So, basically Yugoslav Wars come early? Though, with the German Eagle's iron claws coming to roost over Austria, I imagine everyone thinking of tearing apart the Habsburg Empire is suddenly having second thoughts. The Habsburgs might be decrepit, but the Hohenzollerns of Prussia are anything but decrepit (and I imagine things are quite tense between them and their Romanian branch right now).

Also, I notice von Bethmann-Hollweg is no longer Imperial Chancellor, and just Foreign Minister. A government change in Berlin, I imagine.

Last edited:
Would Maximillian really get a regal name if he is only regent to Otto I? Or is Max an emperor in his own right and Otto would succeed him on his death rather than when he comes of age?

On a related note, I wonder who's in command of the German Army sent into the Danube. I doubt it's von Hindenburg or Ludendorff, assuming von Falkenhayn is still Chief of the General Staff, as they all hate each other. I suppose von Falkenhayn might take personal command, but that seems unlikely. Von Lettow-Vorbeck's still probably in Africa, his successes in East Africa making him the prime choice for securing Mittelafrika, so von Falkenhayn will have to look for someone else to get the job done without having to turn to his rivals*. Von Mackensen seems the most eminent choice, though von Francois** is also a probable choice, especially if von Falkenhayn wants to rub von Hindenburg and Ludendorff's faces in (IIRC von Francois rubbed von Hindenburg and Ludendorff the wrong way). Alternatively, von Hutier could also be in command, something to give their enemies a heart attack just from his name, the architect of the Stormtrooper Corps and the Conqueror of Amiens that von Hutier is.

*I imagine von Hindenburg and Ludendorff's cults of personality aren't nearly as influential as IOTL? Sure, they're the victors of Tannenberg, but von Falkenhayn brought France down at Verdun, and crippled the BEF and finally defeated the Belgians by capturing both Earl Haig and King Albert at Dunkirk.

**An ironic name, all things considered.

So not only do we have one of the greatest tragedies in European history just happen, but Germany's refusal to let anyone recognize Transylvanian independence just rendered any motive behind said tragedy pointless

This is just a huge mess across Europe...and the worst part is that we're still in the "calm" portion of history before WW2 starts. What a quandary.

The Balkans is doing what it does best and being a major battleground between several medium and big tier powers. Danubia is slowly falling apart, Hungary's luck has finally run out with a Prussian fist rapidly hurtling towards them, Bulgaria is just vibing in the background grabbing the tiblets it can while ticking everybody off, Romania is messing around with their metaphorical psychopathic little brother Transylvania, Serbia got their independence but is now in the midst of a pseudo civil war, and Italy is apparently smelling the blood in the water and making a nuisance of itself to Maximilian and Salzburg.

Danubia surviving this maelstrom of calamity is going to quite the accomplishment if they can pull it of.

Well, Danubia is all bathed on blood from east to west, and whatever is going to win, it would remain weakened for a long time, between Berlin, Sofia and Rome's different objectives.

It looks that Serbia is going to become indipendent, but Montenegro seems to become a hotspot.... Italy could attempt to not allow Serbia to not annex it, for strategic and dynastic reasons, and I suppose this is going the "belligerent act" which was mentioned at the end of the chapter. Because hardly could see Italy going for Dalmatia, as Croatia would be still loyal to Danubia - unless it would flip for indipendence, but the Croats between the Serbians and the Hungarians may decide to still stand with the Empire... Well we will see.

So, basically Yugoslav Wars come early? Though, with the German Eagle's iron claws coming to roost over Austria, I imagine everyone thinking of tearing apart the Habsburg Empire is suddenly having second thoughts. The Habsburgs might be decrepit, but the Hohenzollerns of Prussia are anything but decrepit (and I imagine things are quite tense between them and their Romanian branch right now).

Also, I notice von Bethmann-Hollweg is no longer Imperial Chancellor, and just Foreign Minister. A government change in Berlin, I imagine.
Yugoslavia? Well, this is a less total collapse than that, but it's still bad. Unlike OTL's Yugoslav Wars, Danubia will come out of this territorially intact (less Serbia) and it won't be such a bloody quagmire. That said, there are similarities.
Yeah, I need to post a chapter on German politics soon...
Well, Danubia is all bathed on blood from east to west, and whatever is going to win, it would remain weakened for a long time, between Berlin, Sofia and Rome's different objectives.

