Status
Not open for further replies.
A non-profit vesting in a for-profit company seems like that would be ripe for a lawsuit against that though and I suspect the Gore administration wouldn’t be so keen for letting someone like Falwell there.

He is like a real life Judge Doom; a literal cartoon villain.
Well thanks to Hollywood Accounting no movies actually make any profits so he should be fine on that front 😋

A non-profit vesting in a for-profit company seems like that would be ripe for a lawsuit against that though and I suspect the Gore administration wouldn’t be so keen for letting someone like Falwell there.
As long as any money earned from this investment in "The Good Shepherd Group LLC" gets reinvested into the organization and its fundamental goals (rather than given to shareholders as dividends), it's technically not a "profit" and thus not a violation of their non-profit status. Nothing much Gore could do. Also not a good precedent to have the US President directly intervening in private "religious matters." Since there's no overt financial conflict of interest here or monopolistic potential, also nothing much for the FTC to try and block.

And yes, there's a lot of really shady grey area here, particularly when said same religious organizations give directly to political action committees and directly influence political decisions or support and promote political candidates, which they regularly have iOTL (Pat Robertson directly compared the 45th President to Jesus on numerous occasions and overtly alluded to a Christian's duty to support him; Falwell jr. openly endorsed him for President). Also a lot that can be done through shell companies. Liberty et al. aren't buying Disney stock, after all, they're investing in "The Good Shepherd Group LLC", which among other areas promises to "promote American [Christian] Values in the arts and entertainment", which is completely within their rights as a religious non-profit organization, at least as I understand it (there's undoubtedly a lot of legalistic nuance I'm missing; I make no claims to be an expert in finance).

And yea, just because it's technically legal doesn't mean that it's right. Heinous Fuckery is the norm in High Finance.

Welcome to the Sausage Factory Floor.

As long as any money earned from this investment in "The Good Shepherd Group LLC" gets reinvested into the organization and its fundamental goals (rather than given to shareholders as dividends), it's technically not a "profit" and thus not a violation of their non-profit status. Nothing much Gore could do. Also not a good precedent to have the US President directly intervening in private "religious matters." Since there's no overt financial conflict of interest here or monopolistic potential, also nothing much for the FTC to try and block.

And yes, there's a lot of really shady grey area here, particularly when said same religious organizations give directly to political action committees and directly influence political decisions or support and promote political candidates, which they regularly have iOTL (Pat Robertson directly compared the 45th President to Jesus on numerous occasions and overtly alluded to a Christian's duty to support him; Falwell jr. openly endorsed him for President). Also a lot that can be done through shell companies. Liberty et al. aren't buying Disney stock, after all, they're investing in "The Good Shepherd Group LLC", which among other areas promises to "promote American [Christian] Values in the arts and entertainment", which is completely within their rights as a religious non-profit organization, at least as I understand it (there's undoubtedly a lot of legalistic nuance I'm missing; I make no claims to be an expert in finance).

And yea, just because it's technically legal doesn't mean that it's right. Heinous Fuckery is the norm in High Finance.

Welcome to the Sausage Factory Floor.
Well, regarding politics, it’s actually illegal: https://www.texastribune.org/2022/10/30/johnson-amendment-elections-irs/amp/

We probably should get someone who knows legal stuff because we are missing something I suspect.

Well, regarding politics, it’s actually illegal: https://www.texastribune.org/2022/10/30/johnson-amendment-elections-irs/amp/

We probably should get someone who knows legal stuff because we are missing something I suspect.
Illegal but unenforced in that case, but that's not what Falwell et al. are doing here. They're investing in publicly traded stocks, which is totally legal for a non-profit as long as shareholders and employees don't directly materially benefit from the investment (if they get caught funneling any gains into their own pockets that's another story).

So unless someone can give me a specific, definitive reason why televangelists buying corporate stock is illegal, particularly since as stated non-profits can legally invest in stocks to support their work, then I'm plowing ahead with my TL.

Just because it "feels wrong" (or even just because it is wrong) doesn't mean that it's illegal. It was only this year that sitting US politicians were forbidden from Insider Trading, after all.

Illegal but unenforced in that case, but that's not what Falwell et al. are doing here. They're investing in publicly traded stocks, which is totally legal for a non-profit as long as shareholders and employees don't directly materially benefit from the investment (if they get caught funneling any gains into their own pockets that's another story).

