I imagine its politics being closer to certain "semi-colonial" Latin American nations like Argentina, thus making a populist-nationalist movement with authoritarian tendencies similar to Peronism extremely likely. I see it as very likely that such a regime would ally with Germany against the Confederacy and the British while undertaking a massive rearmament/industrialization program. The war shouldn't start until after 1953 given it doesn't in the novel.
Ah, I missed that the novel ended in 1953. Good catch

Just something to say, this is a filling the gaps thread, so if anyone wants to post anything about other parts of the world, or if you disagree with my understanding of the novel, then go ahead and post

1863-1940

The terrorist group known as the Grand Army was founded in the chaotic post war years by disgruntled former union commanders Benjamin F Stevenson, John Alexander Logan, and Ambrose Burnside. Together, they would plot and carry out acts of sabatoge in the CSA.

In 1864, the group orchestrated the assassination of confederate president Jefferson Davis. Agents infiltrated the theater and snuck in a former union soldier who would go on to shoot Davis in the back. This was the most ambitious plan the group had come up with. For the next 80 years, the group would sell arms to anti annexation Mexicans and people from Latin America during the Wars of Liberation.

In 1940, the organization sought to provoke a war between the CSA and the Spanish Empire by inserting billions of counterfeit money into the Spanish economy. This would kick start the war in South America instead of the union if it succeeded. This ploy failed however, when agents were discovered by the Spanish government in Havana.