Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
Hi Ihagambia, Driftless, Ramp-Rat, Amir, Jlckansas and anyone else pondering the capabilities of the British Spy system in French Indo-China and elsewhere. My Apologies (another apology, sheesh when is this guy going to get it right!) but I thought I'd explained the pitiful state of the British spy network in the Far East. A lack of money invested in the 1930s ensured a good network hadn't been established, most efforts were directed to Europe, while what they did have was amateurish. Pair this with trying to penetrate a Japanese society that was very suspious and aggressive of westerner, and you have almost no Human intelligence. see https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/malaya-what-if.521982/post-24126925

This leaves them with the spies that abound in China, but that is very problematic, with a bewildering set of players, not just Chiang Kai-shek and the Communists, but the Warlords, the den of iniquity that was Shanghai, and dealing with the Triads. They are trying to play catch up, where they can, but its all too little too late.

MWI 41120514 The Defences In Kelantan

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
1941, Friday 05 December:

8th Indian Infantry Brigade HQ was a small collection of buildings which had previously been a school and attached teacher’s residence, now enlarged with additional tents and vehicles. Brigadier Berthold Key sat in his office, the former headmaster's drawing room, with his old friend and mentor, Major General Arthur Barstow, his and the 9th Indian Division’s commanding officer, both with a glass of whisky in hand.

“I must say, Billy old chap, I think you’ve worked wonders with what you have, the brigade looks to have the area well secured. And the way you integrated the two machine gun companies of Middlesex into the beach defences with the Dogras and Frontier Force is to be commended.”

“Well Arthur, if you’re comparing me with Henry Moorhead’s 41st Brigade, then his two battalions in line have to cover 10 miles each, as opposed to the 5 miles my two have, I have two companies of machine guns, where as he has only one, and one of his two battalions is the Second Gurkhas, who are a bloody liability!”

“Yes, Henry and I had a long chat about them. You’re right, they are as green as grass, but we thought they’d be of better use in fixed defence than being asked to have to maneuverer, as the reserve battalion. I’ve got faith in their CO, Woollcombe; they’ve only been here three months, but he’s making massive strides in training them. They’ll be a good battalion, given time. Jimmy Frith’s Baluch will make a much better reserve; they were part of your brigade a year ago, and know everybody. What about your reserve battalion, the Berkshires?”

“I have a company here with the battalion HQ, another back at Kuala Krai, and two companies over the river, one at Tumpet and the other at the Pasir Mas River crossing. But if we’re attacked, I’ll bring them back over, as we agreed before."

“I think I can help you a little with them. I might get another couple of companies of infantry, Malay or Chinese, not sure what yet, but if I do, I’ll put one in Krai, and you can have that Berkshire company back."

“But while we’re speaking of liabilities, Arthur, I must say I’m really worried about that Indian State battalion you’ve given me, the 1st Bn, Hyderabad Regt. I’ve spoken with the CO, Charles Hendrick, and I’m not impressed by their fighting qualities. They are poorly equipped, with no heavy weapons, one Lewis gun per platoon, and have never faced a shot, Charlie is half expecting them to run at the first shot. They are riddled with Indian Nationalists. I’m forbidding them to mingle with any of my own units, or Henry’s, but they’re bound to have some contact, and it's poisonous. I’d like them out as soon as you can. I’d rather put together something ad hoc to defend the two airfields than have them here. I mean, surely Percival must know how bad they are?”

“Ha Billy, you’ve touched a tender spot there, I’m afraid. We have five of these battalions, two of them in Singapore, all guarding airfields, and your concerns are mirrored about the others too. But you see, old chap, it’s all about politics. The Indian States want to be seen supporting the Empire in its hour of need, and we are desperately short of troops. To turn them away would suggest we’re not so desperate as we claim. In addition, there’s also the slap in the face we’d be giving the Nizam if we said we didn’t want his troops. So I’m afraid we’re rather stuck with them, old boy."

“Arthur, how about I disarm them, just use them as coolies then?"

