Aftermath of the War: United States
Hi there! I was a big fan of the novel Bring the Jubilee, but I’ve always wondered what happened between Gettysburg and 1950, so I thought that I’d write a timeline to fill in the gaps so to speak. Anyhow, I present

Bring the Jubilee: Filling in the Gaps

1860-1885

Abraham Lincoln, first and last Republican president of the United States of America, was elected in 1860, taking office in 1861. His election sparked the secession of the southern states. The beginning of the war went poorly until the victory at the Battle of Antietam. But the war went downhill from there on afterwards. Lincoln proceeded to lose the War of Southron Independence within months of the aftermath of the Battle of Gettysburg. After the disastrous defeat in Pennsylvania, the roads became clogged with deserting soldiers and fleeing civilians, causing an almost total collapse of the logistics needed to supply the Federal Capital. With the Army of the Potomac destroyed, Confederate General Robert E. Lee took Washington D.C. The victorious Confederacy imposed the Peace of Richmond upon the United States. The end of the war resulted with the annexation of Delaware, Maryland, the lower portion of Missouri, Kansas, and the tip of Nevada. Jefferson Davis pressured Lincoln to cede California to the Confederate States as well. California, though a free state, had sent offers to join the Southrons in protest of Lincoln’s “tyrannical” policies and high tariffs. Lincoln, to the anger and dismay of both the populace and congress, was forced to allow California to go with the south, seeing as he could not actually hold the state. Another component of the Peace of Richmond was the payment of reparations to the Confederate States. Lincoln was forced to comply, the agreement being finalized with the Treaty of Reading on July 4th, 1864 Abraham Lincoln was seen almost universally as the cause of the Union’s downfall along with the black population in the United States. He was soundly defeated in the election of 1864, failing to win a single state.

Clement Vallandigham won the election of 1864 with the electorate turning sharply against the Republicans, held responsible for the disastrous defeat of the War of Southron Independence. However, Vallandigham's Presidency was haunted by economic crisis and galloping inflation, due to the reparations imposed by the victorious Confederacy. Vallandigham, in order to pay reparations to the CSA, greatly curtailed the American military. The US Army was reduced to a measly handful of regiments to guard and maintain the forts in the territories in the west when not engaging the native tribes in combat. Clement Vallandigham, through both his own charisma and that of his Secretary of State Lewis Cass, was allowed to have reperations to be paid at a slowed pace during his first term and the beginning of his second term.

During the election of 1872, Vice-President Horatio Seymour was nominated as the Democratic candidate for the presidency. Seymour decisively beat independent John C Fremont and Republican Hannibal Hamlin. However, Seymour inherited a crisis: The Confederate President, at the prodding of the Confederate Congress, was demanding reparations to be paid faster. Seymour’s administration began to ship out greater amounts of the American hard currency stores to the South. To combat this, the eighteenth president of the United States ordered more greenbacks to be printed and put into circulation. The galloping inflation of Vallandigham’s two terms became dizzying under Seymour. Many people in the Union couldn’t afford food, families starving on the east coast. What made matters worse was the loss of farms due to foreclosure by banks across the northern states, reducing even more citizens in america to poverty as well as creating a small famine. Riots broke out across America, cities burning as starving citizens stormed federal buildings and fortifications. Farmers took the opportunity to burn bank records in an attempt to keep their lands. The North was on the verge of revolution.

Benjamin Butler, the general who held New Orleans in the early days of the war, ran under the banner of the Whig Party in the election of 1876. Butler promised an end to the troubles and to grant peace and stability. Desperate for an end to the economic troubles, the public voted overwhelmingly Whig. Butler implemented drastically deflation by taking most of the currency out of circulation. Butler recalled most of the army to return to the east to combat the rioters. In December of 1877, Butler sent his Secretary of State Samuel J. Tilden to the Confederate States. Tilden met with his confederate equivalent Judah P. Benjamin and negotiated a slower, steady payment of reparations to the Confederate States on a yearly basis for the coming decade. By 1879, Butler had managed to stabilize the economy, though it was anything but strong. President Butler, during the height of his popularity of his first term, gave an executive order to remove the large Jewish population from the state of North Missouri. The Jewish residents scattered, many fleeing to New York and to the neighboring nations of the Confederacy and the Dominion of Canada. Under Butler, the final stages of the Great Migration (1867-1880) ended with the majority of african americans in the United States migrating to Liberia.