So unless someone can give me a specific, definitive reason why televangelists buying corporate stock is illegal, particularly since as stated non-profits can legally invest in stocks to support their work, then I'm plowing ahead with my TL.

Just because it "feels wrong" (or even just because it is wrong) doesn't mean that it's illegal. It was only this year that sitting US politicians were forbidden from Insider Trading, after all.
Yeah, that is all true though keep in mind that you were the one who had Gore win ITTL and this his policies are gonna be different and have their own butterfly effects regarding legislation and the zeitgeist ;)

Wonderful work as always and you do good to keep us over on the edge of our seats and on our toes.

Yeah, that is all true though keep in mind that you were the one who had Gore win ITTL and this his policies are gonna be different and have their own butterfly effects regarding legislation and the zeitgeist ;)

Wonderful work as always and you do good to keep us over on the edge of our seats and on our toes.
Nothing Gore has passed iTTL should affect any of this, or I would have mentioned it (there is some talk about an earlier McCain-Feingold style deal going on right now). Turns out I do research and think about these things, who knew? Now, let's both quit Spamming the main TL! :winkytongue: (I'm guilty of violating my own rules here).

Thanks for the kind words and patronage, CDVB.

Nothing Gore has passed iTTL should affect any of this, or I would have mentioned it (there is some talk about an earlier McCain-Feingold style deal going on right now). Turns out I do research and think about these things, who knew? Now, let's both quit Spamming the main TL! :winkytongue: (I'm guilty of violating my own rules here).

Thanks for the kind words and patronage, CDVB.
You are quite talented at researching and have done an exemplary job. Sometimes it’s good to have reminders because things can and will catch us offguard, especially as the little things slip away from memory and everything is frustratingly connected . XD

Apologies then, and thank you for the kind words. You remain an inspiration to me and plenty of others. :)

Man in Glass Closet Throws Stones
Transcript of Freddie Mercury Press Conference, June 4th, 1998

Freddie Mercury enters and stands at a podium. Cameras flash and click.

FM: Hello, honored journalists and tabloid jackals, I am here to address the ongoing rumors in The Sun, The National Enquirer, and other such bastions of quality journalism about my personal life, in particular rumors of an ongoing “Richard Burton and Liz Taylor” type affair with my friend Elton John[1]. I have spoken at length with Elton, who is a very shy and private person at heart, and he gave his blessings for me to speak here today and to say, on behalf of us both, “fuck off, this is none of your bloody business.”

Murmurs in the crowd, some scattered laughter.

FM: And when we say “fuck off” you can take that absolutely literally if you so choose. Elton and I have shared a lot of the same struggles and lived similar lives. We love one another as longtime friends who have been through so many of the same trials, both being famous people thrown into the spotlight and celebrated and assaulted for who we are. He asks me only to ask you to leave him alone. I, however, stand ready to speak to you now, as I have always been happiest in the spotlight, but please leave my good friend Elton alone, you shameless, godless sods.

Gasps and scattered, often uncomfortable laughter.

FM: Now, despite what a certain newly-minted Baroness of Collingtree may have said, I have never “flaunted” my homosexuality. In fact, I have never spoken publicly on it at all before this moment, because it’s none of anyone’s bloody business, to be frank. I have been aware of my romantic and carnal urges, both homosexual and heterosexual, since I was a teen. I have never tried to hide who I am, even if I have not until this moment formally spoken about it in a public setting. But I will say now, without shame or embarrassment or regret, for I have nothing to be shameful, embarrassed, or regretful about, that I am indeed a queer man and always have been. In fact, I was born queer, unlike Dame Collingtree, who has chosen to live life as an arsehole. And while she may think that her latest hateful attacks carry weight because she is a newly-anointed Peer, as a lifelong Queen I frankly outrank the bitch and she can mind her bloody place.

More shocked gasps and laughter.

FM: Now, I open the floor for whatever questions you may have, honored journalists and tabloid jackals alike.

Reporter: Spotswoode with The Times. Was it hard for you to, as they say, make the choice to officially “come out of the closet” as it were?

FM: Well, the closet door was made from transparent glass to begin with, and I doubt that I have shocked or surprised anyone today. Honestly, it’s likely a big day for many gay people who still live in hiding, but for me it’s Thursday.

Reporter: Do you feel any regret at all for living a homosexual lifestyle?

