Gabingston

Kicked
Baye Sainte-Rose, 10 Octobre 2018
Sandbags line the streets that are usually lined with tourists and windows that usually show gifts and souvenirs now only show boards of wood. The town is nearly abandoned, as thr strongest hurricane to hit the region in 13 years is about to slam the area...

Last edited:

Gabingston

Kicked
On another note, how racist will La Floride become? It'll be racist, sure, but without the "you're either black or white, no in between" racial policy of the Jim Crow South (the French had a three level system of Whites, Creoles and Blacks, so you won't have Noirs that are 40% White like how many African Americans IOTL have large amounts of European (mainly from the British Isles) ancestry (causes ranging from indentured servants and slaves having kids to slave owners raping their slaves) (BTW you'd have to be a special type of douchebag to not just be a rapist but also ENSLAVE YOUR OWN F***ING CHILD!). Anyway, it's pretty hard to beat the Jim Crow South in terms of racism, but a multi-leveled racial system didn't make Brazil any less racist, and neither did both slave and free man going to the same churches. On the other hand, there were biracial creoles who rose to high status, so it could go either way.
Let the flamewar begin!
BTW Southern Pride, no disrespect intended.

Gabingston

Kicked
UB83Jef.gif

Map of European Settlement in North America as of 1700.

On another note, how racist will La Floride become? It'll be racist, sure, but without the "you're either black or white, no in between" racial policy of the Jim Crow South (the French had a three level system of Whites, Creoles and Blacks, so you won't have Noirs that are 40% White like how many African Americans IOTL have large amounts of European (mainly from the British Isles) ancestry (causes ranging from indentured servants and slaves having kids to slave owners raping their slaves) (BTW you'd have to be a special type of douchebag to not just be a rapist but also ENSLAVE YOUR OWN F***ING CHILD!). Anyway, it's pretty hard to beat the Jim Crow South in terms of racism, but a multi-leveled racial system didn't make Brazil any less racist, and neither did both slave and free man going to the same churches. On the other hand, there were biracial creoles who rose to high status, so it could go either way.
Let the flamewar begin!
BTW Southern Pride, no disrespect intended.

I mean, looking at French colonies, your scope runs from Haiti to Louisiana. My suspicion is that the French Caribbean is the most approximate model for the plantation-heavy regions, in the same way, and for many of the same reasons, Barbados was such a formative influence on OTL South Carolina.

Where things get interesting is the OTL Carolina back-country, where TTL's voyagers will settle. Who are they? Where in France do they come from? How many of them are there? What percentage are escaped slaves, and how do escaped slaves integrate into voyager society, if at all? Are they Catholic or Huguenot? And what's their relationship with the African, mixed-race and planter class populations? That's going to determine the answer to a lot of your questions on race, I think.

Gabingston

Kicked
I mean, looking at French colonies, your scope runs from Haiti to Louisiana. My suspicion is that the French Caribbean is the most approximate model for the plantation-heavy regions, in the same way, and for many of the same reasons, Barbados was such a formative influence on OTL South Carolina.

Where things get interesting is the OTL Carolina back-country, where TTL's voyagers will settle. Who are they? Where in France do they come from? How many of them are there? What percentage are escaped slaves, and how do escaped slaves integrate into voyager society, if at all? Are they Catholic or Huguenot? And what's their relationship with the African, mixed-race and planter class populations? That's going to determine the answer to a lot of your questions on race, I think.
Well they're Catholic for one. The French still ban Huguenot settlement in their colonies ITTL. Also, most come from the west coast of France as of now, especially from the areas around Bordeaux, La Rochelle and Nantes.

Part 10: This TL Is Back

Gabingston

Kicked
Part 10: This TL Is Back

Ignore the two month hiatus, I will be occasionally doing updates to this TL. Anyway, allons-y!

