Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure who I hate more here: Fawell for being a sactimonious ass, or Peltz for collaberating with him for money (and playing to the "Greedy Jew" stereotype).
, had at first put him in touch with Roger Stone, a self-proclaimed “dirty trickster” and Nixon fan, who’d spun up a shell charity and was using it to gather lots of money from various anonymous donors
Oh good god the Roger Stone?
Or Ted Turner and Michael Eisner - which would make Katzenberg Henson and Disney's "devil".
Nah, I'd say at the moment their on too good terms with Disney.

I'm not sure who I hate more here: Fawell for being a sactimonious ass, or Peltz for collaberating with him for money (and playing to the "Greedy Jew" stereotype).

Nah, I'd say at the moment their on too good terms with Disney.
Okay, someone speculated that Donald Trump might somehow get involved, and while I think that's unlikely, sweet Lord it sure feels like he'll show up somehow.

Last edited:
Oh hey, I just noticed Dwayne Johnson plays for the Rams TTL instead of wrestling (assuming it's the same guy and not a name's-the-same).

As for the potential takeover, this is increasingly looking like a huge gamble on the part of the Shepherds. The Faith faction will throw good money in after bad (and not a penny of it from their own pockets when they can have 'the faithful' donating money that should pay for rent), but the Fiscal faction might get cold feet or hit a wall if they can't split the Disney clan or cleave off other board members. There's a real potential all this borrowing is going to come to naught if they can't win, which is going to have severe reverberations across the markets when debts start getting called.

Interesting days ahead for the thread!

Holy shit. The Good Shephard Group feels like a goddamn Legion of Doom! And just laying down the reasoning of who could flip and why makes a lot of sense! I can't wait to see how it plays out or, indeed, if it even does so.

“when the Angel of the Lord took me on high into the firmament and did show unto me a great and gleaming castle. It was a beautiful edifice built by a God-fearing man in the service of traditional American values. But the Angel bade me to look closer, and I then did see the rot within. Witches and demons and heretics and adulterers and sodomites had taken the castle, and were turning it into an outpost of Babylon.”
Satire magazines are going to go bankrupt. Imagine trying to have to come up with something more absurd than "God speaks to me and says we need to invade Disneyland!".

Time to should change his priestley robes for a jacket that closes on the back.
Nelson Peltz sat in the audience and almost immediately began to question this alliance. The plans had started well. His acquaintance, RNC Operative and former congressman and presidential candidate Newt Gingrich, had at first put him in touch with Roger Stone, a self-proclaimed “dirty trickster” and Nixon fan, who’d spun up a shell charity and was using it to gather lots of money from various anonymous donors. An underhanded move, but apparently wholly legal. Stone also recruited Stan Kroenke to the plan, knowing that Kroenke still held a lingering grudge over the Rams being “stolen” from him by Disney. Offering Kroenke Disney’s stake in the Angels, and possibly the Avengers depending on the final monetary amount provided, was the bait needed to pull in Kroenke, and through him the wealth of the Walton family of Walmart fame. In fact, the whole Good Sports Division could be broken up and sold off to help pay down the debt and margin calls, once the 51% was secured, which helped alleviate some of the risk for the fiscally-minded investors
Someone has made a deal with the devil and it isn't Jim Henson.
Peltz, who was a Secular Jew, had little use in fighting Falwell’s Conservative Christian culture war and was suspicious of Falwell’s intentions with him, despite Falwell’s assurances that he supported Peltz’s “people” in principle as men of God and fully supported the State of Israel, a question that Peltz hadn’t asked
It's always a good sign when your new partner assures you that they're not an antisemite unprompted.🤨
To Falwell and Robertson and a select group of conservative evangelical ministers and televangelists, the plan amounted to a surgical strike to “drive the serpents from the garden”, reestablish Disney as a “moral, Christian company”, and also give “men of God” a bully pulpit by which to spread the word of the Lord (as they saw it) to the children of the world, putting an end to “sinful tales of witches and voodoo and Muslims and pagan gods” and raising them on proper Biblical narratives. And Katzenberg, despite being another Secular Jew, had delivered in this latter aspect already with The Prince of Egypt.
Oh God can we get Holmes a Court back please? At least he only wanted to sell off the company for a quick profit and not turn it into a mouthpiece for Christian fundamentalism.
And most critically, Sid Bass was seen as particularly vulnerable. Peltz knew that Bass had been in talks with ABC in the past and that many on the Bass Brothers board, many of them Texas oil men politically allied to the GOP, could be vulnerable to influence that could put pressure on Bass. Furthermore, Bass had alienated many of them with his investments in renewable energy, which were not giving the company the promised returns. Plus, Sid alone didn’t own the stock. It was shared with his brother and father.
The sad think is that he's right, we really need to get the Basses on board again. Maybe something that destroys the reputation of the oil industry further?

