Status
Not open for further replies.
With regards to David Letterman, it's a good thing he retired before the #MeToo movement started in OTL--otherwise, he would have been in hot water over his affairs with his subordinates.

In TTL, with the earlier #MeToo movement, he will have some reckoning--maybe he confesses to it on his show (like he did over the blackmail scheme against him in OTL)...

Oh, and Jeffrey Epstein's days are numbered, too...
And Model: The Ugly Business of Beautiful Women by Michael Gross (the writer not the actor) will hit with a loud bang.

The Dark side of the 90s has a good episode on it.

I am linking it here as it deals with sexual assault and a toxic atmosphere.

Secrets Of The Runway

EDIT:

Quick question. How does Liam Neeson win Best Actor at the Oscars for Schindler's List in 1993 when you already said in a previous post Robert Downey Jr wins that same year for Chaplin?

I wonder how often "Remember when you almost died" is going to come up.
Least a few times. Usually as a joke, but given how even a good chunk of the suits know he helped pulled the company out of dire straits after Walt's death, they'll take his health more seriously.

If it's too soon to do proper effects for the Fantastic Four, then wouldn't the X-Men be even more heavy on effects? Also (unless it got butterflied somehow) the animated X-Men series would already be running by that point; it debuted October 31, 1992.

However, a live-action X-Men might work if they were doing it as an origin story, with the first five. That way, the animated series is still valid as "look how far they've come since their founding".

If it's too soon to do proper effects for the Fantastic Four, then wouldn't the X-Men be even more heavy on effects
It's probably not the character effects, but the environmental effects that they can't do yet.

Things like the Negative Zone or the far reaches of Space, remember that the Fantastic Four deal a lot with the more cosmic side of Marvel and a big criticism of the FF films in OTL was that they didn't feature the team as explorers. Apparently who ever is working on the Marvel movies has understood this.

It's probably not the character effects, but the environmental effects that they can't do yet.

Things like the Negative Zone or the far reaches of Space, remember that the Fantastic Four deal a lot with the more cosmic side of Marvel and a big criticism of the FF films in OTL was that they didn't feature the team as explorers. Apparently who ever is working on the Marvel movies has understood this.
I was thinking of that "Generation X" movie of 1996. They deliberately made two new characters to substitute for Chamber and Husk, because depicting their powers in live-action (especially Chamber) was too expensive.

But you're right that depicting mass numbers of starships and aliens would break most live-action budgets.

Last edited:
Phoenix entered into a rehabilitation program with John as his sponsor and Jim paying the bills. Unlike the other young men that they’d tried to help over the years, Phoenix actually stayed off of the drugs and redoubled his wellness lifestyle, even giving up alcohol. He would take the experience and, with the help of screenwriter Lawrence Kasdan, wrote, produced, directed, and starred in Moneymaker, a semiautobiographical account of a young film star driven to drugs by the stresses of Hollywood. Released by MGM in 1997, it would earn him Oscar nominations for acting and Best Picture and win the Oscar for Best Original Screenplay.
So with River living here is a list of future roles for him, assuming he wants to return to 'real' films:
If it's too soon to do proper effects for the Fantastic Four, then wouldn't the X-Men be even more heavy on effects?
Do any of the X-Men stretch or catch on fire?
Also (unless it got butterflied somehow) the animated X-Men series would already be running by that point; it debuted October 31, 1992.
It wasn't butterflied away it merely got an earlier start ITTL, based on X-Men: Pryde of the X-Men.

I would imagine environmental effects would be easier than character effects.

I imagine that the majority of the first film would occur on Earth.
I was thinking of that "Generation X" movie of 1996. They deliberately made two new characters to substitute for Chamber and Husk, because depicting their powers in live-action (especially Chamber) was too expensive.
Generation X was also a TV movie pilot and as such automatically had a lower budget than most theatrical films.
But you're right that depicting mass numbers of starships and aliens would break most live-action budgets.
Because there's no practical way of doing and space based sci-fi isn't a thing.

I have been doing some thinking regards TTL’s #MeToo movement, and I just realized something: we need to cast a spotlight on wrestling.

