Billboard Hot 100 Charts for September 1992 [TOP 10]

Week of September 5, 1992
[1]
Rank (Previous Week Rank), Song, Artist, Album, Peak
  1. (1) End Of The Road, Boys II Men, Boomerang (soundtrack), 1
  2. (2) Baby-Baby-Baby, TLC, Ooooooohhh… On the TLC Tip, 2
  3. (6) Humpin’ Around, Bobby Brown, Bobby, 3
  4. (3) November Rain, Guns N’ Roses, Use Your Illusion I, 3
  5. (4) This Used To Be My Playground, Madonna, A League of Their Own (soundtrack), 1
  6. (11) Move This, Technotronic (feat. Ya Kid K), The Greatest Hits, 6
  7. (13) The Yodel Song, Nirvana, The Ren & Stimpy Show (soundtrack), 1
  8. (9) Stay, Shakespear’s Sister, Hormonally Yours, 4
  9. (5) Baby Got Back, Sir Mix-A-Lot, Mack Daddy, 1
  10. (15) Jump Around, House of Pain, House of Pain, 3

Week of September 12, 1992 [2]
  1. (7) The Yodel Song, Nirvana, The Ren & Stimpy Show (soundtrack), 1
  2. (1) End Of The Road, Boys II Men, Boomerang (soundtrack), 1
  3. (3) Humpin’ Around, Bobby Brown, Bobby, 3
  4. (2) Baby-Baby-Baby, TLC, Ooooooohhh… On the TLC Tip, 2
  5. (10) Jump Around, House of Pain, House of Pain, 3
  6. (8) Stay, Shakespear’s Sister, Hormonally Yours, 4
  7. (14) Sometimes Love Just Ain’t Enough, Patty Smyth & Don Henley, Patty Smith, 2
  8. (4) November Rain, Guns N’ Roses, Use Your Illusion I, 3
  9. (12) Just Another Day, Jon Secada, Jon Secada, 6
  10. (6) Move This, Technotronic (feat. Ya Kid K), The Greatest Hits, 6

Week of September 19, 1992 [3]
  1. (1) The Yodel Song, Nirvana, The Ren & Stimpy Show (soundtrack), 1
  2. (2) End Of The Road, Boys II Men, Boomerang (soundtrack), 1
  4. (8) Stay, Shakespear’s Sister, Hormonally Yours, 4
  5. (5) Jump Around, House of Pain, House of Pain, 3
  6. (7) Sometimes Love Just Ain’t Enough, Patty Smyth & Don Henley, Patty Smith, 3
  7. (4) Baby-Baby-Baby, TLC, Ooooooohhh… On the TLC Tip, 2
  8. (9) Just Another Day, Jon Secada, Jon Secada, 6
  9. (12) The One, Elton John, The One, 9
  10. (16) She’s Playing Hard To Get, Hi-Five, Keep It Goin’ On, 5

Week of September 26, 1992 [4]
  4. (5) Jump Around, House of Pain, House of Pain, 3
  5. (4) Stay, Shakespear’s Sister, Hormonally Yours, 4
  6. (6) Sometimes Love Just Ain’t Enough, Patty Smyth & Don Henley, Patty Smith, 3
  7. (9) Just Another Day, Jon Secada, Jon Secada, 6
  8. (10) She’s Playing Hard To Get, Hi-Five, Keep It Goin’ On, 5
  9. (12) Please Don’t Go, KWS, KWS, 7
  10. (7) Baby-Baby-Baby, TLC, Ooooooohhh… On the TLC Tip, 2

[1] OK, let’s break this down. The week before, The Yodel Song was released after the roaring success of Yodelin’ Yaks. Right now, it has been soaring like a rocket to the top of American pop charts. But on the week of September 5, the top position is still held by OTL’s big hit of Fall 1992: End Of The Road by Boys II Men. Further down, you got Guns N’ Roses’ November Rain, Madonna’s song from A League of Their Own, the (in)famous Baby Got Back as it leaves the Top 10, and the hip-hop classic Jump Around.

[2] And there you have it folks - The Yodel Song takes the number one position. Though End of the Road holds the line at number 2. Looks like some listeners to November Rain have also tuned in to The Yodel Song since November Rain is falling off quicker than OTL.

