Part 49: Aloha
Part 49: Aloha

The Hawaiian Islands, an archipelago of well over 100 mainly volcanic islands is the most important landmass between Asia and The Americas. Originally settled by Polynesians around 900 AD, the first European to stumble across these islands was Captain James Cook, who’s second visit to the islands went quite badly, ending with Cook attempting to abduct the king and getting killed. Despite that incident, Anglo-Hawaiian relations continued, and British influence over the islands steadily grew. Aside from a brief attempt by the Russians of all people to colonize one of the islands, British influence went rather uncontested. British and Anglo-American Christian missionaries of various denominations also arrived in Hawaii, converting many of the locals. The Royal Navy frequented the port of Pearl Harbor as a supply station on their trans-Pacific voyages. However, the biggest impact that the Brits had on Hawaii was the influx of investments from both Britain and America, namely in one extremely lucrative crop…

In the colonial Carribbean, Sugarcane had been the most lucrative cash crop, making the landowning elite immensely wealthy at the expense of the masses of slaves that grew and harvested the crop. Given the tropical climate and fertile volcanic soil of Hawaii, the British investors figured that they could make a butt-ton of money off of sweet, sweet sugar. The influx of sugar money to the island had… mixed results to say the least. On the plus side, new infrastructure was built and jobs were created, but on the other hand, many native Hawaiians lost their land and were now under the thumb of the sugar moguls. I’ll talk more about Hawaii in the future, but this is basically a filler update for my coming update on Europe. So, let’s get to that, shall we?

Europe in 1860
ECFC Europe 1860.png

Europe in 1860
Western Europe:
  • The British Isles are fully under the control of the United Kingdom.
  • Belgium does not exist, rather the country is split between the Netherlands and France.
  • Luxembourg is part of France.
Southern Europe:
  • Iberia is pretty much the same.
  • Britain controls Gibraltar, and Spain has the North African exclaves of Ceuta, Melilla and Oran.
  • Italy is not unified, but rather split between Sardinia Piedmont (Dark Tan), Naples (Purple), Tuscany (Gold), Venice (Brown) and The Papal State (Light Tan). Malta is under the control of the Knights Templar, and South Tyrol is part of the Habsburg Empire.
  • Greece is now independent, while the rest of the Balkans are still under the control of the Ottomans.
Central Europe:
  • Northern Germany has consolidated under Prussian Rule, while Southern Germany has also consolidated under Bavarian Rule.
  • The Habsburg Empire is the dominant power in Central Europe, spanning from OTL Ukraine in the East to Croatia in the West.
  • The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth still exists, and serves as a buffer state between Prussia, the Habsburgs and Russia.
  • Switzerland is as neutral as ever, just chilling out in the mountains.
Eastern Europe:
  • R U S S I A
Northern Europe:
  • Denmark controls Schleswig-Holstein, Norway and Iceland, while Sweden controls Finland.

Hey guys, I think it's about time that Europe has another war. Any suggestions on the trigger, which side each country would take etc.?

Not sure about the trigger, but I see south Germany allied with hapsburg Empire. Russia is probably fighting the hapsburg empire and the polish Lithuanian commonwealth. Sardinia piedmont is probably fighting the hapsburg realm over southern Tyrol.

Not sure about the trigger, but I see south Germany allied with hapsburg Empire. Russia is probably fighting the hapsburg empire and the polish Lithuanian commonwealth. Sardinia piedmont is probably fighting the hapsburg realm over southern Tyrol.
Sardinia-Piedmont doesn't border the Habsburgs, Venice controls a narrow strip of land between S-P and South Tyrol.

Sardinia-Piedmont doesn't border the Habsburgs, Venice controls a narrow strip of land between S-P and South Tyrol.
That it does. I missed that. Perhaps that sparks a war, s p trying to unify Italy ruffles some feathers.

Is this giant European War going to be what pushes the habsburg realm into a revolution?

That it does. I missed that. Perhaps that sparks a war, s p trying to unify Italy ruffles some feathers.

Is this giant European War going to be what pushes the habsburg realm into a revolution?
On another note, any ideas on who Britain, France, Prussia/North Germany and The Ottomans side with?

On another note, any ideas on who Britain, France, Prussia/North Germany and The Ottomans side with?
Great Britain is probably gunning for Russia. Great game and all that. The Ottomans and Russia don't get along (For a host of reasons), so I can see Great Britain coming to their aid in war against the Bear.

France is more of a toss up, depending on which side plays into her ambition/interests more.

Prussia? Hm... probably with Russia against the Austrians.

