Map Thread XXI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dagoth Ur

Banned
It took 18 hours to kind of learn QGIS, and only 2 hours to make this map! It's pretty shitty but not so bad for only having discovered the tool yesterday.
Bosna.png

No legend, etc., etc. but there are bigger problems here. Why does the ć character result in ? when rendered on the map, when QGIS can handle the character fine in attributes text fields prior to rendering? Why do the battles listed have "0" next to them as the date, when by the formula below I should clearly be pulling a good year from the attribute (see at the bottom for example, "1379" for "Battle for Ragusa", yet "0" next to it on the map)? How can I conditionally format the map so every symbology, no matter the layer, outside the green polygon gets opacity 0% (invisible).
1650777646764.png

What will become the Kerguelen islands ?

Whoops i forgot about those.

Given their isolated location and tiny population i figure the people there would either simply starve or maybe some would be able to make their way to argentina or new zealand or something.

Either way, nothing of note.

status of my Historica map game
That does much to clarify things, thank you.

What it says: a world where Axum overran Arabia, then piggybacked on the Arab expansion and forced the Byzantines into a personal union while dominating Indian Ocean trade. Of course, this is an insane degree of imperial overstretch, and will probably not be long lasting. This is not intended to be a realistic map, but it was a bit fun to make and I think I've figured out how to represent naval control zones should I ever decide to do that. I may come back later and do a more realistic version where the Ethiopian-Arabian empire is forced to contend with a far stronger foe than the Romanoi or the Sassanids or the Sri Lankans -- Logistics.
1650781713968.png

What it says: a world where Axum overran Arabia, then piggybacked on the Arab expansion and forced the Byzantines into a personal union while dominating Indian Ocean trade. Of course, this is an insane degree of imperial overstretch, and will probably not be long lasting. This is not intended to be a realistic map, but it was a bit fun to make and I think I've figured out how to represent naval control zones should I ever decide to do that. I may come back later and do a more realistic version where the Ethiopian-Arabian empire is forced to contend with a far stronger foe than the Romanoi or the Sassanids or the Sri Lankans -- Logistics. View attachment 736298
Yeah, I don't think an Aksumite empire could reasonably control Anatolia, Persia or the Caucasus, and would be more focused on the Indian Ocean and Red Sea than the Mediterranean.

Yeah, I don't think an Aksumite empire could reasonably control Anatolia, Persia or the Caucasus, and would be more focused on the Indian Ocean and Red Sea than the Mediterranean.
I mean even in this map, the intention is that this is a very temporary state of affairs before the empire collapses back into its constituent parts, with Axum having the run of some naval areas.

Next up on "horrific abominations that you can't look away from", courtesy of u/Astreom_1 from Reddit: Britalia Rules the Waves.

upgp0tnlnav81.png

The Britalian Isles, the most populated archipelago in the Northern Hemisphere at 130 million inhabitants, is a melting pot of culture and tradition. It's up to you to discover Britalia and its people!

Britalian gastronomy is known all over the world: Tuscan beer, jelly pizza, Tiramisu pudding, and the famous fish 'n' pasta. Enjoy these famous dishes in the heart of the country's magnificent landscapes: the ski resorts of Yorkshire, the view of Mount Vesuvius from Norfolk, the cities of the Po Valley - Milan, Aberdeen, Venice and many others.

After this, you will never be able to see the world the same way again!
What if a Swedish British guy was Italian

Next up on "horrific abominations that you can't look away from", courtesy of u/Astreom_1 from Reddit: Britalia Rules the Waves.

upgp0tnlnav81.png

The Britalian Isles, the most populated archipelago in the Northern Hemisphere at 130 million inhabitants, is a melting pot of culture and tradition. It's up to you to discover Britalia and its people!

Britalian gastronomy is known all over the world: Tuscan beer, jelly pizza, Tiramisu pudding, and the famous fish 'n' pasta. Enjoy these famous dishes in the heart of the country's magnificent landscapes: the ski resorts of Yorkshire, the view of Mount Vesuvius from Norfolk, the cities of the Po Valley - Milan, Aberdeen, Venice and many others.

After this, you will never be able to see the world the same way again!
So where's the Fratunisie (France+Tunisia) Coastline of Eurafrique? Just off screen??

What it says: a world where Axum overran Arabia, then piggybacked on the Arab expansion and forced the Byzantines into a personal union while dominating Indian Ocean trade. Of course, this is an insane degree of imperial overstretch, and will probably not be long lasting. This is not intended to be a realistic map, but it was a bit fun to make and I think I've figured out how to represent naval control zones should I ever decide to do that. I may come back later and do a more realistic version where the Ethiopian-Arabian empire is forced to contend with a far stronger foe than the Romanoi or the Sassanids or the Sri Lankans -- Logistics. View attachment 736298
An Axumwank? Amazing.

Dagoth Ur

Banned
It took 18 hours to kind of learn QGIS, and only 2 hours to make this map! It's pretty shitty but not so bad for only having discovered the tool yesterday.
Bosna.png

No legend, etc., etc. but there are bigger problems here. Why does the ć character result in ? when rendered on the map, when QGIS can handle the character fine in attributes text fields prior to rendering? Why do the battles listed have "0" next to them as the date, when by the formula below I should clearly be pulling a good year from the attribute (see at the bottom for example, "1379" for "Battle for Ragusa", yet "0" next to it on the map)? How can I conditionally format the map so every symbology, no matter the layer, outside the green polygon gets opacity 0% (invisible).
View attachment 736293
You can draw your own data easily - the key word to look for tutorials is 'georeferencing.'

Very glad it was helpful!

The ? problem has to do with the encoding of your file. Try some of the answers from here. As for your labelling, I'm not sure without having a look at your attribute table but my guess would be that the data is coded as a string rather than a number or date, so using year() breaks it. Do you have two overlaying layers with the same data? What does your full label settings look like?
Crossposting from @NeonHydroxide's QGIS thread in case anyone wanted to know the solutions to my issues:

"Thank you in advance for any help! This is a great resource.

I did try georeferencing with the height map imperator rome uses. I think it kind of worked, but then when I tried to hillshade, the new layer apparently had every point outside of the extent of the layer. Even though in "Information" of layer properties I could clearly see a minimum and maximum value of 0 and 255 respectively, and an average between the two. Assuming I get the georeferencing right (I'm sure I will, I'm probably just doing something wrong right now), how difficult is it to find a raster map that converts well to vector. The two I've tried might have been too general/low resolution, or I did not do it right, and did not convert well. Is there a trick to, say, converting raster coastlines and other features into vectors automatically, without having to manually trace?

So "ć" is no longer a problem. I noticed it was working in the city name itself, but not the battle name. So I just copied from the city name attribute into the battle name attribute and that fixed it. I must have input it incorrectly originally.

In gathering label settings for you, I discovered my problem with the year. See below how it was configured. The formula at the top by Filter, is the correct year( "datum" ). However for some reason, in Value it's still filled in as "datum" = 'year'. When I was fiddling around to create the formula, I think that was one of the permutations I tried. When I got the language correct, it didn't carry through to Value for some reason. I fixed the Value field, and now the year is on the map."
View attachment 736300

Status
Not open for further replies.