Last edited:
I'm planning on releasing the next update on Monday. I'm planning on covering United States history until 1905 or so for the next couple of updates, then I'm going to cover Confederate history from 1865-1905 in the next couple updates after that.

Last edited:
The Tarnished Age: United States
1885-1893

A former Republican, James G. Blaine followed Butler into the Powel House in Philadelphia under the banner of the Whig Party during the election of 1884. Blaine, hoping to lessen the economic woes of the nation, reduced tariffs with other nations in an attempt to expand trade and America’s economy. Under him, american business began to falter as the few american produced goods were soon quickly overwhelmed by foreign goods. Corporations bought out home grown businesses, further hindering the Union’s economic recovery. The remaining American corporations were issuing massive layoffs, not being able to pay its workers. In the summer of 1886, Macy’s, in order to keep enough workers, offered a contract to 500 men: Indent oneself to Macy’s in return for three square meals a day for them and their immediate family. President Blaine, in an effort to link the west and east coasts of the Union ordered the construction of a transcontinental railroad. Blaine was accused of corruption in issuing charters to the companies building the railroad. The economic crash of ‘88 resulted in the premature end of the project, construction only reaching Des Moines, Iowa. With the issues plaguing his administration, Blaine unsurprisingly lost the election in November of 1888.

James Baird Weaver of the new Populist Party took the nation by storm, promising to put the trust back into the office. Weaver, first president under the banner of the Populist Party, sought to restore the economy by raising tariffs with other nations. The reparations to the Southrons continued on, further preventing the American economy from recovering to its proper height. Weaver, in an attempt to save face during the tumultuous economy, attemped to continue Manifest Destiny, ordering the small army to engage the Native Americans.

Weaver's War, as it soon became called, was supported by much of the rump union as an attempt to salvage it's glory. Instead, a coalition of western tribes under Sitting Bull, Crazy Horse, and Chief Joseph soundly defeated the Americans. After a year and a half of war, the Indians (with Confederate and British backing) formed an independent nation in the former Montana territory in 1891.

Last edited:
The Tarnished Age: United States Part 2
1893-1897

With the utter disaster of Weaver’s western war, the Populist Party was devastatingly outperformed by the Whigs in 1892. The former Governor of New York Grover Cleveland ran and won the election in a landslide. Cleveland lowered the tariffs that his predecessor had imposed on the surrounding nations. It was during his term that the final reparations to the Union’s more powerful southern neighbor were paid, ending the yearly payments. Unfortunately, the American economy was still in shambles. In the United States, the only way that most citizens could survive economically was by indenting oneself to a business. Macy’s started the trend back in 1886. By 1894 it was common practice among corporations. In the west, larger farms began to offer the option of indenting.

Cleveland, in conjunction with the evermore important Speaker of the House Benjamin Harrison, attempted to expand the military for the first time in a decade. The US Army was expanded from 5,000 to 10,000 soldiers to better guard the western settlements from incursions from the Plain’s Confederation. This put a strain on the economy of the US. Prominent Senator Williams Bryan argued that the armed forces should be reduced to a skeletal remnant. “There is no need for an army when there is no enemy on the continent to fight”. Bryan, despite being an opponent of the enlarged army, produced his own doctrine for American Might: The Navy.

Bryan believed that if America could project power across the sea, other nations wouldn't be so eager to take advantage of the U.S. It looked that Bryan was the Populist candidate for 1896. Bryan campaigned on a "fair shake deal" that offered a larger navy, lowered tariffs, and would great a national lottery. The Whig candidate Colonel William McKinley, a proponent of a larger army, offered better deals for corporations and small businesses. McKinley also ran a " friendly neighbor" campaign that called for better relations with foreign nations. Both candidates were popular, but due to similar views on tariffs and the promise to help the common man, Bryan won, taking office on March 4th, 1897.

