Should we change this title to "The Big 4 comics industry"

• Yes

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Yes but it will have to change when Image comics is formed?

Votes: 3 23.1%
  • No Fawcett comics survives is a good title

Votes: 6 46.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How are some of independent press doing in this time period please? Dark Horse, Underground Comix, Heavy Metal, Fantagor, Rip Off Press etc
Is the underground scene still going strong?
  • Dark Horse doesn't come until the 80s
  • Heavy Metal I've already said is unchanged
  • Underground & Rip Off press have been in talks with Steve Gerber on collaborations ( Howard the Duck/Wonder Warthog or Fritz the Cat crossover)
  • I haven't found anything on Fantagor so as of right now goes unchanged
  • WArpt Press however is currently part of Quack

I'm coming in at the end so forgive me for stating things that I'm sure have been dealt with. If Fawcett continued to publish they would have kept the trade mark for Captain Marvel, and the Marvel Family. Marvel Comics would have a problem publishing the adventures of a character called Captain Marvel. The DC Universe would be poorer for it. Fawcett would've had to decide if they would be younger reader comic company, or change with trends of the 60's on for more serious plot line, if you can call any Comic Book plot line serious. Crisis on Infinite Earths vs talking tigers. So for now let me just say SHAZAM!

I'm coming in at the end so forgive me for stating things that I'm sure have been dealt with. If Fawcett continued to publish they would have kept the trade mark for Captain Marvel, and the Marvel Family. Marvel Comics would have a problem publishing the adventures of a character called Captain Marvel. The DC Universe would be poorer for it. Fawcett would've had to decide if they would be younger reader comic company, or change with trends of the 60's on for more serious plot line, if you can call any Comic Book plot line serious. Crisis on Infinite Earths vs talking tigers. So for now let me just say SHAZAM!
Well I have covered this so here it goes:
  1. DC does struggle however bounces back thanks to outside media and courting Jack Kirby in the 70s
  2. Marvel keeps the title of Atlas comics as to not ruffle Fawcett's legal team
  3. Captain Marvel stays a purely kids stuff til the 70's however Fawcett gets a variety of readers thanks to the issues of Spy-Smasher, and Minute man (which was changed to a Time traveling scifi series in the 50s)

I down know what your plans for Star Wars but I wanted to direct you to this:

DC comics
PSX_20200525_104932.jpg

After the cancelation of Teen Titans writer of Paul Kupperberg a long time fan of the Doom Challengers since way back when they were two separate teams was given the chance to revive this team with artist Joe Staton.
Kyle "Ace" Morgan & Rita "Elasi-Girl Morgan who had retired from the team to raise their adopted son Garfield discovered that their original team has been killed by the Brotherhood of Evil and decide to avenge their fallen friends the new team members consist of
Arani "Celsius" Desari - Docs previously unseen girlfriend who experimental telicantic diadem makes her the new genius of the team
Betsy " Shadow lass" Narcross from Teen Titans who has become the harbinger of the Negative mans energy being
Drake "Wildfire" Burroghs from the Teen Titans who can touchhis girlfriend Betsy's Negative energy being without harm
Peter "Colossus" Rasputin (Originally Cliff"Robot-man" Steele was going to be the sole survivor and the the team was going to have a Russian Negative Woman however Joe Staton who was also working on Metal men felt that Colossus could be a good replacement for Cliff and get a Russian character)
Joshua "Jericho" Clay the only other non superpowered member of the team, Clay a former Vietnam veteran would clash with Ace as the two generations of soldiers

Last edited:
Quack comics
PSX_20200525_130109.jpg
With the loss of the Black Lightning property still in the mind of Steve Gerber Quack comics was able to bounce back by being the first comic book to license a the likeness of Kiss the Kiss special co-written by Steve Gerber and Gene Simmons himself would be the first comic book to star a musician since Fawcett's Elvis Presley comics and would sell out at Kiss concerts nationwide.

comics on TV
By the Fall of 1977 Stan Lee achieved getting two of Atlas comics superheroes on the Small Screen.
In the previous year Stan Lee was able to pitch Spiderman to Columbia pictures and Incredible Hulk (as well as 4 other properties) to Universal studios for their TV departments. With Spiderman getting ahold of of Producer William Reed Woodfield for syndication (PTVS in some areas) and Hulk getting Produced by Six million dollar man's own Kenneth Johnson for NBC

