Chapter Forty Two - Edward VII
wilhelmmina: WI: Elizabeth I doesn’t adopt Edward VII?

So, everyone knows how the Seymours got into power. To prevent a catholic succession, Elizabeth I legally adopted Edward, 1st Duke of Buckingham and Somerset. This made him her eldest son and heir apparent to the English throne. So what if she doesn’t? Maybe she doesn’t have this idea, or changes her mind about bringing him to court when he is 10. What happens now?

trastamaraas: @tudorrose @seymore

ProudWing: Union of the Crowns, as James VI of Scotland will inherit the crown, and considering his devotion to the catholic faith, we might see a second Bloody Mary on him trying to bring England back to the papal fold.

kelly: chaos, that’s what we’d see

scottishpride: I second Kelly and, let me just say, fuck them English. I’m glad we never united with them.

tudorrose: I doubt James VI would inherit the crown as the line of his great-grandmother, Margaret Tudor, had been disinherited by H8. After Edward, the most senior heir under H8’s will was Anne Stanley, Countess of Castlehaven. Though we could see a second Jane Grey or a different War of English Succession.

seymore: why would we want something like that to happen?

--

800px-James_I_of_England_404446.jpg

Edward VII of England
220px-COA_of_Seymour.svg.png

The coat of arms of House Seymour

Queen Elizabeth I of England, also called Gloriana, the Virgin Queen and Good Queen Bess, died on 24 March 1600 at the age of sixty-six. She had ruled for forty-one years in an era called the Elizabethan Era or the Golden Age of England. Elizabeth is known for her virginity and determination to secure a protestant succession to her throne. A cult of personality grew around her which was celebrated in the portraits, pageants, and literature of the day. The period of her reign is famous for the flourishing of English drama, led by playwrights such as William Shakespeare and Christopher Marlowe, and for the seafaring prowess of English adventurers such as Francis Drake. Towards the end of her reign, a series of economic and military problems weakened her popularity.

Elizabeth is acknowledged as a charismatic performer and a dogged survivor in an era when the government was ramshackle and limited, and when monarchs in neighbouring countries faced internal problems that jeopardised their thrones. After the short reigns of her half-siblings, her years on the throne provided welcome stability for the kingdom and helped forge a sense of national identity.

Her chosen successor, as seen by her will, was her first cousin twice removed and adopted son Edward Seymour, 1st Duke of Buckingham and Somerset. Two days after the Queen’s death, the English Parliament confirmed her last wishes and declared for Edward as Edward VII. Two months after Elizabeth’s death, he was crowned in Westminster Abbey in a protestant ceremony alongside his wife, Arbella Stuart, who was a first cousin to the other claimant to the throne, King James VI of Scotland.

lady_arbella_stuart-by-marcus-gheeraerts-the-younger.jpg

Queen Arbella Stuart

As did other European rulers such as Philip III of Spain and Charles Emmanuel of Savoy, James Stuart refused to recognize his cousin as the King of England and began to style himself as James VI & I, King of Scotland, England and Ireland. He also added the English and Irish crests to his coat of arms. James, who was married to Catherine of Spain, allied himself with his brother-in-law, though he failed to convince John I of Burgundy to join his cause.

And so began the War of English Succession.

1030px-Coat_of_Arms_of_England_%281603-1649%29.svg.png

King James VI' coat of arms.

Long live King Edward VII Seymour of England!!!!!!!!!!! Brilliant update! Hopefully Eddie can fight of the Scots.

Great TL, love how everything so familiar but different at the same time.

Also weren't Margaret's memoirs and personal letters be destroyed once she was dead. I feel like her son were toss her personal affects into a fire just to spite her once she gone. Especially with how she tried to hang on to power.

Great TL, love how everything so familiar but different at the same time.

Also weren't Margaret's memoirs and personal letters be destroyed once she was dead. I feel like her son were toss her personal affects into a fire just to spite her once she gone. Especially with how she tried to hang on to power.
I think there's still time for them to reconcile, no?

Chapter Forty Three - A Historical TV Show
SERIES REVIEW: A Royal Feud (2019) created by Anna Muylaert.

Rate: 10/10. Couldn’t have been better.

What a tv show. What a tv show! WHAT A TV SHOW!

When I tell you, I love this, I mean it. This series was perfect in every conceivable way. Absolutely perfect!

Dmdob38VAAAeV7T.jpg

A Royal Feud or Mãe e Filho in its original title is a Portuguese-Italian-French tv show about the feud between King Philip I of Portugal and his mother, Queen Margaret during the late 1580s and early 1590s. The background and setting is the Colonial War between Portugal and Spain, something that gets its fair share of mentions throughout the runtime, which is just enough to leave you aware of what is going on.

If I had to be honest, I had high expectations for this show, since it was based directly on the memoirs of Queen Margaret herself. Margarida wrote her version of the events during her imprisonment (more on that later) and was very honest about everything that happened. As one of the few people to have actually read Her Majesty’s memoirs, I was pleasantly surprised to see many of the small details mentioned by Margaret in the series, such as Infanta Beatriz’s allergy to prawns.

With five episodes and each episode containing around one hour of screentime, one would think it would be tiring to watch everything at once but I barely felt it as I binged this one season in just one weekend. What is happening onscreen is so interesting that the minutes fly by and suddenly five episodes are gone.

mqdefault.jpg

The funeral of the King.

