I need some opinion because I'm thinking about a name for the kingdom that Johan Habsburg is gonna inherit, that is the spanish netherlands, but I cant think of a name. I was just gonna put Kingdom of Holland, but apparently some dutch who arent from the two provinces don't like it?

I was thinking about Kingdom of Burgundy or Kingdom of Luxembourg. I'm really hesitant to just put Kingdom of the Netherlands, because it's a whole different political climate.

So yeah, please help.
I think the Kingdom of Burgundy would work, personally, since it's his 'highest' title and the one least likely to offend anybody

Isn't Burgundy a separate region within France? The Dukes of Burgundy controlled the Low Countries, but the name came from their homeland so I'm not sure that it would apply to a kingdom that doesn't include it. If using "The Netherlands" is politically difficult, perhaps calling it the Kingdom of Belgium would work instead?

Isn't Burgundy a separate region within France? The Dukes of Burgundy controlled the Low Countries, but the name came from their homeland so I'm not sure that it would apply to a kingdom that doesn't include it. If using "The Netherlands" is politically difficult, perhaps calling it the Kingdom of Belgium would work instead?
Yeah, that's why I was so hesitant. I can't imagine Henry III would enjoy his cousin (their mothers are sisters) using a title that technically belongs to the french crown.

I've been trying to read some more on that area's history and apparently, Belgium is an old name for it? Belgium lion, anyone? So I guess that's like a safer safe option.

Chapter Thirty - A Portuguese Regency
%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprodmigration%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F6afa1be5-b0cf-3fb5-9ad0-b92f87875df5.jpg

The youngest children of King Sebastian I: Henry, Beatrice, and Francis.
King Sebastian I of Portugal died on 12 December 1585 at the age of twenty-eight. According to records, the King died of smallpox, the same disease that had taken the life of his firstborn son, Infante John Manuel, only a year earlier. After the King’s doctors informed his wife, who already had smallpox and could stay near him, that his disease was fatal, Queen Margaret started crying. Good-natured Sebastian then told her, “Do not worry, my pearl. I will be with John and Mary now.” Infanta Maria died in 1574 at the age of two of respiratory issues, now believed to have been an asthma attack.

At the time of his death, Sebastian’s heir was his second son, Philip, who was only ten years old. Because the new King would have a need for a regency until he turned sixteen, Sebastião wrote out a will declaring that his wife, Margaret, would be given the regency and custody of their younger children. Margaret, however, was French and some courtiers feared a foreign woman holding the reins of power would lead to a decline of the country. Because of this, Sebastian also declared that John I, Duke of Braganza and George of Lencastre, 2nd Duke of Aveiro, high-ranking Portuguese nobles would advise the Queen on all matters, although the marriage of the remaining royal children could only be decided by their mother.

Reine_Marguerite_de_Valois.jpg

Queen Margaret of Portugal.
Pleased with his will, the King received the last rites and died peacefully a few hours later. The next day, Infante Philip was declared the 17th King of Portugal as Filipe I and the 8th ruler of the House of Aviz, founded in 1385 by John I, also known as John the Bastard (João, o Bastardo). The young boy was seen crying during his father’s funeral, but was quiet and stoic in his coronation three months later, on 8 March 1586. In a letter to his daughter, George of Lencastre described the boy as ‘Sensitive, but clever and dutiful. As the second son, His Majesty has spent too much time in the presence of women.’

Two years younger than his kingly brother, Infante Henry, Duke of Coimbra remained as heir presumptive to the Portuguese crown until Philip had a child with his intended wife, Maria de’ Medici who was still in Florence at the time. Filipe and Henrique had been close since the latter’s’ birth, sharing a tutor and a bedchamber on occasion. Their two younger siblings, Francis and Beatrice, would often be ignored by the two, as Francis was to go to the church, and Beatrice was a girl. In fact, they were so close that the Venetian ambassador wrote, ‘The King has caught a cold. The doctors think the disease to not be serious, and that he will soon recover, but the Queen Regent has thought it best to separate him from the other children, lest they get ill too. His Grace, the Duke of Coimbra found this to be disagreeable to him and made his opinion very clear on the matter.’

Unlike his brother, Henrique was temperamental and headstrong. He had fiery red hair, blue eyes and, by the age of fourteen, had become much taller than his mother. Although he was named after his maternal grandfather, King Henri II of France, many thought he resembled King François I better, and ought to have been named Francisco instead. However, he never became a point of focus for his brother’s enemies, as he was vocally loyal to his King and refused to consider any possibility of him becoming a monarch.