Last edited:
I see that you want to concentrate on America. Still I would be interessted to know, what you think whats the deal with the german Union.

I see that you want to concentrate on America. Still I would be interessted to know, what you think whats the deal with the german Union.
Well, the plan is to cover different countries up until 1905 before moving forward in history.

As for the German Union, I'm thinking of a larger Empire consisting of Austria and Germany.

I read the book just in the german translation, so i´m not completly sure if I got everything right, but when the narrator speaks about OTL german unification, he implies, that the German union has no emperor. And the extermination of the Jews starts in 1890th. So its my headcanon that Bismarck fails ITTL in the 1890th a proto.nazi-ideologie takes over Germany.

I read the book just in the german translation, so i´m not completly sure if I got everything right, but when the narrator speaks about OTL german unification, he implies, that the German union has no emperor. And the extermination of the Jews starts in 1890th. So its my headcanon that Bismarck fails ITTL in the 1890th a proto.nazi-ideologie takes over Germany.
Really? I didn't remember that part about no German emperor.

I do remember the alternate holocaust part though.

I figured the Emperor's War of 1914-1916 Was a war between the French Empire under Napoleon VI, German Union under Kaiser Wilhelm II, and Russia under the Tsar: hence the name of the conflict.

But I could be wrong. I don't have a copy of the book and it's been a year since I read it.

Really? I didn't remember that part about no German emperor.

I do remember the alternate holocaust part though.

I figured the Emperor's War of 1914-1916 Was a war between the French Empire under Napoleon VI, German Union under Kaiser Wilhelm II, and Russia under the Tsar: hence the name of the conflict.

But I could be wrong. I don't have a copy of the book and it's been a year since I read it.
In my german copy they say:"Wird es einen Kaiserkrieg geben, jetzt wo die Deutschen einen Kaiser haben?"//"Will there be an Emperores War, now that the Germans have an Emperor?" Like I said, maybe it was mistranslated, but it sounded for me, as if the Germans have no Emperor ITTL. The Emperors War, would the be a war of the european emperors (France, Russia, maybe Austria) against the German Union.

In my german copy they say:"Wird es einen Kaiserkrieg geben, jetzt wo die Deutschen einen Kaiser haben?"//"Will there be an Emperores War, now that the Germans have an Emperor?" Like I said, maybe it was mistranslated, but it sounded for me, as if the Germans have no Emperor ITTL. The Emperors War, would the be a war of the european emperors (France, Russia, maybe Austria) against the German Union.
Hm, I'll have to re-read the book

So hey, after I do America's update in 1905, which would you rather see:
History of Liberia up to 1905
Or
History of the Confederate States up to 1905?

The Era of Progress: United States
1897-1909

Bryan’s victory in the election of 1896 marked the beginning of the “Era of Progress”. Bryan, as promised, began to dismantle the army to the bare minimum of 2,000 soldiers, most of which were positioned at the Mason-Dixon Line, a meger show of force against Confederate influence. During Bryan’s first few months of office, two new states were admitted to the Union; The state of Deseret and the State of Columbia. Deseret, home to most of the mormon population in the United States, had been pushing for statehood for years. Congress refused the first few times, citing the polygamy in the state as the main issue to overcome. In 1897, it was decided that polygamy would be overlooked by Congress, allowing it to be enshrined in the state’s constitution. Columbia had been an unimportant territory just north of Oregon. Its population boomed in the buildup to Weaver’s War against the Natives, giving it more importance.

In May of 1897, construction began on Bryan’s new fleet. Four ships were ordered to be built in a fashion similar of the USS Monitor in Boston harbor. William Jennings Bryan lowered tariffs with most nations, with the exception of the Confederacy. President Bryan was applauded by much of the country. Newspapers all across the nation ran articles praising him. The Gleaner ran the now famous headline “BRYAN, LION OF NEBRASKA, PUSHES AGAINST THE SOUTHRONS”, which gave him his nickname. While loudly proclaimed in the Union, the tariff was barely noticed in the CSA.

