How's the Start?

• Total voters
So what are Russian thoughts on ottoman navy ITTL

In OTL Russia had leaned on Britain to not give the two Dreadnoughts to Ottomans.

Horseshoe

Banned
If the Ottoman empire manages to keep it's 1914 borders still modern day it will become a superpower and one of the wealthiest nations in world with most of the middle east oil under it's control

If the Ottoman empire manages to keep it's 1914 borders still modern day it will become a superpower and one of the wealthiest nations in world with most of the middle east oil under it's control
not a superpower, but a powerful great power yes. That is if they can negate the resource curse

How much of the oil would Ottomans control?

And I don't think they would be a superpower but a great power with good economy(if they are able to use their oil money correctly) with a very good strategic position (more so if they get the Suez Canal back)

And I think they would have more territory than 1914 (Libya, Balkans area etc)

Last edited:

And I don't think they would be a superpower but a great power with good economy(if they are able to use their oil money correctly) with a very good strategic position (more so if they get the Suez Canal back)

yeah more or less

Well to be fair Ottoman economy is more diverse than any of Post-colonial middle eastern nation. They already have some light Industry and basic Infrastructure as a basis for further development. Not to mention no economic disruption due to place that formerly exist in same border suddenly find themselves in different one (like Aleppo) and Massive chaos and destruction of the great war bring to the region. Otl much of middle east basically start from scratch to rebuild their economy and oil just happen to be right there.

To the tl itself i like the Greece-Ottoman normalization of relation. Is refreshing since most tl that delve into the subject usually made them always hostile or even genocidal to each other. Maybe next Ottoman can further to develop better relation with other Balkan Nation that not necessarily antagonistic to them now like Romania or Montenegro.

To the internal politic itself i want 'Arabs' from urban place like Syria or Mashriq play a major role in Ottoman Government in the future.

Interesting update.
The dreadnoughts ordered from Britain were all based on the Iron Duke Class dreadnoughts, whilst the light cruisers ordered from Britain were based on the Drake Class Armored Cruisers Class. The destroyers ordered from Germany and Austria-Hungary were all based on the Peyk-i-Sevket class destroyers, and the submarines ordered from Austria-Hungary were based on the Austro-Hungarian U u-boat series.
I'm curious as to how different these ships are to the designs they are based on - I would assume they are at least a little different in terms of secondary armament.

However, the answer can probably wait until the ships are actually built :)

Interesting update.

I'm curious as to how different these ships are to the designs they are based on - I would assume they are at least a little different in terms of secondary armament.

OTL Reshadiye class was mostly based on the King George V class battleship (the first one, not the WW2 one) with some improvements (shared with the Iron Duke class), the midship main gun turret was one deck higher compared to the British ships, the secondary armament was 6" instead of 4". The hull was also shorter and wider, giving better turning radius but has some negatives in armour protection and coal capacity.

Btw @Sārthākā you call Peyk-i Sevket a destroyer but it was actually a Torpedo Cruiser (thought sometimes called a Torpedo Gunboat). Thought I suppose they are generally similar to destroyers. Even so, why not base it off the Muavenet-i Milliye class? They are newer than Peyk.

Btw @Sārthākā you call Peyk-i Sevket a destroyer but it was actually a Torpedo Cruiser (thought sometimes called a Torpedo Gunboat). Thought I suppose they are generally similar to destroyers. Even so, why not base it off the Muavenet-i Milliye class? They are newer than Peyk
It was classified by the Ottoman files in 1911 as a destroyer, though later it was changed to be cruisers. About the second part, cheaper. The ottomans still have massive financial restraints.

Interesting update.

the designs and characteristics will come when they arrive in the hands of the navy

Well to be fair Ottoman economy is more diverse than any of Post-colonial middle eastern nation. They already have some light Industry and basic Infrastructure as a basis for further development. Not to mention no economic disruption due to place that formerly exist in same border suddenly find themselves in different one (like Aleppo) and Massive chaos and destruction of the great war bring to the region. Otl much of middle east basically start from scratch to rebuild their economy and oil just happen to be right there.
true. The Mersin port for example lost its importance after ww1 due to the economic damage done.

There are two King George V. how is that possible?

did you mean "better"

The Royal Navy aren't very good at counting? :p

1. King George V was the king when both classes were designed and the first class was retired before the second was designed.

2. I meant "newer" and edited the post accordingly.

Both Greece and the Turks will be engaged in a semi-naval race yes, however with the cooling in relations, a middle ground like a naval treaty is likely.
The political factors that affected making the order for Salamis and torpedo boats go to Germany just got removed. But treaty or no treaty Greece will want at least 2 full battleships to match the Ottomans. So a pair is ordered from either Britain or the US. Given that based on the Argentine contracts the US was offering delivery in 27 months at a cost of 2,19 million pounds and British firms delivery in 33 months at a cost of 2.424 million pounds I think the US wins hands down here. On the other had Britain will be getting all destroyer orders.

A naval treaty not to go beyond the initial orders could be possible... but the Ottomans still thought in great power terms and had to also deal with the Russian Black sea fleet or for that matter the Italians. The Russians have already ordered 3 dreadnoughts in the Black Sea. So I don't really see them wanting to alter the 1911 law that called for 6 battleships just to accommodate the Greeks...

Germaniac

Donor
Just a note regarding the "Third Army"; by this point the Ottoman army has adopted the triangular division structure (Three Regiments with 3 battalions each), so three divisions would not be considered an army instead three divisions would constitute a corp. The 6th Division would have been part of the 2nd Corp of the 1st Army Inspectorate (in war being the 1st Army/Eastern Army/Thrace) and the 17th and 18th Divisions would have been part of the 6th Corp of the 2nd Army Inspectorate (2nd Army/Western Army/Macedonia). Also at that time the Division stationed in Libya was the 42nd Independent Division, so any Corp/Army structure would follow the naming conventions of [Place] Provisional Corp.

The Syrian Divisions were part of the 8th Corp (strangely also part of the Macedonian 2nd Army Inspectorate and meant to fight Greece) and consisted of 25th, 26th, 27th Divisions.

Last edited:
Great chapter. I think the OE need to focus more on submarines and spy networks to be ahead of there enemy's .

Funny you should say that about Submarines. First submarine to fire a torpedo while submerged was Ottoman. There were only 2 of them and they were horribly ill maintained which was problematic.

So Ottoman Empire was ahead but fell behind. (Istanbul subway system is similar I suppose)

Im going to assume the empire will not focus in tank development and mostly be about speed and artillery, so armies can get to frontlines quick enough and artillery is easy to produce.