“Now come along Billy, you know we can’t do that. That would be as bad as sending them back. Look, what I’ll do is, this: if the balloon goes up, I’ll pull them out and stick them somewhere else, I’m not known as Bustling Bill for nothing, although God knows where. Anyway, changing the subject, how’s the 88th Field Artillery Regt doing, are they all settling in ok?”

“As green as grass, haven’t got their knees brown yet, moaning about everything, food, accommodation, heat, you name it. But I’m glad to have their guns here, those 25 pounders give us a bit more range. I’ve put one battery down by Kota Bharu airfield, another here in town, partly because they’re not ready to act as a reserve and partly to counter any funny business from the Hyderabadis, if they play up. The third battery is down at Gong Kedah, and I’ve kept the 7th Independent Mountain Btty up near Kuala Krai, as my reserve artillery. Their CO, Maj Scott, knows his business well."

They paused, sipping the whisky before Key continued, “I had Brigadier Allpress up here last week, looking in on his 3rd Indian HAA Regt. We had dinner together. He’s really pleased with them; says they’re turning into a fine unit, just wishes he had more modern guns. The regiment is spread out all over the state, 3-inch guns everywhere, 4 guns here in town, another 6 at both airfields and the last battery is at the rail head in Kuala Krai. They also have four Naval 2-pdr AA guns, two at each airfield. Their CO, Johnny Yale, ex Hong Kong and Singapore Royal Artillery, is an interesting man, has a good grip on whats going on in his unit, trains them well. He has some interesting things to say about Hong Kong, says he was glad to get out, doesn’t fancy their chances."

“Neither do I, Billy. I know Maj Gen Maltby, Chris and I were brigadiers in India. A good steady man, but I’d rather think he’s drawn the short straw by getting Hong Kong, for all the prestige that comes with it. You want to know more, ask Stewart, the Middlesex CO. He can tell you some stories about Hong Kong and what goes on there."

Billy Key swirled the last of his whisky around the glass, and then knocked it back, finishing with a satisfied ah. “Another one, Arthur old chap?”

Arthur Barstow finished his glass, gave a little smile and said, “It would be rude not to, eh! How's that RAF AMES thingy doing, Billy? Park’s made a big fuss about getting it here and installed as soon as possible, got it made a priority to be delivered up here to us, had a train delayed over it even, I’m told."

“Yes, I popped in to see them yesterday. They’re about 800 yards north of the airfield, on the highest piece of ground around here, not that you can notice it much. They’re nicely camouflaged in with the jungle, although those two ruddy great wooden towers they’ve built means it wouldn’t be hard to find them, if you’re close in to the coast, or by any low flying aircraft. I’ve had to devote a whole company down there to defend all that area, along with minefields and wire. Signals have run a couple of lines from it to the airfield, and us here in town; they’ll let us know anything untoward if they spot it."

“Yes, it is rather ridiculous having them right on the coast. Same goes for the airfields, a bloody destroyer could hit the lot if it had a mind for it. They should never have been allowed to build them here. You have to blame that Babington fellow, the one Park’s replaced. He’s the one that thought this was a good idea, and by the time Park’s got here it was already built, utter madness!” Barstow stood up, and walked to the window. A heavy rain was falling outside. “It never stops bloody raining here."

“It’s monsoon season, we’ll get a lot of it, I’m told. So, what's going to happen, Arthur? If this is the Japanese invasion fleet that’s coming, will Gort go for Matador?”

“God only knows, or rather Gort only knows, Billy. It’s a dicey little thing he’s got to make his mind up on: are they coming or is this just posturing? God forbid we find ourselves at war with Japan, and the Americans sit and watch it out."

“Even so, Arthur, Matador would give me a couple of weeks, maybe a month or more if things go well, and every day counts."

“Billy old chap, if it does kick off, and things don’t go well, we’re in a bit of a precarious position: everything comes here down that one single track railway. A bridge destroyed and at a stroke I’ve lost contact with two thirds of my division. And imagine if we have to pull out, it's everyone back down that one single track. It gives me the willies, Billy, and that’s the truth."

