List of Alternate Monarchs and Aristocratic Lineage

Margaret can not inherit the Dukedom of Gloucester, but if her aunt Isabella died young or childless (as you are implying here) then Margaret would be suo jure Countess of Warwick and Countess of Salisbury once her mother and maternal grandfather died
Oh I see, would that be because Appanages in England operate under salic law, or is it because of her father's attainder?

Oh I see, would that be because Appanages in England operate under salic law, or is it because of her father's attainder?
I think this is the reason tho @The Professor would know more.
Margaret can not inherit the Dukedom of Gloucester, but if her aunt Isabella died young or childless (as you are implying here) then Margaret would be suo jure Countess of Warwick and Countess of Salisbury once her mother and maternal grandfather died
Yes and no. She can't inherit the Dukedom immediately, but she can be Duchess of Gloucester suo jure. Margaret of Norfolk was Duchess in her own right and knowing Edward, it won't be out of the left field that he makes Margaret Duchess in her own right.

The choice of name is interesting tho, is there a reason for Margaret or did you pick it randomly?

Yes and no. She can't inherit the Dukedom immediately, but she can be Duchess of Gloucester suo jure. Margaret of Norfolk was Duchess in her own right and knowing Edward, it won't be out of the left field that he makes Margaret Duchess in her own right.

The choice of name is interesting tho, is there a reason for Margaret or did you pick it randomly?
Kind of randomly, though it is the name of one of Richard's sister's after all.

English Dukedoms were almost all male limited as they were all created under patent - Margaret Duchess of Norfolk was granted the Dukedom for life only (it was recreated in tail male for her son as the 1st Duke of the second creation). The titles and estates granted weren't appanages in the French manner estates were usually separate from the title older earldom's tended to be able to be inherited by women (their husband holding the title during their lifetime) but only if they were the sole heir (if there are more than one daughter then the titles go into abeyance). Your Margaret will inherit her father's estates but not his titles, she will be the heir of her mother's titles eventually. Warwick on the death of her grandmother Anne Beauchamp Countess of Warwick and Salisbury (presumably on the death of her father).
Lincoln was created by Edward IV in 1467 for his nephew - it might well have been limited to his heirs male if not then it would only go to a daughter if she was his only child.
The following provisos were usual - heirs male of the body (of the original holder), heirs male (this could mean the title could pass to a brother, nephew or uncle if the original holder died without issue).

As @mcdnab points out English Dukedoms were usually male only inheritance (this was a deliberate copy of the French), note that OTL Margaret had to be created Duchess as she couldn't inherit the title.
The Earldom titles however are inheritable by women (if they have no sisters, if they do then it needs granting by the King) and Margaret inherited the title of Countess of Norfolk.

I assume that if his father Juan II and half brother Carlos still have a falling out Fernando would still inherit. I'm unsure who he would marry though, perhaps a French princess to settle the issue of Rousillion and Cerdanya..

There is no direct French princess (daughter/sister of a king) whom Ferdnando can marry, maybe Bona of Savoy would do for him?

Anne of Savoy I suppose, but this isn't going to be an actual TL on my part for at least a few years so..

Well, I thought more about spin-off tree done by you in this thread as you did a lot of spin-off trees from your previous trees so I exepected you (maybe incorrectly, I'm sorry) to follow the pattern, I didn't even think about making the TL out of it.

Last edited:
Well, I thought more about spin-off tree done by you in this thread as you did a lot of spin-off trees from your previous trees so I exepected you (maybe incorrectly, I'm sorry) to follow the pattern, I didn't even thought about making the TL out of it.
Oh no you were correct, sorry about that... I may actually make one for Fernando and Anne at some point.

Any ideas for a good second wife for Ferdinand if Anne dies per OTL? I'm thinking that if she dies a little earlier he could marry one of her younger sisters, like Maria or Louise, though he'd probably go for Maria as she is the second eldest daughter

Any ideas for a good second wife for Ferdinand if Anne dies per OTL? I'm thinking that if she dies a little earlier he could marry one of her younger sisters, like Maria or Louise, though he'd probably go for Maria as she is the second eldest daughter
Maybe a Navarrese infanta or relative? Or a French royal relative? I also like the idea of Ferdinand marrying Mary of Burgundy but that’s borderline ASB.

Anne of Savoy (the niece of Louis XI) is age appropriate and does bring a French alliance with her.

Anne of Savoy (the niece of Louis XI) is age appropriate and does bring a French alliance with her.
this is the anne that Awkwardvulture is talking about lol

IOTL she died in 1480...my guess is that ferdinand could remarry to one of his nieces by Eleanor of Navarre, or possibly his grand-niece Catherine of Navarre (though she is only 10 at this point)

Last edited:
this is the anne that Awkwardvulture is talking about lol

IOTL she died in 1480...my guess is that ferdinand could remarry to one of his nieces by Eleanor of Navarre, or possibly his grand-niece Catherine of Navarre (though she is only 10 at this point)
Oh okay, didn’t realise that, Eleanor works, Catherine is a stretch though.