Bring the Jubilee: Filling the Gaps

Discussion in 'Alternate History Books and Media' started by Odinson, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Threadmarks: Aftermath of the War: United States

Odinson Plus Ultra!

Hi there! I was a big fan of the novel Bring the Jubilee, but I’ve always wondered what happened between Gettysburg and 1950, so I thought that I’d write a timeline to fill in the gaps so to speak. Anyhow, I present

Bring the Jubilee: Filling in the Gaps

1860-1879

Abraham Lincoln, first and last Republican president of the United States of America, was elected in 1860, taking office in 1861. His election sparked the secession of the southern states. The beginning of the war went poorly until the victory at the Battle of Antietam. But the war went downhill from there on afterwards. Lincoln proceeded to lose the War of Southron Independence within months of the aftermath of the Battle of Gettysburg. After the disastrous defeat in Pennsylvania, the roads became clogged with deserting soldiers and fleeing civilians, causing an almost total collapse of the logistics needed to supply the Federal Capital. With the Army of the Potomac destroyed, Confederate General Robert E. Lee took Washington D.C. The victorious Confederacy imposed the Peace of Richmond upon the United States. The end of the war resulted with the annexation of Delaware, Maryland, the lower portion of Missouri, Kansas, and the tip of Nevada. Jefferson Davis pressured Lincoln to cede California to the Confederate States as well. California, though a free state, had sent offers to join the Southrons in protest of Lincoln’s “tyrannical” policies and high tariffs. Lincoln, to the anger and dismay of both the populace and congress, was forced to allow California to go with the south, seeing as he could not actually hold the state. Another component of the Peace of Richmond was the payment of reparations to the Confederate States. Lincoln was forced to comply, the agreement being finalized with the Treaty of Reading on July 4th, 1864. Abraham Lincoln was seen almost universally as the cause of the Union’s downfall along with the black population in the United States. He was soundly defeated in the election of 1864, failing to win a single state.

Clement Vallandigham won the election of 1864 with the electorate turning sharply against the Republicans, held responsible for the disastrous defeat of the War of Southron Independence. However, Vallandigham's Presidency was haunted by economic crisis and galloping inflation, due to the reparations imposed by the victorious Confederacy. Vallandigham, in order to pay reparations to the CSA, greatly curtailed the American military. The US Army was reduced to a measly handful of regiments to guard and maintain the forts in the territories in the west when not engaging the native tribes in combat. Clement Vallandigham, through both his own charisma and that of his Secretary of State Lewis Cass, was allowed to have reperations to be paid at a slowed pace during his first term and the beginning of his second term.

During the election of 1872, Vice-President Horatio Seymour was nominated as the Democratic candidate for the presidency. Seymour decisively beat independent John C Fremont and Republican Hannibal Hamlin. However, Seymour inherited a crisis: The Confederate President, at the prodding of the Confederate Congress, was demanding reparations to be paid faster. Seymour’s administration began to ship out greater amounts of the American hard currency stores to the South. To combat this, the eighteenth president of the United States ordered more greenbacks to be printed and put into circulation. The galloping inflation of Vallandigham’s two terms became dizzying under Seymour. Many people in the Union couldn’t afford food, families starving on the east coast. What made matters worse was the loss of farms due to foreclosure by banks across the northern states, reducing even more citizens in america to poverty as well as creating a small famine. Riots broke out across America, cities burning as starving citizens stormed federal buildings and fortifications. Farmers took the opportunity to burn bank records in an attempt to keep their lands. The North was on the verge of revolution.

Benjamin Butler, the general who held New Orleans in the early days of the war, ran under the banner of the Whig Party in the election of 1876. Butler promised an end to the troubles and to grant peace and stability. Desperate for an end to the economic troubles, the public voted overwhelmingly Whig. Butler implemented drastically deflation by taking most of the currency out of circulation. Butler recalled most of the army to return to the east to combat the rioters. In December of 1877, Butler sent his Secretary of State Samuel J. Tilden to the Confederate States. Tilden met with his confederate equivalent Judah P. Benjamin and negotiated a slower, steady payment of reparations to the Confederate States on a yearly basis for the coming decade. By 1879, Butler had managed to stabilize the economy, though it was anything but strong. President Butler, during the height of his popularity of his first term, gave an executive order to remove the large Jewish population from the state of North Missouri. The Jewish residents scattered, many fleeing to New York and to the neighboring nations of the Confederacy and the Dominion of Canada. Under Butler, the final stages of the Great Migration (1867-1880) ended with the majority of african americans in the United States migrating to Liberia.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  2. Odinson Plus Ultra!

I'm planning on releasing the next update on Monday. I'm planning on covering United States history until 1905 or so for the next couple of updates, then I'm going to cover Confederate history from 1865-1905 in the next couple updates after that.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2019
  3. Threadmarks: The Tarnished Age: United States

Odinson Plus Ultra!

