With two powerful families by his side, Philip felt secure in performing a coup d'etat against his mother and her lover, the Duke of Aveiro. Just before midnight, on 13, March 1595, King Philip and fifty guardsmen overpowered the guards of the Duke of Aveiro and Queen Margaret, who were found sleeping in the same bed. There, Philip announced their arrests for charges of conspiracy and sedition against the King, charges which were treasonous according to Portuguese law at the time. As evidence, Philip produced a letter written by his mother to George of Lencastre, planning the continuation of the regency despite his majority in 1589.

#teamPhilip and hope that his self-rule would turn out well for him and Portugal, also George of Lencaster and Margaret got what they deserved.

Ooh excellent, I'm glad to see that Phillip is asserting himself as king, and hopefully, he'll be able to beat back his Spanish cousin...

Chapter Forty One - Ivan V
land.jpg

The lands inherited by Ivan V.

Tsar Ivan IV of Russia called Ivan the Terrible or Ivan the Formidable (Ива́н Гро́зный or Ivan Grozny) died in 13, January 1595 after a series of strokes starting in 1584 that left him paralyzed and weakened his health. He was immediately succeeded as Tsar by his eldest son, Ivan Ivanovich, who was thirty-nine years old at the time. Ivan was married to the Polish Grand Duchess Anna Genrikhievna Valois.

To his other two sons, Feodor and Dmitry, Ivan the Terrible left as appanages the cities of Tver and Uglich, respectively. Dmitry and his mother, the unpopular Maria Nagaya, retired from court to his dominions in 1596, where Dmitry, who had ill health, died in 1597 at the age of fifteen.

Feodor Ivanovich however remained in Moscow as his brother’s heir presumptive. Ivan and Anne Valois had three daughters, but no son: Anastasia (1590), Catherine (1592) and Elizabeth (1593), the latter being named after Queen Elizabeth I of England. Without a tsarevich, it was feared that the incompetent and sickly Feodor would ascend to the throne if his brother were to die. Anna was pregnant at the time of her father-in-law’s death, though, and the longed-for male heir Alexander was born on 02 April 1595.

To celebrate the arrival of his son, Ivan Ivanovich ordered the construction of a new palace in Moscow made in western fashion, reportedly to please his beloved wife. This palace, known in Russia as the Palace of Love, or Дворец Любви Dvorets Lyubvi in Russian, would become the main residence of the Tsarinas in Moscow until its destruction by a fire in 1649.

devuska-v-kokoshnike5.jpg

Tsarina Anna Genrikhievna in a 20th century portrait.

Despite their age difference of over twenty years, Anna and Ivan enjoyed a close relationship, and the Tsar was known to not take any mistresses. Anna was considered clever, with a good grasp of mathematics, but was, more importantly, devotedly religious. After her arrival in Russia and the lonely month that followed the dismissal of her Polish attendants, she had taken much comfort in the Orthodox Church, which helped to improve her Russian and endear her to the people. Ivan considered her to be good and faithful, as seen in a letter to her brother, Sigismund of Poland, where he described her as “Gentle and loving. Your dear sister has given me much strength over the years in the form of her support and our children, who are close to my heart.”

Anna, however, was not popular with the boyars, the highest-ranking members of the Russian nobility, who resented her for her influence on her husband. During the 14th and 15th centuries, the boyars of Moscow had considerable influence. However, starting with the reign of Ivan III, the boyars were starting to lose that influence to the authoritative tsars in Russia. Because of Ivan III's expansionist policies, administrative changes were needed in order to ease the burden of governing Moscow and Russia. Small principalities knew their loyal subjects by name, but after the consolidation of territories under Ivan, familial loyalty and friendship with the boyar's subjects turned those same subjects into administrative lists. The face of provincial rule disappeared.

1000_Anastsia_Romanovna.jpg

Statue of Anastasia Romanovna.

The boyars were believed by Ivan IV to have killed his first wife, and Anna’s mother-in-law, Anastasia Romanovna in 1560 by poisoning after she died from a lingering illness. Further examination of her bone remains in the late 20th century by archaeologists and forensics experts have been able to provide evidence that could actually sustain his claim. The high levels of mercury in her hair could be symptomatic of poisoning. While mercury was also used as a cure, leading to some debates around the issue, the found levels of mercury were too high according to the experts and thus the poisoning version remains the most accepted one.

Ivan V believed his father’s claim, however, and, desirous to prevent the same thing from happening to his wife, decided to end the independent power of the Boyars and westernize Russia to a degree. It was thus, in 1596, that the Time of Troubles began.

Tsarskiy_titulyarnik_feodor_iv.jpg

Tsar Ivan V.

Last edited:
Fascinating! I know so little about Russian history at this time that I actually have no idea how it differs from otl but it certainly seems like there is some earlier westernization going on. And this new tsar Ivan v is the one who Ivan IV killed IOTL, yeah?

Ivan was married to the Polish Grand Duchess Anna Henrievna Valois.

Minor nitpick, but it'd be Genrikhievna not "Henrievna" as Henry in Russian is spelled Genrikh, for example: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genrikh_Yagoda

Ivan V believed his father’s claim, however, and, desirous to prevent the same thing from happening to his wife, decided to end the independent power of the Boyars and westernize Russia to a degree. It was thus, in 1596, that the Time of Troubles began.

It's interesting how could ToT begin in the reality where there is an adult Tsar with son in cradle, since OTL Time of Troubles was succesion crisis first and foremost and there is not one incoming in TTL's Russia.

I actually have no idea how it differs from otl

Tl;dr - IOTL this mentally handicapped Feodor succeeded his father since Ivan Ivanovich (the one who became Tsar ITTL) did not die at his father's hands - the story about Ivan IV killing his son is likely false, Ivan Ivanovich was reported to be ill some time before his death and while the argument with father likely accelerated this death (and this agreement was about him beating his son's wife while she was pregnant), Ivan did not take any action towards killing his son. Guess, the bigger pedigree (being daughter of king of Poland) and the younger age of Ivan Ivanovich's TTL wife helped, since Ivan IV was less likely to beat her and she had her first pregnancy when her husband already was Tsar.
OTL's Feodor's reign was a disaster, guy was a pushover, dumber (but I guess a bit saner) version of Henry VI and was dominated by the guy called Boris Godunov (who was quite capable) who gave Feodor a brilliant idea to marry his sister and since in Russia, being brother-in-law of deceased monarch was enough to have some claim even without being a blood relative of said monarch, Boris took the throne after Feodor died, but it was not very popular - his capabilities made him many enemies, fearing Boris's retaliation, many nobles loathed his relatively low birth and the famine happened and everything started going to shit, there were rumors about surviving son of Ivan IV being out there, so the rebellions started in the name of that son and there is when the fun began (IOTL)
However, the direction of this TL is entirely different thing since Ivan Ivanovich is still alive and has a son and Dmitry of Uglich died aged fifteen.

Last edited:
Tl;dr - IOTL this mentally handicapped Feodor succeeded his father since Ivan Ivanovich (the one who became Tsar IOTL) did not die - the story about Ivan IV killing his son is likely false, Ivan Ivanovich was reported to be ill some time before his death and while the argument with father likely accelerated this death (and this agreement was about him beating his son's wife while she was pregnant), Ivan did not take any action towards killing his son. Guess, the bigger pedigree (being daughter of king of Poland) and the younger age of Ivan Ivanovich's TTL wife helped, since Ivan IV was less likely to beat her and she had her first pregnancy when her husband already was Tsar.
OTL's Feodor's reign was a disaster, guy was a pushover, dumber (but I guess a bit saner) version of Henry VI and was dominated by the guy called Boris Godunov (who was quite capable) who gave Feodor a brilliant idea to marry his sister and since in Russia, being brother-in-law of deceased monarch was enough to have some claim even without being a blood relative of said monarch, Boris took the throne after Feodor died, but it was not very popular - his capabilities made him many enemies, fearing Boris's retaliation, many nobles loathed his relatively low birth and the famine happened and everything started going to shit, there were rumors about surviving son of Ivan IV being out there, so the rebellions started in the name of that son and there is when the fun began (IOTL)
However, the direction of this TL is entirely different thing since Ivan Ivanovich is still alive and has a son and Dmitry of Uglich died aged fifteen.
Fascinating! I know so little about Russian history at this time that I actually have no idea how it differs from otl but it certainly seems like there is some earlier westernization going on. And this new tsar Ivan v is the one who Ivan IV killed IOTL, yeah?
It's interesting how could ToT begin in the reality where there is an adult Tsar with son in cradle, since OTL Time of Troubles was succesion crisis first and foremost and there is not one incoming in TTL's Russia.

Yeah, these ToT will be very different than what happened OTL, but they will be basically a civil war, so we'll how far into westernization can Ivan V go.

And yes, this Ivan is the one Ivan the Terrible killed OTL.

Family Tree
House of Aviz

Philip I of Portugal (1575-) m. Maria de’ Medici (1575-)
  1. Infante João Filipe, Prince of Portugal (1592-) b. Princess Elizabeth (1594-)
  2. Infanta Maria (1594-) b. Alfonso de Albuquerque, 4th Duke of Goa (1594-)
  3. Infanta Joana (1595-)
  4. Infante Sebastião (1597-)
  5. Infante Henrique (1600-)
  6. Infante Pedro (1602-)

House Stuart

King James VI of Scotland (1566-) m. Catherine Michelle of Spain (1567-)

1. Princess Mary of Scotland (1585-)
  2. Prince Henry Philip, Duke of Rothesay (1587-) b. Archduchess Maria of Austria (1584-)
  3. Princess Catherine of Scotland (1590-)
  4. Prince Charles (1592-)
  5. Princess Elizabeth (1594-) b. Infante João Filipe, Prince of Portugal (1592-)
  6. Prince James (1597-)
  7. Prince Alexander (1600-)

House of Habsburg

Spanish:

Philip II of Spain (1527-1593). Died of cancer. m. a) Maria Manuela of Portugal (1527-1545); b) Mary I of England (1516-1558); c) Elisabeth of Valois (1545-1573); d) Elisabeth of Austria (1554-)
  1. A) Infante Charles, Prince of Asturias (1545-1568)

1. C) Infanta Isabel Clara Eugenia (1566-) m. William Wittelsbach (1569)
  2. C) Infanta Catalina Micaela (1567-) b. James Stuart, Duke of Rothesay (1566-)
  3. C) Infante Carlos Fernando, Prince of Asturias (1569-1574). Died of intestinal problems.
  4. C) Infante Felipe, Prince of Asturias (1572-) m. Catherine de Valois, Queen of Navarre (1576-)
  5. C) Infanta María Leonor (1573-) m. Henri III of France (1571-)

1. D) King Johan I of Burgundy (1577-) b. Louise Juliana of Orange-Nassau (1576-)
  2. D) Infanta Juana (1580-). A nun.
  3. D) Infante Fernando (1582-1585)
  4. D) Infanta Margarita (1583-) b. Prince Francesco Sebastiano

Philip III of Spain (1572-) m. Catherine de Valois, Queen of Navarre (1576-)
  1. Infanta Luisa of Spain and Navarre (1593-)
  2. Infante Felipe, Prince of Asturias and Viana (1595-)
  3. Infante Fernando of Spain and Navarre (1597-) b. Maria of Burgundy (1596-)
  4. Infanta Catalina of Spain and Navarre (1600-)
  5. Infanta María of Spain and Navarre (1602-)
  6. Infanta Isabel of Spain and Navarre (1605-)

Dutch:

King Johan I of Burgundy (1577-) m. Louise Juliana of Orange-Nassau (1576-)

1. Johan of Burgundy (1594-) b. Anne Elisabeth of France (1593-)
  2. Maria of Burgundy (1596-) b. Infante Fernando of Spain (1597-)
  3. Philip of Burgundy (1599-)
  4. Margaretha of Burgundy (1601-)
  5. Wilhelmina of Burgundy (1602-)
  6. Karel of Burgundy (1605-)

Austrian:

Ernest I, Holy Roman Emperor (1553-) m. Elizabeth Bathóry (1560-)

1. Archduchess Maria (1584-) b. Prince Henry Philip, Duke of Rothesay (1587-)
  2. Archduke Maximilian (1586-) b. Princess Margherita of Savoy (1584-)
  3. Archduchess Johanna (1587-) b. Cosimo de' Medici (1590-)
  4. Archduke Ferdinand (1589-1589). Died shortly after birth.
  5. Archduke Charles (1591-) b. Anne Elisabeth of France (1593-)
  6. Archduchess Anna (1593-)

House of Valois

Henry III of France (1571-) m. Mary Eleanor of Spain (1573-)
  1. Dauphin Francis Valois (1590-) b. Maria Carlotta of Savoy (158:cool:
  2. Anne Elisabeth of France (1593-) b. John of Burgundy (1594-)
  3. Henry, Duke of Orléans (1595-)
  4. Marie of France (159:cool:
  5. Marguerite of France (1600-)
  6. Louise of France (1603-)
  7. Charles of France (1605-1605). Died at two months of age.

Polish Branch:

Henry III of Poland (1551-) m. a) Jadwiga of Poland (1554-1590); b) Anna Vasa of Sweden (156:cool:
  1. A) Anna Walezjuszka (1575-) m. Ivan Ivanovich Rurikid (1554-)
  2. A) Zygmunt Walezjusz (157:cool: m. Anna of Prussia (1576-)
  3. A) Henryk Walezjusz (1581-) m. Marie of Prussia (1579-)
  4. A) Katarzyna Walezjuszka (1583-1583). Died shortly after birth.

1. B) Maria Walezjuszka (1592-)
  2. B) Karol Walezjusz (1594-1597)
  3. B) Izabela Walezjuszka (1595-)
  4. B) Jadwiga Walezjuszka (1597-1597). Died at six months of age.
  5. B) Ludwik Walezjusz (1600-)

Sigismund of Poland (1578) m. Anna of Prussia (1576-)
  1. Maria of Poland and Prussia (1595-)
  2. Henryk of Poland and Prussia (1597-)
  3. Jan of Poland and Prussia (1600-)

House de’ Medici

Francesco de' Medici, Grand Prince of Tuscany (1541-) m. Joanna of Austria (1547-1578)

1. Eleonora de' Medici (1567-) m. Vincenzo I Gonzaga, Duke of Mantua.
  2. Romola de' Medici (1568-1569) died in infancy.
  3. Anna de' Medici (1569-1584) died unmarried.
  4. Isabella de' Medici (1571-1572) died in infancy.
  5. Lorenzo de' Medici (1572-) m. Infanta Joana of Portugal (1572-)
  6. Maria de' Medici (1575-) m. Filipe I of Portugal.
  7. Filippo de' Medici (1577-1582) died in childhood.
  8. Stillborn son (1578).

Lorenzo de’ Medici, Prince of Florence (1572-) m. Infanta Joana of Portugal (1572-)
  1. Cosimo de’ Medici (1590-) b. Archduchess Johanna of Austria (1587-)

House of Savoy

Charles Emmanuel I, King of Savoy (1562-) m. A) Caterina of Portugal (1569-1595); B) Beatrice of Portugal (1580-)
  1. A) Princess Margherita (1584-)
  2. A) Prince Francesco Sebastiano (1585-) b. Infanta Margarita of Spain (1583-)
  3. A) Princess Maria Carlotta (158:cool: b. Dauphin Francis (1590-)
  4. A) Prince Carlo Luigi (1590-)
  5. A) Princess Maria Caterina (1593-)
  6. A) Princess Giuseppina Micaela. Twin to Giovanni Emanuele. (1595-)
  7. A) Prince Giovanni Emanuele. Twin to Giuseppina Micaela. (1595-)

House Seymour

King Edward VII (1561-) m. Arbella Stuart (1572-)
  1. Edward (1586-)
  2. Elizabeth, twin to Katherine (1587-)
  3. Katherine, twin to Elizabeth (1587-)
  4. Richard (1589-1592)
  5. Henry (1590-)
  6. Anne (1593-)
  7. Mary (1595-1600)
  8. Charles (1599-1599)
  9. John (1600-)
  10. Margaret (1602-)
  11. Eleanor (1605-)

Rurikid
Ivan Ivanovich (1554-) m. Anna Walezjuszka (1575-)
  1. Anastasia Ivanovna (1590-)
  2. Ekaterina Ivanovna (1592-)
  3. Elizaveta Ivanovna (1593-)
  4. Aleksándr Ivanovich (1595-)
  5. Maria Ivanovna (1597-)

Sorry for the delay in updates. As mentioned in my other thread, I'm currently going through some health issues, and am unable to update as frequently as I liked. To make matters worse, I have little to no inspiration in regards to this thread, so we will see even more time before another chapter, though I hope to put one out in the next week. Hope you can understand.

And these emojis will be the death of me.

Nice trees!
And these emojis will be the death of me.
I feel like the Mods should fix this or something. It isn't really an issue in non-pre 1900 forums since they don't do trees as often but it's quite annoying for us here in the early modern days!