On September 9th, 1897, the first ship of the new fleet, the USS William Bryan launched from Boston harbor in a massive ceremony.

cIZVYWSkO0-XU-f0TpOYFKVLdyIRglYdxcxZtGLQ0YGg7_jpZ6_ievlPfP_xuAo8xifx2JhV3lBTp_CLEnKGoItO3PGO0u77CLIz9I_LE1Y7-rszy5THOdV7gMyxT9S8XviKDSt8

USS William Bryan

The ship went on a grand tour across the nation, sailing from Massachusetts to New Jersey before turning back and sailing to Maine. By June of 1898, three new ships had been put into service, and three had been ordered to be built on the west coast for the Pacific Squadron. The new monitor class of ships were sent on voyages to fight against pirates in the North Atlantic in an attempt to demonstrate to the world that America wasn’t to be pushed around.

Bryan did more than just invest in a better navy, he also struck a series of blows against child labor, prohibiting businesses from using boys under the age of 15 in his Labor Act in 1899. William Jennings Bryan won the election of 1900 easily, taking all states except for Colonel William McKinley’s native Ohio and the states of New York and North Missouri. For the first time in decades, America was prospering.

In 1901, Bryan went on a speaking tour in every us state and territory proclaiming the dangers of having more than one child. “.... We are in a delicate balance, America. A child is the lifeblood of a family, yet, a multitude of children can lead to a family’s economic ruin. More children means more mouths to feed, more mouths to feed means less money to buy food. Not enough food means starvation…” The Lion of Nebraska’s argument for smaller families strung a cord in members across the political aisle. The slogan “One healthy boy is worth two malnourished” exploded in popularity, being plastered on walls, minibelle bumpers, and on fishing trawlers. Bryan was proclaimed the greatest president since Washington by the New York Times. And it was understandable where such sentiments came from. Under the populist president, five new states had been admitted to the Union, starting with Deseret (1897) and continuing with Columbia (1897), Nevada (1900), East Dakota (1904) and West Dakota (1904). The once crumbling Atlantic Fleet was now fifteen ships strong, and the Pacific Squadron was now up to six. Bryan’s fall came in his third term, however.

On December 7th, 1907, the daughter of the Spanish ambassador was attacked and lynched while exploring New York City. The Spanish ambassador, outraged, ordered his guards to find her killers. A squad of twenty men marched into the Bowery neighborhood and shot every man, woman, and child in their path in their quest to find the ruffians. The public was outraged, not at the murder of the diplomat’s daughter, but at the “Butchery of the Bowery” as it was called by the press. William Jennings Bryan asked congress for a declaration of war against Spain on December 12th. The United States Navy engaged the Spanish off the coast of Cuba on December 21st. The spanish proved to be more resilient than expected, sinking nine of the twelve ships that were deployed to the Caribbean. Furthermore, the spanish army landed three battalions on the coast of New Jersey. The Spaniards advanced, torching Princeton and Trenton. Spain’s ally Prussia also deployed its fleet and blockaded Boston Harbor. The American-Spanish War came to an end two months later on February 9th, 1908. The United States’s was forced to resize the navy to a measly three ships on the east coast and two ships on the west coast by the victorious Spanish Empire. Bryan, once beloved by the nation, was now the most hated man in America. The public howled for his blood. The Philadelphia Whig called for his impeachment. The New York Times called for his execution. Bryan, originally planning on running for a fourth term, withdrew from the race. The Populist met in Omaha, Nebraska for their national convention. The Populists, aware that they had a snowball’s chance of winning the next election, decided to nominate Eugene V Debs. The Whigs, sure of their victory, nominated Oliver Wendell Holmes Jr. Homes won the election in the greatest landslide in american history since the War of Southron Independence.

Last edited:
Aftermath of the War: Confederate States
1864-1880

The Confederacy was basking in the warm glow of victory. Jefferson Davis had managed to wrestle the hard currency out of the Union in the Treaty of Reading as well as a number of new states, even if there were free states in the bunch. On July 12th, 1864, a former Union soldier from the Vicksburg Campaign assassinated President Davis while he was attending a play. The assassin was caught and executed, but the deed was done. Vice President Stevens declined the office, stating that he did not feel up to the task. Instead, while serving as acting president, Stevens declared an emergency election. The candidates of the election were Robert E. Lee of Virginia, Wade Hampton III of South Carolina, and Robert Toombs of Georgia. Lee came out with clear majority and took office in March of 1865. One of the first things the Marble Man did in his term was to formally end slavery in the CSA. One of his reasonings was the existence of two free states, Kansas and California, in the Confederacy. President Lee also publicly called slavery a great evil that should be erased from the Earth. With much protest, Lee’s act passed, granting citizenship to the freed black population. Many of them went to settle in the recently annexed Arizona territory. Congressman James Longstreet called for further steps to ensure black equality, but found his measures to be less then than appreciated.

