Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another from my timeline the great Berber empire was founded by the son of the Askil, over the 8th century it spread to encompass most of north Africa and conquered Visigothic Spain, in the early 9th conquered the tribes to the southwest, the empire's capital is in Carthage and aside from the Persians they are the main competitor to the roman empire and the only naval power against it.

the empire is divided in provinces and vassals, the Provinces are mainly the coastal and mountainous valleys of north Africa, where most of the population is sedentary with some exceptions to the semi-nomadic and nomadic tribes located in the south of these regions, the others are vassals these are mostly desert nomads of the Berbers who declared their allegiance and paid tribute to the Berber emperor unlike the provinces they are not as romanized, the exception to this is Hispania highly urbanized the second son of the first Berber emperor invaded Hispania during the civil war taking the peninsula in less than a decade installing himself as the new king but swearing loyalty to his father Berber influence reduced overtime on the peninsula by now in the late 9th century they continue to drift in culture and language but still part of the same empire. The Berbers have tried to conquer Egypt to complete the conquest of north Africa in more than one occasion but were always beaten back

Great berber empire 870s (1).png

Last edited:
Civilian Tech is basically 1950s-60s level, whilst due to magic, War tech is kinda stuck in the early 1700s. No one wants to use unwieldy guns and cannons when they have massive spells right there. A weird situation for sure.
I remember reading someone argue that due to the Elder Scrolls setting's magic being unusually prevalent (almost anyone could be taught at least a few basic spells), gunpowder would never gain widespread adoption due to its extreme vulnerability to Destruction magic. Any decent-sized gunpowder magazines or barrel storage tents, vital to a nascent firearm-equipped army, would immediately become priority targets for enemy saboteur-mages; having what is essentially a giant bomb in the middle of your fortresses and army camps is not ideal, to put it lightly. As a result, firearm technology would never advance past early muskets, leading to smokeless powder being butterflied away; shutting out this entire branch of the technology tree altogether.

I don't know how convincing that last point is. Is smokeless powder an exclusively military technology? Fire-resistant insensitive explosives certainly aren't. Could they still be eventually invented, enabling firearms to become viable - if at a far later stage of technological development compared to OTL?

Last edited:
So I read that Friedrich the third didn't really want to join against France after the failure in Russia. Don't know why, maybe fear of Napoleon or something else.
So I made a map for that. Prussia only got Danzig back duo to it being surrounded by Prussia. Otherwise than the Three Italies plan becoming real, the rest is basically like OTL.
1652984257536.png

MODERN TAMRIEL SERIES #1:-
THE EMPIRE OF CYRODIIL

tgDKydK.png

With the declaration of the 8th Era after the formation of the Tamriellic Union - an economic and political supranational union of Tamriellic Nations - the Empire of Cyrodiil became the largest, most populous, and most powerful nation in the TU. The Imperial City, the center of Tamriel, and the Nexus of Mundus became the de-facto capital of the TU, becoming the figurehead city of all of Tamriel for the first time since the days of the Oblivion Crisis. After centuries - millennia even - of warfare, genocides, and empires coming and going, Tamriel was ready to rest, and instead pursue her ambitions economically, and no other country showcased that fact more than Cyrodiil. The common currency and free borders - The Alinor Area - allowed for immense wealth to flow into the nation as Cyrodiil, and indeed all of Tamriel finally put the memory of the Great Wars of the Fourth to the Seventh Eras behind them.

Boasting a population of over 110 Million, Cyrodiil is the most populous member of the Tamriellic Union. Though not as cosmopolitan as the glory days of the Third Empire due to the Imperial-centric focus of the Fifth and Sixth Empires, it remains the most ethnically and racially diverse region of Tamriel to this date. It is dominated by the Races of Man at around ~87% with the rest being Elvish populations. Tamriellic remains - like throughout all of Tamriel - the favored languages of communication between all cultures, though, of course, Cyrodiilic is spoken by and large as well. Its government is a Parliamentary Constitutional Monarchy headed by His Majesty the Emperor Desilus III of the House of Carvain who united the now called 7th Empire of Cyrodiil. Its current High Chancellor after the Elections of 8E 1 is Nelsinah Teltis - a Dunmer Warrioress from Cheydinhal - whose political party - Cyrodiil Forward - managed to win a supermajority. Like all TU members, the Tamriellic Crown (TRC) is the nation's currency.

thoughts and comments?
I've always thought that "Septimopolis" would be a better name for the Imperial City.

