Status
Not open for further replies.
Now I'm wondering that if this would make Mexican mask-wrestling more popular as a result and if some of the American wrestlers would ban together to try and start something new as the whole thing is ending and McMahon's empire is crumbling.
What about the guys who do both?

Like Rey Mysterio?

Since I've been slacking on my wrestling knowledge, I decided to share the recent wrestling posts to a friend of mine who has been keeping up far more with wrestling than I, including its underbelly, along with context from the thread. His reaction indicates that, no, it wouldn't be like what happened recently to the British scene... it would be so much more worse than that.

Everyone here has to remember that North American professional wrestling has its roots in carnies, and for all intents and purposes, the McMahons are the biggest carnies in town. Anything bad that was going down? Vince knew. Jimmy Snuka murdering his girlfriend back in '83? Effectively covered up. Pat Patterson, whom the WWE keeps touting as definitive proof that they are gay friendly? Pedophilia accusations. Jerry Lawler? Actual public proof of being a pedophile, ignored by the WWE. The Fabulous Moolah? Exploited and manipulated the women's wrestling industry in the US, including prostituting the women out. And Taker only avoided attention during the 90s and forward because he kept his mouth shut, hence why we hardly know anything about his personal life until recently; for your information, man's a Trumper and Blue Lives Matter supporter now. And on WCW, all he could say was "so much shit in WCW". And this was everything he could remember on the spot, aside from everything else mentioned so far in the thread.

To quote my friend, "a #MeToo movement in the 90s would literally kill wrestling, at least in North America safe for Mexico; you can only pivot so much from all the scumbaggery." The OTL '94 Steroid Trial (United States v. McMahon) would look like a walk in the park compared to wrestling getting caught up in this. And after sharing with him the snippet of how Columbia is handling these developments from the "Boys will be Boys" update, and pointing out the mentions of WCW's existence by this point, all he could muster was "oh no, oh nonononon," as aside from Flair, there's also folks like Tully Blanchard and the rest of the Horsemen (at least by '93). To quote, "The Four Horsemen? More like, the Four Jailcells." And if Columbia already has drama in the press and courts, who knows what bringing attention to stuff in WCW might do for the industry...
Wow. Someone better guest post this for Geekhis, since this is incredible potential here!

Expanding on it, given that WWF is gonna implode should this be the case, the 90's could see a rise in several separate wrestling promotions (albeit more with a lot of regulations) across the nation, each tailored for a different region. Hell, like @CountDVB suggested, maybe mexican wrestling could expand into the US, perhaps Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre or Lucha Libre AAA World Wide.

Since I've been slacking on my wrestling knowledge, I decided to share the recent wrestling posts to a friend of mine who has been keeping up far more with wrestling than I, including its underbelly, along with context from the thread. His reaction indicates that, no, it wouldn't be like what happened recently to the British scene... it would be so much more worse than that.

[...]

To quote my friend, "a #MeToo movement in the 90s would literally kill wrestling, at least in North America safe for Mexico; you can only pivot so much from all the scumbaggery."
1641950982146.png

Now I'm wondering that if this would make Mexican mask-wrestling more popular as a result and if some of the American wrestlers would ban together to try and start something new as the whole thing is ending and McMahon's empire is crumbling.
Gosh, I hope so. I know very little about the Mexican wrestling scene but from what I've heard those guys take their position as role-models seriously. Even guys who play Sinistras/Heels are firm in what's beneath them.

And yes, I fully endorse the formation of a proper 'league' system for wrestling, particularly if it takes a cue from the European football model where the top couple of wrestlers from the Minor/Regional League are elevated to the Major League each season, replacing the bottom-performing wrestlers from the Majors.

I mean the general principal. FIFA's issues do not stem from the idea of moving teams between leagues based on performance record.

I mean the general principal. FIFA's issues do not stem from the idea of moving teams between leagues based on performance record.
You are aware that Professional Wrestling is as much entertainment as an athletic performance and any "performance record" wrestlers would have is more scripted than actual competition? AFAIK generally speaking winners and losers are predetermined before the match depending on if you're a face or heel and what tier you belong to, i.e. headliner, mid tier, or jobber. The higher the tier the more likely you are to win and faces are more likely to beat a heel unless the heel is a headliner and the face is mid tier or lower. Mind you this is coming from someone who hasn't seen wrestling in a while so other more informed individuals may know better.

