Fantasque Time Line (France Fights On) - English Translation

Status
Not open for further replies.
August 1st, 1940

Alger
- The Belgians agreed to put part of their liners from Ostend at the disposal of the French Admiralty for future operations in the western Mediterranean: the three
that they were asked for Ravenne and two others, offered spontaneously, for Marignan.
A few days later, they propose to engage in Ravenne, in addition to the six LeO-451s of their No. 6 squadron, already integrated in the bombing forces of the Armée de l'Air, the n° 5 squadron, with seven bombers (4 Fairey Battle and 3 Douglas DB-8).

August 1st, 1940

Libya (Tripolitania)
- The 16th BLM occupies El Machina, about 50 km south of Sirte. But the crazy race of the French motorized cavalrymen stops there for two weeks, due to a lack of fuel and ammunition. Major de Hauteclocque has to curb his enthusiasm (and to mull over his disappointment: the elements of the 1st RCA had outpaced the machines of his battalion).
On the Italian side, the entire ASI is short of supplies.
After the fall of Tripoli and the catastrophic failure of the attempt to supply Benghazi by fast liners, the Regia Marina decides to use eight of its largest submarines for supply and evacuation missions. These are the Pietro Micca and Atropo minelaying submarines and six "ocean-going" subs, the three units of the Calvi-class (Pietro Calvi, Giuseppe Finzi, Enrico Tazzoli) and the three survivors of the Balilla-class (Domenico Millelire, Antonio Sciesa and Enrico Toti). Some missions are also carried out by destroyers, "sprinting" between the Greek coast and Benghazi.

August 1st, 1940

Midi-Pyrénées
- The Germans reached the threshold of Naurouze, where they encounter their first opposition since Toulouse. This resistance is all the more difficult to overcome as the logistical difficulties increase: not only do the supply lines become longer, but some ammunition begins to run out (a problem that had already arisen at the end of the campaign in Poland).

Provence
- The entire Marseille area is occupied. The German troops immediately begin to to make their way from Marseille to Toulon, despite numerous improvised roadblocks.

Cote d'Azur - After a progress of an irritating slowness against French forces very inferior in number - it is true that the ground is very favorable to the defenders - the Italian army makes its way into Nice. But the troops of the XVth French Corps block the outlets of the city, thus keeping open the road to the Var valley, one of the last two evacuation routes of the Army of the Alps. In addition, several elements of the Fortified Sector of the Alpes-Maritimes, surrounded, still resist with energy, and will resist until their food and ammunition are exhausted. This does not prevent Mussolini from making a vibrant speech announcing that Italy had won the war. The Duce only forgot to specify that the war is not over.
However, the Regio Esercito has already suffered 17,000 dead and wounded on the Alps and Côte d'Azur front since the beginning of the fighting. And what the English call "the butcher's note" is getting bigger at the moment for the Italians on the other side of the Mediterranean!

Skies over France - All French fighter planes remaining in France are ordered to evacuate to North Africa. Departures are staggered until August 3rd. In total, 94 aircraft
reach Algeria or Corsica.
The GC II/5, equipped with Curtiss H-75s, claims for the period from July 2nd to August 1st 39 victories and 17 "probable" ones.
The GC III/6, equipped with D-520s, claims 51 victories (and 24 "probable") for the same period. It is certainly the most effective fighter group of all the ZOA-SE, with a total of 118 victories and 51 "probables" as of August 1st, of which 18 victories and 8 "probable" before June 25th (and 11 victories plus 8 "probable" with MS-406s, before the group's conversion to D-520). The Group's number one ace is Warrant Officer Pierre Le Gloan, with 25.5 victories and 8 "probable".
The Bloch 152/155 fighters of the Groupement de Marche Viguier (which recovered aircraft of the same type previously used for training by the Aéronavale at Cuers) continued to play their dual role as air superiority and ground attack fighters. They destroy 25 enemy aircraft in addition to several dozen trucks and vehicles of all types.

Sète - In spite of the bombings, the commercial port remains practicable and the fishing ports as well as the long sandy beaches are intensively used.
But it is on the whole of the still free Mediterranean coast that the same scenes as in Dunkirk a little more than two months earlier are repeated endlessly: devastated ports where ships can penetrate only at night, just enough time to embark men in overload before immediately sprinting away from the coast, abandoned and sabotaged equipment along the roads, men taking refuge on the beaches and dunes, trying to take shelter from the enemy bombers, frail boats approaching the shore every night to rescue as many men as possible...
In order to optimize the number of rotations, most of the ships unload their passengers in Corsica before returning to the Mediterranean coast.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2186

Preamble

All of you may know the Fantasque Time Line, which we commonly know as France Fights On. You can find it here. However, there has to my knowledge been no english translation of this work. I've contacted @Loïc M. , one of the authors of the FTL, to be able to translate this work so that you folks may finally get an English version. Having had his approval, this will be the thread for the English translation.
Now the work is obviously huge, which is why I cannot promise to translate everything. However, I will make sure to have at least the military and political sides of the work fully translated (this is around 2/3rds to 3/4ers of the work).

