Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
The lore on this just reads like a far right nutjob’s fears (and wants) being taken to the extreme. I’m reasonably certain that if you plugged the lore into a word cloud, “genocide” would appear more than most other words.

It’s the usual Yellow Panic lore with China RPing the Orks with zero regard for geography or demographic realities (colonizing with what people?).

But hey, the map’s pretty so have a like.
Oh yeah and The_Autistic_Goat is Quebecois.

This scenario was made by a Reddit user, u/The-Autistic-Goat, and update with his permission. I combined his maps of Asia and the Americas and used notes he provided me to fill in Europe and Africa, with a couple ideas of my own.

Lore

Alwy4nK.png
That is an absolutely amazing map. I love how it has over a 100 pages of lore, including flags.

EDIT: Nevermind. The lore is terrifying. Totally agree with @alexffnet. Downgrading to like.

Last edited:
That is an absolutely amazing map. I love how it has over a 100 pages of lore, including flags.

EDIT: Nevermind. The lore is terrifying. Totally agree with @alexffnet. Downgrading to like.

Poor, poor Iran. They always get the short end of the stick on these maps. In fact, I really haven't seen a lot of maps where Iran keeps all of their current territories (let alone expands!). Absolutely awesome map though, @qazse and excellent work! (sorry, I accidentally said MrVulcan created the map by mistake. I have corrected that now).

Last edited:
qwwjgIj.png

A map depicting The War of Six Kings: the second great civil war within the Carolingian Empire following the deposition of Emperor Charles III "the Fat" in the year 890 AD. East Franicia is black while its client states are a dark grey. Lotharingia is a dark blue while its client states are a lighter shade of blue. Neustria is the turquoise colored state while Aquitaine is a reddish orange colored. Great Moravia is the pale blue colored state. The Sardinian Judicates are lavender colored while Italy proper is a dark green. The Kingdom of Astruias is yellow, while Pamplona is brownish orange.
After doing more research, I've dug up my old outlines and map ideas for the Carolingian Empire and created this map. I'm planning to eventually start a new timeline regarding a surviving Carolingian Empire following the deposition of Charles the Fat. Here unlike otl, Carolingian Empire has essentially fractured into six different petty kingdoms during the Interregnum before its finally re-united.

The main divergence from otl in this timeline is that Pope Adrian III manages to live a bit longer than otl and is able to meet with Emperor Charles III legitimizing his son Bernard. This allows Charles to name his son the King of Lotharingia in 885.

In 887, angered by his uncle's actions which now place him out of the line of succession, Arnulf of Carinthia like in otl uses the discontent among the nobility and clergy with Charles for his perceived incompetence and lack of martial prowess to rebel against him. He marched at the head of a small force taking into custody both Charles and Bernard. He then called a Diet at Tribur where he formally deposed Charles of his throne in East Francia. Bernard however much to his cousin's chagrin escaped, thanks to the aid of Charles' loyal Alemannians. He then quickly made his way to Lotharingia where in Aachen he proclaimed himself the rightful ruler of the Empire. However because of his fairly young age and short time on the throne, his reign in Lotharingia was quite tenuous as there were many nobles who supported Arnulf of Carinthia.

Within the rest of the Empire however, seeing the power vacuum forming, each Kingdom elected a king for itself. Within Neustria (West Francia), the powerful Count Odo, who distinguished himself in the Viking siege of Paris was elected. However he was unable to take over Southern France as Rainulf II of Poitou managed to secure for himself the Crown of Aquitaine. Burgundy fractured into two with the Kingdom of Provence falling under Louis the Child (the son of Boso I) while upper Burgundy was ruled by Rudolph I. Upper Burgundy however swore fealty to King Arnulf while Bernard cut a deal with Louis the Child's court and accepted his fealty promising him the entirety of Burgundy once Arnulf was dealt with.

Within East Francia, a revolt broke out in Alammania where most of it's nobles revolted in favor of Bernard forcing Arnulf into action who also had to deal with the threat of the expansionist power to the East: Great Moravia.

Within Italy Guy of Spoletto siezed the Iron Crown now that throne in Pavia was vacant. With the Papacy and most of the Italian nobles on his side, he also proclaimed himself Emperor.

What do you guys think of the map? It's been honestly been a while since I made maps like this so I'm a bit rusty.

qwwjgIj.png

A map depicting The War of Six Kings: the second great civil war within the Carolingian Empire following the deposition of Emperor Charles III "the Fat" in the year 890 AD. East Franicia is black while its client states are a dark grey. Lotharingia is a dark blue while its client states are a lighter shade of blue. Neustria is the turquoise colored state while Aquitaine is a reddish orange colored. Great Moravia is the pale blue colored state. The Sardinian Judicates are lavender colored while Italy proper is a dark green. The Kingdom of Astruias is yellow, while Pamplona is brownish orange.
After doing more research, I've dug up my old outlines and map ideas for the Carolingian Empire and created this map. I'm planning to eventually start a new timeline regarding a surviving Carolingian Empire following the deposition of Charles the Fat. Here unlike otl, Carolingian Empire has essentially fractured into six different petty kingdoms during the Interregnum before its finally re-united.

