A Hedgehog in the Big N (Sonic Team at Nintendo)

Let’s Look at the New IP from Sonic Team (and the Rest of Nintendo’s Games in 1995)
In case you don’t know, but back in the early 1990s IOTL, before Camelot was part of Nintendo, Camelot was once part of Sega, albeit known as “Sonic! Software Planning”. However, due to the failure of the Sega Genesis ITTL, this means that half of the members of “Sonic! Software Planning” were working with Sonic Team (when they are part of Nintendo right now ITTL). However, it appears that aside from Sonic and Ristar, Sonic Team’s newest IP (as of 1995) was…
hix-0CEjyJWqaK9s7yM9WZHQ1xWfy4jgLjDrmdK3tX3ye8erKGguFmx0xO7KM4-kYbPPiVDgsv5ELCl36idFht2uNdfc4N9bllrRUTv4Dxl5MTM_tfZphDsqhmZudHmJlb78c4bX

What IP were you expecting, NiGHTS?
Released on the Super-CD in 1995, Golden Sun was the hit RPG game on the Super-CD (next to Chrono Trigger), it was Sonic Team’s newest IP at the time of 1995, it was critically acclaimed, so on and so forth. This Golden Sun game on the Super-CD ITTL is basically OTL’s Golden Sun games on the Game Boy Advance (the original and The Lost Age). Therefore, you have the first two Golden Sun games from OTL combined into one single game ITTL. It may not be made by Camelot like IOTL, but it’s still pretty good. So, what else do we have for Nintendo?

So far, for the rest of Nintendo’s games in 1995, we have Donkey Kong Land (Game Boy), Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy’s Kong Quest (Super-CD), Earthbound/Mother 2 (Super-CD), Yoshi’s Island: A Super Mario Story (Super-CD), Star Fox 2 (Super-CD), Mario’s Tennis (SNES), Mario Clash (Arcade), Teleroboxer (Arcade), and some other games Nintendo has released in 1995, but that’s all I can think of.

Meanwhile, at Sega’s side, they’ve been a third-party game company, Alex Kidd was their mascot, and so far, in the early 1990s, Sega has released Puyo Puyo outside of Japan somewhere in late-1992 or early-1993 (albeit renamed to “Puyo Pop”), and it’s been one of the biggest arcade hits next to Street Fighter II and Mortal Kombat. Thanks to that, Sega has been thinking about buying Compile (the creators of Puyo Puyo).
Sega bought Compile in 1998.
That’s it for 1995, but what about the Nintendo PlayStation (a combination of two gaming consoles from OTL, Nintendo 64 and Sony PlayStation)? Right now, I’ll think about the launch titles for the Nintendo PlayStation (as well as the games released after the release of the NPS) anytime soon.

Right now, in 1995, it’s Nintendo’s PlayStation vs. NEC’s TurboGrafx-32 (known as PC-FX outside of Japan) vs. Microsoft’s XBox! Whoever wins, we can only find out in 1996 (and other years too)!
Also, I forgot to mention, HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Sega has been thinking about buying Compile (the creators of Puyo Puyo).
Amazing update, very Nice seeing Golden Sun Early(again members of Sonic team and software planning worked on phantasy star, the idea of making their own rpg might come from it)

A Look Into the Nintendo PlayStation
What is the Nintendo PlayStation? It’s a combination of two gaming consoles from OTL, Nintendo 64 and Sony PlayStation. For what the console looks like, it’ll look like a mixture between OTL’s Nintendo 64 and Sony PlayStation, and the controller is like the DualShock controller from OTL. It was released in 1994 (in Japan) and 1995 (outside of Japan). Now, let’s get to the notable launch titles!
  • Air Combat (North American launch title)
  • Battle Arena Toshinden (North American launch title)
  • Clockwork Knight (North American and European launch title)
  • Daytona USA (North American and European launch title)
  • Gokujou Parodius Da! Deluxe Pack (Japanese launch title)
  • Mario’s Super Sports (It’s a Super Mario sports game developed by TOSE, which contains tennis, baseball, bowling, golf, and boxing)
  • Mega Man: The Wily Wars (North American and European launch title)
  • Myst
  • NBA JAM Tournament Edition (North American launch title)
  • Pilotwings 3D (OTL’s Pilotwings 64)
  • Rayman (North American launch title)
  • Ridge Racer
  • TAMA (Japanese launch title)
  • Virtua Fighter
  • Wipeout (European launch title)
There are way more launch titles than that, but that’s all I can think of.

As for NEC’s TurboGrafx-32 (known as PC-FX outside of Japan) and Microsoft’s XBox? That’ll be up to you, and I’ll take them as suggestions.

Also, when we get to 1996, let’s get to some games released for the Nintendo PlayStation, and these include Super Mario 3D Land, Sonic the Hedgehog 3D, and other games, as well as a certain new gaming IP starring a certain orange marsupial known for spinning like a tornado and breaking crates, you know the one.