June 6th, 1940

1100 At the ministry of war, in Paris’ Rue Saint-Dominique, the council of ministers has its hands full with maps and dispatches all describing the same tragedy. The Allies, overwhelmed on a tactical standpoint, are also outnumbered since the fighting in May, which saw the encirclement and destruction of a large portion of the French armies and British Expeditionary Force – and the German offensive resumed the day before. How to stop the armies of Von Bock (Army Group B) who attack on the Somme and the Ailette? The Weygand line is breaking under the assault of the Panzers.

Paul Reynaud, President du Conseil since the end of March, but also minister of War, knows it: the collapse of the front is now a matter of days, possibly hours [1]. His undersecretary to War, the man who imagined the role of armoured divisions in modern warfare, can now see the scenario he had dreamt of, but it is his country that was falling victim to it: “Our forces were behaving heroically, but they were outnumbered (…) I couldn’t explain to the President du Conseil that we had nothing to oppose the German Panzers.”

Brigadier-General (temporarily) Charles de Gaulle had been a member of government for a mere few hours, when the ministerial shuffle occurred. Just like him, many ministers would never accept to concede defeat against Nazi Germany, starting with Reynaud himself – but De Gaulle knew that others always considered this war as a major mistake. First among them, Marshal Petain, vice-president of the Conseil.

“If our greatest fears about the current battle were to become true, asked De Gaulle, don’t you think, Monsieur le president du Conseil, that the presence of Marshal Petain’s presence amidst the government would disturb the establishment of measures for the salvation of the nation?”

“It is true that the Marshal has always criticized the war and that a military defeat would offer him the possibility of giving his opinions on French politics. But I’d rather have him in [the government] than out.” Reynaud answers.

1155 In his office at the ministry of War, Lt.col. De Villelume, who learned the opposition of De Gaulle to Petain’s presence in the new government, scribbles a few notes to answer to… whom it may concern. Villelume, military advisor to the ministry of foreign affairs, and liaison officer to High Command since the start of the conflict, had been promoted a few hours earlier to deputy-secretary to the War Council. Council where he would reunite with the new Brigadier-General (temporary, as he was nominated during war time) De Gaulle, whom he knew only too well…However after a few knocks on his office door, someone enters without being given invited to do so!

General De Gaulle, after the usual military salutes, declares to Villelume that he is “delighted to have a man of such talent under [his] orders.”

Even though he knew what to expect, the pill is hard to swallow for the officer, who answers in an icy tone: “You are mistaken, sir Undersecretary. I am not under your orders. If needed, the President du Conseil will confirm this to you at the end of the day. I will let you leave to the Quai d’Orsay for the meeting later.”

The general stares daggers at him. If he knew that his first steps in politics would be difficult, in such a dramatic setting, he didn’t think to have to battle so quickly!

Dryly, he replies: “France is living hours much too dark for us to give much importance to protocol.” Without even giving time for Villelume to open his mouth, De Gaulle turns heels and walks out of the office of this old acquaintance which resembles an antagonist with each passing hour…

……

Old acquaintance indeed: they met for the first time at Ingolstadt’s Fort IX in 1916. The cavalryman, survivor of the glorious charge of the Gironde squadron, thought he knew well the infantryman made prisoner at Douaumont, and even shared with him the anecdote about the sabre [2]. De Villelume had managed to escape a short while after De Gaulle’s arrival, he didn’t have time to form an opinion on he who was two years his senior. They did have a common friend, Tuchashevsky, De Gaulle’s cellmate and great friend of Villelume’s, who fell victim to Stalin’s purges in the 1930s.

It is only at the beginning of 1940 that the two main military advisors of Reynaud crossed paths again. In this month of June 1940, De Gaulle wants to continue the fight, while Villelume thinks that the war has gone too badly to be won, and wishes for fighting to stop as soon as possible. And neither of them wants to back down. It is true that the Auvergnat aristocrat had always been right with his analysis of the international situation!