1885-1893

A former Republican, James G. Blaine followed Butler into the Powel House in Philadelphia under the banner of the Whig Party during the election of 1884. Blaine, hoping to lessen the economic woes of the nation, reduced tariffs with other nations in an attempt to expand trade and America’s economy. Under him, american business began to falter as the few american produced goods were soon quickly overwhelmed by foreign goods. Corporations bought out home grown businesses, further hindering the Union’s economic recovery. The remaining American corporations were issuing massive layoffs, not being able to pay its workers. In the summer of 1886, Macy’s, in order to keep enough workers, offered a contract to 500 men: Indent oneself to Macy’s in return for three square meals a day for them and their immediate family. President Blaine, in an effort to link the west and east coasts of the Union ordered the construction of a transcontinental railroad. Blaine was accused of corruption in issuing charters to the companies building the railroad. The economic crash of ‘88 resulted in the premature end of the project, construction only reaching Des Moines, Iowa. With the issues plaguing his administration, Blaine unsurprisingly lost the election in November of 1888.

James Baird Weaver of the new Populist Party took the nation by storm, promising to put the trust back into the office. Weaver, first president under the banner of the Populist Party, sought to restore the economy by raising tariffs with other nations. The reparations to the Southrons continued on, further preventing the American economy from recovering to its proper height. Weaver, in an attempt to save face during the tumultuous economy, attemped to continue Manifest Destiny, ordering the small army to engage the Native Americans.

Weaver's War, as it soon became called, was supported by much of the rump union as an attempt to salvage it's glory. Instead, a coalition of western tribes under Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse, and Chief Joseph soundly defeated the Americans. After a year and a half of war, the Indians (with Confederate and British backing) formed an independent nation in the former Montana territory in 1891.

Whiteshore and freivolk like this.
  4. Threadmarks: The Tarnished Age: United States Part 2

Odinson Plus Ultra!

1893-1897

With the utter disaster of Weaver’s western war, the Populist Party was devastatingly outperformed by the Whigs in 1892. The former Governor of New York Grover Cleveland ran and won the election in a landslide. Cleveland lowered the tariffs that his predecessor had imposed on the surrounding nations. It was during his term that the final reparations to the Union’s more powerful southern neighbor were paid, ending the yearly payments. Unfortunately, the American economy was still in shambles. In the United States, the only way that most citizens could survive economically was by indenting oneself to a business. Macy’s started the trend back in 1886. By 1894 it was common practice among corporations. In the west, larger farms began to offer the option of indenting.

Cleveland, in conjunction with the evermore important House Majority Speaker Benjamin Harrison, attempted to expand the military for the first time in a decade. The US Army was expanded from 5,000 to 10,000 soldiers to better guard the western settlements from incursions from the Plain’s Confederation. This put a strain on the economy of the US. Prominent Senator Williams Bryan argued that the armed forces should be reduced to a skeletal remnant. “There is no need for an army when there is no enemy on the continent to fight”. Bryan, despite being an opponent of the enlarged army, produced his own doctrine for American Might: The Navy.

Bryan believed that if America could project power across the sea, other nations wouldn't be so eager to take advantage of the U.S. It looked that Bryan was the Populist candidate for 1896. Bryan campaigned on a "fair shake deal" that offered a larger navy, lowered tariffs, and would great a national lottery. The Whig candidate Colonel William McKinley, a proponent of a larger army, offered better deals for corporations and small businesses. McKinley also ran a " friendly neighbor" campaign that called for better relations with foreign nations. Both candidates were popular, but due to similar views on tariffs and the promise to help the common man, Bryan won, taking office on March 4th, 1897.

freivolk and Whiteshore like this.
  5. freivolk Well-Known Member

I see that you want to concentrate on America. Still I would be interessted to know, what you think whats the deal with the german Union.

6. Odinson Plus Ultra!

Well, the plan is to cover different countries up until 1905 before moving forward in history.

As for the German Union, I'm thinking of a larger Empire consisting of Austria and Germany.

freivolk likes this.
  7. freivolk Well-Known Member

I read the book just in the german translation, so i´m not completly sure if I got everything right, but when the narrator speaks about OTL german unification, he implies, that the German union has no emperor. And the extermination of the Jews starts in 1890th. So its my headcanon that Bismarck fails ITTL in the 1890th a proto.nazi-ideologie takes over Germany.

8. Odinson Plus Ultra!

Really? I didn't remember that part about no German emperor.

I do remember the alternate holocaust part though.

I figured the Emperor's War of 1914-1916 Was a war between the French Empire under Napoleon VI, German Union under Kaiser Wilhelm II, and Russia under the Tsar: hence the name of the conflict.

But I could be wrong. I don't have a copy of the book and it's been a year since I read it.

9. freivolk Well-Known Member

In my german copy they say:"Wird es einen Kaiserkrieg geben, jetzt wo die Deutschen einen Kaiser haben?"//"Will there be an Emperores War, now that the Germans have an Emperor?" Like I said, maybe it was mistranslated, but it sounded for me, as if the Germans have no Emperor ITTL. The Emperors War, would the be a war of the european emperors (France, Russia, maybe Austria) against the German Union.

10. Odinson Plus Ultra!

Hm, I'll have to re-read the book

11. Odinson Plus Ultra!

So hey, after I do America's update in 1905, which would you rather see:
    History of Liberia up to 1905
    Or
    History of the Confederate States up to 1905?

12. freivolk Well-Known Member

CSA

Odinson likes this.