In 1586, the clever Margaret of Valois worked hard to gain the confidence of her son’s lords, ensuring her position as sole regent. She moved the court from the Ribeira Palace to the São Jorge Castle, an old royal residence that had been abandoned by King Manuel I and partially destroyed by an earthquake in 1531. Sebastian I had ordered its reconstruction, intending to use it as his main residence, but it finished only in 1584, two months after the death of Infante John. The mourning court thus never had the chance to move, but Queen Margaret thought it would be more suitable for her son’s childhood, away from the ghost of King Sebastian.

1920px-LisbonCastle.jpg

The São Jorge Castle in Lisbon, Portugal.

The royal children still living in Portugal were Filipe, Henrique, Francisco, and Beatriz and they were ten, eight, seven, and six years old respectively. Because of their young age, no one thought it was surprising that the Queen requested that the children of high-ranking nobles be sent to São Jorge Castle as companions and playmates for the Infantes and Infanta. Modern historians, however, believe she did this in order to have hostages against those who could oppose her regency, an action that worked.

More importantly, Margaret arranged the marriage of the Duke of Aveiro’s only surviving child, Lady Juliana, to his cousin and closest male relative, Álvaro of Lencastre, allowing the two to share the title upon his death. Because of this, Jorge de Lencastre felt indebted to the Queen and became her most staunch ally and supporter.

It was Jorge who suggested for Margaret to betroth her son, Henrique, to one of the Duke of Braganza’s daughter, especially Isabel, who was just a year younger than the Infante. More importantly, he also reminded her of the importance of a continuation of the alliance with England, now deep in its own problems.

Thus, Margaret sent gifts to Elizabeth I and Edward Seymour, making Portugal the first catholic country to accept England’s protestant succession. In a personal letter, Margaret advocated for Elizabeth to have Edward be named the Prince of Wales. She also reminded the Queen and her adopted son that her youngest daughter, Beatrice, was still unpromised and would be willing to convert to Protestantism if it was needed for her to marry Lord Edward, second in line to the throne. Queen Elizabeth certainly entertained the idea, as it would give England a fine ally if a War of Succession were to happen, but made no promises. That Princess Beatrice was six years older than her intended was also noted, although this hadn’t held anyone back before.

Thankful to Jorge for his councils and assistance, it wasn’t difficult for her to remember that the Duke, born in 1548, was only five years older than her. Jorge was handsome and clever, beyond being one of the most powerful members of the nobility and, by 1587, the pair were already lovers.

3d7141beaf36acff1c89a766df81c675.jpg

George of Lencastre, 2nd Duke of Aveiro.

Last edited:
Fabulous update as always - I'm worried Margaret may not be making the smartest choice in her personal life, especially in the Catholic 16th century... can't wait to see what happens to the Portuguese infantes!

Fabulous update as always - I'm worried Margaret may not be making the smartest choice in her personal life, especially in the Catholic 16th century... can't wait to see what happens to the Portuguese infantes!
And Portugal really isn't the most progressive country at the moment. But I'm afraid Margaret Valois will be Margaret Valois, no matter which European country she is.

Sadly, everyone, I have been diagnosed with covid-19. I'm still at home, and doing okay, but I'm extremely tired, and don't have enough strength in me to sit in front of my computer to write. I don't have a laptop, so I can't even write while laying down. We might be looking at a week or two without any updates, or maybe, since my college is return 02/08, a little bit more time. I don't intend to abandon this TL, since I really enjoy writing it, but we might be a while without any new chapters </3

Sadly, everyone, I have been diagnosed with covid-19. I'm still at home, and doing okay, but I'm extremely tired, and don't have enough strength in me to sit in front of my computer to write. I don't have a laptop, so I can't even write while laying down. We might be looking at a week or two without any updates, or maybe, since my college is return 02/08, a little bit more time. I don't intend to abandon this TL, since I really enjoy writing it, but we might be a while without any new chapters </3
Oh, dear! I am sorry to hear that! I hope you get better soon :) And don't worry about the TL meanwhile. We'll be here when you get better

Thank you and obrigada to everyone <3 <3
I'm keeping myself hopeful and optimistic. I've had some bumps in the road, but fortunately I live with someone who is a doctor for over 30 years, has seen many cases and knows exactly what to do. I'm sure I'll find myself back to health in no time.

She also reminded the Queen and her adopted son that her youngest daughter, Beatrice, was still unpromised and would be willing to convert to Protestantism if it was needed for her to marry Lord Edward, second in line to the throne.
Would it be pushing too much to have this match happen? Taking advantage of my bedrest to sort out my notes and the marriage game.
Making an alliance with a protestant power makes more sense, but poor Beatrice has few other marriage options.

Last edited:
Would it be pushing too much to have this match happen? Taking advantage of my bedrest to sort out my notes and the marriage game.
Making an alliance with a protestant power makes more sense, but poor Beatrice has few other marriage options.
Well, with the anti Spanish stance that Portuguese have been taking, it might make sense. Also, Margaret better tread carefully re:her affair with the Duke of Aveiro.