France should’ve distanced itself from the western alliances, who had brought her only complications and had allowed the USSR to position itself as the kingmaker of Europe…and divide Poland with Germany. In Spring 1939, he informed Daladier that the army wouldn’t be ready in time to support Poland. In 1940, he opposed the Dyle-Breda plan of Daladier and Gamelin. At the same time, he encouraged to take advantage of the winter to bomb the railroads and train stations of Germany in order to disrupt the Wehrmacht’s movements – but the GQG and government had stayed idle the entire winter. He was also partisan of a wider intervention in Norway and Finland to cripple the German economy and had been enraged to see that Gamelin didn’t care about these “side theatres”. It was him that, in early May, Reynaud had charged to draft an accusation manifesto against Gamelin in the goal of replacing him – but the start of the German offensive had stopped these plans.

However, Villelume did share with De Gaulle the desire to give the government and the populace a warrior spirit. But it’s the way of doing so that caused a rift between the two men. In January, Reynaud had asked for his opinion on a note given by Col. De Gaulle encouraging to attack the Siegfried line. His answer: “Even if we managed to open a gap in the enemy’s defences, what would be the point? In a rural battle, our lesser numbers would lead us to a bitter defeat!” But he did feel that Reynaud had given in to De Gaulle’s influence. It is his help he sought when writing his inauguration speech in Spring.

On March 26th, in Leca’s (cabinet director of Reynaud) office, the opposition between the two men became vocal. Villelume tells: “The Colonel De Gaulle made a long presentation about the possibility of winning the war militarily. He deplores that we did not enter Belgium, even against the Belgians’ will. According to him, the German army isn’t stronger than the French, and their air forces are equal…I am astonished. I thought him much more intelligent and informed. I do not even think to interrupt his monologue. I just refute everything in a few strict words when he finishes talking.”

On this June 6th, Villelume, still annoyed, rings Paul Baudouin, Undersecretary to the Ministry of Foreign affairs and close friend to Reynaud, also an opponent to the continuation of the war proned by Mandel and Margerie. They agree to talk about it following the afternoon meeting at the Quai d’Orsay. Baudouin advises Villelume to invent any pretext to talk to the Countess de Portes, official mistress of the President du Conseil, who apparently has much influence over him. Maybe she can convince Reynaud to dismiss the arrogant colonel.

1500 The government convenes for the usual “family photo”. It is taken, not at the Hotel Matignon, but on the steps of the Escalier d’Honneur of the Quai d’Orsay (Reynaud is also Minister of Foreign Affairs). Even with the unknowns of the military situation, a few bottles of Champagne are opened and Paul Reynaud is given the best wishes of Helene de Portes, his official mistress for a few months now. He decided to divorce for him to marry the beautiful Helene as soon as the law will allow him to do so. When the young woman leaves Matignon, Reynaud offers her his car, but Lt.Col. De Villelume offers to accompany her personally. “It is very nice of you, Mr.Villelume observes Reynaud but remember, we have work to do.”

“I shall drive her myself.” Villelume answers. “I won’t be long.”

According to Reynaud’s memoirs, Villelume apparently mentioned to Helene de Portes that he wished to “talk about the personalities of certain members of the new cabinet, and a certain arrogant colonel, to be more precise…”

As Charles de Gaulle would note to some of his collaborators, including Geoffroy Chodron de Courcel, Paul de Villelume was a brilliant man, but with a complete bias against him. Indeed, he had waged a silent war against his ideas and the pursuit of hostilities with Reynaud.

1600 Villelume’s car races along the Quai d’Orsay and speeds through the Pont de l’Alma. While crossing, still at high speeds, the Place de l’Alma, towards the Avenue George V, the driver loses control of the vehicle for an unknown reason. After the war, some eyewitnesses would claim that a mysterious Mercedes, appearing from the Avenue Montaigne, had slammed into her rear before disappearing on the Pont de l’Alma…Whatever the reasons, the automobile violently runs into a lamppost and wedges on its side. Help arrives very quickly, and the two people inside, covered in blood, are raced to the Hotel-Dieu Hospital. It is there that they realize that Helene de Portes had died on the spot, instantly.

It is 1625. Today, certain historians consider that the “Pont de l’Alma incident” had massive consequences despite its allure, and that at this moment, France’s destiny shifted.

1700 Reynaud, warned, rushes to the Hotel-Dieu, along with his cabinet director, Dominique Leca. In front of his mistress’ corpse, he completely breaks down in tears. “I cannot continue Dominique, I will resign…”

“Don’t, mister President du Conseil! France needs you ! ” Leca pleads while pointing (not without hypocrisy) to the dead woman. “Think of her! She loved you, she was passionate about the affairs of the State, she wouldn’t have wanted you to abandon your task!”