FM: Absolutely not. My love is true love. There is nothing to be regretful or ashamed of. And as the Knights of the Garter hath long said, “Honi soit qui mal y pense.” For the sake of reporter from The Sun, that means “Shame on anyone who thinks evil of it.”

Reporter: Is there any truth to the rumors of an affair with…

FM: (interrupts) None of your bloody business. And feel free to quote me on that.

Reporter: You mentioned your “love” of Elton, do you mean that lit…

FM: (interrupts) None of your bloody business.

Reporter: What do you say in response to claims by Michael…

FM: (interrupts) Let me stop you there. What, pray tell, do you think my answer will be to your question?

Reporter: Um, “none of my bloody business”, I assume?

FM: (smiles) You nailed it on the first try, congrats, sir!

Laughter.

Reporter: The Times again. Is there any truth to the rumors that you have been approached by the Labour Party to run for public office?

FM: Why in God’s name would I want to? As stated, I am a Queen. Becoming an MP would be a bit of a demotion, don’t you think?[2]

More laughter.

Reporter: Samantha Smith, Disney News. Can I ask you about your working relationship with the late, great Howard Ashman?

For a brief moment Mercury is left actually speechless.

FM: Oh my God. (pause) Howard was a genius. A great friend. One of far too many that we lost far too early. An innocent man and a victim, and sod anyone who says he was anything else. I had a very brief moment to work with Howard near the end. I’ve remained a close friend with his partner Bill, who is a wonderful soul. Their love was truer than that of a hundred heterosexual couples that I can name. (blows kiss to the heavens) Rest in peace, Howard, we love you and we miss you. In fact, let’s leave things there. Thank you, Ms. Smith. That is all.

Cameras click and flash. Reporters shout questions over each other as a smiling Freddie Mercury winks at them, and walks away.

[1] Thank Ms. Khan again!

[2] Sorry, @nick_crenshaw82, no PM Mercury in this timeline!

There are "fuck you's" and there is this "fuck you".

Glorious.

(I'll be honest here, you gave me quite a fright, @Geekhis Khan - I was worrying about some horrible development in the whole Disney drama).

Last edited:
This was certainly a fun chapter, you nailed Freddie's dialogue by the way. While the idea is certainly interesting, I'm also glad there aren't plans for a Prime Minister Freddie Mercury just because I don't really see him entering politics. Honestly, of the guys in Queen, the only one I can picture giving politics the old college try is Brian May.

On a separate note, as someone whose best friend is bisexual, I'm glad you properly acknowledged that Freddie Mercury was bisexual. Even today there are way too many people who think that being bi is "just a phase" and oftentimes the bisexuality of various public figures is erased in favor of simply labeling them based on whether they're in a heterosexual or homosexual relationship.

Freddie Mercury is, of course, an example of this, as he has mostly been labeled as gay despite the fact that one of the two long term relationships he was in was with a woman, and then you have guys like Billy Joe Armstrong, who a large chunk of people don't even realize is part of the LGBTQ community simply because he's been married to a woman.

The worst part is bisexuals who have a good/bad experience with a gay/straight encounter and decide to try the other side - not because it's a bad thing, because then normies see that and wrongly conclude that homosexuality is a "choice."

Surprised there weren’t more prying questions from reporters, to be honest. Maybe I’m just cynical, but I was expecting the paparazzi to be swarming him like ants to a picnic.

Transcript of Freddie Mercury Press Conference, June 4th, 1998

Freddie Mercury enters and stands at a podium. Cameras flash and click.

FM: Hello, honored journalists and tabloid jackals, I am here to address the ongoing rumors in The Sun, The National Enquirer, and other such bastions of quality journalism about my personal life, in particular rumors of an ongoing “Richard Burton and Liz Taylor” type affair with my friend Elton John[1]. I have spoken at length with Elton, who is a very shy and private person at heart, and he gave his blessings for me to speak here today and to say, on behalf of us both, “fuck off, this is none of your bloody business.”

Murmurs in the crowd, some scattered laughter.

FM: And when we say “fuck off” you can take that absolutely literally if you so choose. Elton and I have shared a lot of the same struggles and lived similar lives. We love one another as longtime friends who have been through so many of the same trials, both being famous people thrown into the spotlight and celebrated and assaulted for who we are. He asks me only to ask you to leave him alone. I, however, stand ready to speak to you now, as I have always been happiest in the spotlight, but please leave my good friend Elton alone, you shameless, godless sods.

Gasps and scattered, often uncomfortable laughter.

