Every piece to put together the bicycle has been assembled, everything from cheap steel to gears. Now all they need is someone putting a pedal to the wheel to supercharge inland transportation with the extensive road infrastructure already laid across the Empire. Tricycles taxi, cargo bikes and something like the Chukudu are almost inevitable with that kind of urbanization.

Printing new scientific advances on public boards is a great way to inspire average citizens to experiment on their own.

How much of northern Mexico have the Romans taken? I assume they'd want as narrowed a border as possible against a strong state. Although it'll be an expansive initial investment since it's arid, with sufficient aqueducts and windmills the area could be made productive.

Speaking of the Old World, how is Commodus seen? He's the last emperor to travel to Elysium. I remember that there is a statue of him somewhere around the inner territories of Elysium. And if the Old World sees Elysium as mythological as Atlantis, how do they regard Commodus' claims of going there, conquering, and then holding a triumph for the victorious generals and captured native americans? A grand charade meant to make people like him more? Man are all those historians gonna have to take a double serving of humble pie if that happens.

How are diseases like in Elysium? Did smallpox and typhus make it over to the New World?
Some diseases made it over. There was a plague which killed many Elysians and I am such many natives died as well. That was most likely due to an exchange of diseases. I am not sure about about smallpox, bit hygiene is very important in Elysium, so it wouldn't quite as bad.

The Elysians will most likely not have a true problem with overpopulation for the next few hundred years. They simply have far too much space for that to happen. It would be interesting though, if they reconquered Rome/Italy and settled a million+ Elysians there. Not that I would touch the old world with a stick, if I was an Elysian.

How much of northern Mexico have the Romans taken? I assume they'd want as narrowed a border as possible against a strong state. Although it'll be an expansive initial investment since it's arid, with sufficient aqueducts and windmills the area could be made productive.
They maintain a border line along the Rio Grande, imagine it as a Rhine during Roman times. Extremely fortified with lines of forts with semi-automatic artillery and ballista positions and with messengers ready to bolt at the slightest movement of troops across the river.
Speaking of the Old World, how is Commodus seen? He's the last emperor to travel to Elysium. I remember that there is a statue of him somewhere around the inner territories of Elysium. And if the Old World sees Elysium as mythological as Atlantis, how do they regard Commodus' claims of going there, conquering, and then holding a triumph for the victorious generals and captured native americans? A grand charade meant to make people like him more? Man are all those historians gonna have to take a double serving of humble pie if that happens.
Except for Elysium, Comodo lived IRL. An emperor prone to his own enjoyment without interest in the administrative tasks that his position entailed and who followed the trend throughout his reign of promoting the rise of his favorites, which led to assassination attempts and coups that were totally defeated. effectiveness by people loyal to him or Praetorians. But to Elysium he is seen as a Fearless Father of the Nation. I need say i was inspired a bit by Draka Domination fanfics when i write that moments.

Some diseases made it over. There was a plague which killed many Elysians and I am such many natives died as well. That was most likely due to an exchange of diseases. I am not sure about about smallpox, bit hygiene is very important in Elysium, so it wouldn't quite as bad.
Elysium applied numerous hygiene and medical projects, but even so that does not prevent them from being immune and a high network of roads and communications including delivery of supplies such as food, also favors a higher rate of spread. The best known example is the Black Death which was spread mostly along Europe's main trade routes when Genoese traders from Crimea fled the Golden Horde and brought plague with them.
The Elysians will most likely not have a true problem with overpopulation for the next few hundred years. They simply have far too much space for that to happen. It would be interesting though, if they reconquered Rome/Italy and settled a million+ Elysians there. Not that I would touch the old world with a stick, if I was an Elysian.
I'll be honest. Elysium tried to conquer America rather than return militarily to Europe. The situation would be comparable to the Black Ships of Japan.

On the other hand, I announce that in the next chapters Elysium will undergo a remarkable provincial change. Mostly to make it easier when making maps... Try to make a good map with rivers and territories...

Nice story. Going to follow this timeline.