The argument seems to work on Reynaud, who goes silent and thinks, silently, for a few minutes. It is then that De Villelume appears. He is only lightly injured and bears on his head a large bandage that gives him a ridiculous aura. “Mister president…” he stutters. “I am so sorry, I…”

Reynaud stops and rages at the man, in tears: “How dare you…You were driving…it’s your fault! Get out of my sight, I do not wish to see you again! Never!” [3]

2000 After a discussion with Dominique Leca, Reynaud decides to give De Villelume’s post to Roland de Margerie, responsible of his diplomatic cabinet at the time. “The next few days would see Reynaud impacted but “liberated” (according to De Gaulle), give Roland de Margerie a way to gain growing influence, to the point of becoming a second President du Conseil, to the great disappointment of the defeatist faction.” (De Gaulle t.II, Le Combattant, 1984, J.Lacouture).

We have recently learnt, thanks to the memoirs of admiral Philippe de Gaulle, how hard the general had been stunned at the sudden removal of Paul de Villelume from the political scene, and of the one he called Reynaud’s “mégerie”, considering her opposition of the fighting faction. “This event, he’d told his son, was for me a sign of the providence. France’s destiny wasn’t going to let itself go with the sirens of despair.”

[1] At this moment, Reynaud considers the possibility of the creation of a “Brittany Redoubt” in case the situation worsens. However, although Marshal Weygand just created the 10th Military Region, under general Guitry’s command, which encompasses all of Brittany, it is without any hope of success.

[2] This story is repeated by anti-Gaullist factions as a way of proving De Gaulle’s arrogance. As he just arrived in captivity, he had asked to be given his officer’s sabre, honor only given to those that had displayed extreme bravery at the moment of their capture. After examination of the Oflag’s records, this request was denied.

[3] After his dismissal by Paul Reynaud, Paul de Villelume would stay in France and would offer his services to Pierre Laval in October of 1940. He would be named Ambassador to France in Germany. In 1944, he tried to escape to Spain, but failed and was imprisoned. Sentenced to death for collaborating with the enemy, he refused to ask for the president’s pardon. Indeed, Paul Reynaud had then become president of the Republic, and he still carried with him the grief of the countess’ death.
Thanks for this, using Goggle translate (which i hope you are not using) is less then somebody taking some time to truly translate this nice piece of work.

Thanks for this, using Goggle translate (which i hope you are not using) is less then somebody taking some time to truly translate this nice piece of work.
I use Deepl for basic translation (so that I don't have to completely translate everything "manually", notably for the longer updates), have a read over it, and then rewrite it so that it can make sense (notably in terms of phrasing, wording, structuring or tenses).

Deleted member 2186

I use Deepl for basic translation (so that I don't have to completely translate everything "manually", notably for the longer updates), have a read over it, and then rewrite it so that it can make sense (notably in terms of phrasing, wording, structuring or tenses).
Not wanting to sidetrack this nice thread, is Deepl better than Google transalte.

August 2nd, 1940

Djibouti
- Two Moranes are on patrol when they are signaled two fast Italian three-engine planes. Full throttle, the fighters catch up with their prey when No. 2 is forced to abandon the pursuit due to engine problems (the long trip from Algeria had not done any good to the engine). The leader opens fire, but his HS-404 gun jams at the first shell! The pilot, enraged, has to be satisfied with spraying one of the SM.79 with his two light machine guns, but is forced to let it escape.
Nevertheless, this is the last daylight raid on Djibouti, the presence of the Moranes playing a dissuasive role. The night harassment carried out by Ca.133s is not really effective, and the Armée de l'Air is able to organize itself to support the ground troops in the best possible way.
The MS-406s are to ensure air superiority missions, the D-501s and D-510s escort missions (or even dive-bombing missions with racks built on the spot), the Potez 631s for ground support, the 63.11s for reconnaissance, and the old Potez TOEs for liaison and coastal patrols.

August 2nd, 1940

Bagnères-de-Bigorre
- Mr. Laval, Mr. Flandin and Mr. Déat are discreetly handed over to the German occupation authorities by the Spanish services. They immediately ask to go to Paris, but the local Kommandantur prefers to wait until they knew more about them. They will spend two long days in a very uncomfortable house under surveillance...