Last I recall, the only difference in the world of wrestling ITTL was Geekhis offhandedly mentioning Hogan losing the belt to Andre prior to Wrestlemania III so he can star in He Man, and then return at Wrestlemania in order to regain it, but given how we are nearing 1993, I think we have no choice to talk about wrestling some more here, because of two key things:

Women’s wrestling, and Jerry Lawler.

Last edited:
Been meaning to ask, Geekhis, but given Disney's partnership with the Good Sports people, is there a reason why some of these family-friendly sports movies (Mighty Ducks, Luck of the Irish, Air Bud, Herbie, Remember the Titans, Cool Runnings) aren't under some kind of Good Sports Films label? ;)
Well, even maintaining a film label comes with a cost, even if it doesn't have its own personnel. Not really enough films to justify the label.

Is it possible for Burton to do Stay Tuned (1992 in OTL) like he was supposed to but dropped it to do Batman Returns?

His style would make so much sense for this movie and while it’s not a bad movie it just doesn’t flesh out the story like it should. Burton could help fix that.

I could also see Kevin Nealon or Phil Hartman doing great stuff in the lead male role with maybe a new villain actor since Jeffrey Jones had ……issues. Maybe the late great Ray Walston, who already played the devil in Damn Yankees! Or maybe Eugene Levy, who did great work in the film as the villainous henchman.

View attachment 709088
Tim himself? Too "big" and too busy. But you may see the film in the near future...

Oof the USA really is a powder barrel right now ITTL.
Was in OTL at the time too. LA Riots, Crown Heights riots, etc.

I'm surprised that Spielberg has made Schindler's List so early given that we know that Roger Rabbit Sequels are still on the way, dud he still do the Prequel idea or is it something else? Or is Spielberg not involved?

Great chapter @Geekhis Khan
Spielberg was only tangentially involved in RR iTTL. It was an all-Disney production, though he helped set up the deals with WB, etc., for appearances by their companies' characters.

Now I’m wondering what got Clint Eastwood his oscar?
Unforgiven, released by Columbia iTTL. I didn't take the time to figure out which went where.

Quick question. How does Liam Neeson win Best Actor at the Oscars for Schindler's List in 1993 when you already said in a previous post Robert Downey Jr wins that same year for Chaplin?
Easy, I forgot about Chaplin. The truth is that I write some posts way in advance and others come relatively late. Schindler being done a couple of years early was a late add. It can be really hard for me to keep it all straight. I'd assume that Neeson would win easily here, so I'll Retcon the RDJ Oscar.

One thing I may look into later is the affects of the earlier MeToo and fashion. But I may not doo much as I am not a fashion guy.
Me neither, but I'm sure it will have affects.

And Model: The Ugly Business of Beautiful Women by Michael Gross (the writer not the actor) will hit with a loud bang.

The Dark side of the 90s has a good episode on it.

I am linking it here as it deals with sexual assault and a toxic atmosphere.

Secrets Of The Runway

EDIT:
And 60 Minutes was already on him. Yea, his US career may be over. Not sure how the French will take it all.

With regards to David Letterman, it's a good thing he retired before the #MeToo movement started in OTL--otherwise, he would have been in hot water over his affairs with his subordinates.

In TTL, with the earlier #MeToo movement, he will have some reckoning (he won't get it as bad as others--the affairs were between consenting adults, but the power imbalance is uncomfortable (1))--maybe he confesses to it on his show (like he did over the blackmail scheme against him in OTL)...

Oh, and Jeffrey Epstein's days are numbered, too...

(1) If Letterman had been a rapist or serial assaulter, it would have come out by now, methinks...
Dating the underlings is one of those gray areas. Unless there's a clear quid pro quo then it's a matter of perceptions and power dynamics that's hard to assess. Dave will probably just have to cease and desist.

Not sure what to do with Epstein since, AFAIK, he "hasn't done anything yet" by this point in the TL. At least nothing that was reported on iOTL. Kind of a "snake in the grass" at this point.

…so, I can foresee someone making a movie about this in TTL’s future…
Yea, a bad "made for TV" exploitation one I'd suspect.

On the one hand, damn glad you saved River Phoenix. On the other hand, does his survival butterfly Joaquin's career?
It definitely tanks DiCaprio's - now he's just "that guy who fills in for Phoenix."
Joaquin has already showed up in Young Indy. He will find it much harder to break out in his brother's shadow for sure, but he won't hurt for roles. DiCaprio will be just fine. He's Good.