The story starts with the funeral of King Sebastian (who is referred to only as the King through the show’s runtime) in 1585 and the ascension of his son, King Philip, aged just ten. As his mother, Queen Margarida is given the regency, though she has to contend with the nobles, who want more power. They always do and the first episode is dedicated just to her attempting to assert her rule and maintain her children close.

Margaret is portrayed by French actress Thaïs Moineau as a loving mother who faces difficulties in ruling Portugal both because of her gender and because of her nationality. As she tries to do her duty to her children, the memory and loss of Sebastian begin to weigh on her, as does the memory of her lost children, João and Maria. She turns to her closest advisors for help, especially Jorge of Lencastre, portrayed here by Ernesto Guimarães. I was very wary of how they were going to transition their relationship from formal respect to longing love, especially since they portrayed Margaret’s grief for Sebastian so powerfully.

0,,13265210,00.jpg

Queen Margaret.

But it is grief that brings them together. Rather scandalously, actually. One day, Margaret is at church, crying, and we find out it is the anniversary of the death of her oldest son, João Manuel, who was once heir to the throne. Jorge of Lencastre enters the chapel to pray for reason unknown and comforts her, reminding her that João, like his father, is with God and in a better place. This helps Margaret alleviate her mourning and causes her to see Jorge in a new light.

So we don’t actually know when their affair began exactly, but the series has us believe it begins in late December 1586, which is where most historians usually place it. Margaret feels very guilty for the attraction that she feels to Jorge of Lencastre, but that doesn’t stop her from tumbling with him if you know what I mean *wink wink*. The affair is hot and heavy in just the right way without any gratuitous nudity or strange sex scenes.

16864d8e271b2d66b13d65883a23be7f.jpg

Jorge of Lencastre

The second episode is basically dedicated to the beginnings of their affair, while the third shows Margaret continuing her regency even after King Philip, who saw his mother and Jorge kiss at a distance and is none too happy about it, reaches his majority. This, obviously, doesn’t please Filipe, but with little allies beyond his brothers and sister, he does nothing. Episode three ends with his marriage to Maria de’ Medici, portrayed by the fabulous Italian actress Caterina Meranda, and his promise to Jorge of Lencastre to take him down (which is done in a ball, of all places).

tumblr_n2w8gxQ2AS1tszb9xo5_500.jpg

Maria de' Medici.

Episode four chronicles the beginning of the Colonial War and the loss of Pernambuco to Spanish armies, as well as the birth of Filipe’s two oldest children João Filipe and Maria. That Princess Maria was not named after her grandmother is noted, though we do have a scene of Maria, the Queen, arguing against using her own name for her child. As we all know, Maria de’ Medici was actually supportive of Margaret and Jorge of Lencastre, since they were the de facto rulers of Portugal (when her husband made a coup, she was supportive of him too though, so what is loyalty anyway?).

And episode five. Ah, episode five. If episode five had been a movie, it would have won an Oscar. Many Oscars. The acting was excellent, the photography and direction were on points. Episode five depicts the fall from power of Margaret and her lover, as well as the arrest of both Margaret and Jorge of Lencastre. Margaret screams and cries for her beloved, but nothing sways her son. It is clear on his face what feels about the Duke.

The series ends with an incredibly emotional scene between mother and son that I can’t even begin to describe. King Philip goes to her mother to ask her to repent from her sins of adultery and treason, which Margaret refuses to do. She asks him to release the Duke of Aveiro, which he refuses to do. In over ten minutes of pure conversation, both Filipe and Margarida explain their reasoning and seem to also beg for the other’s forgiveness. I have found an online partial copy of the script, which I translated here:

FILIPE
Why did you betray the King? Why did you betray his memory, mother?

Margaret looks at him. She doesn’t believe what he is saying.

MARGARET
I was alone with four children who needed raising still.

Filipe shakes his head.

FILIPE
(offended)
I did not need a second father.

Margaret doesn’t say anything. She looks away. Filipe too looks away from her. They are no longer mother and son. They are strangers now.

FILIPE
The Duke of Aveiro will be executed for his crimes. As for you... For your crimes against the crown, I hereby exile you from the Kingdom of Portugal and its dominions. You may go wherever you like. I don’t care anymore.

Filipe leaves.

Do I need to say more? Go watch this tv show now! It's incredible! They took the time to make both Filipe and Margaret three-dimensional and compelling characters, unlike The Royal Affair of 1985, which put the blame solely on Margaret. There is no villain here, except maybe the Spaniards, or good guy. Everyone makes mistakes, everyone will offend at least someone.

Thank you for reading this and I’ll see you next week on another review here on Art of History.

Olga of Kiev.

The End
It's with a sad heart that I announce that I no longer intend to update this thread. I don't know what happened, but my flow of creativity has run thin and now it's gone. I'm sorry for anyone who was expecting more, and I am willing to answer any question you have for the end of certain characters. Just PM me. Thanks for those who stayed from beginning till the end.

It's with a sad heart that I announce that I no longer intend to update this thread. I don't know what happened, but my flow of creativity has run thin and now it's gone. I'm sorry for anyone who was expecting more, and I am willing to answer any question you have for the end of certain characters. Just PM me. Thanks for those who stayed from beginning till the end.
No problem, do what you want and enjoy doing, if you lose interest in doing a certain project, it’s best you scrap it or take a break from it, rather than continuing to make updates.

I wish you the best of success in your future ventures. I agree wholeheartedly with RedKing's words.