I'm sorry, but I think we need a good ol fashioned oil spill to save Disney.
The two sides had fought with each other since the days of Walt and Roy. And the recent LA Rams deal had proven to be another flash point, with Roy openly opposing the deal and even causing a stir on Wall Street by voting against it. As the years had continued, Disney had invested over $300 million building a new stadium in Anaheim for the Rams, but were only making a few million per annum in merchandise sales while the Stadium work continued and the Rams played at the LA Colosseum. And as the Rams incrementally improved thanks to new draft picks like Jerome Bettis and Dwayne Johnson, their valuation improved, which was making Retlaw’s investment in them very profitable from a portfolio value standpoint (though it seemed unlikely to Peltz that Miller would ever sell his stake). This fact allowed Gold to rail at why the Disney Company was spending hundreds of millions of dollars to improve the Walt Family’s personal fortunes!
Of course this comes back to bite us again! It's like Groundhog Day or Memorial Day in TTL. They buried the hatchet a bit because of Lillian, but we can't hope for another early Christmas miracle.

It's ironic, we need to reestablish good family values in the Disney family to save Disney from the "good family values".
On the plus side this latter strategy reduced up-front borrowing costs and could turn a quick profit if stocks went up. On the minus side, this meant that any drop in stock price would inevitably lead to a margin call from the partnering brokerages that could spell fiscal disaster.
High rolling from Peltz, he either gets Disney or loses it all. An economic recession would be his end.
They would soon get their benefactor, and from the unlikeliest of places.
I'm both intrigued and worried about who that could be. I don't think it's Trump, so I'm curious who that is.

Great chapter @Geekhis Khan

The main ray of sunshine I see in this frankly terrifying alliance is that they don't exactly want the same things, which could be an issue. Like, Peltz might have poorly-defined plans to cut the animation budget, but he's not really going to replace the line with a series of feature-length Bible Stories For Children, as long as it's more profitable to not do that.

But bringing in Falwell and Robertson was something else. Peltz held some reservations about Falwell right from the start. He had a habit of picking stupid fights in the media, such as his recent attacks about the supposed sexuality of a toddler show character.

Well. of course that nonsense still happened. Even if Teletubbies gets butterflied, his fevered imagination would have found something. The Guys and Dolls skit in Sesame Street maybe.

Good lord. The sheer pettiness of Peltz’s campaign (and Falwell’s self-righteous posturing) would give Tex Richman a run for his money. It would be hilarious if it wasn’t so depressing.

Great posts, by the way, but I’m definitely awaiting the next one with…trepidation.

The main ray of sunshine I see in this frankly terrifying alliance is that they don't exactly want the same things, which could be an issue. Like, Peltz might have poorly-defined plans to cut the animation budget, but he's not really going to replace the line with a series of feature-length Bible Stories For Children, as long as it's more profitable to not do that.
Not to mention the ego-clashing and the potential shady connections of all this being such a red flag that alot of other groups will be looking at this with concern and suspicion.

On the bright side, outright trying to hostile takeover the House of Mouse may be enough for the 500 Club to be reclassified as a business or political group instead of a religious one and lose its tax-exempt status.

"As Episode I, originally called, simply, “The Beginning”, took shape, so did the rough gist of the new trilogy and by extension the larger six-film cycle." - good there IS a plan!

"However, during long discussions of medieval chiastic or ring structure with Lisa Henson," - I bet that would be fascinating to listen too. Whole series on writing idea there.

"powerless to affect any change, and thus robbed of hope and instilled with fear." - good observation.

"Anniken holds a pill of bitterness for his missing father, whom he believes abandoned his mother and he to a life of slavery" - not going to cause any trouble later, no...

"Natalie Portman, who was approached for Padmé, but was already committed to other pictures." - wonder where she will pop up?

"with the Queen’s “girl crush” on Obi-Wan desexualized and made a more innocent thing" - to the good of all even with the young internet ITTL.

"Carrie [Fisher] even took her under her wing and gave her advice in life and acting. It felt like a passing of the torch.” - this sort of thing is so heartwarming.

“I must admit that part of my reticence was in trying to walk in Sir Alec’s footsteps,” - Big boot to fill indeed.