Hi alspug, whoa! stop there, RAF conducting night raids, these are Article XV squadrons, with Blenheim's, Battles and a few Hudson's. Not only have they not trained in night flying, daytime is enough to master at the mo, but we're also crossing water, a lot of it. This is serious stuff. There will be some night flying, but I'd be stretching it to conduct major raids on Saigon at night!
Here me out here.

What if, No. 75 Squadron RNZAF was on a war bond selling tour back to New Zealand with their Wellingtons.

They stopped in Singapore to rest and refuel just before the balloon went up and VOILA!! instant night bomber force and the Japanese Nells and Bettys are toast.

Here me out here.

What if, No. 75 Squadron RNZAF was on a war bond selling tour back to New Zealand with their Wellingtons.

They stopped in Singapore to rest and refuel just before the balloon went up and VOILA!! instant night bomber force and the Japanese Nells and Bettys are toast.
One or two crews might be sent on a war bonds tour, possibly with their Wellingtons, but taking a whole Sdn out of Bomber Command, with their A/c as well is , shall we say, highly unlikely. Good try thoiugh!

ut I thought I'd explained the pitiful state of the British spy network in the Far East. A lack of money invested in the 1930s ensured a good network hadn't been established, most efforts were directed to Europe, while what they did have was amateurish. Pair this with trying to penetrate a Japanese society that was very suspious and aggressive of westerner, and you have almost no Human intelligence. see https://www.alternatehistory.com/forum/threads/malaya-what-if.521982/post-24126925

This leaves them with the spies that abound in China, but that is very problematic, with a bewildering set of players, not just Chiang Kai-shek and the Communists, but the Warlords, the den of iniquity that was Shanghai, and dealing with the Triads. They are trying to play catch up, where they can, but its all too little too late.
Ref 'MI6 The History of the Secret Intelligence Service 1909-1949' by Keith Jeffery - Chapter 8 details the shoestring setup in the far east

I can't remember did those green Canadian troops that got deployed to Hong Kong OTL on their way to Singapore or are they being kept in Canada?

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
Here me out here.

Hi Ihagambia, its far too late to fit some Wellingtons in now, but I am looking around for what might be available to transfer in Feb-Mar 42

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
I can't remember did those green Canadian troops that got deployed to Hong Kong OTL on their way to Singapore or are they being kept in Canada?
Hi Kelgar04, no C-Force, they stayed in Canada, but the RCAF is here with some Article XV squadrons, you'll get to know them quite well in time.

Driftless

Donor
Regarding Threadmarks MWI 41120514 The Defences In Kelantan

A good reminder that there are some Commonwealth forces in good position to interdict the Japanese invasion, but those forces are largely very green.

Hi Kelgar04, no C-Force, they stayed in Canada, but the RCAF is here with some Article XV squadrons, you'll get to know them quite well in time.
There must have been some Canadians in Hong Kong, as I remember seeing a monument to a Canadian V.C. recipient., during a visit there, around 10 years ago.

There must have been some Canadians in Hong Kong (...)
The Royal Rifles and the Winnipeg Grenadiers, 1975 men all told. Very green. They got three weeks of training before the extensively combat-experienced Japanese attacked.

It was thought by the Canadian force prior to their arrival and for some time thereafter that their presence would deter the Japanese. Not so. And, the specific timing of the attack on December 8 was a surprise.

Canadian doctrine assumed inactive defense at night, with little likelihood of the Japanese attacking because their forces were thought to not have such skills. Instead, the Japanese regularly attacked at night, and staged units so they could fight whenever they chose through the 24 hour cycle.

The defenders were quickly pushed off the mainland, and the Japanese landed three extensively supported regiments on the islands on the 18th. After only a few days of additional fighting, metropolitan Hong Kong was entirely lost, and the Canadian forces retreated into the nearby hills with few supplies, no heavy weapons, no air support, many of their officers dead, and no prospects of prevailing. The remaining Canadian forces ran out of ammunition and surrendered on Christmas Day, day 17 of the fighting.