Lee, as his term continued on, found himself having less influence as Congress became less responsive to him and his measures. His attempt at creating a peaceful policy failed when Congress loudly declared the need to intervene in the collapsing Mexican Empire. Lee, opposed to action, was overridden by the legislative branch and troops were sent into Mexico to “restore the peace”. This intervention became a long term occupation as the CSA began to annex the nation. As the election of 1867 came closer, many expected Lee to officially run for his own term as opposed to simply finishing Davis’s. Lee turned down the offer, “To Hell with y’all, I’m going to Virginia”. As Lee had formally declared no intention to run, others quickly rallied around the two most prominent figures in the post war Confederacy: James Longstreet and Wade Hampton III. The two figures of widely differing views began to battle it out, debating each other in Richmond, going on speaking tours across the south. From these men sprouted the two most prominent political parties of the south: Longstreet’s Patriot Party and Hampton’s Democratic Party.

Longstreet, who opposed the annexation of Mexico, took the states of California, Virginia, South Missouri, Kansas, Delaware, Maryland, and Kentucky (52 Electoral Votes).

Hampton took Texas, Alabama, Louisiana, South Carolina, North Carolina, Florida, Maryland, and Tennessee (84 Electoral Votes).

Wade Hampton III was inaugurated on March 4th, 1868 as the third president of the Confederacy. Hampton, more receptive to Mexican annexation, went ahead with the division of Mexico into territories. Whites from the across the south flooded into Mexico to buy open land on the cheap, even if they had to run off some “filthy greasers” in some areas. There were two main routes that people traveled along to get to the new territories; the rich sons of the old planters along the coast made their way to the territory of Veracruz by way of the Atlantic Ocean, while poorer citizens made their way through Texas into the territory of Chihuahua.

In order to preserve the balance of power in the far southern territories in old Mexico, it was decided that most mexicans qualified as “white” in the Confederate census. This mulled over the resistive populace as many were given the same rights as Confederate citizens. In 1869, Veracruz was admitted as the sixteenth state of the Confederacy (August 24th), followed by Chihuahua as the fifteenth (December 23rd). The former State of Mexico was renamed the Davis Territory after the first assassinated president of the Confederacy, with old Mexico City being renamed Leesburg. One by one, the former mexican states were admitted to the Confederacy. The Confederacy, in order to control such a large area, kept its standing army large, peaking at 75,000 soldiers in 1870. This was funded in large part by the reparations given by the United States for the damages during the War of Southron Independence.

The Confederacy stood as a great power in North America, stretching from sea to shining sea, from northern California to the Yucatan. No power could stand against the Confederacy in the Americas. No native power, anyway. Spain, the first power to colonize the New World, had begun a reconquista of its former colonies. In the fall of 1867, Spain invaded the southern tip of Argentina, planning on making their way up the continent. By 1869, most of the coast was under spanish control. Hampton and his fellow Democrats, who were not content with just Mexico, began further expansion into Central America by invading Guatemala, and continuing the drive down into Columbia. By 1873, Most of South America was in the hands of either the Confederacy or Spain’s rejuvenated empire. The only independent nations on the continent were Chile and Brazil. The Confederates, reluctant to allow a rival in what it saw as its sphere of influence, vigorously drummed up support for yet another “War of Liberation”, as they called it, to prevent spanish annexation. The Empire of Brazil stood in between the two powers. President Jubal Early of the CSA began discussing plans for an invasion of Brazil with his military advisors. Early, as opposed to simply conquering the country, formulated a plan to establish a puppet regime in its place. This plan sat in the back shelves when it appeared that neither nation was willing to attack the Brazilian Empire first, thus establishing a delicate balance. The Confederacy, under Democratic leadership, sought to turn to its domestic problems while there was a break in the annexation of the latin republics. Then came the crash.

