October 1992 Music Charts
Billboard Hot 100 Charts for October 1992 [TOP 10]

Week of October 3, 1992
[1]
Rank (Previous Week Rank), Song, Artist, Album, Peak
  1. (1) The Yodel Song, Nirvana, The Ren & Stimpy Show (soundtrack), 1
  2. (6) Sometimes Love Just Ain’t Enough, Patty Smyth & Don Henley, Patty Smith, 2
  3. (4) Jump Around, House of Pain, House of Pain, 3
  4. (2) End Of The Road, Boys II Men, Boomerang (soundtrack), 1
  5. (3) Humpin’ Around, Bobby Brown, Bobby, 3
  6. (7) Just Another Day, Jon Secada, Jon Secada, 6
  7. (8) She’s Playing Hard To Get, Hi-Five, Keep It Goin’ On, 5
  8. (9) Please Don’t Go, KWS, KWS, 7
  9. (5) Stay, Shakespear’s Sister, Hormonally Yours, 4
  10. (11) Do I Have To Say The Words?, Bryan Adams, Waking Up the Neighbours, 10

Week of October 10, 1992 [2]
  2. (2) Sometimes Love Just Ain’t Enough, Patty Smyth & Don Henley, Patty Smith, 2
  3. (3) Jump Around, House of Pain, House of Pain, 3
  4. (4) End Of The Road, Boys II Men, Boomerang (soundtrack), 1
  5. (7) She’s Playing Hard To Get, Hi-Five, Keep It Goin’ On, 5
  6. (6) Just Another Day, Jon Secada, Jon Secada, 6
  7. (8) Please Don’t Go, KWS, KWS, 7
  8. (5) Humpin’ Around, Bobby Brown, Bobby, 3
  9. (13) People Everyday, Arrested Development, 3 Years, 5 Months & 2 Days in the Life Of…, 8
  10. (19) I’d Die Without You, P.M. Dawn, Boomerang (soundtrack), 2

Week of October 17, 1992 [3]
  2. (2) Sometimes Love Just Ain’t Enough, Patty Smyth & Don Henley, Patty Smith, 2
  3. (3) Jump Around, House of Pain, House of Pain, 3
  4. (4) End Of The Road, Boys II Men, Boomerang (soundtrack), 1
  5. (5) She’s Playing Hard To Get, Hi-Five, Keep It Goin’ On, 5
  6. (10) I’d Die Without You, P.M. Dawn, Boomerang (soundtrack), 2
  7. (32) How Do You Talk to an Angel, The Heights, The Heights (Music from the Television Show), 3
  8. (9) People Everyday, Arrested Development, 3 Years, 5 Months & 2 Days in the Life Of…, 8
  9. (NEW) Erotica, Madonna, Erotica, 4
  10. (13) Free Your Mind, En Vogue, Funky Divas, 8

Week of October 24, 1992 [4]
  3. (6) I’d Die Without You, P.M. Dawn, Boomerang (soundtrack), 2
  4. (9) Erotica, Madonna, Erotica, 4
  5. (7) How Do You Talk to an Angel, The Heights, The Heights (Music from the Television Show), 3
  6. (3) Jump Around, House of Pain, House of Pain, 3
  7. (5) She’s Playing Hard To Get, Hi-Five, Keep It Goin’ On, 5
  8. (8) People Everyday, Arrested Development, 3 Years, 5 Months & 2 Days in the Life Of…, 8
  9. (10) Free Your Mind, En Vogue, Funky Divas, 8
  10. (4) End Of The Road, Boys II Men, Boomerang (soundtrack), 1

Week of October 31, 1992 [5]
  3. (3) I’d Die Without You, P.M. Dawn, Boomerang (soundtrack), 2
  4. (7) How Do You Talk to an Angel, The Heights, The Heights (Music from the Television Show), 3
  5. (4) Erotica, Madonna, Erotica, 4
  6. (3) Jump Around, House of Pain, House of Pain, 3
  7. (7) She’s Playing Hard To Get, Hi-Five, Keep It Goin’ On, 5
  8. (9) Free Your Mind, En Vogue, Funky Divas, 8
  9. (16) Rhythm Is A Dancer, Snap!, The Madman’s Return, 6
  10. (8) People Everyday, Arrested Development, 3 Years, 5 Months & 2 Days in the Life Of…, 8

[1] End Of The Road has fallen down to number 4 as Patty Smith’s (whom I thought she was Patti Smith at first glance) Sometimes Love Just Ain’t Enough. Jump Around by House of Pain has just knocked off Humpin’ Around from the number 3 spot. Just Another Day has so far held the line at number 6. Oh, and Bryan Adams’ Do I Have To Say The Words? appears on the Top 10 for one hot minute.

[2] Yodel, Sometimes Love, Jump Around, and Road have held the line at the top 4 spots for this week. Meanwhile, two new songs - People Everyday and I’d Die Without You - have emerged at the ninth and tenth spots respectively. Not much else to say though.