(...) I remember seeing a monument to a Canadian V.C. recipient., during a visit there, around 10 years ago.
Company Sergeant-Major John Robert Osborn of the Winnipeg Grenadiers.

The Royal Rifles and the Winnipeg Grenadiers, 1975 men all told. Very green. They got three weeks of training before the extensively combat-experienced Japanese attacked.

It was thought by the Canadian force prior to their arrival and for some time thereafter that their presence would deter the Japanese. Not so. And, the specific timing of the attack on December 8 was a surprise.

Canadian doctrine assumed inactive defense at night, with little likelihood of the Japanese attacking because their forces were thought to not have such skills. Instead, the Japanese regularly attacked at night, and staged units so they could fight whenever they chose through the 24 hour cycle.

The defenders were quickly pushed off the mainland, and the Japanese landed three extensively supported regiments on the islands on the 18th. After only a few days of additional fighting, metropolitan Hong Kong was entirely lost, and the Canadian forces retreated into the nearby hills with few supplies, no heavy weapons, no air support, many of their officers dead, and no prospects of prevailing. The remaining Canadian forces ran out of ammunition and surrendered on Christmas Day, day 17 of the fighting.

Company Sergeant-Major John Robert Osborn of the Winnipeg Grenadiers.
Thanks, the memory lingers, as I have colleagues in the Winnipeg Fire Service, but couldn't recall the details.

Ramp-Rat

Monthly Donor
Major General Arthur Barstow appears to be not only a typical British Indian Army general , very experienced with service in the First World War, and he had also attended the Staff College Camberley in the inter war period. He also appears to be politically astute, realising that causing a fuss over the Indian State battalion is going to be more trouble than it’s worth. Far better to make the best of it, and just get on with doing the best he can to alleviate the problem, by placing them in the position where they can cause the least damage. His division while weak by European standards, and really needs more training, is however far stronger and better equipped than any of the Chinese divisions that the Japanese have faced up until now. Even the best trained and equipped Chinese division, will have been smaller, and lacked the artillery and logistical support that his division enjoys. The Japanese army is in for a shock used as they are to operating against troops with little to no artillery support, and virtually no logistics. We often forget just how weak in comparison to the British forces the Japanese were, and how they had very little reserves in the tank if faced by even weak opposition. While there can be no question that the Japanese will enjoy a measure of success at first, and some of the forces facing them will prove significantly lacking, this is not the Malaya of OTTL, and the most important factor is that the high command is far more robust. And thus able to absorb some initial setbacks without collapsing, and starting a general rout, with failure piling on failure and totally destroying the ability to recover from the initial attack. ITTL the high command is sufficiently robust, and the reserves deep enough that unless the Japanese enjoy complete success in the first few weeks, it is they who will be watching the wheels fall off their machine, as they repeatedly bang their heads against the wall. The reason that the Germans enjoyed such success in the first year of the war, and the Japanese did the same in the first year of their campaign to the south, was their ability to keep their opponents completely out of the loop. This isn’t going to happen in Malaya ITTL, and it’s the Japanese who are going to see their campaign plan fall apart.

RR.

The Japanese army is in for a shock used as they are to operating against troops with little to no artillery support, and virtually no logistics. We often forget just how weak in comparison to the British forces the Japanese were, and how they had very little reserves in the tank if faced by even weak opposition
The Japanese campaign of 1942 in Southeast Asia was literally ‘’the attack of the half mad enemy’’.

A phraise used by DutchRoyal Navy planners during the interbellum when conceiving their defense strategy for the NEI.

The whole offensive plan of the Japanes was extremly audacius, and probably never left the drawing room in a nation ruled by more sensible men.