"This made Episodes I-III into Obi-Wan’s Hero’s Journey, Episodes IV-VI into Luke’s Journey, and the whole six-film saga into Anniken’s Journey from Hero to Villain and back to Hero." - Good planning.

"treating the film as a blank slate where audiences weren’t expected to know the events of the later Trilogy was imperative." - I agree.

"The inevitable problem with prequels, he maintained, was in building dramatic tension when the outcomes (the fall of Anniken, the Jedi, and the Republic) were known." - and so many productions fail at this. Part of the big problem I have with Prequels.

"eventually taking a cue from LeGuin’s Earthsea series and becoming a land of castles on paradisical islands in the midst of the raging oceans," - good choice.

"tongue-in-cheek references to Star Trek actors William Shatner and Leonard Nimoy, with their working titles even being the “Shatnarians” and the “Nimoidians” - wonder what Shatner and Nimoy thought of that?

"medieval theming and imagery began to become increasingly a part of the Nimoida" - should make cosplay easier.

"using early to mid-20th century modern designs, in particular Art Deco architecture and Streamline Moderne and Futurist design," - oh nice.

"They lived in a literal Ivory Tower in the midst of a lonely square of green amidst the gray urban sprawl." - I wonder if we will see this despoiled by the Sith Lord later?

"while Thorpe, played by Ian McKellen when Christopher Lee proved busy, was the refined, friendly, sophisticated Old Wealth aristocrat who none-the-less seemed primed to embrace the “new age”. _ am reminded of Saurman embracing technology in Middle Earth compared to the static realms around him.

"The duality with Palpatine is enforced by playing this directly via cross-wipe against Palpatine’s appearance as a hologram to Queen Amidala." - lovely technique.

"McDiarmid gave the “Palpatine” side of the character a friendly, fatherly persona." - such a nice, helpful, quiet chap that Palpatine.

"he could also just stand and glare, head tilting unnervingly from side to side as he slightly swayed." -bet that was unnerving on set.

"In this timeline Boba Fett will be made an actual Mandalorian from the start." - meh. As long as he stays dead...

"The obviously merchandisable potential of their addition cannot be discounted either." -Ka Ching!

"having two white actors providing voices for a species that many assumed to represent people of color" - presumption at work again.

"Thus, a more openly disreputable Roona partner, a “galactic used car salesman” to quote Lucas, was added." - got get the 'scum and villainy' in heh?

"I just flat out asked George if I was supposed to be a minstrel show stereotype,” said Carson." - good for you mate. Thank you from ITTL me.

"Linguist Marc Okrand, inventor of the Klingon language, was brought in to revamp the Roona pidgin language," - HOORAY!

"Ba Ba’s walk, like his inadvertently problematic baby talk, would be abandoned and replaced by a more Stan Laurel/Lou Costello shuffle." - so much much better, even if Jar Jar was not supposed to be racist, it is so painful to watch him at times.

"A Darkness Rising became the title almost by default as the least-disliked title" - it is pretty good considering.

"the film made an at the time astounding $1.05 billion global box office against a $104 million budget" - that be a lot of wonger!

"While some fans, later known as “gushers”, were ecstatic with the results, others known as “bashers” found ample reason to dislike a film" -ah fans....

"help shield Lucas from a lot of the hate that he caught in our timeline, which will shift on to Lisa, who will take it in stride." - Lisa ITTL is a treasure!

"disappointment and fear among the Gen-X fans that a franchise they held a strong attachment to would be “ruined” in turn led to anger, which led to hate, which emboldened and empowered the “Dark Side” of the fandom," - I saw what you did there.

"Naturally, work immediately began on the now-inevitable Episode II, with Spielberg handing off the directorial duties to his friend and protégé Robert Zemeckis." - well thats should be an interesting Episode II then.

Great look at Episode 1 there @Geekhis Khan - I suspect ITTL me would like it a lot more than I like OTL Ep1.

They're channels run by the same person from what I can tell that do videos on movies while counting down stuff he likes (CinemaWins) and he doesn't like (CinemaSins).
The channels aren't run by the same person. CinemaSins is primarily run by the guy in charge of the brand, CinemaWins is run by someone who brought in later.

"Five Boroughs, a multiple Oscar winning social drama set in the cultural mixing bowl of New York in the 1990s." - hummm not sure ITTL me would go for this one.

"earned Spike Lee his first Oscar after multiple snubs and won Fuller his second Oscar," - oh cool.