comics on TV
b607a441175b0a05ab070cd5b6e9850d.jpg
Amazing Spider-man appeared on TV in Syndication on Tuesday at 8:00pm from 1977-1979 (though in some areas it was on The PTVS stations) based on the comic/Comic strip of the same name though several characters names would be changed in adaptation
Nickolas HammondSpiderman/Peter Parker
Peter GravesJonah Jameson head of the Daily Bugle
Irene TedrowAunt May Parker
Catherine BachMary J. Watson (Mays Neighbor whom she is trying to pair her nephew with)
Ellen BlyElisabeth Brant (Reporter for the Daily Bugle & Peters main love intrest )
Chip FieldsGloria Conway (Gloria Grant's name was changed to avoid confusion during script reading)
Michael PatakskiPolice Captain Barbera
Kurt Russellofficer Gene Thompson (Barbera's partner who was based on Flash Thompson)
Tom SelleckMary's boyfriend Harry (based loosey on Harry Osborn only appeared in 5 episodes)
Richard RoundtreeRobbie Robinson (only appeared in the pilot)
Because the shows budget was mostly used to create Spider-man's powers the choice was made after the pilot episode not to introduce any costumed villains. (The Pilot was based on the Stan Lee/Steve Ditko story Enter the Enforcers)
Mr. Big/Rick Foswell
Leonard Nimoy
Montana
Tim Masterson
Ox
Hardboiled Hagerty
Fancy Dan
Jim Kelly

Last edited:
I might be missing something, but that Spider-Man show seems terribly white- yeah I know it’s 1977, but still...
To White? The first episode has Richard Roundtree, Jim Kelly, and Chip Fields,
Plus Bold of you to assume that original characters from later episodes would be White yea Race hussler
@Ogrebear sorry about the outburst I was only listing the actors playing characters from the comic/inspired by the comics rest assured that that actors like Scatsman Cutters, John Amos, Cicely Tison, Ken Leone, Mako, Rossalan Cho, Larry Hama, Ernie Hudson, and Lou Gossett jr appeared

Last edited:
To White? The first episode has Richard Roundtree, Jim Kelly, and Chip Fields,
Plus Bold of you to assume that original characters from later episodes would be White yea Race hussler
@Ogrebear sorry about the outburst I was only listing the actors playing characters from the comic/inspired by the comics rest assured that that actors like Scatsman Cutters, John Amos, Cicely Tison, Ken Leone, Mako, Rossalan Cho, Larry Hama, Ernie Hudson, and Lou Gossett jr appeared
Let assume that the Spiderman Show faces a series of complains about the fact that the only regular Black Actor appear is Chip Field as just a secertary .
So the Show let her work as a Reporter at times covering stories .
And the show has Greg Morris of Mission Impossible Fame appear as a Agent for a unnamed department . Marvel Fan think it SHIELD. Non Marvel Fan think it the IMF from Mission Impossible.

Let assume that the Spiderman Show faces a series of complains about the fact that the only regular Black Actor appear is Chip Field as just a secertary .
And the show has Greg Morris of Mission Impossible Fame appear as a Agent for a unnamed department . Marvel Fan think it SHIELD. Non Marvel Fan think it the IMF from Mission Impossible.
And knowing 70's TV they would never reveal which one. FYI the show would have a revolving cast of reporters including some of the actors mentioned above as well as other actors from Mission Impossible and Voyage from the bottom of the sea
Robbie Robinson lack of appearance was due to a busy schedule and interviews suggested as much. However Richard Roundtree did return in the Spiderman vs Hulk reunion movie in 1985

Last edited:
And knowing 70's TV they would never reveal which one. FYI the show would have a revolving cast of reporters including some of the actors mentioned above as well as other actors from Mission Impossible and Voyage from the bottom of the sea
Robbie Robinson lack of appearance was due to a busy schedule and interviews suggested as much. However Richard Roundtree did return in the Spiderman vs Hulk reunion movie in 1985
You could have the Character of Sam Wilson appear on the show. IIRC, he use to work as a Cop before he became Falcon.
No we not going to do the Falcon in the 1970's TV show. But we could have the Character of Sam appear.
You could cast "Spiderman Fan" Morgan Freeman as Sam.
Morgan Freeman has appeared in a earlier adaption of Spiderman.
(Any one else on this Thread, old enough to remember the Electric Company adaptations of Spiderman?)

You could have the Character of Sam Wilson appear on the show. IIRC, he use to work as a Cop before he became Falcon.
No we not going to do the Falcon in the 1970's TV show. But we could have the Character of Sam appear.
(Any one else on this Thread, old enough to remember the Electric Company adaptations of Spiderman?)

The Electric Company version was and still is the definitive version. All those fancy cgi effects from the later movies are just “lipstick on a pig”.

Sadly the way the media works means that Spider-man can't use Sam Wilson because he is associated with Captain America and the Captain America properties is promised to another studio. But I like the idea of Morgan Freeman guest starring though he has admitted he doesn't like his time on Electric company so if he does appear it would be for the paycheck and not a tribute