italian states. The resulting coalition of Catholic states (now following the Avignon Papacy) succeeded in preventing Japanese control of Old Italy, while Hokkaido, Corsica, and Chishima fell under Japanese rule.
  • Japan underwent a civil war after their failure to take all of Italy, and the new government built a new capital new Toyama as Hokkyo (Northern Capital) to better facilitate interaction with Europe. European innovations in war convinced Japan to focus on its own modernisation, which involved use of early rifles and firing lines.
  • China, which maintained a degree of cultural exchange with Europe, was also part of this technological progress. They did not "fall behind" and remained the champion of Europe.

79UJ9S3.png

edit: fixed typo and some placement
I love it! I always said that the city of Milan has more in common with Tokyo (er... Hokkyo) than with Rome!

My first post here.

zdnOmgn.png

POD; After 1763, lessons were learnt from the Pontiac Rebellion and it was not just the First Nations that benefitted.
State representation in London was granted, first in an advisory capacity and, later, with seats in Parliament. This reduced but did not eliminate resentment over issues such as Taxation and Trade restrictions.
Benjamin Franklin's Anti-Slavery Bill was only narrowly defeated in 1790 but, now led by William Wilberforce, the Slave Trade was abolished in 1802.
Proposals in 1805 for the Abolishment of Slave Ownership (without compensation) was one of the major reasons for the American War of 1807. Troops gathering to support the Portuguese were diverted, under the command of Sir John Moore, to North America. The expedition was very successful until Moore was killed by a sharpshooter in 1809. The Rebels received support from Napoleon, mainly arms and materiel (although he did re-impose Slavery in Haiti), and from Spain in the form of Colonial troops. These turned the tide for the Rebels until Rebellions in the Spanish Colonies caused their withdrawal.
With Portugal dismembered and Ferdinand VII Napoleon's puppet King of Spain, Britain's attempts to form a Fifth Coalition came to nought.

British efforts in North America, now commanded by Sir George Hewett, concentrated on Spanish Louisiana and the recovery of Pennsylvania. Whilst the operations against the Spanish were comparatively easy the American War was turning into a stalemate. Despite the Royal Navy blockade the Americans were able to produce just enough arms to continue and their less formal form of warfare was causing considerable losses.

Peace was signed with the Independent States of America in 1811, it included the cession of Louisiana although this was never formally recognized by Spain or France.

A "Suaydin Caliphate" probably wouldn't expand in the same way the OTL Rashidun Caliphate did - their power base would probably be somewhere in Yemen, and I suspect they would expand more towards Ethiopia and Somalia than to the north, and I reall doubt that they would take over trans-Zagrosian Persia.
Why would a Suaydin Caliphate have its power base in Yemen??

My first post here.

zdnOmgn.png

POD; After 1763, lessons were learnt from the Pontiac Rebellion and it was not just the First Nations that benefitted.
State representation in London was granted, first in an advisory capacity and, later, with seats in Parliament. This reduced but did not eliminate resentment over issues such as Taxation and Trade restrictions.
Benjamin Franklin's Anti-Slavery Bill was only narrowly defeated in 1790 but, now led by William Wilberforce, the Slave Trade was abolished in 1802.
Proposals in 1805 for the Abolishment of Slave Ownership (without compensation) was one of the major reasons for the American War of 1807. Troops gathering to support the Portuguese were diverted, under the command of Sir John Moore, to North America. The expedition was very successful until Moore was killed by a sharpshooter in 1809. The Rebels received support from Napoleon, mainly arms and materiel (although he did re-impose Slavery in Haiti), and from Spain in the form of Colonial troops. These turned the tide for the Rebels until Rebellions in the Spanish Colonies caused their withdrawal.
With Portugal dismembered and Ferdinand VII Napoleon's puppet King of Spain, Britain's attempts to form a Fifth Coalition came to nought.