Anyway, we’re back in the Early 18th century, and in the colonial era of North America. The population of French Florida is about 50,000, although 35% were African slaves, while the population of English Canada is 52,340 and the population of Nova Scotia is 40,000. It just so happened that as soon as the new century started, a new war had broken out. You see, in 1701, the Spanish King Charles “I’m really, really inbred” the 2nd died, likely due to complications from the aforementioned inbreeding, and the French king’s grandson Philipp was the heir to the throne. However, disputes over the Spanish and French crowns emerged, and the Habsburgs weren’t so ready to give up the Spanish throne, and thus the War of Spanish Succession had begun…

The war, while mainly fought in Europe, also saw fighting in North America, as the English sided with Austria against France. The war in North America took the form of Queen Anne’s War, a conflict over the control of the North American continent between the English on one side and the French and Spaniards on the other. Militias from Virginia fought French soldiers stationed in La Floride, and battles took place on the high seas.

In the end, not a whole lot happened, and the preexisting borders were largely maintained. In total, about 300 French colonists died during the war, as most of the deaths were either of soldiers or of allied native tribes. About 1,250 British colonists died, including 150 Canadians and 125 Nova Scotians. In the end, the North American Theatre of the War of Spanish Succession was basically a draw, with neither side coming out on top. Back in Europe, the result was a bit… complicated. Phillip kept his status as King of Spain, but in return had to revoke his claim to the French crown. Spain ceded its territory in the Low Countries and Italy to Austria.

Last edited:
I just found this timeline and I'm eager to see where it goes. Especially what the northern border between French and English colonies(or independent countries) will end up being. How far west could the French realistically expand, all the way to Pacific, or stick to Gulf coast of Texas?

Gabingston

Kicked
I just found this timeline and I'm eager to see where it goes. Especially what the northern border between French and English colonies(or independent countries) will end up being. How far west could the French realistically expand, all the way to Pacific, or stick to Gulf coast of Texas?
That is to be revealed in the future. BTW, an update is in progress.

Part 11: Early 18th Century

Gabingston

Kicked
Part 11: Early 18th Century

With the War of Spanish Succession over, we now resume peacetime in the Early 18th Century. By the war’s end in 1715, the population of the Colony of Canada had grown to 81,550 with settlement dipping slightly due to the war, but the birth rate remaining high as ever. Settlers continued to spread out around the Saint Lawrence River Valley, migrating up the Williams River towards Lake Pibago, founding the town of Falton at a set of rapids along the river. Falton grew quickly, due to it’s strategic location at the furthest navigable location upstream along the Williams River, while also being near Mount Royal. Other towns founded during the Early 18th century included Rockford, Arabasca, Shecootimee and Moose Point. The fur trade on the frontier was the main source of wealth for the Canada colony, with fur traders, mainly of Gaelic origin, exploring as far as the confluence of the Red and Asiniboyan rivers. The other prevalent economic sectors of Colonial Canada were agriculture (wheat, barley, corn etc.), forestry and shipbuilding, with the shipyards of Kirkeston being among the largest in the British Empire.

Meanwhile, in La Floride, the French population grew to just under 38,000 by the end of Queen Anne’s War, with a major colonial push occuring after the war. Between 1715 and 1730, over 5,000 Frenchmen settled in La Floride, the largest amount settling to farm on the frontier, as well as the largest settlement push in the history of the colony up to that point, as the colonial authorities began to encourage more immigration after Queen Anne’s War. This was in part to increase defenses against the English and lessen the population disparity, but a more cynical motivation: to keep the slave population a minority. Nonetheless, after the main settlement boom, immigration still remained in the hundreds per year. Settlers came from not just French-speaking regions, but also from French-controlled Alsace and the French Basque Country. With this increase in settlement, the White population of La Floride increased to 85,000 by 1740.

