• Green = New York
  • Yellow-Green = Connecticut
  • Orange = Rhode Island
  • Yellow = Massachusetts
  • Maroon = New Hampshire
  • Blue = New Scotland
  • Turquoise = Newfoundland
  • Purple-Blue = Laurentia
  • Red = Part of Commonwealth, but not part of a Province.

The New Nation
Part 16: The New Nation

So, the Commonwealth of America was now a semi-independent nation, using the Plan of Union as the basis. The American Parliament, based out of Albany, New York, had a President-General that was appointed and supported by the Crown. The Parliament was comprised of Delegates appointed by the Assemblies of each of the Thirteen Colonies (that number was soon to expand), roughly proportional to the Colony’s population, although with a cap to make sure that things didn’t get out of hand. The American Parliament would have a veto on taxation and tariffs passed in the British Parliament, and would have to approve of any taxation or tariffs on America. At the time of the Commonwealth’s autonomy, Albany was a town of about 4,500 people (larger than IOTL) and had been a center of colonial politics for some time by 1776, and the Albanians (not to be confused with the country in Southeastern Europe) were thrilled to become the new Capital. Initially, the Parliament met in a smaller structure, with plans for both an expansive Parliament Building and a luxurious Château for the President-General in the books.

Speaking of the President-General, the first P.G. was none other than Benjamin Franklin, who had spend much of his time in London, and was one of the most accomplished men of his time, while notable Delegates included Thomas Jefferson of Virginia, John Adams of Massachusetts and Robert Anderson of Laurentia (an fictional figure from this TL that I will do a post on). Early issues in the country included the balance of power between the National Parliament and Local Assemblies, Taxes/Tariffs and, of course, Slavery (slavery will be abolished earlier ITTL unless the British conquer the Mississippi River Valley from the French).

An issue that wasn’t controversial, though, was expansion. Pretty much everyone in the American Parliament was for expansion westward into unsettled territories, with Virginians and Pennsylvanians wanting to expand into the Ohio River Valley, while New Englanders and Laurentians wanting to expand into the Great Lakes region. However, the crown demanded that land deals be made with the Natives before settlers arrive, with deals being made with tribes around the Great Lakes. Soon, Anglo-American settlers were crossing the Appalachians and moving down the Saint Lawrence and Odawa Rivers by the tens of thousands, establishing towns such as Belleville, Ochaway, Portage and Erie. The numbers of Anglos moving westward were supplemented by immigrants from Europe, whom at this point were primarily British, but were also joined by some Germans and Irishmen. The new Commonwealth also worked on infrastructure, building the Hudson Road from Mount Royal to New York City, passing through Albany, as well as planning a new Canal from Lake Erie to the Hudson River. The population of British America by 1800 had reached over 3 Million, and was growing rapidly with a high birth rate and increasing immigration from the Old World, and it this point it seems as though the potential of the American Commonwealth is boundless...

So, a major OTL event is fast approaching ITTL, let's talk about the French Revolution.
The French Revolution had a variety of causes, but the major ones are debts accrued from the Seven Years War (still a thing) and the American Revolution (butterflied), a tax system that gave privileges to the Clergy and Nobility, while putting the burden on the Peasants and growing Urban Middle Class (still relevant here), the spread of Enlightenment Ideas (yup), corrupt and ineffective governance (yes) and a mixture of ill-handled agricultural liberalization (let's assume that still occurs) and failed harvests in the Late 1780s (it's the weather, of course it's still applicable here). With that in mind, the French Revolution initially wanted a British-style Constitutional Monarchy, but the small segment that wanted an American-inspired Republic won out, and without a Republican Revolution in America, that inspiration might not exist here. With all this in mind, I've set up a poll on what happens in France, linked down below. Whatever you guys choose will have a massive effect on the world from there on out, as the French Revolution is likely the single most influential event of the last 250 years. Without further ado, the polls are open, let's a vote!
https://www.strawpoll.me/17698758

I think you chose wisely in having British America remain a Dominion in a North America where France still has a significant presence. You will also find that the circumstances leading up to the French Revolution (if any) enormously different as the combination of (i) not having bankrolled an American Revolution or war with Britain; and (ii) having a prosperous largely plantation based North American colony; will leave the French Crown significantly less financially embarrassed. The finances are still untenable without reform but the issue will be less pressing than OTL.

A poll on who colonizes Australia
https://www.strawpoll.me/17698407

I generaly love the idea of a Dutch Australia (and that is what I voted for). The thing is, I don't think the Netherlands would be able to colonise all of Australia. Just western Australia is possible, even relatively like, since it is near the routes from South Africa towards the Dutch East Indies, but all of it is probably too big. Even for a Dutch Western Australia, you need a different colonial mindset from the Dutch. Which I guess is possible if both France as well as Great Britain have major settlement colonies.

