Status
Not open for further replies.
I was stuck between 1 and 7. Voted 7 in the end (I have a soft spot for the shape of the state/the western border being in there but simply not all of it in the middle). Also when I looked 9 was winning with over 30% of the vote (around 39) with closest one being round 11%. Why are you so tasteless Americans? That is one of the top worst designs among those.

https://www.mdah.ms.gov/flagpoll

The designs for Mississippi's new state flag have been narrowed down to 9, which can be voted on at the above link (in a non binding poll).

Thankfully all of them look pretty decent to me as US states go and allowing for the prescribed text. The two predominant green ones are interesting and would be a nice clean break from the Confederate derived Southern flags, even if their designs are too complex.
Meh, a lot of them are just very bland, my favorites, in order, are : 3,8,1,7
EDIT: WHAT ? Why is the 9th, the worst one, the leading one ?

I was stuck between 1 and 7. Voted 7 in the end (I have a soft spot for the shape of the state/the western border being in there but simply not all of it in the middle). Also when I looked 9 was winning with over 30% of the vote (around 39) with closest one being round 11%. Why are you so tasteless Americans? That is one of the top worst designs among those.
Meh, a lot of them are just very bland, my favorites, in order, are : 3,8,1,7
EDIT: WHAT ? Why is the 9th, the worst one, the leading one ?

Flag 9 looks like the Marshall Plan logo!

There's also the fact that non-Mississippians are allowed to vote...which is kinda whack. Why am I, a Californian, allowed to give input on a symbol that is supposed to represent the people of a state I have never visted?

There's also the fact that non-Mississippians are allowed to vote...which is kinda whack. Why am I, a Californian, allowed to give input on a symbol that is supposed to represent the people of a state I have never visted?

I think anyone can decide which is best from a visual design viewpoint, even if they can't tell which symbolism is most relevant. The commission already determined that when they selected the finalists, so I guess there is no risk there.

On the Mississippi flag re-design, if there were a 'none of the above' option, that's definitely the one I'd have chosen. I suppose the fact that №9 is currently winning reflects the fondness for the 'seal on bedsheet' kind of flags in the USA?
ps I voted for №1 as the least-bad option, imo. Small text and the symbol not as over-bearing as on some (most) of the others.

The designs for Mississippi's new state flag have been narrowed down to 9, which can be voted on at the above link (in a non binding poll).

Thankfully all of them look pretty decent to me as US states go and allowing for the prescribed text. The two predominant green ones are interesting and would be a nice clean break from the Confederate derived Southern flags, even if their designs are too complex.
I like them all, though I'm not a big fan of the green and yellow color scheme.

Meh. I'm hardly surprised that this is their shortlist, but they all just leave me flat. They're relatively good for US state flags, but let's be honest, that's a really low bar to clear. Plus compared to your average flag design, they're all going to be really quite expensive to produce real hard-wearing examples of, for flying on flagpoles etc. It feels like the people choosing options have only ever encountered electronic flag images and never thought about how fast one of these designs will either fray apart or bleach out in daylight.

Anyone care to hazard a guess which one they'll actually choose? Bearing in mind that the site explicitly says it's a "nonbinding public poll" so voting is basically meaningless if the committee doesn't like the results, I'm torn between option 2, which feels like the one that those wanting a 'stealth confederate' design might go for, and option 9 which is the most non-descript US state flag-like one IMHO.

Starforce

Banned
Sorealist Republic of China. Anti-partisan government under 'benevolent' totalitarian dictatorship. The country is a puppet state of the Sorealist government of the former United States. They employ morally grey methods of getting their ideas put into place and actively hunt down 'partisan' activities with the general idea that a country should be one and not divided between groups and ideologies.

191208255a.png

Thande

Donor
So I found an old word document that had notes for a sort fan-alt of @Thande Look to the West where I'll give the divergence where Quebec is turned into a founding confederacy and at the end describes the Flag of the ENA at around the time of the start of the Pandoric War. I thin I'll have a couple of guesses as to what might've happened in this alternate version of LTTW before describing the major changes.
View attachment 574526
That's so busy it's actually quite realistic as a real flag proposal, I always complain alternate historians make their flags more aesthetically pleasing than what usually gets hastily agreed in OTL :p

Bear in mind the bottom right doesn't make sense because the symbol on the original ENA flag is the bezants of the Duchy of Cornwall, they don't relate to a specific number of provinces that would increase or whatever. Though, again, in real life that's the sort of confusion that can happen later with the people designing the flag.

Mississippi has chosen the final five designs.

God, the top left one why?!

Say what you want about them but the rest at least have elements that distinguish them from other states. That one is just a shield with generic American symbolism (and waves for Mississippi River I suppose but that isn't much).

Status
Not open for further replies.