[3] The Yodel Song and End Of The Road are totally dominating the top positions. Meanwhile TLC can’t catch a break as Baby-Baby-Baby - previously Number 2 when The Yodel Song was released - plummets to number 7. Jump Around meanwhile is still catching up. Elton John also has a single from his newest album as well, though it falls back out of the Top 10 afterwards.

[4] Now Baby-Baby-Baby is at Number 10! As Yodel and Road still rock the charts, it looks as if Humpin’ Around by Bobby Brown is the next song to fall as Jump Around sneaks up on it like Jaws. Just Another Day by Jon Secada is still gaining steam, and a new entry from KWS has entered the Top 10.

Last edited:
Billboard Hot 100 Charts for September 1992 [TOP 40]

[1]
  5. (4) This Used To Be My Playground, Madonna, A League of Their Own (soundtrack), 1

7. (14) Sometimes Love Just Ain’t Enough, Patty Smyth & Don Henley, Patty Smith, 3

6. (7) Sometimes Love Just Ain’t Enough, Patty Smyth & Don Henley, Patty Smith, 3
  10. (16) She’s Playing Hard To Get, Hi-Five, Keep It Goin’ On, 8

6. (6) Sometimes Love Just Ain’t Enough, Patty Smyth & Don Henley, Patty Smith, 3
  8. (10) She’s Playing Hard To Get, Hi-Five, Keep It Goin’ On, 8
  9. (12) Please Don’t Go, KWS, KWS, 10

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

[1] OK, let’s break this down. The week before, The Yodel Song was released after the roaring success of Yodelin’ Yaks. Right now, it has been soaring like a rocket to the top of American pop charts. But on the week of September 5, the top position is still held by OTL’s big hit of Fall 1992: End Of The Road by Boys II Men. Further down, you got Guns N’ Roses’ November Rain, Madonna’s song from A League of Their Own, the (in)famous Baby Got Back as it leaves the Top 10, and the hip-hop classic Jump Around.

[2] And there you have it folks - The Yodel Song takes the number one position. Though End of the Road holds the line at number 2. Looks like some listeners to November Rain have also tuned in to The Yodel Song since November Rain is falling off quicker than OTL.

[3] The Yodel Song and End Of The Road are totally dominating the top positions. Meanwhile TLC can’t catch a break as Baby-Baby-Baby - previously Number 2 when The Yodel Song was released - plummets to number 7. Jump Around meanwhile is still catching up. Elton John also has a single from his newest album as well, though it falls back out of the Top 10 afterwards.

[4] Now Baby-Baby-Baby is at Number 10! As Yodel and Road still rock the charts, it looks as if Humpin’ Around by Bobby Brown is the next song to fall as Jump Around sneaks up on it like Jaws. Just Another Day by Jon Secada is still gaining steam, and a new entry from KWS has entered the Top 10.
Cool!

And I like End of the Road by Boyz II Men.

Just three more weeks and Kurt will regret he even wrote that song to begin with
He even at times regretted the overuse and commercialization of smells like teen spirit (especially as he realize the name was the same one from a deodorant) and hated it that one was pushed over the rest of nevermind... Kurt was like that
True. Kurt needs a stabilizing influence.

We can talk about this more in the PMs if you want @Nivek

Thanks!
And I like End of the Road by Boyz II Men.
I personally haven’t heard of it. Maybe I have but forgot.

But considering that Road was Boys II Men’s breakthrough song IOTL after multiple other songs didn’t reach the top, the fact that The Yodel Song overshadows it after 3 weeks may reduce the group’s popularity. To the point where the collaboration with Mariah Carey “One Sweet Day” might be butterflied.

You're welcome.
I personally haven’t heard of it. Maybe I have but forgot.

But considering that Road was Boys II Men’s breakthrough song IOTL after multiple other songs didn’t reach the top, the fact that The Yodel Song overshadows it after 3 weeks may reduce the group’s popularity. To the point where the collaboration with Mariah Carey “One Sweet Day” might be butterflied.
Well, here you go!
Will do!

After I say something on the PM.