The main divergence from otl in this timeline is that Pope Adrian III manages to live a bit longer than otl and is able to meet with Emperor Charles III legitimizing his son Bernard. This allows Charles to name his son the King of Lotharingia in 885.

In 887, angered by his uncle's actions which now place him out of the line of succession, Arnulf of Carinthia like in otl uses the discontent among the nobility and clergy with Charles for his perceived incompetence and lack of martial prowess to rebel against him. He marched at the head of a small force taking into custody both Charles and Bernard. He then called a Diet at Tribur where he formally deposed Charles of his throne in East Francia. Bernard however much to his cousin's chagrin escaped, thanks to the aid of Charles' loyal Alemannians. He then quickly made his way to Lotharingia where in Aachen he proclaimed himself the rightful ruler of the Empire. However because of his fairly young age and short time on the throne, his reign in Lotharingia was quite tenuous as there were many nobles who supported Arnulf of Carinthia.

Within the rest of the Empire however, seeing the power vacuum forming, each Kingdom elected a king for itself. Within Neustria (West Francia), the powerful Count Odo, who distinguished himself in the Viking siege of Paris was elected. However he was unable to take over Southern France as Rainulf II of Poitou managed to secure for himself the Crown of Aquitaine. Burgundy fractured into two with the Kingdom of Provence falling under Louis the Child (the son of Boso I) while upper Burgundy was ruled by Rudolph I. Upper Burgundy however swore fealty to King Arnulf while Bernard cut a deal with Louis the Child's court and accepted his fealty promising him the entirety of Burgundy once Arnulf was dealt with.

Within East Francia, a revolt broke out in Alammania where most of it's nobles revolted in favor of Bernard forcing Arnulf into action who also had to deal with the threat of the expansionist power to the East: Great Moravia.

Within Italy Guy of Spoletto siezed the Iron Crown now that throne in Pavia was vacant. With the Papacy and most of the Italian nobles on his side, he also proclaimed himself Emperor.

What do you guys think of the map? It's been honestly been a while since I made maps like this so I'm a bit rusty.

I know your a fan of the Carolingian Empire and that era of history. The idea that the Carolingian Empire actually survives and endurance (Well, besides this little war...) is a fascinating trope to explore.

In short Europe/the western half turns out much more Chinese dynasties so to speak.

So hats off going back to this and the War of the Six Kings is very ASOAF sounding.

know your a fan of the Carolingian Empire and that era of history.
Honestly there's a whole lot of interesting stuff to talk about that Era. I hate that on youtube and in schools the only real mentions of it are Charlemagne, and the Treaty of Verdun before jumping to the Ottonians.

In short Europe/the western half turns out much more Chinese dynasties so to speak.
Sort of, though this makes the development of Europe very different than otl. There aren't that many Roman institutions still in use, and the literate class and trade networks of old have all collapsed.

So hats off going back to this and the War of the Six Kings is very ASOAF sounding.
Yeah I'm thinking that Bernard would be something of an Aurelian like figure forcefully bringing each region of the Empire back under his control kicking and screaming. Though of course there will be stuff like the Vikings, Magyars, Iberia, Saracen Piracy, for the Empire to deal with. I'm thinking that the Empire would be sudivided according to a new sort of "Ordinatio Imperii" though this time Bernard will take a much harder line to prevent himself from ending up like Louis the Pious.

Draw.png

This is basically a what if on if CosmicMapping's "Great Continental War" as I like to call it actually ended in a draw rather than Missouri forcing a status quo peace treaty (and starting an arms race in the process). I had Montana, Wyoming and Nebraska completely destroyed, as Cheyenne and Billings had fallen and the Dakotans were making good headway towards Omaha, and I also took out Kansas due to the Texans having taken Wichita and Nevada due to Las Vegas being halfway up their territory. On the red side, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania are gone, but New York has lost some territory to Massachusetts.

Last edited:
View attachment 743715
This is basically a what if on if CosmicMapping's "Great Continental War" as I like to call it actually ended in a draw rather than Missouri forcing a status quo peace treaty (and starting an arms race in the process). I had Montana, Wyoming and Nebraska completely destroyed, as Cheyenne and Billings had fallen and the Dakotans were making good headway towards Omaha, and I also took out Kansas due to the Texans having taken Wichita and Nevada due to Las Vegas being halfway up their territory. On the red side, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania are gone, but New York has lost some territory to Massachusetts.
Caliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiifornia

Status
Not open for further replies.