August 2nd, 1940

Karpathos
- The submarine Iride (Lieutenant Francesco Brunetti) arrives in Karpathos during the night of August 1st to 2nd, in the discreet setting of the bay of Pigadia, with the torpedo boat Calipso, which brings four SLCs (or maiales) and their crews (four double crews plus a reserve crew).
At dawn, a British reconnaissance plane flies over the port and signals to Alexandria the presence of the submarine.
At the end of the day, when the Iride has just left Karpathos, three Swordfish torpedo bombers of the HMS Eagle appear from the south. The submarine, weighed down by the SLC, is sailing at this time on the surface, the deck flush with the water, while the operators of the craft finish stowing them. The Swordfish attack without giving the Iride time to dive. The submarine is hit by a torpedo and sinks immediately; only the sailors present in the kiosk and the SLC operators on the bridge are able to leave the vessel.
Alerted, the torpedo boat Calipso quickly arrives on the scene and rescued the survivors. Without waiting, the SLC operators regain their combat diving reflexes and dive on the wreck, at a depth of 18 meters. After long hours of effort, they rescue seven sailors trapped in a non-flooded compartment, recover the ship's flags... and the four SLCs, which are not very damaged!
The GA1 attempt is therefore aborted and the toll paid is very high (one submarine and its crew lost), but the men of the MAS learn many lessons about the preparation of their
their future operations. In particular, they decided to equip several submarines (first the Ametista and the Scirè, a little later the Gondar) with watertight cylinders to store the SLCs, thus allowing the submarine to dive deeper.
The Italian authorities note that this disaster could not have occurred if there had been fighter planes on the airfield of Karpathos, able to protect the departure of the Iride.
The Aegean Aviation will thus detach there permanently five of the aircraft of the 162nd Autonomous land fighter squadron, constituted with the nine Fiat CR.32 which arrived in July.

August 2nd, 1940

Rome
- In the late morning, Captain Emilio Ferreri, who still represents the future Ufficio RTSO (Rifornimento, Traffico, Spedizioni Oltremare: Supply, Traffic, Overseas Shipments) of Supermarina, welcomes, not without relief, afirst "temporary" collaborator (according to the memo announcing it), Lieutenant Renato Moracchioli, who is certainly old (46 years old) but all the more experienced. Until the outbreak of the war, he had commanded one of the merchant ships of the Società di Navigazione Anonima Italia. Once the formalities are over, he begins without further ado to inform his interlocutor of what is expected of them.
- Admiral Somigli, Deputy Chief of the Naval Staff, yesterday brought together, in addition to myself and our neighbours from the Operations Office, Admiral Falangola and Admiral Inigo Campioni, accompanied by one of his subordinates, Vice Admiral Marenco di Moriondo [1]. It was the first meeting of this importance since the one held on July 7th, to prepare the Rex convoy [sigh]. We all expected, more or less, that we would be asked to set up a new convoy for North Africa. Well, no! Not Africa, but the Aegean islands, even though Rear Admiral Biancheri was not there [2].
- Why the Dodecanese? It does not seem to be threatened, at least not yet, whereas the situation in Libya, if I believe what one can read between the lines in the newspapers, is... very serious?
- It seems that Governor De Vecchi
[3] has been working like hell and has succeeded in convincing His Excellency the Minister of the Navy [4] [Moracchioli raises his eyebrows] that it was necessary to act preventively to strengthen the resistance capabilities of his islands. It is true that these islands have received little or no supplies since the beginning of the war. They have just had the right to two transports by submarines: one carried out at the end of June by the Atropo, the other by the Corridoni in July. However, there is no question of relying any further on this type of transport. On the one hand, since the failure of July 12th, it is on the submarines that the bulk of Libya's supplies rests upon. On the other hand, De Vecchi got Maricosom to take over offensive mine anchorages in the Eastern Mediterranean with his specialized submarines. At this time, Admiral Falangola has certainly already given orders for a first wave to leave as soon as possible, grouping together all the minelayers which do not supply North Africa. As for me, I had been asked, on July 24th, to think about rotations with small, discreet and relatively fast cargo ships. I had also thought of the Tarquinia...
- I saw it once or twice. With all due respect, it is quite small, Commander!
- You're right. She is discreet, but she is small: she could hardly have carried more than 500 tons on each trip. But that is no longer in season. Or rather, it is: the Tarquinia will be sent to the Dodecanese, but for a one-way trip, to be used for trade with Turkey and even with Greece, if at least the... government doesn't consider it useful to further cloud our relations with this country. The Tarquinia will obviously not make the trip empty. It will be accompanied by the Giorgio Orsini, a requisitioned vessel, which, in addition to the minelaying equipment, will be assigned to the connections between the islands. But this is only an hors d'oeuvre. The main course was to bring to Rhodes or Leros on the one hand the 312th armoured battalion, on the other hand half of the men and all the heavy equipment of the CCIe Black Shirt Legion...
- Why only half the men, commander?
- The transport of the other half would be the responsibility of the Regia Aeronautica, as part of the effort in favor of the Aegean which has been requested of it. The airmen would have proposed a mini air bridge, allowing to show quickly a concrete result. But the serious work will remain ours! In addition to soldiers, weapons and ammunition, it will also be necessary to transport cement to build fortifications, food for our armed forces and civilians, fodder for the animals, clothing and spare parts for the Army and the Air Force. As you can imagine, it is you and I who are counted on for the judicious choice of the merchant buildings to be assigned to the project... which will have to be planned in its smallest details in two days at the latest!
- The time to make a few phone calls to check the availability of boats that may be suitable, you'll have a first list on your desk by this afternoon.
- Great! In any case, let's be honest, our task is a lot easier than that of the Operations Office, which will have to set up an ad hoc escort, find the best route, etc. As for the strength of the escort, the point is not clear-cut: His Excellency the Minister
[Moracchioli allows himself a half-smile] wants us to put the big guns, battleships and all, but Campioni has cold feet: I believe that it is to better "resist" that he had kept the battleship commanders in Taranto [5]. In any case, this time, we hope that Maricosom will be able to hinder the movements of the enemy...
- Speaking of submarines, what danger do those of the French and the English represent?
- In two months, they have not sunk us much, but they are there and they are there. In particular in the Aegean, where there were several alerts in July. But no losses on our side, nor any successes for that matter. Well, let's meet at tea time - oh, sorry, carcadeh
[6]...In the meantime, I'm going to visit our Army counterparts.