Great Britain is probably gunning for Russia. Great game and all that. The Ottomans and Russia don't get along (For a host of reasons), so I can see Great Britain coming to their aid in war against the Bear.

France is more of a toss up, depending on which side plays into her ambition/interests more.

Prussia? Hm... probably with Russia against the Austrians.
So, we've got this so far:
Side A: Habsburgs, South Germany, Poland-Lithuania, Britain, Ottomans
Side B: Russia, Sardinia-Piedmont, Prussia
My thoughts:
France (and thus their Bourbon allies Spain and Naples) is so far undecided, but considering their age old rivalry with Britain and their previous bœufs with the Habsburgs, I'm leaning towards Russia. Portugal is allied with Britain, so they likely join Side A. Greece sides with Russia out of gratitude for their help in the independence war, common Orthodox faith and shared disdain for the Turk. I still haven't decided on who Denmark/Norway, Sweden/Finland, Venice and Tuscany side with. The two for-sure neutral countries are The Papal State (the Pope doesn't like getting involved in petty squabbles like this) and Switzerland (duh).

Sides of the First Global War (assuming there will be a second).
  • Side A: Habsburgs, South Germany, Poland-Lithuania, Britain/Colonies, Ottomans, Portugal/Colonies and Greece.
  • Side B: Russia, Sardinia-Piedmont, North Germany (Prussia), France/Colonies, Spain/Colonies and Naples.

I'm gonna have to come up with some names for the sides of the war (like the Central Powers and Entente in WW1 and Axis and Allies in WW2), thinking of something like "Coalition" and "Alliance".

Here's how I think the theatres (using the fancy spelling here) of the First Global War will go:
  • Europe: Toss-up, I'll leave that to you guys.
  • North America: Side A victory, the British manpower and industrial advantage is overwhelming.
  • South America: Toss-up, Brazil is huge, but so is Spanish South America (expect most fighting to be in the Rio De La Plata and Uruguay, though).
  • Africa: Toss-up, I don't know enough about Africa.
  • India: Side A victory, Britain got the best parts.
  • Australia: Side A victory, see India and North America.
  • East Asia: Toss-up, the Russians have reached the Pacific by then and the Spanish still have the Philippines, but the Royal Navy is the best in the world.

I've got an idea for the war:
Russia attempts to expand into Poland, Austria comes to Poland's aid and it spirals out of control from there.

Part 50: The Global War Part 1
Part 50: The Global War Part 1: The Gathering Storm
Europe during the 19th Century had been a strangely calm place. By 1860, there hadn’t been a continent-spanning conflict since the Seven Years’ War a century prior. While there had been smaller conflicts like the Greek Revolution and Franco-Austrian war, those were regionalized and didn’t affect the whole of Europe. However, Europe by the Mid 19th Century could be described as a powder keg waiting to blow. The British were concerned over the increasing power of the French and Prussian navies, Austria and Russia had border disputes and the Balkans were as messed up as ever. All it would take is one wrong move, and it would quickly turn really ugly…

The Russian Empire had ambitions to expand further into Europe, particularly into Poland-Lithuania, whose eastern fringe primarily spoke East Slavic languages (Belarusian and Ukrainian) and followed the Eastern Orthodox faith, in contrast to the West Slavic/Baltic and Catholic heartland of the Polish-Lithuanian commonwealth. Russia also desired expansion further south along the Black Sea into Moldavia, Wallachia and Bulgaria, areas that were currently under Ottoman control.

In the Summer of 1866 (I desperately wanted to make it the Summer of 1869, but I decided not to), the bottle of Coke and Mentos that was Europe finally burst, as border skirmishes between Poland-Lithuania and Russia broke out, prompting the Russian Emperor to declare war on Poland. Austria came to Poland’s aid, as did the Ottoman Empire, thus creating a quite awkward alliance, considering the history that the Turks had with Austria and Poland. Prussia, wanting a piece of the Polish pie intervened on the side of Russia, as did France due to their rivalry with the Habsburgs (thus bringing Spain, Sardinia Piedmont and Naples into the war as well). Britain, wary of the growing power of the French and Prussian navies and of course fearful of growing Russian expansionism into Central Asia sided with Poland and Austria (Portugal also joined with Britain due to their centuries-old alliance). Thus, the stage was set, and the Global War had begun…

The Coalition: Russia, Prussia, France, Spain, Naples, Greece and Sardinia-Piedmont

The Alliance: Poland-Lithuania, Austria, Ottoman Empire, Britain, Portugal and South Germany

I voted that the Alliance would win every theater except South America, so that there would at least be something to negotiate over at the peace conference instead of one side just taking a complete bath