Billboard Hot 100 Charts for September 1992 [TOP 40]

[1]

7. (14) Sometimes Love Just Ain’t Enough, Patty Smyth & Don Henley, Patty Smith, 3

10. (16) She’s Playing Hard To Get, Hi-Five, Keep It Goin’ On, 8

8. (10) She’s Playing Hard To Get, Hi-Five, Keep It Goin’ On, 8
  9. (12) Please Don’t Go, KWS, KWS, 10

——————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————————

Jeez, I can only imagine how annoying the Yodel Song could get, unable to escape it. Even if you avoid it on the radio, someone riding by has it blaring with the bass turned all the way up for the whole neighborhood to hear. Your friends keep playing it at parties. Your brother and new sister-in-law dance to it at their wedding. A truly hellish time for the unenjoyers of the Yodel Song

Jeez, I can only imagine how annoying the Yodel Song could get, unable to escape it. Even if you avoid it on the radio, someone riding by has it blaring with the bass turned all the way up for the whole neighborhood to hear. Your friends keep playing it at parties. Your brother and new sister-in-law dance to it at their wedding. A truly hellish time for the unenjoyers of the Yodel Song
Exactly...............

"The ratings for Yodelin’ Yaks pulled in an astonishing 15.4 million viewers - the highest in the network’s history,” she explained. “Dear god,” Scannell answered, “that’s even higher than Hey Dude: The Last Dance.”[5]
[5] That program was the actual highest rated program in Nick’s history at that point IOTL.
I didn't clock this the first time I read through this chapter, but 15.4 million viewers seems unrealistically high. According to Wikipedia, Ren and Stimpy topped out at around 2.3 million for one episode. Most of the episodes hover around 1 million viewers though. And from this article: "Since the network began primetime programming for children in September of 1996, more than 2.5 million children tune in each night, more than any competitor." To jump to 15.4 million viewers 4 years earlier, even accounting for Nirvana's popularity, just seems borderline ASB if I'm being honest. 15.4 million viewers would mean an increase of 6 million!! people watching compared to Nevermind's 9.4 million US album sales (as of 2016). I can't find any information pertaining to Nickelodeon subscriber numbers for the 1990s, which would help give a better idea of what is even possible regarding number of viewers for any given program. But 6 million more people watching Yodelin Yaks than Nevermind's lifetime US sales seems...impossible? I hate using that term for alt history but I am having a tough time rationalizing the number provided. Here's the last 3 record breakers for most watched cable tv episode: 2014 The Walking Dead season 5 premiere (17.3 million), 2007 High School Musical 2 (17.2 million), and 2001 Crossfire Trail premiere (12.5 million). Is it even possible to beat that by 3 million nearly a decade earlier? If Ren and Stimpy were airing on one of the broadcast networks, this would be a very different story and I wouldn't have thought twice about the 15.4 number. But cable television is just a different ball game.

I also straight up can't find anything about Hey Dude: The Last Dance. None of the episodes are named "The Last Dance" according to Wikipedia. Google isn't showing anything about a tv movie under that name either which is what I assumed it was. I'm curious what number you have for how many viewers watched the program, as Im sure it helped inform the number for Yodelin Yaks.

I apologize for this diatribe about a relatively insignificant part of an overall great timeline. I hope it comes across right, I'm not trying to be a dick and I'm worried I've just come across as one. I'm sure you had reasons for the number you came up with. I guess I'm just curious what they were

I’d imagine that ITTL, instead of Smells Like Teen Spirit - The Yodel Song would be Nirvana’s most well known song.

And yes, it will have an effect on Kurt Cobain. But to give you a hint - it doesn’t involve an earlier death.
I didn't clock this the first time I read through this chapter, but 15.4 million viewers seems unrealistically high. According to Wikipedia, Ren and Stimpy topped out at around 2.3 million for one episode. Most of the episodes hover around 1 million viewers though. And from this article: "Since the network began primetime programming for children in September of 1996, more than 2.5 million children tune in each night, more than any competitor." To jump to 15.4 million viewers 4 years earlier, even accounting for Nirvana's popularity, just seems borderline ASB if I'm being honest. 15.4 million viewers would mean an increase of 6 million!! people watching compared to Nevermind's 9.4 million US album sales (as of 2016). I can't find any information pertaining to Nickelodeon subscriber numbers for the 1990s, which would help give a better idea of what is even possible regarding number of viewers for any given program. But 6 million more people watching Yodelin Yaks than Nevermind's lifetime US sales seems...impossible? I hate using that term for alt history but I am having a tough time rationalizing the number provided. Here's the last 3 record breakers for most watched cable tv episode: 2014 The Walking Dead season 5 premiere (17.3 million), 2007 High School Musical 2 (17.2 million), and 2001 Crossfire Trail premiere (12.5 million). Is it even possible to beat that by 3 million nearly a decade earlier? If Ren and Stimpy were airing on one of the broadcast networks, this would be a very different story and I wouldn't have thought twice about the 15.4 number. But cable television is just a different ball game.
Ooohhhhhhhhhh……..

