Status
Not open for further replies.
While I've been making ALOT of demographic maps for my current mini-TL map series, this is the only new one that's ready.

A map showing the Population of the Sixty States of the United States of America in 'With Liberty and Equality';

Population of the United States by State (WLaE).png

Notes:

1. There are five states with populations exceeding 20 million, San Angeles (28.7), Texas (25.2), New York (23.7), California (22.5) and Florida (20.2).
2. There are five states with populations under one million, Virgin Islands (394,357), the Bahamas (532,641), Vermont (731,520), Pacifica (788,621) and New Columbia (924,102).
3. The most population is San Angeles with 28,765,321, while the least populous is the Virgin Islands with 394,357.

A map in which China and Rome have opposite histories, so China falls apart and develops into different countries, and Rome remains united.
View attachment 289018

Parts of this bug me, like the very squiggly borders in the sahara and the (inevitable) disparities in population (ie, empty western sahara VS dense vietnam).

That said, this is amazing work! You've managed to make some really neat parallels here and the attention to detail really comes through. Trying to make x-as-y maps like this can be a massive headache as you try to figure out what goes where (and imperfect parallels are an inevitability), but you've had an admirable whack at the idea here.

Great job, man!!!

While I've been making ALOT of demographic maps for my current mini-TL map series, this is the only new one that's ready.

A map showing the Population of the Sixty States of the United States of America in 'With Liberty and Equality';

View attachment 289060

Notes:

1. There are five states with populations exceeding 20 million, San Angeles (28.7), Texas (25.2), New York (23.7), California (22.5) and Florida (20.2).
2. There are five states with populations under one million, Virgin Islands (394,357), the Bahamas (532,641), Vermont (731,520), Pacifica (788,621) and New Columbia (924,102).
3. The most population is San Angeles with 28,765,321, while the least populous is the Virgin Islands with 394,357.

I'm guessing LA is just massive because there's not going to be that many other people in the state?

That Utahn borderrrrrrrr!

Xdn8EI.jpg

Even for members of Congress no longer so concerned about the Mormons, there remained a geographic factor favoring the annexation of this corner to Wyoming. It is virtually walled off from Utah by the Uinta Mountains. (Figure 163) Had it remained the northeast corner of Utah, access to this pocket would have been difficult for state authorities, whereas access for Wyoming was wide open.

Excerpt from How the States Got Their Shapes

Even for members of Congress no longer so concerned about the Mormons, there remained a geographic factor favoring the annexation of this corner to Wyoming. It is virtually walled off from Utah by the Uinta Mountains. (Figure 163) Had it remained the northeast corner of Utah, access to this pocket would have been difficult for state authorities, whereas access for Wyoming was wide open.

TIFL

Xdn8EI.jpg

Didn't stop California from having a mountain range running through it. Or Washington. Or Montana.

After World War 2, the Soviet Union annexed Finland, Poland, the Baltic states and Moldavia. Due to Soviet troops reaching further west than in real life, Stalin could get away with large concessions both direct and indirect. Poland was shifted west at the expense of Germany, although they go to keep Lwów and Germany kept Silesia west of the Oder. The Polish Government then "voluntarily" voted to become a Republic in the USSR. Finland was outright annexed (and merged with the Karelo-Finnish SSR) as payment for the Winter War. Port Arthur (Primorsk) was added to Russia as a fleet base. As were Königsberg and Åland, renamed Kaliningrad and Kuznetsov, respectively. Norway, Sweden, East Germany, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Yugoslavia, Albania, Romania, Bulgaria, Mongolia, Manchuria and North Korea were all made Soviet puppets. Meanwhile to safeguard Caucasus, parts of northwestern Turkey are added to Georgia and Armenia althought Turkey retains its sovereignty.

Map is showing the Soviet Union as it stands in 1950.

a_very_large_soviet_union_by_1blomma-dajal4j.jpg

Deviantart link

After World War 2, the Soviet Union annexed Finland, Poland, the Baltic states and Moldavia. Due to Soviet troops reaching further west than in real life, Stalin could get away with large concessions both direct and indirect. Poland was shifted west at the expense of Germany, although they go to keep Lwów and Germany kept Silesia west of the Oder. The Polish Government then "voluntarily" voted to become a Republic in the USSR. Finland was outright annexed (and merged with the Karelo-Finnish SSR) as payment for the Winter War. Port Arthur (Primorsk) was added to Russia as a fleet base. As were Königsberg and Åland, renamed Kaliningrad and Kuznetsov, respectively. Norway, Sweden, East Germany, Czechoslovakia, Hungary, Yugoslavia, Albania, Romania, Bulgaria, Mongolia, Manchuria and North Korea were all made Soviet puppets. Meanwhile to safeguard Caucasus, parts of northwestern Turkey are added to Georgia and Armenia althought Turkey retains its sovereignty.

Map is showing the Soviet Union as it stands in 1950.
It's so beautiful!

I wonder how this map could have change history....
The black sea is firstly dry and secondly an Island on the west side of Europe.
(Plus, OTL Paris is a large lake)

20160928 QE.png

This strikes the perfect balance of "It looks so convergent!" and "But yet it's not..."

...Was there a South Amogadan Dreadnought Race?

Thanks! I'd actually never heard of the South American Dreadnought Race before today, but ITLL there was probably something similar. "Brazil", like the "USA", took longer to spread inland than OTL because of the higher mountains on the west coast, so early Brazil probably focused more on the ocean.

The Philippines as the UK? That's a new one.

The Uk wound up in the Philippines because Japan would have put it too close to "Russia". I tried to make southern China=Western Europe, and Northern China=Eastern Europe+Turkey

Parts of this bug me, like the very squiggly borders in the sahara and the (inevitable) disparities in population (ie, empty western sahara VS dense vietnam).

That said, this is amazing work! You've managed to make some really neat parallels here and the attention to detail really comes through. Trying to make x-as-y maps like this can be a massive headache as you try to figure out what goes where (and imperfect parallels are an inevitability), but you've had an admirable whack at the idea here.

Great job, man!!!

Thanks!!! The squiggles in the Sahara are me trying to follow mountain ranges, which probably isn't the best but whatever. Population is a big issue, but also something that has to be ignored to make parallelism.

Status
Not open for further replies.