Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a map I made years ago I abandonned/dropped because I wasn't satisfied with the ideas and couldn't find the motivation to write descriptions for each, it's been decaying long enough in my folder so i'm posting it

View attachment 743424
1 - Carnation revolution is more radical
2 - NATO sponsored breakaway Azorean state after 1 -
3 - Sebastian's ambitions are accomplished
4 - 16th-17th century lisbon had thousands of subsaharian slaves, it would be a shame if they fled after a earthquake
5 - Celto-Galician settlement survives, is part of a wider Iberian christian state
6 - Suebi kingdom survives
7 - www.deviantart.com/reagentah/a…
8 - Ibn Qasi's revolt against the Almoravid succeeds with no Almohad involvment, eventually manages to create a state with his murīdūn followers
9 - Spanish occupation of Portugal in WW2 if Spain joined the axis and portugal tried to go for the
10 - Union between Portugal and Leon, Probably happens after a stalemate in the war of castillan succession
11 - Napoleonic victory, the Braganca stay in the americas
12 - Did you know that the Municipal Senate of Macau never recognised the Iberian Union?
13 - The princpalty of the algarves after the 1807 treaty of Fontainebleau
14 - Lol, lmao
15 - Vikings were regularly raiding the portuguese coast in the 9th-10th century, what if they stuck around? Probably imagine a norman like kingdom
16 - Pre-Indo-European Turdulian stick around! Basically basques on the opposite side of Iberia
17 - Galicia-Portucale never cross the Tejo, their fishermen still go across the atlantic, and they manage to colonise North America,
18 - L U S O D R A K A
19 - Pink Map + Portugal manages to defend Para-Maranhao in the Brazilian war of independence
20 - Yeah, that's Humberto Delgado's colonial reform plans http://casacomum.org/cc/visualizador?pasta=02587.014.004#!1
two things, firstly 19 is a crime if it is not led by Pedro V, I mean he would make that Portugal a great power with the amount of resources and possibilities.
secondly 20 is easily the best outcome for Portugal in the 20th century without having to outright change history all too much.

Year 1900, just before the outbreak of the Great War, in a world where the Ottoman Empire collapsed in the 1840s.​

hqusbt93gv091.png

Lore:
The 2nd Ottoman-Egyptian war was a disaster. Egyptian troops brutally defeated Ottoman forces, while the Ottoman Navy defected to the Egyptian side. While Britain wanted to intervene, pressure from France, Spain and Russia prevented him from doing it.
After the Convention of Lugano, in 1940, Constantinople recognised full Egyptian independence and its control over the Levant and Hejaz. Soon after, a civil war broke out within the Empire, between radical reformers and conservatives; which was made worse when the Balkan Peoples (united under a common objective, freedom) revolted, and the Mamluks of Iraq were convinced by Muhammad Ali to declare independence for further development.
This would, by 1846, made the Ottoman Empire a rump state in Anatolia, a shadow of its former self.
Just two years after that, the Revolutions of 1848 broke out across Europe:
The monarchies of Spain and France were ousted, and progressive-republican governments were put in place. In the east, Hungary revolted against Habsburg rule, and even Vienna itself revolted against tyranny. With Russia preocupied with its own rebellions (simultaneously, in Central Asia by Kazakhs and in the Caucasus by various groups), the Habsburg government was forced to recognize Hungarian independence and reform itself into a constitutional monarchy.
At the same time, Prussia rejected the crown of a unified germany, which led to the Revolutionaries offering the crown to Ferdinand I, which led to a partial german unification: Austria, Bavaria, Baden, Württemberg, and some minor states.
The so-called "German War" of 1856 would see a Prussian-led north-german alliance get crushed by the German Empire, while Italy, supported by France, managed to "liberate" Venice from the Germans.
In North America, the American Civil war would see the great USA get divided between a "rump" USA, the CSA, the State of Deseret (a mormon country) and the Pacific States (a mixed hispanic-english federation of states). British support for the CSA proved essential, which made the CSA really close with Britain.
It was only in 1866 that the United Kingdom of Northern Italy managed to unify the Italian Peninsula, forming the Italian Kingdom, a progressive constitutional monarchy. Soon after, a friendship alliance was signed with France.
In 1869, the Suez Canal was opened in Egypt, jointly controlled by France and Spain.
The "Mediterranean Pact", between Egypt, France, Spain and Italy was formalised in 1870, antagonizing British imperialism and Russian interests in the Middle East.
The next decades would see the deepening of European colonialism in Asia, with the Great Qing being forced to cede territories to Russia, Britain, France and Spain with the enacting of Unequal Treties, while the African continent remained relatively unexplored until 1890s. Two main factors opened Africa to colonisation:
In 1885, Egyptian forces conquering Equatoria arrived to the Great Lakes, and rumors about its riches spread across the Nile reached european governments.
In 1893, Spanish historian and explorer Cánovas del Castillo accompained Zanzibari slaveowner, and (self-appointed) governor of the Congo, Tippu Tip, across Africa, being the first European to travel across Africa from Zanzibar to the mouth of the Congo River.
Reporting the natural riches and potential mineral deposit, this would inspire a renewed effort on colonising a new continent, which would still by the 1900 to be fairly unknown.
By this day, the world is divided between two blocs: the Mediterranean Pact and its allies, and the Moscow Accord and its own allies.
The 14th of May, 1900, Queen Victoria was killed by a bomb, while visiting Dublin, by an Irish separatist, which was found to have been armed and commanded by French secret services. Will this tragic event escalate to a wider conflict? We'll see...