FM: Now, despite what a certain newly-minted Baroness of Collingtree may have said, I have never “flaunted” my homosexuality. In fact, I have never spoken publicly on it at all before this moment, because it’s none of anyone’s bloody business, to be frank. I have been aware of my romantic and carnal urges, both homosexual and heterosexual, since I was a teen. I have never tried to hide who I am, even if I have not until this moment formally spoken about it in a public setting. But I will say now, without shame or embarrassment or regret, for I have nothing to be shameful, embarrassed, or regretful about, that I am indeed a queer man and always have been. In fact, I was born queer, unlike Dame Collingtree, who has chosen to live life as an arsehole. And while she may think that her latest hateful attacks carry weight because she is a newly-anointed Peer, as a lifelong Queen I frankly outrank the bitch and she can mind her bloody place.

More shocked gasps and laughter.

FM: Now, I open the floor for whatever questions you may have, honored journalists and tabloid jackals alike.

Reporter: Spotswoode with The Times. Was it hard for you to, as they say, make the choice to officially “come out of the closet” as it were?

FM: Well, the closet door was made from transparent glass to begin with, and I doubt that I have shocked or surprised anyone today. Honestly, it’s likely a big day for many gay people who still live in hiding, but for me it’s Thursday.

Reporter: Do you feel any regret at all for living a homosexual lifestyle?

FM: Absolutely not. My love is true love. There is nothing to be regretful or ashamed of. And as the Knights of the Garter hath long said, “Honi soit qui mal y pense.” For the sake of reporter from The Sun, that means “Shame on anyone who thinks evil of it.”

Reporter: Is there any truth to the rumors of an affair with…

FM: (interrupts) None of your bloody business. And feel free to quote me on that.

Reporter: You mentioned your “love” of Elton, do you mean that lit…

FM: (interrupts) None of your bloody business.

Reporter: What do you say in response to claims by Michael…

FM: (interrupts) Let me stop you there. What, pray tell, do you think my answer will be to your question?

Reporter: Um, “none of my bloody business”, I assume?

FM: (smiles) You nailed it on the first try, congrats, sir!

Laughter.

Reporter: The Times again. Is there any truth to the rumors that you have been approached by the Labour Party to run for public office?

FM: Why in God’s name would I want to? As stated, I am a Queen. Becoming an MP would be a bit of a demotion, don’t you think?[2]

More laughter.

Reporter: Samantha Smith, Disney News. Can I ask you about your working relationship with the late, great Howard Ashman?

For a brief moment Mercury is left actually speechless.

FM: Oh my God. (pause) Howard was a genius. A great friend. One of far too many that we lost far too early. An innocent man and a victim, and sod anyone who says he was anything else. I had a very brief moment to work with Howard near the end. I’ve remained a close friend with his partner Bill, who is a wonderful soul. Their love was truer than that of a hundred heterosexual couples that I can name. (blows kiss to the heavens) Rest in peace, Howard, we love you and we miss you. In fact, let’s leave things there. Thank you, Ms. Smith. That is all.

Cameras click and flash. Reporters shout questions over each other as a smiling Freddie Mercury winks at them, and walks away.

[1] Thank Ms. Khan again!

[2] Sorry, @nick_crenshaw82, no PM Mercury in this timeline!
I expect nothiung less from a flaming hot guy like Freddy to roast real good. The "chose to be an asshole" is my favourite

Hello, honored journalists and tabloid jackals, I am here to address the ongoing rumors in The Sun, The National Enquirer, and other such bastions of quality journalism about my personal life, in particular rumors of an ongoing “Richard Burton and Liz Taylor” type affair with my friend Elton John[1]. I have spoken at length with Elton, who is a very shy and private person at heart, and he gave his blessings for me to speak here today and to say, on behalf of us both, “fuck off, this is none of your bloody business.”
Absolute powermove from Mercury here, making a whole press conference that boils down to "Fuck you, leave us alone".
Samantha Smith, Disney News. Can I ask you about your working relationship with the late, great Howard Ashman?
Oh so that's what Samantha has been up to this whole time, not surprised given her background.

That interview's very Freddie, for sure. :p

If social media develops as it did IRL, I can see Freddie making use of it in the best way possible, telling grifters of all stripes to just shut the fuck up already - kind of like what George Takei does, except with way more four-letter words. :p While being the internet's favourite omnisexual grandpa, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.