I think the first threat that the Elysians would face by the time Europe re-establish contact with Europe will be the Spanish Conquistadors. A roving band of soldiers of fortune whose duty is to find new lands and resources to settle for their new empire to exploit (and their divine evangelical mission to convert these dirty pagan heathen Romans to the one true Christian god).

The first contact with the conquistadors would probably be at Hispaniola. Their attitude towards the pagan Roman population will not earn them a favourable light and give them a really bad impression of just being barbarians wearing steel plate armor and matchlocks.

Last edited:
Nice story. Going to follow this timeline.

I think the first threat that the Elysians would face by the time Europe re-establish contact with Europe will be the Spanish Conquistadors. A roving band of soldiers of fortune whose duty is to find new lands and resources to settle for their new empire to exploit (and their divine evangelical mission to convert these dirty pagan heathen Romans to the one true Christian god).

The first contact with the conquistadors would probably be at Hispaniola. Their attitude towards the pagan Roman population will not earn them a favourable light and give them a really bad impression of just being barbarians wearing steel plate armor and matchlocks.
The conquistadors weren't stupid, remember that they will come to trade. Their driving force was a new trade route with China, a nation they never though they could convert through the sword. The Romans in all their pagan glory will be a surprise, but also an immense trade opportunity who would welcome the spices of the old world, and the Toltecs, Mayas and other native kingdoms will be under the same kind of onslaught that brought Indian and Southeast Asian kingdoms under after a devastating plague.

The conquistadors weren't stupid, remember that they will come to trade. Their driving force was a new trade route with China, a nation they never though they could convert through the sword. The Romans in all their pagan glory will be a surprise, but also an immense trade opportunity who would welcome the spices of the old world, and the Toltecs, Mayas and other native kingdoms will be under the same kind of onslaught that brought Indian and Southeast Asian kingdoms under after a devastating plague.
Yes they weren't stupid. But never underestimate the greed of the Conquistadors. The best thing they could do is at least not to go rogue and be in their best behaviour lest there will be consequences for them. Cortez, for example, disobeyed the orders of his superiors and went rogue on his own because he wanted fame and glory.

The Romans will also not give their religion up easily. The situation is quite different then it was in the old world which allowed Christianity to spread so easily

Yes they weren't stupid. But never underestimate the greed of the Conquistadors. The best thing they could do is at least not to go rogue and be in their best behaviour lest there will be consequences for them. Cortez, for example, disobeyed the orders of his superiors and went rogue on his own because he wanted fame and glory.
Cortes become Rogue because the Vicerroy of Cuba wanted backstabb him giving all the expedition who he (Cortes) pay to a friend of the vicerroy and rival of Cortes who later is send with an army to Mexico

Cortes become Rogue because the Vicerroy of Cuba wanted backstabb him giving all the expedition who he (Cortes) pay to a friend of the vicerroy and rival of Cortes who later is send with an army to Mexico
Hello,

That possibility remains a few centuries down the road. By that time, the Elysians' experimental cannons may no longer be experimental. Also, even without personal firearms, potential intruders from Europe will still have to face the polytrahos which apparently is now ubiquitous among most defense forces.

Trade is a likely venue should the Elysians restore contact with the Old World. Silk will probably be in high demand. As for small pox...
If small pox first appeared in Europe around the 12th century, there is at least a possibility the Elysians could be vulnerable to it like the native American populations if Europe resumes contact in the 15th century as per OTL.

I really wonder about the state of hygiene in Roman cities. With so much water available does the average family have baths at home or do they need to go to the public bath? Do they have water towers yet? If so, how close are they to patricians having showers and running water at home?

I really wonder about the state of hygiene in Roman cities. With so much water available does the average family have baths at home or do they need to go to the public bath? Do they have water towers yet? If so, how close are they to patricians having showers and running water at home?
Inside every roman house was a bath and un every street córner one fountain. Roman cities were very clean evento hace slaves for clean the city and sewage

This is just probably wishful thinking for me but one can dream because there is a dream called Rome.

