Flag Thread IV

Discussion in 'Alternate History Maps and Graphics' started by SaveAtlacamani, Apr 1, 2014.

1. KuboCaskett Resident Japanophile

That or maybe many of the Nazi party personnel (including the Fuhrer) are gay and had an affair with Pennywise the Dancing Clown.

2. Miranda Brawner Trans Woman Donor

Ho ho ho! It's the flag of Nikolaia, the chilly northern kingdom that leads the world in charitable giving per capita, and throws the world's best Christmas parties!

SantaClausFlag.png

Credit for the reindeer picture goes to Are G Nilsen.

ramones1986, Miner, JALC and 5 others like this.
  3. Gian Wizard of Watkins Mill

I don't have any good words to describe it, but here's a gallery of flags to go along with my WIP map that I've yet to put out the basics. (Take a wild guess at the PoD)

[​IMG]

Me!, TedBacon12, Laqueesha and 23 others like this.
  4. Miranda Brawner Trans Woman Donor

Wow, those Argentine flags are really impressive! I like the mix of British and Argentine imagery.

jennysnooper87 and Gian like this.
  5. Gian Wizard of Watkins Mill

Thanks.

You can pretty much take a wild guess as to the PoD.

jennysnooper87 likes this.
  6. PatrickMtz Well-Known Member

Israel's.png
    6 Israel's

7. Danthefan28 Well-Known Member

The Confederacy. There is the occasional small fight, but they usually end in stalemates and "tactical fallbacks" as the Confederacy says.

8. Suvareshkin Well-Known Member

"Иврит" is the Russian word for the Hebrew language, not the people. The proper term would be "Еврейев."

9. Dorozhand Queer Hedonistic Communist

I actually really like the combination of blue and cyan. To me, they aren't two shades of the same color, but different hues altogether, and have quite different symbols and associations.

Here's the flag of the Republic of Arctica, a sparsely-populated but resource rich state occupying the eponymous island in the middle of the Acidalian Ocean near the Martian north pole. The capital, Chelomey, is a small city of 200,000 centered around the seaport, which serves as a hub for transportation all across Mars' northern hemisphere. Some small scale agriculture of potato, broccoli, cabbage, and strawberry occurs on the surface during the summer weeks in the southernmost reaches of the the southwards-facing peninsula on which Chelomey is located, but most occurs underground in fission-heated bunkers and most of the food is imported anyway. Most of the economic activities of the hinterland revolve around mining of uranium, iron, copper, niobium, potassium, and aluminium, and nuclear-heated mining communities are connected by railways stretching across the ice. Whaling and sealing occur off the coast as well as fishing of shrimp, shark, halibut, haddock, cod, and Chryse Nelma. The deep blue represents the Acidalian Ocean, the cyan represents the sky, the white represents the clouds, and the two crescents represent Phobos and Deimos.

blucyansmall.png

Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
  10. Filo Count of Santa Lucia

Regno di Longobardia, Margraviato di Toscana.
    That's a strange choice or colors.
    Can i ask why purple?

11. DrWalpurgis ha ha ha OH WELL

Can't speak for the author here, but it might be because purple is a colour associated with royalty.

Nice assortment! I assume Mary I having an heir with Phillip is the PoD?
    It seems like Argentina is a Canada analogue in this TL, which is interesting.

Danthefan28 likes this.
  12. Danthefan28 Well-Known Member

Two reasons actually: Firstly it's associated with Royalty, and secondly, because it's a colour rarely seen on a flag.

13. Gian Wizard of Watkins Mill

That's not the PoD

14. The Professor Pontifex Collegii Vexillographiariorum

Rather hard as the sun symbol suggests 1800s but the dominance of English over Scottish Arms suggests no Stuart inheritance so has to be late 16th.

15. Gian Wizard of Watkins Mill

Well, you're right on the 1800s (1806-07 to be precise)

16. Iserlohn Amateur Cartographer

[​IMG]

After stumbling across a Georgian political party named Girchi, which uses a pine cone as its symbol, I immediately associated it with the Pacific Northwest, so I incorporated it into an alternate flag for the state of Washington. Very simple design, in terms of proportions similar to Texas' state flag.

17. Filo Count of Santa Lucia

Regno di Longobardia, Margraviato di Toscana.
    Sudeten Duchy.png
    The Sudetenland Flag from my TL "La Triplice".
    The Sudetenland is a lander of the Autonomous Bohemia kingdom, in personal Union with the German emperor.

18. Socrates Well-Known Member

Edited.

I'm uploading a picture badly. How do I do it so it appears in post?

19. WhiteDragon25 Kicked

You should know how it goes by now: more flags to present, yadda yadda:

[​IMG]

First flag here: the West Indies Federation, which was a short-lived union of British Caribbean colonies from 1958 to 1962. This is technically just an update on an older version I made a long time ago, so I wouldn't really call it 'new'.

[​IMG]

On the same note, the next flag here is for the Caribbean Community, a supranational organization meant to foster economic integration and cooperation among its members across the Caribbean. Again, I had an older version of this flag, but I decided to replace it with a new one that was more accurate to the IRL flag.

[​IMG]

To complete the Caribbean theme, here's a flag for a Caribbean Union, in which (almost) all of the Caribbean islands are united under a single government (excluding Cuba and Hispaniola); you can assume that it's an ATL evolution/merger of both the West Indies Federation and the Caribbean Community. And again, this is an older flag of mine, a copy of a design I found somewhere but can't remember where, but it's such a good design that it didn't really need any changes made to it.

[​IMG]

Moving across the pond for a little bit, here's a recreation of the original proposal for the Republic of Nigeria's flag, before the contest judges removed the sun badge on it to get the Nigerian flag that we see today. I have no idea why they removed it, as it gave the flag a bit of character and flavor that made it stand out from the designs of its neighbors.

[​IMG]

Further west from Nigeria, here's my take on the flag of the Central African Empire under the rule of 'Emperor' Bokassa I... well, technically, it was his 'Imperial Standard' but who's going to fuss about that detail? Besides, Bokassa's original design is... well... not really good. It's not horrible, truthfully, but it feels kinda lazily done, with both the eagle and the sun sharing the same yellow color with only a black outline distinguishing the eagle from the sun behind it... yeah, it had something going for it, but flubbed it with the lack of colors. Hence, why I dropped the black outlines and replaced them with a red disc to break up the yellow.

[​IMG]

Going south to the Congo Basin, here's my take on the People's Republic of the Congo - and to be clear, this is Congo-Brazzaville, not Congo-Kinshasa... well, according to OTL, anyways: my personal alt-history map has both the RotC and the DRotC merged together as one United Republic of the Congo (plus the Central African Republic/Empire and several other Equatorial Africa states), so there really isn't much of a difference to be had here, hence my addition of the green-blue diagonal band to make that clear.

Now the difficult part for me is figuring out how to merge together the eclectic political histories of the Republic of the Congo, the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and the Central African Republic into one coherent timeline...

Anyways, that's all for now. Until next time!

20. The Professor Pontifex Collegii Vexillographiariorum

Better than your original, though I prefer the OTL one as the waves accent around the sun.

I do prefer the otl one with its curvier letters. Sorry!

Very nice!
    Even works if you make the central line white.
    Yeah, I agree.

Much better!
    An alternative was making the eagle black.

I'd lighten the blue stripe for better contrast with the red and green.

All in all, another good outing!