"We learn that they lost their only son to a mugging gone wrong when he was a teen." - liking the complex relationships and unravelling of assumptions so far.

"He launches an investigation which teeters between a meaningful attempt to improve the force and a self-serving action to advance his career," - typical politician then!

"Alas, being good and/or innocent will not protect you, and simply ignoring the problems will not make them go away." - good messaging in this film.

"It ran smack into Star Wars and made a mere $34 million against its $18 million budget." - needed to be moved to 1998 rather than go up against the Behemoth.

"It won Oscars for" - I bet Lee's acceptance speech was something else.

"The film remains a cultural touchstone, one of those films that to this day garners heated discussion." - I bet.

From this write up I suspect ITTL me would, like me OTL with American History X would watch it on disk and regret not seeing it at the cinema.

Fantastic write up there @Geekhis Khan.

I’m personally thinking that Falwell is the weak link in this unholy “Holy Alliance”. He has no filter, and eventually he’ll say something so reprehensible that Peltz will drop him like a live grenade out of disgust.

"On Monday, August 18th, 1997, Disney executive Jim Henson received an unusual piece of mail" - not your usual fan mail indeed.

"the head of Mr. Henson's security detail, {REDACTED}[2] read it." - even the FBI don't know his name?

"Kovalenko suspects that they were removed from American military depots with great care." - well that is worrying.

"I am a father, you may not think of me as a good father but I dearly love my kids and despite my occupation, " - so not totally the worst man in the world as long as his kids are sheltered from his occupation?

"I have purchased things that must never come to the arms market, to the black market bizarre, all so the horrors of unimaginable weapons are not unleashed by fools. " - thank you Yuri.

"Well, my children saw that young girl die. I thought I could keep such horrors away from my children. " - I hope the kids where ok.

"Well, I know who they went to. Condor, that bastard! I will kill him for making me fear for my children’s safety." - well that won't end well.

"the Russians deny any of such sales occurring and insist all Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical (NBC) items are fully accounted for" - I have a bridge in London for sale if you believe that one...

"Mr. Henson himself still believes this is just a prank." - lets hope Sonny can deal with this and allow Jim to be safe from worry about his safety.

Interesting chapter there @ajm8888 and @Geekhis Khan

I’m personally thinking that Falwell is the weak link in this unholy “Holy Alliance”. He has no filter, and eventually he’ll say something so reprehensible that Peltz will drop him like a live grenade out of disgust.
Oh, absolutely. It will probably happen sooner rather than later once Disney shows that it has a backbone against their attempted takeover.

Good grief, the vipers are coming in, but Falwell getting into these heavy investments I suspect is gonna get Uncle Sam involved and put the kibbosh on this because it just spells like trouble and I suspect one of thse goons will do something illegal.
As a non-profit, Liberty U is fully entitled to invest its funds as it sees fit to further its mission. And how better to bring Christ to the masses than a major studio and network?

I should make the point, @Geekhis Khan, the animation angle is entirely dependent on the box office fate of Poet and the Dragon and Heart of Ice. If those are hits, then the argument that "they can't keep up in a competitive environment" is kind of kerplutsky.
So you suggest having the fate of a film interwoven into the larger narrative...like I've done several times over the course of this TL then? Great Idea, wish that had occured to me, Natty. :winkytongue:

The same. When Heinous Fuckery is Afoot, Roger will be in there somewhere.

Satire magazines are going to go bankrupt. Imagine trying to have to come up with something more absurd than "God speaks to me and says we need to invade Disneyland!".
The extreme and their followers are completely blind to irony, I have noticed. And I should mention that I really don't feel like I'm exaggerating or making strawman portrayals here. Hard to exaggerate the guy who lunched a Crusade against Tinky Winky. I really just "let Falwell be Falwell" in my posts.

wonder what Shatner and Nimoy thought of that?
Bemusement on Nimoy's part. Bill is slightly confused about the whole thing.

Big In-TL Announcement tomorrow, folks! I'm sure all will react in shock and surprise.

As a non-profit, Liberty U is fully entitled to invest its funds as it sees fit to further its mission. And how better to bring Christ to the masses than a major studio and network?
A non-profit vesting in a for-profit company seems like that would be ripe for a lawsuit against that though and I suspect the Gore administration wouldn’t be so keen for letting someone like Falwell there.
The same. When Heinous Fuckery is Afoot, Roger will be in there somewhere.
He is like a real life Judge Doom; a literal cartoon villain.

Status
Not open for further replies.