[3] Yodel, Sometimes Love, Jump Around, and Road have held the line at the top 4 spots for this week - again. Just Another Day, Please Don’t Go, and Humpin’ Around have all but vanished from the Top 10. Oddly, a theme song from a TV show - and a short-lived one at that - has entered the Top 10. Then again, that’s just OTL right there. Madonna also has her hot new song Erotica debut at number 9 ITTL.

[4] Well it looks like I’d Die Without You and Erotica have broken through to the top four - while Jump Around and End Of The Road have stalled to 6th and 10th place respectively. Not much else to say though.

[5] And End Of The Road has vanished from the Top 10 completely. Perhaps being almost entirely in The Yodel Song’s shadow ITTL has caused it to drop off earlier than OTL. I’d Die Without You seems to be drawing closer - though there’s talk that might not be the case - what with a certain pop star movie soundtrack said to make a huge splash on the charts this November…..

Last edited:
(1) The Yodel Song, Nirvana, The Ren & Stimpy Show (soundtrack), 1
Kurt: Dave,Kris,did I create a monster?.
Dave and Kris too busy counting money: no Kurt, they love us, that's why is so popular,

'novoselic approach kurt' : Kurt that was a popular cable show and Eric told it would happen, it will die for Christmas.

November 1992 Music Charts
Billboard Hot 100 Charts for November 1992 [TOP 10]

Week of November 7, 1992
[1]
  2. (3) I’d Die Without You, P.M. Dawn, Boomerang (soundtrack), 2
  3. (4) How Do You Talk to an Angel, The Heights, The Heights (Music from the Television Show), 3
  4. (2) Sometimes Love Just Ain’t Enough, Patty Smyth & Don Henley, Patty Smith, 2
  5. (4) Erotica, Madonna, Erotica, 4
  6. (6) Jump Around, House of Pain, House of Pain, 3
  7. (9) Rhythm Is A Dancer, Snap!, The Madman’s Return, 6
  8. (18) Rump Shaker, Wreckx-N-Effect, Hard or Smooth, 4
  9. (11) Real Love, Mary J. Blige, What’s the 411?, 8
  10. (14) What About Your Friends, TLC, Ooooooohhh… On the TLC Tip, 10

Week of November 14, 1992 [2]
  2. (2) I’d Die Without You, P.M. Dawn, Boomerang (soundtrack), 2
  3. (3) How Do You Talk to an Angel, The Heights, The Heights (Music from the Television Show), 3
  4. (12) If I Ever Fall In Love, Shai, …If I Ever Fall In Love, 2
  5. (4) Sometimes Love Just Ain’t Enough, Patty Smyth & Don Henley, Patty Smith, 2
  6. (8) Rump Shaker, Wreckx-N-Effect, Hard or Smooth, 4
  7. (7) Rhythm Is A Dancer, Snap!, The Madman’s Return, 6
  8. (9) Real Love, Mary J. Blige, What’s the 411?, 8
  9. (5) Erotica, Madonna, Erotica, 4
  10. (6) Jump Around, House of Pain, House of Pain, 3

Week of November 21, 1992 [3]
  2. (4) If I Ever Fall In Love, Shai, …If I Ever Fall In Love, 2
  3. (2) I’d Die Without You, P.M. Dawn, Boomerang (soundtrack), 2
  4. (3) How Do You Talk to an Angel, The Heights, The Heights (Music from the Television Show), 3
  5. (6) Rump Shaker, Wreckx-N-Effect, Hard or Smooth, 4
  6. (7) Rhythm Is A Dancer, Snap!, The Madman’s Return, 6
  7. (5) Sometimes Love Just Ain’t Enough, Patty Smyth & Don Henley, Patty Smith, 2
  8. (8) Real Love, Mary J. Blige, What’s the 411?, 8
  9. (9) Erotica, Madonna, Erotica, 4
  10. (40) I Will Always Love You, Whitney Houston, The Bodyguard: Original Soundtrack Album, 1

Week of November 28, 1992 [4]
  2. (10) I Will Always Love You, Whitney Houston, The Bodyguard: Original Soundtrack Album, 1
  3. (2) If I Ever Fall In Love, Shai, …If I Ever Fall In Love, 2
  4. (5) Rump Shaker, Wreckx-N-Effect, Hard or Smooth, 4
  5. (3) I’d Die Without You, P.M. Dawn, Boomerang (soundtrack), 2
  6. (7) Rhythm Is A Dancer, Snap!, The Madman’s Return, 6
  7. (4) How Do You Talk to an Angel, The Heights, The Heights (Music from the Television Show), 3
  8. (14) Love Is On the Way, Saigon Kick, The Lizard, 8
  9. (8) Real Love, Mary J. Blige, What’s the 411?, 8
  10. (13) Layla, Eric Clapton, Unplugged, 10

[1] TLC strikes back, with a vengeance! Though not for long. Other than that, new songs such as Rump Shaker and Real Love have appeared on the charts this week, and will continue to be a prominent part of the Top 10 throughout the month.

[2] How Do You Talk to an Angel - which IOTL was number 1 for two weeks in November 1992 - is held off from the top spot by the dominance created by I’d Die Without You and of course, The Yodel Song.