The whole attack plan was essentially nothing more than a row of domino stones, where the next stone only fell if it was tipped by the prevouis one. If one stone was taken out the following stone would remain standing. This was how the Japanese offensive worked, if one attack failed the next phase of the offensive plan could not proceed. Further the logistics and supplies where as RR said terribel and not on a standard a 1940 era army would start an offensive.

In history books the fact that a Japanese soldier could live of one bowl of rice is often praised, in reality this was nothing but pure neseccity caused by lack of suplies and logistics. It also reflects the complete military ignorace of many historians.

Last edited:
In history books the fact that a Japanese soldier could live of one bowl of rice is often praised.
It's basic military medical sense, not mollycoddling, to feed your soldiers as many calories as on average they're burning. Similarly, they need to be hydrated, to sleep as well as possible, and to be as protected from the local environment as practical.

Every bit of needed energy their bodies have to convert from body fat (or muscle), or unnecessarily expend to manage other stressors, is energy that they don't have available to accomplish the mission you sent them out there to do.

It's stupid to think that soldiers don't need basic physiological support because they're "tough". You don't provide them with enough calories because you love them.

Driftless

Donor
^^^ Combat rations and calories.... Wasn't there a chronic shorrfall in daily caloric intake for US GIs in combat, even with the full use of "C" or "K" rations in periods of sustained fighting? And those field rations were prepared with the idea of high calories per meal. The fact that some meals were so disliked, that GIs would trade out parts, or even dump parts, didn't help their caloric intake.

Lack of calories and key nutrients for longer times certainly contributes to reduced energy and increased suseptibility to some diseases

^^^ Combat rations and calories.... Wasn't there a chronic shorrfall in daily caloric intake for US GIs in combat, even with the full use of "C" or "K" rations in periods of sustained fighting? And those field rations were prepared with the idea of high calories per meal. The fact that some meals were so disliked, that GIs would trade out parts, or even dump parts, didn't help their caloric intake.

Lack of calories and key nutrients for longer times certainly contributes to reduced energy and increased suseptibility to some diseases
I think that the chronic shortfall was more caused by an false assumption prior to start of the campaign. The staff that was responsible for the feeding of the troops assumed troops would be feed by the field kitchens most of the time. C or K rations were only be used as an last resort if the normal field kitchen was not availble. In reality this was reversed due the problems getting supplies forward.

Also during the testing phase at the start of the war, the failed to accurate recreate the demands for the daily caloric intake for troops in combat. The C and K rations only provided enough calories for troops at rest / in barracks.

Last edited:
MWI 41120514a My changes to the historical path

Fatboy Coxy

Monthly Donor
Summary to Date

OK, we’re only ten posts from kick-off, and this is probably a good place to have a review of where we are in this alternate defence of Malaya. I promised months ago that I would post OOBs to help people follow the conflict as it unfolds, but more recently, there have been requests to provide an overview of the changes to the historical path, and my reasonings behind those changes. And that seems a very fair point to me, so here goes.

My POD started with Britain yielding to Japanese pressure to close the Burma Road in July 1940, which had raised great concerns over the defence and security of British interests in the Far East. Adding to the little that was done to improve the defences in the Far East, I had Pound stopping the transfer of the four Rainbow class submarines to the Med, while Dill authorised the expansion of the Malay Regt and the raising of two British officered Chinese regiments, the Singapore (Chinese) Regt and the Hong Kong (Chinese) Regt. Both of these changes tests the plausibility of my timeline. Regarding the submarines, the Royal Navy needed every submarine it could spare for the Med, to stop Italian supplies to North Africa, along with the advancing creep of the Axis in the Eastern Med. The second is more about Britain's underlying concern about the growth of Communism among the Chinese, and fear that Communists might penetrate the British system.