So, here's the Australian Poll so far:
  • The leading choice is Multiple Colonizers, at 6 Votes, or 40% (including my vote), so I think it's safe to say that Australia will be colonized by more than one European power ITTL.
  • The leading individual country is Portugal at 3 Votes, or 20%. Portugal has their colony in Timor to use as a base to colonize Northern Australia, so I think it's most likely that Portugal would colonize the Northern Territory and Northern Queensland. The Northeast Coast of Queensland is quite a good sugar growing area, and Portugal could easily recruit indentured labor from Indonesia, India and the Pacific to work on the plantations, with a Portuguese upper class and possibly other European immigrants (Italians, Spaniards etc.)
  • The second place among individual countries is a tie between the Netherlands and France, each at 2 Votes. For the Dutch, it's quite obvious where they'd colonize: Western Australia. The Dutch had already explored the coast of Western Australia, and while they did find it quite useless, once gold is discovered in other parts of the continent they may find it more worthwhile. For France, it'd likely be South Australia, Tasmania or parts of Victoria, as the French had explored those areas (South Australia being the most likely IMO). Also, Tasmania may just be the place with the weirdest wildlife in the world IMO (that or New Zealand), considering that it's been isolated from the Australian mainland for thousands of years, which itself has been isolated from the world for millions of years, and as a result has marsupial wolves (which unfortunately went extinct in the 1930s IOTL) and miniature bears (which are unfortunately endangered right now IOTL). Tasmania is really a toss-up between the French, Dutch and British, and speaking of the British...
  • Britain has 1 Vote, but I do think it is likely that the British still send convicts Down Under ITTL, considering that the American Colonies were not taking kindly to the continued arrival of convicts, and the British wanted to get this Motley Crew as far away as they possibly could from Home Sweet Home, and Australia just happened to be that location. I think the Brits would at the very least colonize New South Wales, as well as probably Southern Queensland and at least the Eastern part of Victoria, but not the entire continent like IOTL.
  • The "Other" category has one vote as well, and that could be something like Germany, Italy, Russia, Japan or Sweden, IDK.
  • Spain did not receive a single vote, but considering the significant possibility that Spain doesn't lose their Colonies in the Americas ITTL, that's not a big loss for the Spaniards.
  • This poll could apply to New Zealand, for that matter, so New Zealand will likely be Dutch, French or British, as those countries all explored and showed interest in Australia's Canada at one point.

Last edited:
I generaly love the idea of a Dutch Australia (and that is what I voted for). The thing is, I don't think the Netherlands would be able to colonise all of Australia. Just western Australia is possible, even relatively like, since it is near the routes from South Africa towards the Dutch East Indies, but all of it is probably too big. Even for a Dutch Western Australia, you need a different colonial mindset from the Dutch. Which I guess is possible if both France as well as Great Britain have major settlement colonies.
Dutch Western Australia would be RICH once they discovered the MASSIVE iron reserves in the Pilbara region (1/4 of the world's iron is located in Western Australia).

When it comes to the French Revolution poll, the Constitutional Monarchy option has 5 out of the 6 votes so far, so I think it's safe that France will be a Constitutional Monarchy ITTL.

Another region to talk about: Patagonia
Patagonia, while claimed by Spain, was uncolonized until the Mid-Late 19th Century IOTL, thus leaving room for anyone from Britain to The Netherlands to France to even Sweden to colonize it.
Patagonia could be called "Southway", as it's basically a Southern Norway, at least in Tierra Del Fuego.
imageresizer

Hardangerfjord in Norway
beagle-channel_1800x1000.jpg

Beagle Channel in Tierra Del Fuego

I think you chose wisely in having British America remain a Dominion in a North America where France still has a significant presence. You will also find that the circumstances leading up to the French Revolution (if any) enormously different as the combination of (i) not having bankrolled an American Revolution or war with Britain; and (ii) having a prosperous largely plantation based North American colony; will leave the French Crown significantly less financially embarrassed. The finances are still untenable without reform but the issue will be less pressing than OTL.
France gave up Martinique and Gaudeloupe to the British in exchange for keeping Louisiana. Now, Louisiana is a climate where sugarcane can grow, but it'd take a while for Louisiana to become as profitable as Guadeloupe and Martinique.

That is true but there is a much greater acreage/hectarage of land to be sold off or awarded in grants in lieu in Louisiane than on a relatively small island. Unlike Guadeloupe or Martinique it is a gift which will keep on giving

That is true but there is a much greater acreage/hectarage of land to be sold off or awarded in grants in lieu in Louisiane than on a relatively small island. Unlike Guadeloupe or Martinique it is a gift which will keep on giving
Ahh, the classic dilemma of short term vs long term.

Update on the Australia Vote:
23 Votes so far.
Multiple Colonizers. 8 Votes
Portugal. 4 Votes
Britain and France. 3 Votes Each
Netherlands and Spain. 2 Votes Each
Other. 1 Vote