Also, when we get to 1996, let’s get to some games released for the Nintendo PlayStation, and these include Super Mario 3D Land, Sonic the Hedgehog 3D, and other games, as well as a certain new gaming IP starring a certain orange marsupial known for spinning like a tornado and breaking crates, you know the one.
AH interesting, very nice list buddy, you should do one the PC-FX and the Xbox too

Looking at the Mega Man series in This Timeline (Part 1)
Ok, now let’s get to the Mega Man series in this timeline.

When it comes to the Mega Man games, Mega Man 1 through 6 stayed the same as they did IOTL, as did the first three Mega Man X games, albeit on the Super-CD. Now, you may be wondering about the other games, huh? First off, let’s look at Mega Man 7.

Mega Man 7 was released on the SNES in September 1995 in Japan and March 1996 outside of Japan. The sprites instead are very similar to those of OTL's Wily Wars, albeit with the adjusted colors and a bit more expressive, especially in cutscenes within the game.

Meanwhile, the plot combines elements of OTL’s Mega Man 7 and Mega Man 8. Bass and Treble are introduced as Mega Man's rivals, concluding with a dramatic match of them with their Super Adaptors. Meanwhile, Duo is also introduced, looking for the malevolent energy he is tasked with ending. [1]

As for the robot masters, the only four robot masters from OTL’s Mega Man 7 that are kept in TTL are Freeze Man, Cloud Man, Shade Man, and Turbo Man. The other four robot masters exclusive to TTL are Spear Man, Grenade Man, Beam Man, and Hornet Man [2]. The robot master order to be fought in TTL’s MM7 are:
Freeze Man->Hornet Man->Cloud Man->Beam Man->Spear Man->Shade Man->Turbo Man->Grenade Man
Now that Mega Man 7 was covered, let’s wait until Mega Man 8 gets covered [3]. But other than that, let’s get to Mega Man: The Wily Wars!

Mega Man: The Wily Wars came out on the Nintendo PlayStation in 1995 (both in Japan and outside of Japan), and it’s very different from OTL’s Wily Wars, yet the graphics are the same from OTL, albeit with the adjusted colors and a bit more expressive, especially in cutscenes within the game (just like TTL’s Mega Man 7).

Mega Man: The Wily Wars will not only have the first three Mega Man games and Wily Tower, but also Mega Man 4 through 6! Each one of the six Mega Man games (minus Wily Tower) has some new additions and changes!
  • New additions and changes to Mega Man 1: Two new robot masters, Time Man and Oil Man [4], have been added to this version, bringing the total number of Robot Masters up to the traditional eight instead of six. There’s even an intro cutscene added in! Also, there are letter pieces that spell the word “Bond” found in the stages of Cut Man, Ice Man, Fire Man, and Elec Man. Once they are collected, they unlock a secret robot master known as “Bond Man”.
  • New additions and changes to Mega Man 2: When the player loses all of their lives, they no longer lose all their E-tanks. In the original, continuing meant forfeiting any and all E-tanks remaining in the inventory, preventing players from farming the start of Metal Man's stage. Also, there are letter pieces that spell the word “Enka” found in the stages of Bubble Man, Quick Man, Flash Man, and Heat Man. Once they are collected, they unlock Enker, the first Mega Man Killer.
  • New additions and changes to Mega Man 3: The game has been balanced to be made less frustrating while still challenging too. There’s even an intro cutscene added in! Also, there are letter pieces that spell the word “Merm” found in the stages of Needle Man, Magnet Man, Hard Man, and Top Man. Once they are collected, they unlock a secret robot master known as “Mermaid Woman” [5].
  • New additions and changes to Mega Man 4: A few bells and whistles had to be included, but I’m not explaining them! Also, there are letter pieces that spell the word “Punk” found in the stages of Drill Man, Dust Man, Dive Man, and Skull Man. Once they are collected, they unlock Punk, the second Mega Man Killer.
  • New additions and changes to Mega Man 5: A few bells and whistles had to be included, but I’m also not explaining them! Also, there are letter pieces that spell the word “Dash” found in the stages of Stone Man, Charge Man, Napalm Man, and Crystal Man. Once they are collected, they unlock a secret robot master known as “Dash Man”.
  • New additions and changes to Mega Man 6: The typo in Mr. X's speech in the original Mega Man 6, "My scheme for world domination has faild!", has been fixed. Also, there are letter pieces that spell the word “Bade” found in the stages of Blizzard Man, Flame Man, Plant Man, and Wind Man. Once they are collected, they unlock Ballade, the third Mega Man Killer.
Other than that, it even has a difficulty selection menu, enhanced music, and more!

Also, as for Wily Tower, the Genesis Unit (known as the Mega World Unit ITTL) now has three additional members never seen IOTL, and they are…:
  • Melee Jockey T (based on Tang Sanzang)
  • Sage Monarch J (based on the Jade Emperor)
  • Iron Fan D (based on Princess Iron Fan)
That’s all I have for the Mega Man series ITTL………...for now.