A month later, with Japan moving into Northern French Indo-China, I used the opportunity to highlight the squabbles between the Army and RAF in Malaya, and allude to the poor civil administration, both of which were known, but ignored. In my TL, Churchill is more decisive, replacing the military and civilian leadership except for the Royal Navy. Placing Andrew Caldecott there is somewhat tricky. At the time, he was firefighting in Ceylon, where there was growing nationalism, but I don’t think the move is too much of a stretch. Lord Gort for Brooke-Popham is giving preference to the Army over the RAF, as the Army will be the senior partner in any defence of the Far East for some time. Gort is very much part of the establishment, and politically a reasonable choice. Park is a different thing, a talent, who has fallen foul of RAF politics, and I think I can use that excuse to take him.

The October local commander’s appreciation of what was needed to defend Malaya gave me my next opportunity for changes. Finding aircraft for the RAF is quite hard. The Fairey Battles are very much make do, but they were no longer front line in Europe, and there were a lot of them, so I feel safe sending them, and I’ve retained the Buffalos, while slightly increasing the Blenheims. Reducing the Hong Kong garrison to something more symbolic is often suggested, and I’ve followed that idea. Those forces go to Malaya, as well as a couple of British infantry battalions which should have gone to or stayed in India. That’s a bit naughty: there were already fewer units there than the CoS would have liked for security reasons. Also, at this time the Admiralty floated (do you like the pun) the idea of an American naval squadron being based in Singapore, which Roosevelt slapped down when Churchill mentioned it. In my TL, Churchill really takes this to heart, recognising the USA will not defend British Empire colonies, although at this moment he still retains the hope that the Americans will manage any Japanese aggression.

Next, I have the Singapore Conference in November 1940, where closer cooperation between the British, Dutch and Americans is discussed. I have remained historically true to the American position, as I have hopefully throughout the TL, until the shooting starts, but I have allowed the British a little more leeway in working with the Dutch. So, given Churchill’s appreciation that he will get no help from the Americans in holding Malaya, he has quietly lent leaned on the Dominions to do more voluntarily in whatever way they can. New Zealand really can’t do much, the two Article XV sqns I have are merely recognising the two sqns of fighter they manned historically. I lean towards them finding more aircrew for the FAA, which will now expand by two squadrons, one of Swordfish, the other, a bit later with navalized Buffalos. This is another reach on my part: expanding the FAA was difficult in the early war years, due in part to aircraft numbers. The Australians are able to do better, earmarking the entire 8th Australian Division to Malaya, as opposed to holding back the 23rd Bde, and a few other units, which they did historically. She has also raised two Independent Companies for Malaya, as well as a Medium Artillery Regt, using ex-Hong Kong and Indian guns. And she has contributed more aircrew, allowing extra Article XV squadrons.

South Africa has not provided any forces; her constitution stops them serving outside of Africa, unless they join the British services as individuals. But industrially, she is sending a reasonable amount of war material, including armoured cars. India is able to do a bit more: a second Cavalry Regt is sent, with both regiments to convert to those South African armoured cars. Here I have swapped the 3rd Cavalry for the 5th King Edward VII’s Own Lancers (Probyn’s Horse), and added the 6th Duke of Connaught’s Own Lancers (Watson’s Horse), simply because I have a little thing for these two old regiments. India has also sent five auxiliary battalions of the Indian Pioneer Corps, which are non-combatants, but help immensely with manpower shortages in preparing and constructing defences. She has also provided another two Brigade HQ’s along with associated smaller units, and has seen the raising of six Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regts, equipped with the nearly obsolete 3-inch AA gun.

The last Dominion to help is Canada, who, despite not sending C-Force to Hong Kong, has contributed massively. Firstly, two of the auxiliary cruisers, HMCS Prince David and Prince Henry, have been altered differently to from their historical rebuild, retaining an ability to carry up to 450 troops/passengers, while keeping all their other military improvements. These ships have been transporting Canadian servicemen to Singapore/Malaya, where a significant RCAF presence has been established. Five Article XV RCAF squadrons have been raised; also two airfield construction companies and a Royal Canadian Signals communication construction company are deployed and a decent number of Canadians are serving in the expanded radar network that Keith Park is building. But more importantly than its her military contribution, is the war materials it she is supplying. Generous amounts of rails and railway engineering equipment is are being shipped, along with cement, and other important building materials. Large numbers of motor vehicles are being supplied, and lastly, over 150 Hurricane aircraft, minus their engines, have been sent. All of it is carried by Canadian chartered tramp steamers crossing the Pacific, which don't have to be convoyed.