[1] Admiral Falangola commands the submarine fleet. Squadron Admiral Campioni commands the 1st Taranto Squadron, whose Division Admiral Alberto Marenco di Moriondo commands the 4th Cruiser Division.
[2] Rear Admiral Luigi Biancheri commands the Naval forces in the Aegean (MariEgeo).
[3] Cesare Maria De Vecchi de Val Cismon, governor of the Aegean islands and commander-in-chief of the military forces in the area (Egeomil), is indeed one of the "quadrumvirs" of the March on Rome and represents the monarchist and moderate wing of fascism.
[4] Benito Mussolini himself.
[5] The Division Admirals (Vice Admirals) Bruto Brivonesi (5th Division: Giulio Cesare and Conte di Cavour) and Carlo Bergamini (9th Division made up of the newly formed Littorio and Vittorio Veneto).
[6] Allusion to the Mussolinian prohibition of English words and habits. Tea is to give way to carcadeh, produced in the territories of the Empire.

August 2nd, 1940

Libya (Cyrenaica)
- While in Tripolitania, the front stabilizes while the French are catching their breath, Bardia is bombed for the first time by Allied aircraft, while the Italian positions close to the Cyrenaica coast are shelled by cruisers from Alexandria.
In the evening, the submarines Enrico Toti and Antonio Sciesa arrive in Benghazi and unload 12 tons of ammunition each, in difficult conditions given the state of the port.

August 2nd, 1940

Southwestern France
- French troops desperately cling to a shrinking perimeter. The front now stretches from what is now known as the Bayonne Fortress to Cambo-les-Bains and the Spanish border.

August 2nd, 1940

Alger
- For the first time, the Havas agency transmits its dispatches, by wire and by radio from its building on the rue d'Isly. They are followed by a "note to subscribers" from Pierre Brossolette: "Circumstances force Havas to leave metropolitan France for some time, as do the French Government and the Armed Forces of our country. Our agency will continue its mission to serve its subscribers and the liberation of France with the two weapons that we all swear it will never lay down, freedom and truth."
These four lines, which have become legendary, are known in the tradition of French journalists as the "Oath of the Rue d'Isly" or sometimes, with a smile, as the "Night of August 2nd".

August 2nd, 1940

North Sea
- The British submarine HMS Spearfish is sunk off the coast of Scotland by its German counterpart U-34, which rescues a single survivor.
For a month, it is a massacre for the British submarines, which are also victims of German aircraft, escort ships and mines. Four other units (Shark, Salmon, Narwhal and Thames) are reported missing, in addition to a dozen others sincethe beginning of the conflict

Off Rockall - The Belgian steamer Ville-de-Gand is sunk by the U-48.

564 - July naval losses, comparaison to OTL
Allied Losses
HMS Whirlwind (W-class destroyer), sunk by U-34 as OTL
HMS Shark (S-class submarine), scuttled off Norway as OTL
HMS Salmon (S-class submarine), mined off Norway as OTL
HMS Escort (E-class destroyer), sunk by MAS-519 during the Battle of Convoy AP.1 (OTL sunk by Italian submarine Marconi a few days earlier)
HMS Phoenix (Parthian-class submarine), sunk by the Italian submarine chaser Albatros as OTL
HMS Imogen (I-class destroyer), accidentally rammed by HMS Glasgow as OTL
MN Bouclier (La Melpomène-class torpedo boat), sunk by Ju-88 off Marseille (OTL survived the war and decom. 1950)
HMS Narwhal (Grampus-class submarine), sunk by German aircraft as OTL
HMS Spearfish (S-class submarine), sunk by U-34 off Scotland as OTL
HMS Thames (River-class submarine), mined in the North Sea as OTL

Axis Losses
MM Emo (Marcello-class submarine), sunk by French vessels off Toulon (OTL sunk during Torch in 1942)
MM Zeffiro (Turbine-class destroyer), sunk by French aircraft in Pantelleria (OTL sunk the same day but in Tobruk by British aircraft)
MM Zoea (Foca-class submarine), sunk by French and British aircraft from HMS Eagle in Tobruk (OTL survived the war, decom. 1947)
MM Balilla (Balilla-class submarine), sunk by French and British aircraft off Tripoli (OTL retired from service in 1941)
MM Neghelli (Adua-class submarine), sunk by French aircraft off Sardinia (OTL sunk by HMS Greyhound in January 1941)
MM Bartolomeo Colleoni (Giussano-class cruiser), sunk by the combined fire of HMS Orion, Neptune, HMAS Sydney and MN Duguay-Trouin during the Naval Battle of Benghazi (OTL sunk a few days later by HMAS Sydney in the Battle of Cape Spada)
MM Nembo (Turbine-class destroyer), sunk by the combined fire of HMS Orion and Havock during the Naval Battle of Benghazi (OTL sunk in a British raid on Tobruk a week later)
MM Ondina (Sirena-class submarine), sunk by the combined effort of MN La Pomone and MN Baliste in the Western Mediterranean (OTL sunk off Cyprus in 1942)
MM Generale Carlo Montanari (Generali-class destroyer), sunk by MN Mogador during the Battle off Olbia (OTL Scuttled in 1944)
MM Medusa (Argonauta-class destroyer), sunk by the MN L’Iphigénie in the Western Mediterranean (OTL sunk in January 1942)
Luchs (Type 24-class torpedo boat) , sunk by the HMS Thames SW of Stavanger as OTL
MM Nani (Marcello-class submarine), mined in the Strait of Messina (OTL depth charged by HMS Anemone in 1941)
MM Iride (Perla-class submarine), sunk by Swordfish of the HMS Eagle in Karpathos (OTL sunk two months later in similar conditions off Cyrenaica)

August 3rd, 1940

Berlin
- Adolf Hitler is disappointed, frustrated even! His forces have invaded almost all of France, but the French government stubbornly refuses to accept its defeat. And this is a real thorn in the side of the Führer, who makes his entourage undergo a long tirade on the embarrassment that this inflicts on the greatest ambitions of the Third Reich!
He assails his entourage with his recriminations, which Joseph Goebbels reports in his diary: "The Wehrmacht is not going to play the nanny of a defeated country by carrying out all the administrative and simple police tasks that the French people should be taking care of! And I am not going to send them thousands of good Germans to keep their economy going, while they will have to pay us enough war reparations to make them not want to stand in the way of the German Reich for all eternity!
And then there are the British! Objectively, they have no reason to continue the war. If the French had asked for an armistice, the English would have already gotten rid of Churchill, we would be negotiating a reasonable agreement and Germany could finally turn to the East, for it is there that she will fulfill her destiny!
Finally, what are we going to tell the Russians, the Americans and the Japanese? That we are continuing the war against a country in Africa? There must however be some French politicians with enough common sense to form a reasonable government, to recognize Germany's victory and to proclaim it to the world!
"
Alas for Hitler, until then, only Jacques Doriot (who had resurfaced a few days earlier in Paris) had acted as a suitable candidate. However, this ex-communist with a complex political background does not inspire any confidence in the Germans.
It is Himmler who got the Führer out of trouble. Indeed, it was his services that received the information concerning the presence in Bagnères, under good guard, of three presentable French politicians - a former President of the Council, Pierre Laval, a former Minister of Foreign Affairs, Pierre-Etienne Flandin, and a well-known deputy, Marcel Déat. This is what it takes to build a French government that was finally "reasonable". The order is immediately given to send the three men to Paris, where a fine diplomat, both a convinced Nazi and with a good knowledge of France, would supervise them: Otto Abetz, who is already there! He can also count on two other influential deputies, Gaston Bergery and Georges Bonnet, in addition to Doriot, whom the retired Frenchmen had "forgotten" in their Bordeaux prison (again, no doubt thanks to certain complicities), and on various orphans of the Maréchal who will not fail to come prowling, attracted by the smell of glory.