I do wish that one day the Elysians will able to retake and step foot once again to the long lost city of Rome. The Eternal City. The birthplace of the Romans and the city of great conquerors of Caesar and Augustus. The city of honour and respect. The place where the empire had began. A great Imperial Roman Triumph shall be held once again that is never seen since the glory days of the Republic and the Empire. A great parade and feast shall be held in the city (alongside the chopped head of the Pope)

Constantinople? Maybe but nah. Constantine can keep his Christian city for all we Elysians care. But wait it belongs to the Turks now lol. The Turks can keep Constantine's city for all we care.

Last edited:
Historical Statistics for 1753 AUC (1000 AD)
  • Capital: Augusta Elysium
  • Population: 98 million people
    • Citizenship: 46 million cives.
  • Life expectancy: 44 years
  • Urbanization: 20-30%
  • Literacy rate: 32%
  • Head of government: Caesar Lucius Valerius Messalus
  • Legislature: 1,000 senators

Demographic statistics

Interactions on the frontier between citizens of different origins has produced an variety of ethnicy. They are the result of the melting pot of Elysium civilization.

• Ethnicities:
    • Roman (European Mediterranean descendent or three-quarters Roman and one-quarter Nativus): 55 millions people (~57%)
    • Nativus (Native American):10 millions people (25%)
    • Mixticius (Nativus+Roman): 33 millions people (18%)
  • Religions:
    • Religion Deorum Romanorum (Roman gods): 68 Millions people (70%)
    • Nativus Deorum (Native American Gods) 39 Millions people (70%)
  • Social classes:
    • Senatorial Order: 1,000 Senators
    • Upper Class: 50,000 people
    • Equestrian Order: 4,900,000 Equites or 5% of the population
    • Middle-Class Plebeian: 29,400,000 Plebs or 30 % of the population
    • Lower-Class Plebeians: 49,000,000 Million Plebs or 50% of the population
    • Slaves: 14,649,000 Million Servi or 14 % of the population

Wealth

A measure of money that gives a good sense of the wealth of one society relative to another society is the price of wheat in the given currency, since this quantity can be used to estimate the average income of a society in terms of how easily its people can feed themselves on their incomes. In the year 1000 AD, the GDP per capita in the Elysium Empire was ~1,500 kg of wheat, where the average income for a citizen was four times that of a non-citizen.

• 1 Denarius (Dn) = ~$17 US
  • 4 Sestertius (HS) = 1 Dn
  • 5 Ases (As) = 1 HS
  • 1 Aureus = 25 Dn
  • 1 Libralea = ~559 Dn
  • Price of gold: 1.7 Dn per gram
  • Gold content: 8.45 grams per aureus coin
  • Silver purity: 95.2% for a 4.12 gram denarius coin
  • (all currency equivalencies assume 1 Dn = USD17 and all monetary values in Dn are approximate)
  • GDP per capita: 90 Dn (~$1,529 US)
  • Government revenue:
    • Taxes: 828,000,000 Dn (~6.4% of GDP)
    • Public services: 34,000,000 Dn
    • Public land: 531,000,000 Dn (~4.1% of GDP)
  • Government expenditure:
    • Health care: 349,000,000 Dn
    • Grain dole: 68,000,000 Dn, as 1.5 billion kg of grain
    • Child subsidies: 255,000,000 Dn, at 15 Dn per natis civilis
    • Census: 1,770,000 Dn
      • Salaries: 970,000 Dn
      • Writing materials: 800,000 Dn
    • Tax collection: 11,400,000 Dn
    • Public academies: 17,000,000 Dn
    • Postal service: 4,600,000 Dn
    • Public transportation: 14,000,000 Dn
    • Public slaves: 1,700,000 Dn, spent in Augusta Elysium
    • Bureaucracy: 12,680,000 Dn
      • Propraetorian profits: 11,700,000 Dn, from public land
      • Civil servant salaries: 4,980,000 Dn
    • Legion expenditure: 205,100,000 Dn
      • Legionary salaries: 70,080,000 Dn
      • Officer salaries: 12,720,000 Dn
      • Equestrian salaries: 26,400,000 Dn
      • Sagittarius salaries: 12,000,000 Dn
      • Artilleryman salaries: 45,600,000 Dn
      • Praetorian salaries: 8,000,000 Dn
      • Praemiae: 38,400,000 Dn
      • Legionary equipment: 6,900,000 Dn, including repairs
      • Testudae: 1,200,000 Dn, including maintenance
      • Artillery: 14,900,000 Dn, including maintenance
      • Support salaries: 8,100,000 Dn
      • Supply costs: 4,000,000 Dn
    • Naval expenditure: 101,800,000 Dn
    • Public works: 1,003,400 Dn, spent in Italy
    • Festivals: 24,000,000 Dn, spent in Italy
    • Embassies: 32,000,000 Dn
    • Other expenditure: 38,000,000 Dn (largely money lost due to corruption)
  • Treasury: 44,500,000 Dn (~$756,500,000 US)
Wealth by the numbers:

Average annual income, by profession for citizens

• peasant farmer - 26 Dn, mostly non-monetary (non-citizens)
  • plebeian farmer - 78 Dn, partially non-monetary
  • unskilled laborer - 80 Dn
  • skilled craftsman - ~170 Dn
  • baker - ~210 Dn
  • armorer - ~340 Dn
  • town guard - 180 Dn
  • legionary - 365 Dn
  • praemia, for ending a term of military service as a legionary - 3000 Dn
  • sagittarius - 250 Dn
  • ballistarius - 760 Dn
  • praetorianus - 800 Dn
  • centurion - 2000 Dn, or 8000 Dn for a primus pilus
  • signiferius - 16,000 Dn
  • Legatus (commander of a legion) - 44,000 Dn
  • litterator (elementary school teacher) - 140 Dn per student
  • philosophy teacher - ~7700 Dn
  • rhetoric teacher - ~14,000 Dn
  • numerarius (accountant) - ~900 Dn
  • argentarius (banker) - ~1600 Dn
  • medicus (doctor) - ~2400 Dn
  • chirurgius (surgeon) - ~1900 Dn
  • latifundium, covering 350 acres (small) - ~25,000 Dn, before expenses
Average or local prices,

• one amphora (26.2 L) of water - Free!
  • one modius (6.67 kg) of grain - 0.4 Dn
  • a rough wool tunic - 1.15 Dn
  • a donkey - 55 Dn
  • a draught horse - 120 Dn
  • a war horse - 1400 Dn
  • a paper scroll - 0.05 Dn
  • a crucible steel gladius - 40 Dn

The Nativus Deorum and Religion Deorum Romanorum might actually combine at some point. Many natives respected the spirits of the lands after all, and such spirits exist in Roman mythology.

Possible ideas for some story immersion.

Once contact is re-established and the Elysians somehow painstakingly gain an embassy in Italy (preferably in Rome). I would like to see the feelings and lamentations of the Elysian ambassador being in Rome. A mixture of euphoria and melancholy. Joyful to see and step foot on the once great Eternal City of Augustus and Julius Caesar of the legends while at the same mournful for the feeling of being treated like a "foreigner" on a city and land that his ancestors built. The sight of the old Roman ruins such as the Aqueducts, Forums and Colosseum, reminders of its past glory, such a beauty full of joy, shame and humiliation indeed. A once glorious city, now decrepit and replaced by symbols of Christianity, the decline of the prestigious institutions that once guided Rome in the mainland. Such was a painful sight and a shameful display to behold.

Last edited:
Possible ideas for some story immersion.

Once contact is re-established and the Elysians somehow painstakingly gain an embassy in Italy (preferably in Rome). I would like to see the feelings and lamentations of the Elysian ambassador being in Rome. A mixture of euphoria and melancholy. Joyful to see and step foot on the once great Eternal City of Augustus and Julius Caesar of the legends while at the same mournful for the feeling of being treated like a "foreigner" on a city and land that his ancestors built.
Not to mentiontthe relatively sorry state it's in.

Last edited: