Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Courtesy of u/Astreom_1, a world where NATO did not expand to include the Baltic States, leading to destabilising frozen conflicts similar to those afflicting other post-Soviet states. The region remains torn between the Western and Russian spheres; Latvia's 2014 attempt to move decisively towards Europe led to the Russian-backed Latgale People's Republic being carved out of the country's east, and eventually to Russia's "Special Operation" in Latvia eight years later.

88c9mdngtrt81.png

Russia invaded Latvia on February 24, 2022, marking a major escalation in the Russian-Latvian War, which began in 2014 following the election of a pro-Western government in Riga. In the first days of the operation, the Russian Army aimed to take Daugvaplis (capital of Latgale, lost by the separatists in 2015) and Riga, the capital of the country.

The Latvian Army fails to contain the Russian invasion in the east of the country, resulting in the fall of Jekabpils and the siege of Daugvaplis; they are pushed back to the outskirts of Riga. However, the massive arrival of foreign volunteers and equipment (notably from the other two Baltic nations), combined with the weak logistical capacity of the Russians, led to a counteroffensive in March; which regained control of several key areas and managed to threaten the Russian Army's main body east of Riga.

As the second month of the war begins, both sides are exhausted as the fighting redoubles in intensity in Jekabpils and Daugvapils...who knows which side the scales will tip toward?

Last edited:
1650896449379.png

*start recording* Finally managed to get this after 3 months. First, find the other 2 logs though, I believe I left the last one outside of the old Lincoln Memorial on the south side of the building. Ok, so currently it is 2061. The new alliance named itself the "Opposition of Russian Aggression", ot the OORA (pronounced oo rah, like what the Americans in the military used to say. The Texan Civil War rages on, with both sides achieving victory and suffering losses. The front in Greenland moves to the East, and CSTO has gotten involved, causing the Inuit Federation to join OORA. Canada, seizing the opportunity, joins CSTO and the war, invading the Inuit Federation. New Hindustan looks with aggression towards the Republic of Indochina when it comes to the region of Burma, Uzbekistan does not submit to Kazakhstan's attempts to annex the lands they claim, but Kazakhstan does nothing to force this. Without Ethiopian Support, Sudan and Chad start losing ground, so they make peace with OORA.
Treaty of Cairo
Egypt and Libya will annex all land from the southwestern point they control in a straight horizontal line, with Libya annexing the Chadian parts, and Egypt annexing the Sudanese parts.
Egypt, Libya, Chad and Sudan will be neutral in the CSTO-OORA conflict.
Libya and Egypt's occupied lands outside of Chad and Sudan will be transferred to the control of Tunisia.
Signatures: Egypt, Libya, Chad, Sudan, Tunisia, Greece, Palestine

You got all that, right? Anyway, with that, the Algerian front falls, but so does the Malian front. Morocco retakes Liberia and Sierra Leonne, and even a lot more of Mali. Morocco also moves some more forces to Iberia, and takes all of Liberia, the Pyrenees Mountains, and even start an invasion of Southern France. Russia takes control of all of Romania, and Europa takes Croatia and Bosnia. The Yugoslavian Occupation zones are transferred to Turkish control. Tunisia also takes the Spanish Islands in the Mediterranean, and also Corsica and starts an invasion of Calabria. Tunisia also manages to take most of the Decentralized Administration of Peloponnese, Western Greece and the Ionian in Greece. Turkey also invades more into Arabia, and transfers their territorial gain to the UAR, and the UAR reforms the territory into the Republic of Iraq, however the Republic of Kuwait still has to be liberated. Oh, and it appears this thing has really little space. Ah well, I am done tal-*end recording*

UPDATE: Changed Indochina to Yellowish instead of the purple it was before to distinguish it from New Hindustan. For easier transportation between my timeline, go to the timeline in my signature.

Courtesy of u/Astreom_1, a world where NATO did not expand to include the Baltic States, leading to destabilising frozen conflicts similar to those afflicting other post-Soviet countries. The region remains torn between the Western and Russian spheres; Latvia's attempt to move decisively towards Europe eventually led to Russia's "Special Operation" in Latvia.

88c9mdngtrt81.png

Russia invaded Latvia on February 24, 2022, marking a major escalation in the Russian-Latvian War, which began in 2014 following the election of a pro-Western government in Riga. In the first days of the operation, the Russian Army aimed to take Daugvaplis (capital of Latgale, lost by the separatists in 2015) and Riga, the capital of the country.

The Latvian Army fails to contain the Russian invasion in the east of the country, resulting in the fall of Jekabpils and the siege of Daugvaplis; they are pushed back to the outskirts of Riga. However, the massive arrival of foreign volunteers and equipment (notably from the other two Baltic nations), combined with the weak logistical capacity of the Russians, led to a counteroffensive in March; which regained control of several key areas and managed to threaten the Russian Army's main body east of Riga.

As the second month of the war begins, both sides are exhausted as the fighting redoubles in intensity in Jekabpils and Daugvapils...who knows which side the scales will tip toward?

Pretty sure that was posted before

I mean I can directly attach a 400kb png (limit for direct attachment is somewhere in low 400s I think)

Especially with WorldA it should be no issue.

post-post-apocolypse wip.png

This is a map I posted several threads ago, 180kb. 1204x1104

Otto-French Superpowers wip.png

A map I am no longer working on (changed to a different base map), this is 323kb.

Last edited:
Courtesy of u/Astreom_1, a world where NATO did not expand to include the Baltic States, leading to destabilising frozen conflicts similar to those afflicting other post-Soviet states. The region remains torn between the Western and Russian spheres; Latvia's 2014 attempt to move decisively towards Europe led to the Russian-backed Latgale People's Republic being carved out of the country's east, and eventually to Russia's "Special Operation" in Latvia eight years later.

88c9mdngtrt81.png

I like the map style - I assume it's intentionally based off of the Wikipedia version of the Russian invasion of Ukraine?

Although, given their respective sizes (Ukraine is more than twenty times larger than Latvia), the Russians probably actually have a chance with this one, even with the foreign volunteers and Baltic solidarity aid or whatever.
I could have been remembering it on Reddit I guess.

I mean maybe I am right but I am not in the mood to check 100+ pages.
Well, it's just a repost from Reddit, so doesn't matter either way as to who's the first reposter :biggrin:

If you use PaintZ with Worlda, always, ALWAYS save your maps as png. You can rename it to JPG and make it a jpeg, just dont save it as one. Photo Evidence: View attachment 736530Saved as PNG, renamed to JPEG

View attachment 736531
Saved as JPEG

IF you use https://paintz.app/, save as PNG so you can more easily edit the map if necessary.
The top map is still a PNG.

Still a good demonstration of why it's better to use PNG files rather than JPEGs for Worlda maps.

because png files are too large for this site.
The size limit is 512 kb, nothing to do with the extension. PNG files are usually larger, yes, but images with large swaths of solid colors and a limited color palette can certainly be compact. This image, for example (not my own work) is a PNG with well over 1 megapixel but it takes up less than 100 kb.

Attachments

• 1_39ZbGIsdB8L6hNx0YODvkQ.png
    1_39ZbGIsdB8L6hNx0YODvkQ.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 228
I updated my medieval America world, namely in South America. Credit to @Foony-mick for the map of South America I used as a base for it
TheKnownAmericas.png

And for reference, the whole map of the Western Hemisphere in this world
TheKnownAmericas_full.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.