[1] - Credit to @CountDVB for his take on Mega Man 7.
[2] - Grenade Man and Hornet Man come from OTL’s Mega Man 8 and Mega Man 9 respectively, while Spear Man and Beam Man are wholly original robot masters.
[3] - Mega Man 8 ITTL came out in August 1996 (in Japan) and February 1997 (outside of Japan), but we weren’t sure which console it came out on.
[4] - Oil Man will have a different design ITTL.
[5] - For those who don’t know, Mermaid Woman will be similar to Splash Woman from OTL’s Mega Man 9.

@MegaToon1234 Oh, thank you! And yeah, my idea for Megaman 7 was that if it was more focused on SNES and I pictured the sprites would be like that of Wily Wars and so I would see them being as ubiquitous as Mario's sprites from well, Super Mario World.

As such, the Bob and George of this world would use that sort of sprite style.

@MegaToon1234 Oh, thank you! And yeah, my idea for Megaman 7 was that if it was more focused on SNES and I pictured the sprites would be like that of Wily Wars and so I would see them being as ubiquitous as Mario's sprites from well, Super Mario World.

As such, the Bob and George of this world would use that sort of sprite style.
I know, right?

Got any other ideas?

What Else Happened ITTL?
Right now, we have NEC’s TurboGrafx-32 (known as PC-FX in Japan). Now, with Sega no longer being part of the gaming console industry ITTL, the TurboGrafx-32 is probably as successful as OTL’s Sega Saturn. Yeah, starting to notice some parallels, huh? Also, as for Microsoft’s XBox? Well, it’ll have some games from Atari (since Microsoft bought Atari ITTL), half of Sony’s OTL gaming franchises (such as Spyro the Dragon, Metal Gear Solid, and Tekken), and also some original games (but neither of them is HALO, because that game hadn’t came out yet). There. I described these two gaming consoles ITTL in a nutshell.

Anyway, what else has happened ITTL? Well, let’s take a look.
  • After the cancellation of the live-action Super Mario Bros. movie (thanks to the accidental death of Bob Hoskins), Rocky Morton and Annabel Jankel worked on a sequel to D.O.A, and it was an overnight success.
  • Golden Sun (the RPG game on the Super-CD) is credited with allowing role-playing games to gain mass-market appeal outside Japan ITTL (IOTL, it was Final Fantasy VII).
  • In 1997, after Sailor Moon Stars finished airing, a new anime took the former’s place in the airing slot, and what was it called? “RWBY”. Yep, I’m making RWBY an anime ITTL.
  • The September 11 attacks never happened as the hijackers in the September 11 attacks (including Mohamed Atta) have apparently been very ill, and also, everyone in Al-Qaeda gets assassinated by a mysterious assassin on September 12, 2001.
  • The Tokyo subway sarin attack was apparently prevented as members of the cult movement Aum Shinrikyo (including the leader Shoko Asahara) accidentally died from chemical poisoning caused by Sarin. Also, the Kobe earthquake still occurs, albeit a lot less strong. However, the Kobe earthquake is still responsible for the effects on Chouriki Sentai Ohranger.
Well, that’s all I have for this section.

Last edited:
Happy to see Golden Sun not only still exists, but maybe gets more glory making its debut off the GBA. Maybe Issac actually gets into Smash... or at least a sequel that isn't awful like Dark Dawn.

I wonder if Fire Emblem might cross over sooner.

Happy to see Golden Sun not only still exists, but maybe gets more glory making its debut off the GBA. Maybe Issac actually gets into Smash... or at least a sequel that isn't awful like Dark Dawn.

I wonder if Fire Emblem might cross over sooner.
Oh you’ll just wait and see.

Also, I intend to have Fire Emblem be Japanese exclusive.

Oof. There goes my favorite franchise and what got me writing fantasy.
Which one? FE7? SS?POR?RD? SD?

Oh you’ll just wait and see.

Also, I intend to have Fire Emblem be Japanese exclusive.
Well, that was odd...
But it’ll probably come later, I think...
Fire emblem got a lucky break OTL to be exported...again they did exported advance wars first meaning FE might have been on the cards, but Smash was the mother of all free publicity, if anything FE being japan only would be interesting long term too.FE was changed for the WEST a lot(Ike for example, was build to appeal western player, with the coming to age and more commoner/working class background)

Which one? FE7? SS?POR?RD? SD?

Fire emblem got a lucky break OTL to be exported...again they did exported advance wars first meaning FE might have been on the cards, but Smash was the mother of all free publicity, if anything FE being japan only would be interesting long term too.FE was changed for the WEST a lot(Ike for example, was build to appeal western player, with the coming to age and more commoner/working class background)

Fire Emblem... my first attempt at writing fantasy was a Fire Emblem fanfic starring Roy.

Heck, I even delivered a panel on the history of Fire Emblem at MAGfest before Covid sent 2020 into a free spiral.

I plug the panel because I break down part of what gave Fire Emblem such unique crossover appeal: Compared to most JRPGs its much more rooted in Western fantasy (Kaga was a nut for classical mythology and LoTR/Shannara), had the good luck to be anime styled during the early days of the Western anime boom, and the games themselves have mostly been really solid... plus, as you pointed out there were some early consessions to appeal outside of Japan, the big one being Ike, who was specifically designed to be the first non-noblity series protagonist to appeal to Americans.