The CSA had been geared towards a war time economy since 1862, and sustaining itself on conquest. When the fighting stopped, what was left to do? So many rich planters and up and coming industrialists had their fingers in the pie that was arms and uniform production. But now, the CSA did not need as much weaponry. This left an abundance of supplies that was not needed. This “arms bubble” burst in 1877, creating a minor panic. Factories shut down and laid off workers as the government was no longer buying their products. Nobody expected the wars to end. The failure to prevent the economic downturn gave the Patriot Party its chance. John S. Mosby of the Patriot Party ran for the office of president in the election of 1879, promising a return to peace. The Democratic Party ran Roger Atkinson Pryor as his opponent. Mosby’s platform of peace won over many voters, allowing him to win the election.

The Golden 1880s: Confederate States
1880-1892

The first order of business for President Mosby was to get the factories reopened and producing items. The CS government offered incentives to most manufacturers to produce various other non military related goods. People stopped building as many rifles and started building civilian things, like chairs and door hinges. The few factories that hadn’t changed over from arms production instead started to sell to foreign nations. The Confederate government also chartered a railroad to travel from San Francisco to Atlanta, making it the sixth transcontinental railroad in Southron territory. By 1883, the confederate economy had managed to fully bounce back. But, despite the boom, it was not all peaches and roses in the CSA.

While granted citizenship, African-Confederates were still subjected to discrimination in most states. States rights being a central part of Confederate beliefs, each state was allowed to decide and enforce its racial segregation laws. The deep southern states, such as South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, Louisiana, and Texas, had harsh laws that separated whites from blacks. States like Virginia, North Carolina, and Kentucky had more de facto segregation, but in rare cases African Confederates could move up in their social status. In the states of California and Kansas, both abolitionist, possesed little segregation laws. The state of Arizona, due to its black majority, had no segregation laws either.

As 1885 began to lead to 1886, the Confederate States continued its march towards the 20th century. Telegraph lines were stretched across the continent and becoming more available to the everyday citizen, even if it was more so the upper middle class than the average factory worker. As President Mosby’s term drew to an end, the Confederate people elected another Patriot party member to the highest office. Campbell Slemp, a former colonel in the Confederate Army during the War of Southron Independence, had spent the last two decades as a member of the House of Representatives. When inaugurated, he called for congress to create legislation that would dismantle the poll tax in the entire Confederacy. His political opponents called this an attack on states rights, to which he fired back with “Who am I attacking? The everyday man who wishes to live in a free nation? Or the autocrat who hopes to rule as a duke?” Slemp was beloved by the people for his anti planter aristocracy views, promising a bright future.

In 1889, the monarchy of the Brazilian empire was overthrown in a coup. Spain’s forces mobilized along the southern border. Confederate soldiers massed in the north. Plan Huitzilopochtli (named for an Aztec war god), which was formulated under the orders of President Early, was put into action by President Slemp. Grey backs stormed across the Amazon river. By 1892, the CSA had control over the provinces Amazonas, Pará, Mato Grosso, Goiás, Piauí, Ceará, Rio Grande do Norte, Maranhão, Paraíba, and Pernambuco. Spain seized the provinces of Rio Grande do Sul, Santa Catarina, Parana, and Sao Paulo, adding it to Argentina. The remainder of Brazil was united as the First Brazilian Republic, consisting of Bahia, Alagoas, Sergipe, Minas Gerais, Espirito Santo, Rio de Janeiro, and Municipio Neutro. The Confederacy, instead of annexing the northern territories, established them as the Second Empire of Brazil, crowning Isabel of House Braganza as empress.

qROg72voL7WO0GkU2EP63A8viIitYEacOw_nnngtEY4tZNbzBkkjSAa2ovqxVRZBG2tP7Z9nn-nmxapWYZ886WijPrjJEva0uV5rZmB14J7sAM_xKvyN5GZOyMlI6hhq24bAbM2J

Isabel I of the Second Brazilian Empire

The Brazilian empire was quickly corralled into the Confederate camp, becoming both a satellite state and a buffer state between the CSA and the rejuvenated Spanish Empire. As the War of Brazilian Devolution drew to a close, Campbell Slemp’s term ended in March, 1892. His successor, William Mahone was inaugurated on March 4th.

The Gay 1890s: Confederate States
1892-1898

The Gay 1890s were a time of continued economic growth for the Confederate States of America. Railroads linked the nation, from Richmond to Los Angeles, San Antonio to Lima. Chile had just been added to the continent spanning empire. However, it was also a time a tensions with the Spanish empire. Spain had pursued a conquest just as readily as the Confederacy, controlling much of South America and the Caribbean. But the CSA wasn’t the only nation that felt threatened. With Santo Domingo falling back into Spanish orbit, Haiti started arming themselves. President Mahone saw an opportunity.

The CSA reached out to the Republic of Haiti with an offer of friendship and alliance. Haiti, wary at first due to the latin wars the Confederates had waged in the past, recognized the need for allies. In June of 1893, a formal alliance was declared between the two to guard against Spain. This South Atlantic Treaty Organization added the Second Brazilian Empire to its membership in August. It is unsure of what else William Mahone was hoping to accomplish in his term, seeing as he died in 1895, forcing his Vice-President James Longstreet to ascend to the highest office. He finished the term in 1898 and retired to his home in Georgia.

d2utMUZX2gwy2FXTQFQFsj0JmK946Sa2QJqOcKTlsWB9fw8KK1dbyHHWADIF0xkBgeyT6mUVBVqEdDVKsFBPiVdTUg4uoIjr8hkqBQoXfyiTX9ULpNOTyOvhFEq765IUqQIriKVS

North America in 1898

RED: British Empire

REDDISH PINK WITH PURPLE STRIPES: The Plains Confederation

SILVER: United States of America

PURPLE: Confederate States of America

GREEN: Spanish Empire

BLACK: Haiti

0pLruwbq-oQQJYP8nA46fp-mfCiXLbpBU5N7t7NTTVNGx8ekDDTQYfwjrvcOBP32KvGBiy6UyXwkZpZVazKlr-tjiqR2-KxngM3JIjR5VVZKDQjQne0fnMOpNTYkMcsV02HdA1ab

PURPLE: Confederate States of America

GREEN: Spanish empire

TAN: Second Empire of Brazil

ORANGE: First Brazilian Republic

BLUE: French Empire

RED: British Empire

PINK: Dutch Empire

Early 20th Century: CSA
1898-1916

As the 19th century drew to a close, Democratic presidential elect Joseph Wheeler was being inaugurated at the Gray House in Richmond, Virginia.

-lw3AG_RFuGrVDbrPgo6Mr-UfzH7hMqEDTwAV31e3DnX5GoWwQDevlp0rpbIAAkqs_nH48jDqQNs5WSatXq8Lj3Yi_YpUvGzz_jce22LW2Ps-jw1SETkCuP6MZHGerZywXmPthr2

The Gray House: 1898

A cavalry commander during the War of Southron Independence, Wheeler promised a hard line against the spanish. Haitian soldiers trained alongside Southrons to prepare for war with the European empire. In 1902, the Confederacy broke ground in the Isthmus of Panama to build a canal to bridge the Pacific Ocean and the Atlantic Ocean. The canal was completed in 1912 during the presidency of Confederate President Woodrow Wilson.

By 1912, europe was on the verge of war. Prussia and its allies the Austro-Hungarian Empire and the Spanish Empire stood against the French Empire and its allies Russia and Denmark. The CSA watched as the Emperor’s War began in the spring of 1914. Wilson, unable to bring the CSA into the war, supported the Continental Alliance against the Prussian led Triple Alliance through loans and the selling of munitions. The War ended in 1916 when Prussia captured Paris. While still in the palace of Versailles during the signing of the treaty, Wilhelm of Prussia proclaimed a Union of the Germanies, a German Union. The tilt in the balance of power in Europe pushed the CSA and the United Kingdom together to form a defensive pact.