So I read that Friedrich the third didn't really want to join against France after the failure in Russia. Don't know why, maybe fear of Napoleon or something else.
So I made a map for that. Prussia only got Danzig back duo to it being surrounded by Prussia. Otherwise than the Three Italies plan becoming real, the rest is basically like OTL.
View attachment 742948
May I ask for basemap?
And - who rule in Rhineland and in Vestphalia?
Who in Italy? (Savoy, pope, Bourbons? what about poor Habsburg then?)
Why is there independent Belgium?

Languages of the British Isles.png

A language map of the western British Isles, including Wales, Cornwall, and far-western England circa 2018.

Germanic - English, various dialects
Celtic - Welsh, Cornish
Romance - Northern and Cardiff Silures

Are there other Romance speakers still about in the rest of the UK ITTL?
Silures is the only indigenous Romance language in the British Isles. During the invasion of the Anglo-Saxons, Romano-Britons escaped into the Welsh countryside. IOTL, their variant of British Latin survived until the 700s, being replaced by Brittonic languages. However ITTL, their language becomes more common as a vernacular and, with lots of influence from Welsh and English, survives to the modern day.

So I made a map for that. Prussia only got Danzig back duo to it being surrounded by Prussia.
Who is king in Rhineland?

Silures is the only indigenous Romance language in the British Isles. During the invasion of the Anglo-Saxons, Romano-Britons escaped into the Welsh countryside. IOTL, their variant of British Latin survived until the 700s, being replaced by Brittonic languages. However ITTL, their language becomes more common as a vernacular and, with lots of influence from Welsh and English, survives to the modern day.
Hmmm... so THAT'S why nobody could figure out what to do with Monmouthshire for, like, 400 years :p

May I ask for basemap?
And - who rule in Rhineland and in Vestphalia?
Who in Italy? (Savoy, pope, Bourbons? what about poor Habsburg then?)
Why is there independent Belgium?
Who is king in Rhineland?
Basemap I can share later.
I would say both are ruled by Habsburgs.
There was a French plan to turn Italy into a northern and middle Italien kingdom. I would say the Savoy rule rhe northern one, the middle one I don't have an idea.
Because Belgium was independent during 1865.

[cut]

"While all sides did not exactly got what they wanted from the peace, the treaties that where drawn up following the negotiated peace reflected the outcome of the war very well, since neither party could claim total victory. In Eastern Europe, most of the treaty of Brest-Litovsk was upheld. giving Germany huge sway in the region, it was also hoped that these new states would serve as a buffer against the Russian Bolsheviks. In the West, less radical changes to the border where made. Luxemburg was annexed into Germany and plebiscites where held in Alsace-Loraine leading to minor changes on the Franco-German border. The ailing Habsburg Empire was restructured into a Triple Monarchy, which won out against the idea of turning the empire into a federation. While it lost Istria to the Italians, Montenegro was incorporated into the the Kingdom of Illyria. A plebiscite was held in West Galicia, and it joined the nascent kingdom of Poland. In the Middle-East both France and Britain created mandates for themselves while an Arab kingdom was founded which was nominally tied to the Ottoman Empire. This state of affairs would rapidly change however with the Habsburg Empire being the first piece to fall, hurdling Europe towards an other devastating war."

This is my favourite style of map. Very well executed.

Regards,

Northstar

1653039883265.png

The previous map but with the planned states of Westphalia, North Rhine, Weser-Ems, Brunswick/Eastphalia, Franconia (based on a vote in the 90s that was simply ignored) as well as the Federal State of Baden remaining independent from the Southwest state (The majority of Baden voted against unification, but it was ignored).

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.