British efforts in North America, now commanded by Sir George Hewett, concentrated on Spanish Louisiana and the recovery of Pennsylvania. Whilst the operations against the Spanish were comparatively easy the American War was turning into a stalemate. Despite the Royal Navy blockade the Americans were able to produce just enough arms to continue and their less formal form of warfare was causing considerable losses.

Peace was signed with the Independent States of America in 1811, it included the cession of Louisiana although this was never formally recognized by Spain or France.
Nice map and scenario

I'd add an outline or shadow for the white text, though. It's hard to read against the sea and the bright pink areas

Nice map and scenario

I'd add an outline or shadow for the white text, though. It's hard to read against the sea and the bright pink areas
Thank you for the comments.
I made the white text transparent so it didn't dominate the map, I'll consider adding a shadow next time.

I guess you missed the city icons in that case?

Thank you for the comments.
I made the white text transparent so it didn't dominate the map, I'll consider adding a shadow next time.

I guess you missed the city icons in that case?
Oh yeah, now that you mention it.

The internal borders could also use either a thickening or a shadow. They are visible close up, but not much from a distance, though I suppose that's fine for internal stuff.

Map of Europe in January 1921 following the end of the Great War in July of 1920.
This is for a large timeline I'm planning on writing and posting to the forums, just getting some graphics prep out of the way first!

european_map_1921_by_kinglarthur_dfsuevo-fullview.jpg

Map of Europe in January 1921 following the end of the Great War in July of 1920.
This is for a large timeline I'm planning on writing and posting to the forums, just getting some graphics prep out of the way first!

european_map_1921_by_kinglarthur_dfsuevo-fullview.jpg
Very cool stuff. Reminds me a bit (this is not an accusation, we're dealing with a similar historical situation) of Fatherland Falls, a now-dead collaborative project I was part of. The third link in my signature thing.

dfsuwx2-bdd0d846-c9b4-46c8-8df1-cc0283e61ca3.png

AU: Taking inspiration from LaMamelle ‘s gorgeous national park maps, as well as a favorite timeline of mine, Land of Sweetness, this map was just a little experiment with the wonderfully aesthetic Unigrid design, designed by Massimo Vignelli and used by the National Park Service.I used this repository of historical brochures to get ideas, and Inkscape to make the final map. Some images generated using Midjourney.

EDIT: Also, thanks for the nomination and all the votes in the Turtledoves! I'm truly shocked and honored that I even was nominated, let alone won. Thanks to everyone who participated!

Writeup:
Sheltering Pine Island Bay, Sanibel Island National Park is the home to unique historical and natural resources. Home to the continental United States’ only Mayan ruins, Sanibel is not only testament to the meeting of two ancient cultures but also the home of world-renowned shelly beaches and biodiverse mangroves. Your trip to Sanibel is both a journey back in time and a visit to one of our nation's most well-preserved barrier islands.

Last edited:

Well, that's a week for Plagiarism.

The image has a copyright printed right on it, yet you gave NO indication that it was not your own work, nor did you credit where you sourced the copyrighted material.

This is a one bite offense.

You just had yours.
I apologize if I'm late to the party, but his post seems to be unedited, and yet at the bottom of the post there's a hyperlink in the word "Source" - isn't that what he's supposed to do?

I apologize if I'm late to the party, but his post seems to be unedited, and yet at the bottom of the post there's a hyperlink in the word "Source" - isn't that what he's supposed to do?
They weren't kicked for that post.
They were kicked for this one. (IIRC, the announcement on the Kick and Ban thread even says that the post you linked proved that they knew the rules of this thread, making it egregious)

Cross-posting from MotF 272:

maczkow___polish_government_in_exile_by_reagentah_dfss7uk-fullview.png

Pretty interesting, I have thought about whether you could see such exile government built around autonomous ethnic enclaves. You dould have them elsewhere, you can pretty much build them on bare field (one of the German refugee camps (Oksbøl) was the 6th biggest settlement with 36.000 refugees in Denmark after the War.

Status
Not open for further replies.