Oh, certainly.
By 'performance record' I meant both the win/loss rate (largely scripted), but also the popularity of the wrestler with the public. Because the two are related, since popular wrestlers are going to win more, the wrestlers people like advance in the league while less popular wrestlers still get to compete in the ring even if they drop to a lower league bracket. It's only the genuinely unpopular wrestlers who leave the league entirely because they can't make it even at the Minor Leagues.

I think it also allows some wrestlers to voluntarily drop to a lower bracket if they feel the need to reduce their hours in the ring, or need a break from the media coverage, or just discover they really like the smaller venues. You can also have 'honest fights' where the result is unscripted and either chosen by the wrestlers between themselves or adlibbed in the ring (I understand there's a lot of talk in the ring between wrestlers to make the moves work). Naturally this would only work in the early parts of a season when the results of individual matches don't mean much so the wrestlers have the freedom to take an upset loss if they think it'd play to the crowd better.

This is all pie-in-the-sky thinking here but if the whole WWE system collapses you never know what might end up taking its place.

And Taker only avoided attention during the 90s and forward because he kept his mouth shut, hence why we hardly know anything about his personal life until recently; for your information, man's a Trumper and Blue Lives Matter supporter now.

That doesn't surprise me at all - he's such an avid biker that he based the whole Biker Taker persona on his own hobby, back in the day, and bikers aren't usually known for their progressive views. :p

The likes of Eddie Guerrero and Rey Mysterio would surely stay in Mexico, with likely stints in Japan as well (as Eddie did IRL, but I can see him become a lucharesu pioneer as well, in the smaller, indie side of the Japanese industry); however, lucha libre and puroresu have their dark side as well, namely the cliquish behaviour of Mexican wrestling families, and the rampant hazing of trainees in Japan - there'll be shock waves from the implosion of the US industry over there, too.

As for what would happen in North America, wrestling would be nothing but hardcore federations (in the early 1990s, ECW was still a few years away, and the likes of the aforementioned Mick Foley hadn't become mainstream yet) and throwback promotions (the remains of the old NWA, that were by then far from the mainstream), with the Mexican and Japanese companies trying to expand into Canada and the US, but not very successfully, as wrestling's reputation would be in ruins.

Women's wrestling might experience somewhat of a renaissance though, since the old boys' club would've been nuked to oblivion, and the general public would be far more likely to place their trust in a bunch of women trying to rebuild what the Fabulous Moolah destroyed, than in a bunch of men trying to rebuild what Vince McMahon established.

For the same reason, joshi promotions from Japan would probably find it easier to expand in North America, especially if they try to capitalize on the popularity of Japanese pop culture overseas - again, the general public would be more inclined to like women dressed like J-Pop idols pulling off acrobatic lucha stunts and hard-hitting puro moves, than their male equivalents.

Does this include their Saturday Morning blocks? We know that the X-Men cartoon and Muppet Babies are both made by subsidiaries of Disney, and those shows are on PFN and CBS, respectively. What about ABC and NBC?
Recall that ABC hosted Wonderful World of Disney at one point and the Ewaaks and Droids cartoons. NBC has done several MGM/Hyperion produced shows to the point that the Hyperion Channel on basic cable is called "NBC's dumping ground" for all the struggling shows moved there.

Did the math and realized Jim is rather wealthy now. The Henson family owns Disney stock worth $4.98 billion now. Might be interesting having an in-universe article or whatever about reaching the $5 billion net worth mark. That is a lot of wealth to address in some way. Pretty good return on investment over 13 years even taking into account the later buyout.
Yep, they're seriously wealthy at least in hypothetical terms, though a major stock drop would eat a lot of that away. They were millionaires before the Disney deal. Still, between dividends and other investments the Hensons have plenty of liquid and solid assets as well. Recall that Heather used her share to found a small studio.

I'm hoping that we can get some real African inspiration into the film with the use of Malian instruments (I love West African music a LOT, so this is seriously exciting).
You have Belafonte doing the music, so yes, it will be seriously African-based. And as a fan of Malian Blues I'm totally down with Malian music being the core of it. Since there's that distant link to the American Blues it would feel both exotic and familiar to western audiences at the same time.

Although they could go somewhere nice and pristine like New Mexico or Arizona, I'm gonna suggest something absolutely fucking wild that might make sense with Jim Henson/Daryl Hannah's environmentalist tendencies and the current politics of both California and the United States: The Salton Sea.
I'm sure he's seen it. They drove from NY to LA a few times iOTL, and you go right by it.