Perhaps 3-8 million is a more appropriate number?

I’ll add a reader’s addendum at the bottom
I also straight up can't find anything about Hey Dude: The Last Dance. None of the episodes are named "The Last Dance" according to Wikipedia. Google isn't showing anything about a tv movie under that name either which is what I assumed it was. I'm curious what number you have for how many viewers watched the program, as Im sure it helped inform the number for Yodelin Yaks.
OK, I confess.

I was using ChatGPT to answer a question on “what was the highest rated program to air on Nick in 1992?”

I will do more thorough research and try not to use ChatGPT for historical questions next time.

I have used ChatGPT for the writing, but I have limited myself on its use by rewording and revising what it says so that it’s like - 80% different from what it originally spat out.

My apologies.
I apologize for this diatribe about a relatively insignificant part of an overall great timeline. I hope it comes across right, I'm not trying to be a dick and I'm worried I've just come across as one. I'm sure you had reasons for the number you came up with. I guess I'm just curious what they were
It was just me not having available sources on what was the average ratings a TV program on cable received in 1992.

And your totally reasonable in your criticisms. I will add addendums at the bottom of the erroneous pages to keep the flow even. We all make mistakes. Heck, you had to redo your Star Wars timeline twice if I’m not mistaken.

I could really use some better historical sources. Do you recommend any?

If so, thanks for the help!

was using ChatGPT to answer a question on “what was the highest rated program to air on Nick in 1992?”

I will do more thorough research and try not to use ChatGPT for historical questions next time.
That explains a lot, never use that bs machine again,use bing

HSM is lame........
Funnily enough, I remember the 2007 premiere of HSM 2 incredibly well because I attended a local premiere party. I don't remember who put it on or why, but it was huge.

I’d imagine that ITTL, instead of Smells Like Teen Spirit - The Yodel Song would be Nirvana’s most well known song.

And yes, it will have an effect on Kurt Cobain. But to give you a hint - it doesn’t involve an earlier death.
I think within the zeitgeist of the 90s that is certainly possible, with how you've written things thus far. Longer term I wonder how much the song would be viewed as a novelty? Millennials flabbergasted the zoomers haven't heard The Yodel Song, that sorta thing, if that makes sense. It's sometimes hard to comprehend the reach a song like Smells Like Teen Spirit had, I mean it is still charting on the Billboard Global 200 to this day.

I'm glad to hear it doesn't include an earlier death, that would have felt a little uninspired to be honest.
Ooohhhhhhhhhh……..

Perhaps 3-8 million is a more appropriate number?

I’ll add a reader’s addendum at the bottom
In my opinion somewhere around 5 to 7 million viewers would be more than enough to be a really big deal for network executives. You're beating most live sports programming with that, which is huge. That is based on Nickoleoden doing a strong marketing push to capitalize on Nirvana's appearance, as I assume the network would (taking advantage of its sister networks like MTV to run ads, for example).
OK, I confess.

I was using ChatGPT to answer a question on “what was the highest rated program to air on Nick in 1992?”

I have used ChatGPT for the writing, but I have limited myself on its use by rewording and revising what it says so that it’s like - 80% different from what it originally spat out.

My apologies.
No need to apologize, that's perfectly understandable. I had to feed ChatGPT so many prompts to get something remotely usable for a chapter, I decided it just wasn't really worth the struggle lol. There doesn't seem to be a lot of resources for viewership of early 90s Nickelodeon programs, so it doesn't surprise me ChatGPT spat out nonsense lmao 🤣

And your totally reasonable in your criticisms. I will add addendums at the bottom of the erroneous pages to keep the flow even. We all make mistakes. Heck, you had to redo your Star Wars timeline twice if I’m not mistaken.
We do indeed. 🤣🤣🤣🤣 I'm not sure the first time counts as a redo tho cause it's from 2016 and I barely posted any updates 😭

I could really use some better historical sources. Do you recommend any?

If so, thanks for the help!
This should hopefully help!