Britain has done more too, robbing West African ports of designated radar units to provide Keith Park with a reasonably effective network covering Singapore, as well a few strategically placed in Northern Malaya. The replacement of the Buffalo by the Hurricane is a second major step in providing a decent air defence. The recognition that the Hurricane is no longer a premier fighter in Western Europe, doesn’t detract from the fact that it can do a good job in the Far East. Its robust design allows it to work off poor airfields, as well as take quite a bit of damage, and it can be repaired easier.

Even though the Dominions have given more, Churchill and the RAF have had to alter strategy. They have sent 200 aero engines to power the Hurricanes, and shipped less war material to the USSR, the Hurricane being the most obvious reduction. Britain has also sent further units: 151 Wing of RAF fighters, a regiment of Valentine tanks, a company of Royal Marines, and small increases in Wrens, staff officers, etc, while extra equipment includes 180 3-inch AA guns, ASDIC, and specialist vehicles.

Locally, Malaya and Hong Kong have done their bit, Hong Kong recruiting probably over extra 5,000 Chinese for the local armed forces, as well as another 3,000 in civil defence duties. For Malaya, another 3,500 Malays are in the Army, as well as 3,000 Chinese, and more of both serve with the RAF and Royal Navy. Also, Lord Gort has taken the brave decision to disband many volunteer forces, enabling a lot of the Europeans to serve in roles much better suited to their own personal skill sets. This is a minus on paper, but in general, performance overall - in administration, planning, and organisation - will be better than it was historically.

Strategy in Malaya has changed too. Park is putting more emphasis firstly on his southern airfields, and has generally improved defensive measures on them all. Wann’s RAF 223 Group, in northern Malaya, has shaped into a reasonable attacking force, admittedly only with Battles and Blenheims, but Hunter’s RAF 225 Group is still equipped with Hudson and Vildebeest aircraft. However, Vincent’s RAF 224 Group, linked with a working radar network, provides a decent air defence in the south, though somewhat patchy in the north.

The Army under Percival still has the angst of not knowing if Matador is a going concern or not, but it is stronger, a bit better equipped, and somewhat better trained. If Matador happens, it will be led by the Australian 8th Division under Rowell. If Matador doesn’t happen, it will be Godwin-Austen’s Indian III Corps which will defend Kelantan and Kuantan in the east, and the Jitra line in the Northwest, but with a viable backstop line at Gurun. It will also conduct smaller operations into Southern Thailand, i.e. securing the famous ‘Ledge’.

Force Z has arrived, the Prince of Wales has her radars working, and they’ve been augmented, with four cruisers and a few extra destroyers. Working more closely with the Dutch, means the Dutch are contributing to a light squadron, and adding submarines to the small RN flotilla.

But perhaps a bigger change is the attitude among colony residents. They know they are close to war, but it's something they have been preparing for for over a year, recognising they need to train hard and realistically. This has all been driven from the top. Caldecott has persuaded the Malay and Chinese populace to buy into this, with recruitment into the services, and also plenty of contracts awarded to local firms.

Elsewhere, things are less rosy, Burma is as unprepared as it was historically, and Borneo has been stripped of any defensive force, merely left with a denial of resources plan. Hong Kong, also stripped of over half of her garrison, and with no C Force, now relies on recent Chinese recruits to help a small British garrison provide an honourable defence of the colony. In the Philippines, MacArthur holds sway, while Hart is doing all he can to save the Asiatic Fleet. The Dutch are desperately trying to rearm, and Australia has only just realised she needs to take a lot more responsibility for her own defence. Japan is as ready as she’ll ever be. It’s now or never: the die is cast!

Orders of Battle to follow.