August 3rd, 1940

Sardinia
- Encouraged by the absence of new air attacks against the ports of northeastern Sardinia, the Regia Marina agrees to make a new attempt to reinforce and supply the defenders of the island through Olbia: this is even the first important task entrusted to Commander Ferreri, who has just been appointed to head a still unofficial RTSO. This time he assembles a convoy in the port of Livorno, including the passenger transport vessel Bengasi (1,716 GRT), the cargo ship Ugo Bassi (2,900 GRT) and the mixed cargo ship Città di Livorno (2,471 GRT), on which 653 "specialists" (artillerymen, engineers, etc.) are to travel. The escort is entrusted to the two intact units of the 2nd Destroyer Division (the Papa and Chinotto) and the two units of the 3rd Destroyer Division detached from Naples to La Spezia (the Giacinto Carini and Giuseppe La Masa). The convoy is to arrive in Olbia at nightfall, unload during the night and leave again at dawn. Also two modern torpedo boats of the 10th Division, the Vega and Sagittario (Spica class), are sent from La Spezia to hunt, with the support of some seaplanes, the submarines that might be on the lookout in the Livorno area.
In fact, these precautionary measures prevent the submarine Monge (L.V. Douenel), on patrol along the Tuscan coast, from spotting the departure of the convoy, at 05:58 (Italian time).
However, it cannot escape a Martin 167 of the GR I/61, based in Calvi, which sees it at around 16:30, when its destination can no longer be doubted. As there are hardly any
specialized anti-ship aircraft in Corsica, apart from the Laté-298s from Aspretto (whose number was increased to four after the events of July 18th), the French decide to wait to attack the convoy until it has reached its destination.
22:50 (GMT+2) - The convoy arrives in Olbia.
23:21 - While the landing of the men is well underway, and the unloading of equipment and goods has barely begun, the port of Olbia is attacked by nine DB-7 bombers of the GB II/61 from Ajaccio. In the darkness, this first raid misses the ships but causes losses in the ranks of the reinforcements and interrupts the unloading operations.
23:44 - New raid, this time by ten DB-7 bombers of the GB II/32 (also based in Ajaccio). This time, things did not go so well for the Italians: the cargo ship Ugo Bassi is... stoned by the stones torn from the quay by bombs that fell nearby, while one of the ships damaged on July 18th, the Egle, is sunk. Some projectiles stray on the side of the 4th MAS squadron's mooring and a close impact causes a leak in the MAS-504.

August 3rd, 1940

Malta
- Warmly welcomed by the British sailors and in particular by the submariners, but also by the Maltese population, the "630 tons" of the 16th DSM (Amazone, Antiope, Orphée, La Sibylle), arriving from Casablanca via Oran, enter the port of Valletta. The supply ship Jules-Verne is waiting for them to serve as a support ship. Their group is joined the next day by the Narval, one of the "1,100 tons" of the 11th DSM: Since targets are rare along the Tripolitan coast, its commander, L.V. Drogou, asks for the honor of f being deployed with the British Malta Flotilla and to be able to go hunting with it on the Adriatic coast.

August 3rd, 1940

Alexandria
-Thanks to the assurances given by Churchill on July 24th, General de Larminat has, two days later, met with Wavell to settle the question of the reinforcements deemed necessary for the successful completion of Cordite. Nevertheless, Churchill's instructions or not, the reception given to the French request by the head of the Commonwealth's armed forces in the Middle East was less definitive: in essence, he has nothing on hand that is not essential to the the attack in Cyrenaica.
A week later, however, the Frenchman is handed the solution to his problems on a a silver platter. Word of his approach, which spread far beyond Wavell's office, found a sympathetic ear: that of General Freyberg, commander of the New Zealand Division, or for that matter the elements of it present in Egypt. Indeed, his men were not to be engaged in the next offensive, but found themselves in a somewhat humiliating role of maintaining order. Freyberg therefore went to the French and offered them his help.
Thus, on that first weekend in August, the New Zealander and the Frenchman, supporting each other, wreste from General Wavell the participation in Cordite and its eventual sub-operations of the 4th New Zealand Infantry Brigade.

Status
Not open for further replies.