Last edited:
Part 12: Man, I Really Suck At Coming Up With Titles

Gabingston

Kicked
Part 12: Man, I Really Suck At Coming Up With Titles

By the Year of Our Lord 1740, it has been a quarter century since the end of Queen Anne’s War, and tensions between the British and the French in North America are building up again. The British continue to gain influence throughout the Great Lakes and Ohio River Valley, while the French expand along the Gulf Coast and the Lower Mississippi Basin. Settlers continue to pour down the Saint Lawrence and Kichisipi Rivers, including a significant amount of German and Scottish settlers, with towns such as Pine Falls and Petawawa being established by. Speaking of Scotland, the colony of Nova Scotia has spread far enough to come into contact with the New England colony to the South, with the border being set along the Penobscot River. The Scots expanded onto the nearby island of Epegwed, with the two main settlements on the island being St. Andrews and Annestown. There were also settlements along the Saint John’s River such as Welamuco and along the coast such as Machias and Conasamuc.

The Scots also expanded along the Gulf of Saint Lawrence to New Inverness and Nipisigy. By 1740, the Nova Scotian population had expanded to just under 130,000, with the largest city being Saint John at 6,700 inhabitants. Canada’s population in 1740 was just above 170,000, with Kirkeston being the largest city in North America with 12,500 residents.

Gabingston

Kicked
Ok, now it's time to talk about Australia and New Zealand, and more specifically who colonizes it. The British, Dutch and French were the main European powers involved in exploring the Land Down Under, and all three made claims in Australia and New Zealand. France already has their settler colony with La Floride, and the American Revolution (or something along those lines) might be butterflied ITTL (I'll make a strawpoll of that), although convicts might still be sent down under. The Dutch were never very interested in colonizing Australia, as they only explored the rather useless Western Part and Tasmania (or Van Diemen's Land). However, I think it is inevitable that some European power(s) would colonize the land where women glow and men plunder at some point during the 19th century, after all, it was the golden age of European imperialism. Share your thoughts.

Part 13: La Louisiane

Gabingston

Kicked
Part 13: La Louisiane

Now, to La Floride. As mentioned in the previous update, France continued to expand its influence and reach along the Gulf of Mexico and Lower Mississippi valley, establishing the colonies of Zarazote, Fort Crevecoeur, Fort Saint-Pierre, Fort Sabine, Port Saint-Hyacinthe and Port Des Bras. While there’d been a brief attempt to settle the Lower Mississippi between La Nouvelle-Orléans and Bâton Rouge in the Late 1710s, the company that had organized the colonization went broke in 1721, and The Mississippi was put on the backburner. In the 1740s and 50s, though, the Mississippi was back in the spotlight, as between 1740 and 1755, thousands of settlers went La Louisiane (as well as several thousand African slaves... what you thought I was just gonna gloss over the dark side of history). While the plantation economy of Louisiane paled in comparison to the French money bucket of Saint-Domingue, many still got rich off of plantations in the Mississippi valley (and many, many more unfortunate souls were enslaved doing so). Despite that, most settlers in La Louisiane were simple farmers growing crops for their family (and many died of disease early on, as with colonists in La Floride a century prior).

Speaking of La Floride, there was a military conflict between the British and French from 1744-48, with the results being inconclusive. Nearly a thousand Floridians died in the war, mainly in the border regions near British Virginia, while immigration during the war slowed down significantly. After the war was over, immigration to the New World resumed, with the White population of the French North American colonies growing to slightly under 134,000 by 1755. By 1755, however, a new conflict was brewing between the Great Powers of Europe, and this conflict was sure to erupt in North America as well...

Gabingston

Kicked
OK, I've hit a conundrum.
There were two primary causes for the Seven Years' War: Austria wishing to gain back Silesia from the Prussians (still relevant ITTL), and the border disputes and skirmishes between the British and French in North America centered around the Ohio River Valley (not relevant ITTL, at least with the Ohio Valley). I'm sure a war in Europe would spill over into North America, but I have no how the war would go, and what the conditions after the war would be (American Revolution, France's Economic Conditions etc.). Please share your thoughts.