[3] Much like what happened to Baby-Baby-Baby, Humpin’ Around, and End Of The Road, How Do You Talk to an Angel begins to lose momentum due to charting in the shadow of The Yodel Song. Since it only charted briefly and is from a failed TV show on FOX, this seems plausible.

[4] As The Yodel Song is in its final week in the number 1 position, a certain pop song from a movie starring Kevin Costner and you-know-who is right about to take its place - even if its momentum is only slightly slowed by the competition. Meanwhile, Eric Clapton’s 1992 acoustic version of Layla appears in the number 10 spot ITTL. Personally I prefer the pre-POD Derek and the Dominoes version even if Clapton is a bit of a nutcase - but I digress, as this is a TL about the 90s not the 70s.

Last edited:
Headlines for November 1992
Clinton Wins The 1992 Election
Excerpt from Reuters, 4 November 1992
[1]

Democratic Candidate Bill Clinton has managed to squeak in a victory in the most-recent United States presidential election against Independent Candidate Ross Perot and Incumbent Republican President George H. W. Bush. Although President Bush had once held one of the highest recorded approval ratings with his muscular response to the Persian Gulf crisis, pundits claim that those approval ratings have fallen off chiefly due to his administration’s lackluster handling of the recent economic downturn, and a primary challenge from Pat Buchanan over a perceived breaking of his “no new taxes” promise when first elected. President Bush and Candidate Ross Perot have concieded……

Philips Strikes Deal With Nintendo
Excerpt from Electronic Gaming Monthly, 16 November 1992
[2]

After weeks of low sales and a catastrophic attempt at making a splash on the video game market with Yodel Boys, Philips has pulled the plug on its ill-fated CD-i Multiplayer system. A Philips spokesperson has claimed that all unsold consoles and games will be recalled from stores.

With that, Philips has reached an agreement with video game giant Nintendo to resume work on the upcoming Super Nintendo CD-ROM add-on. Nintendo CEO Hiroshi Yamauchi has claimed that the upcoming SNES-CD will be publically unveiled at the Winter 1993 CES for a late 1993 release.

Venezuelan President Removed From Power, Government Dissolved
Excerpt from BBC, 27 November 1992
[3]

Venezuelan President Carlos Andrés Pérez has been arrested by the Armed Forces of Venezuela in a military coup. The new government led by Hugo Chávez - previously a rising political star after the failed coup attempt in February - announced the whole sale nationalization of key industries in Venezuela and the dissolution of the government. In his inaugural televised speech, Chávez also called out American imperialism and blamed the dire economic situation of the country as a CIA plot to seize the country’s valuable oil resources. The coup has been condemned by the United States…

[1] Obviously OTL. I thought about making Ross Perot win by having Yodelin’ Yaks somehow causing him to not suspend his campaign, but I could never do that idea justice. Plus @MaskedPickle already did that in A Giant Sucking Sound.

[2] As I’ve said in the Yodel Boys post, Nintendo and Philips almost got the SNES-CD off the ground after the deal with Sony crashed, but Philips kept wanting their own console to succeed. Here, with the Philips CD-i having crashed and burned early on, Philips has no other choice but to partner with Nintendo.

[3] And there’s our first major butterfly for the timeline. IOTL, the November 1992 Venezuelan coup attempt was actually more successful than the February 1992 coup attempt, but still failed as the Venezuelan Government was able to alert the other armed forces through the private TV station Televen. ITTL, the success of The Yodel Song causes the coup plotters to realize the importance of taking control of the media, and thus the coup succeeds. Since Rafael Caldera was generally pro-American as I know, Hugo Chavez comes to power much earlier - illegally.

Last edited:
Philips Strikes Deal With Nintendo
Excerpt from Electronic Gaming Monthly, 16 November 1992
[2]

After weeks of low sales and a catastrophic attempt at making a splash on the video game market with Yodel Boys, Philips has pulled the plug on its ill-fated CD-i Multiplayer system. A Philips spokesperson has claimed that all unsold consoles and games will be recalled from stores.

With that, Philips has reached an agreement with video game giant Nintendo to resume work on the upcoming Super Nintendo CD-ROM add-on. Nintendo CEO Hiroshi Yamauchi has claimed that the upcoming SNES-CD will be publically unveiled at the Winter 1993 CES and 1993 E3 for a late 1993 release.
E3 didn't start until 1995.

BTW guys, as the pace of the TL slows down a bit - the arangement I’m going with starting when I reach the year 1993 is that every month has its own chapter - and there’s a headlines post that accompanies it along with the occasional “Movie Reviews” post and “Top 10” post.

What do you guys think of that?

And what do you guys think of the TL so far, errors aside?

Edit: And faux wikipedia/wikibox as well.

BTW guys, as the pace of the TL slows down a bit - the arangement I’m going with starting when I reach the year 1993 is that every month has its own chapter - and there’s a headlines post that accompanies it along with the occasional “Movie Reviews” post and “Top 10” post.

What do you guys think of that?

And what do you guys think of the TL so far, errors aside?
So far, so good.