I have been doing some thinking regards TTL’s #MeToo movement, and I just realized something: we need to cast a spotlight on wrestling.

Last I recall, the only difference in the world of wrestling ITTL was Geekhis offhandedly mentioning Hogan losing the belt to Andre prior to Wrestlemania III so he can star in He Man, and then return at Wrestlemania in order to regain it, but given how we are nearing 1993, I think we have no choice to talk about wrestling some more here, because of two key things:

Women’s wrestling, and Jerry Lawler.
Can't speak much to it myself. Unless you or someone wanted to guest-post Pro Wrestling will only get passing mentions in my TL since it's so outside my area of knowledge.

If it's too soon to do proper effects for the Fantastic Four, then wouldn't the X-Men be even more heavy on effects? Also (unless it got butterflied somehow) the animated X-Men series would already be running by that point; it debuted October 31, 1992.
Do any of the X-Men stretch or catch on fire?
What Nick said. Mr. F. in particular will be hard to make not look plastic in the early 1990s. The Creatureworks want some time to work out the stretch-and-skew to do it right. On the X-Men side, much of it will be simple makeup and prosthetics. Cyclops' eye beams will be light effects, which are pretty mature by this point. The rigs and lifts in the Green Box would allow for all sorts of leap/run/fly type effects. Probably won't be able to do things like in OTL X-Men, like the politician turning into a human jellyfish, but most of the main X-Men and BoM will be within possibility.

@Geekhis Khan Is it okay if I ask for a chart of Disney and the other conglomerates and what they own ITTL?
I'll see what I can do. Jokes about them owning "everything" aside, they actually directly own/control less IP than people think (much of it is distribution and partnership).

Jurassic Park, for example: IP still belongs to Michael Crichton, production and distribution rights are shared with Amblin. About all Disney "owns" here is certain likenesses and designs specific to the film, which are shared with Amblin 50-50.

And on the Paramount Fox Network, to boot!

Speaking of which, in the scope of both Books 1 and 2, has Disney made a show for each of the big networks? I'm talking ABC, CBS, NBC, and PFN. Plus any more places I may have missed.
Yes, at this point Disney-MGM, as an independent production company, has shows on all four networks.

Yes, at this point Disney-MGM, as an independent production company, has shows on all four networks.
Does this include their Saturday Morning blocks? We know that the X-Men cartoon and Muppet Babies are both made by subsidiaries of Disney, and those shows are on PFN and CBS, respectively. What about ABC and NBC?

Did the math and realized Jim is rather wealthy now. The Henson family owns Disney stock worth $4.98 billion now. Might be interesting having an in-universe article or whatever about reaching the $5 billion net worth mark. That is a lot of wealth to address in some way. Pretty good return on investment over 13 years even taking into account the later buyout.

And 60 Minutes was already on him. Yea, his US career may be over. Not sure how the French will take it all.
Well France is... odd on more than just fashion... but Fashion does open doors to abuse.

Age of consent like many in Europe is 15, it varies nation to nation. But French Academia has a long history of problems,

Using modern examples

France's elite confronted by sexual abuse scandals

And if you want an older example here is one...

I don’t understand it. But think the we’ll see backlash against the “North American morals” that French elites will rally against. “It will ruin France!”, they’ll yell. It just makes my skin crawl...

EDIT: I am avoiding the term “woke” as I have no idea what the contemporary term in this universe would be? Some synonym of woke probably, if there is one.

Well France is... odd on more than just fashion... but Fashion does open doors to abuse.

Age of consent like many in Europe is 15, it varies nation to nation. But French Academia has a long history of problems,

Using modern examples

France's elite confronted by sexual abuse scandals

And if you want an older example here is one...

I don’t understand it. But think the we’ll see backlash against the “North American morals” that French elites will rally against. “It will ruin France!”, they’ll yell. It just makes my skin crawl...

EDIT: I am avoiding the term “woke” as I have no idea what the contemporary term in this universe would be? Some synonym of woke probably, if there is one.

While the French elite will, I do imagine the youth and so on will take it in, as is the nature of rebellion. And yeah, alot of potential for the butting of heads, namely for the French establishment unwilling to admit being wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.