Alliances of the world (the "Allies" section only includes main ones):
uq8nis93gv091.png

As always, all feedback and questions are appreciated!

qazse

Gone Fishin'
This scenario was made by a Reddit user, u/The-Autistic-Goat, and update with his permission. I combined his maps of Asia and the Americas and used notes he provided me to fill in Europe and Africa, with a couple ideas of my own.

Lore

Alwy4nK.png

So I read that Friedrich the third didn't really want to join against France after the failure in Russia. Don't know why, maybe fear of Napoleon or something else.
So I made a map for that. Prussia only got Danzig back duo to it being surrounded by Prussia. Otherwise than the Three Italies plan becoming real, the rest is basically like OTL.
View attachment 742948
I like this Germany

1.png

What if Turks settled in the Aegean instead of Anatolia Interior?
My what if map showing that situation in the form of a language map for this switched Greece.
Thoughts and comments?​

Year 1900, just before the outbreak of the Great War, in a world where the Ottoman Empire collapsed in the 1840s.​

[snip]

As always, all feedback and questions are appreciated!
How did Belgium get so large? Is the Ottoman collapse what triggered the lack of scramble in Africa? Is Brazil a monarchy? Is Mexico?

Honestly, for a switched Turkey and Greece, it would be interesting if the Greeks call themselves Rhomania (or even claim descent from the Pontic Kingdom of Mithridates the Great) while the Turks call their state Rumelia, especially as the "core" of Ancient Greece would be within the Turkish borders ITTL.

Honestly, for a switched Turkey and Greece, it would be interesting if the Greeks call themselves Rhomania (or even claim descent from the Pontic Kingdom of Mithridates the Great) while the Turks call their state Rumelia, especially as the "core" of Ancient Greece would be within the Turkish borders ITTL.
There's already a Romania on the map (see upper left), so I think to avoid any confusion the latter option would be more likely

This scenario was made by a Reddit user, u/The-Autistic-Goat, and update with his permission. I combined his maps of Asia and the Americas and used notes he provided me to fill in Europe and Africa, with a couple ideas of my own.

Lore

Alwy4nK.png
The lore on this just reads like a far right nutjob’s fears (and wants) being taken to the extreme. I’m reasonably certain that if you plugged the lore into a word cloud, “genocide” would appear more than most other words.

It’s the usual Yellow Panic lore with China RPing the Orks with zero regard for geography or demographic realities (colonizing with what people?).

But hey, the map’s pretty so have a like.

View attachment 743554
What if Turks settled in the Aegean instead of Anatolia Interior?
My what if map showing that situation in the form of a language map for this switched Greece.
Thoughts and comments?​

This is pretty fascinating and I always felt like the Anatolian Greeks never been talked about that much.

The Turks here would be pretty Greekish/has heavy Hellenic influence on them. Probably Christians, or something like that.

As you say, the Greeks here would probably claim descent from the Pontic Kingdom of Mithridates the Great, and also from the Seleucids and the Kingdom of Cappadocia.

Unigov's Throne

j1f21n6yfn091.png

---
It is the year 2285, 219 years after the fourth World War, known now as the Great Readjustment, between the International Federation and the New World Path ended with the asteroid strike on Beijing, triggering a massive climate catastrophe. As the world slowly recovered from the apocalypse, a shadowy cabal of figures from some major post apocalyptic states established the Universal Government, known as Unigov, which slowly began to control much of the world.

Many parts of the world have risen from the ashes, and are thriving. Space elevators straddle the equator, vast archologies house tens of millions and Unigov’s military arm, the infamous PaxFor have managed to put down several conflict spots across the world. New religions have popped up just as old religions have come back from the dead, while many places have abandoned their belief in the unseen in face of the carnage of the Long Night, when the world was choked in post impact ash. The economic heartland of the planet shifted down south, with Latin America and Africa being some of the most prosperous regions of the planet, while places such as Europe remained as barbaric as they were during the Long Night.

This may seem as a broken world, but it has healed, and now looks to the future with a desire to pursue the stars on wings, all under the watchful gaze of Unigov’s throne.
---
So yeah, I just finished this thing I have been working on since November. Admittedly it did not turn out as good as I hoped, and I lost interest in it quite a while back. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE check out the source material by NK_Ryzov, he has the most creative and interesting worldbuilding project I have seen. Also special thanks to Skartchian for getting the base maps using GProjector magic.

This is pretty fascinating and I always felt like the Anatolian Greeks never been talked about that much.

The Turks here would be pretty Greekish/has heavy Hellenic influence on them. Probably Christians, or something like that.

As you say, the Greeks here would probably claim descent from the Pontic Kingdom of Mithridates the Great, and also from the Seleucids and the Kingdom of Cappadocia.
It does bring up a question on how the legacy of Athens and Sparta would be altered. Would there be a modern day disconnect with Plato and co if Athens was now speaking Turkish? Would the Turks try to claim them as their own?

Status
Not open for further replies.