Brave Sir Robin ran away.
Not this Sir Robin. He'll face the Peril, even if it means almost certain temptation.

tumblr_p8pfpr2FZM1v230yto7_1280.jpg

(image source Jim Henson - the Muppet Master on Tumbler)

Here's another wrestler who might face a reckoning for their behavior: Ric Flair (he had a habit of exposing himself backstage). If a Plane Ride From Hell-type incident occurs in TTL, he won't get off lightly, methinks...
Screw that, the whole fucking industry would burn to the ground, minus Mick Foley - when a guy best known for insane hardcore violence is actually the most wholesome person in the industry, you know you have a problem. Even someone as admired as The Undertaker might go under, he never did anything weird as far as I know but he's always been a staunch Vince McMahon loyalist, and it wouldn't surprise me if he'd been very old school in the way he kept order in the locker room back in the day.

Basically what happened recently to the British scene, but to the US and Canada.
Wow. Someone better guest post this for Geekhis, since this is incredible potential here!
Japanese Wrestling might also find an expansion in the US if the WWF collapses.
As platy said, yes, someone do a guest post for this. I could see an emboldened 60 Minutes running an expose. McMahon will certainly try to sweep it all under the rug. Turner will try to purge the WCW. I was going with turner buying the ACW in 1990 like Unknown suggested a while back. I can see this open the doors for Luca Libre earlier, assuming they don't have a host of issues too. I'm curious about how this would change the industry in general. Please PM me for an article.

Recall that ABC hosted Wonderful World of Disney at one point and the Ewaaks and Droids cartoons. NBC has done several MGM/Hyperion produced shows to the point that the Hyperion Channel on basic cable is called "NBC's dumping ground" for all the struggling shows moved there.

Yep, they're seriously wealthy at least in hypothetical terms, though a major stock drop would eat a lot of that away. They were millionaires before the Disney deal. Still, between dividends and other investments the Hensons have plenty of liquid and solid assets as well. Recall that Heather used her share to found a small studio.

You have Belafonte doing the music, so yes, it will be seriously African-based. And as a fan of Malian Blues I'm totally down with Malian music being the core of it. Since there's that distant link to the American Blues it would feel both exotic and familiar to western audiences at the same time.

I'm sure he's seen it. They drove from NY to LA a few times iOTL, and you go right by it.

Not this Sir Robin. He'll face the Peril, even if it means almost certain temptation.

tumblr_p8pfpr2FZM1v230yto7_1280.jpg

(image source Jim Henson - the Muppet Master on Tumbler)

As platy said, yes, someone do a guest post for this. I could see an emboldened 60 Minutes running an expose. McMahon will certainly try to sweep it all under the rug. Turner will try to purge the WCW. I was going with turner buying the ACW in 1990 like Unknown suggested a while back. I can see this open the doors for Luca Libre earlier, assuming they don't have a host of issues too. I'm curious about how this would change the industry in general. Please PM me for an article.

I wonder how would wrestling in Canada be influenced, AFAIK the Hart family was batshit insane as far as training methods went, but I never heard of any kind of McMahon-esque scummy behaviour coming from them. And maybe, Jesse Ventura could have his last laugh over Vince, and establish his own unionized promotion - being based in Minnesota, he's basically next door to western Canada anyway.

I see. Thank you!
Speaking of Hyperion's NBC ties, is The Hyperion Channel going to be the a way to give The Golden Palace more than one season? Not saying I expect that at this rate, but I'm also not not saying that.

I wonder how would wrestling in Canada be influenced, AFAIK the Hart family was batshit insane as far as training methods went, but I never heard of any kind of McMahon-esque scummy behaviour coming from them. And maybe, Jesse Ventura could have his last laugh over Vince, and establish his own unionized promotion - being based in Minnesota, he's basically next door to western Canada anyway.
Speaking of the Harts.

Wrestling imploding also means that Owen won't die right? Or at least his death will probably be butterflied since it was a random accident and those are the first to go.

BTW it might sound morbid, but I wouldn't mind someone dying before their time and seeing how that changes those around them. Like the only person I remember dying instead of surviving is MJ dying at 27.

I see. Thank you!
Speaking of Hyperion's NBC ties, is The Hyperion Channel going to be the a way to give The Golden Palace more than one season? Not saying I expect that at this rate, but I'm also not not saying that.
It's possible. IOTL, CBS was ready to renew The Golden Palace for a second seasonal until literally the last minute. Even so, I can't imagine it lasting much longer than another two or three seasons, considering Estelle Getty's declining health.

Status
Not open for further replies.