It looks that Serbia is going to become indipendent, but Montenegro seems to become a hotspot.... Italy could attempt to not allow Serbia to not annex it, for strategic and dynastic reasons, and I suppose this is going the "belligerent act" which was mentioned at the end of the chapter. Because hardly could see Italy going for Dalmatia, as Croatia would be still loyal to Danubia - unless it would flip for indipendence, but the Croats between the Serbians and the Hungarians may decide to still stand with the Empire... Well we will see.
Danubian unity and prestige will never recover from this.
Serbian independence, with covert Bulgarian (and even Italian and Greek) support is a fait accompli. That said, the new state won't have an easy time of it.
Italy... well, you'll see... The Croats, for their part, are actually staunchly on the Imperial side- decades of "internal colonisation" by the Hungarians have left them deeply in favour of the new union and they're happy to stick it to their long-time oppressors.
Would Maximillian really get a regal name if he is only regent to Otto I? Or is Max an emperor in his own right and Otto would succeed him on his death rather than when he comes of age?
Fair enough. He's de jure just a regent, but ITTL he's commonly known as Maximilian IV and that's what I'll refer to him as, even though it's not technically accurate.
On a related note, I wonder who's in command of the German Army sent into the Danube. I doubt it's von Hindenburg or Ludendorff, assuming von Falkenhayn is still Chief of the General Staff, as they all hate each other. I suppose von Falkenhayn might take personal command, but that seems unlikely. Von Lettow-Vorbeck's still probably in Africa, his successes in East Africa making him the prime choice for securing Mittelafrika, so von Falkenhayn will have to look for someone else to get the job done without having to turn to his rivals*. Von Mackensen seems the most eminent choice, though von Francois** is also a probable choice, especially if von Falkenhayn wants to rub von Hindenburg and Ludendorff's faces in (IIRC von Francois rubbed von Hindenburg and Ludendorff the wrong way). Alternatively, von Hutier could also be in command, something to give their enemies a heart attack just from his name, the architect of the Stormtrooper Corps and the Conqueror of Amiens that von Hutier is.

*I imagine von Hindenburg and Ludendorff's cults of personality aren't nearly as influential as IOTL? Sure, they're the victors of Tannenberg, but von Falkenhayn brought France down at Verdun, and crippled the BEF and finally defeated the Belgians by capturing both Earl Haig and King Albert at Dunkirk.

**An ironic name, all things considered.
I'm still in the process of deciding that. Von Hutier would be a good choice, though.
As to Hindenburg/Ludendorff versus Falkenhayn, you're absolutely correct- H/L will be much less prominent ITTL (although they will have a certain amount of influence in the East).
So not only do we have one of the greatest tragedies in European history just happen, but Germany's refusal to let anyone recognize Transylvanian independence just rendered any motive behind said tragedy pointless
Yep. This will stoke even more anger between Hungary and Romania... and the worst part is, the National Homogenisation Plan barely scratched the surface, it could've been so much worse...
This is just a huge mess across Europe...and the worst part is that we're still in the "calm" portion of history before WW2 starts. What a quandary.

The Balkans is doing what it does best and being a major battleground between several medium and big tier powers. Danubia is slowly falling apart, Hungary's luck has finally run out with a Prussian fist rapidly hurtling towards them, Bulgaria is just vibing in the background grabbing the tiblets it can while ticking everybody off, Romania is messing around with their metaphorical psychopathic little brother Transylvania, Serbia got their independence but is now in the midst of a pseudo civil war, and Italy is apparently smelling the blood in the water and making a nuisance of itself to Maximilian and Salzburg.

Danubia surviving this maelstrom of calamity is going to quite the accomplishment if they can pull it of.
That's an accurate reading of the situation... to think we're not even three years from the PoD! This TL will continue to be a mess for its inhabitants.
With the help of its German master ally, Danubia will survive... but it'll never be the same again.

Thank you to all of you for reading, commenting, and liking! There's nothing I love more than putting out an update for you, and you make it possible!

Considering the near-complete loss of control of the Danubian territories, and Berlin having to help Vienna achieve victory again, Austria's time as master of the Balkan's pretty much over, so i could imagine many Austrian's bringing up the ever-popular Großdeutschland. I know you just said the Federation's going to survive, but i would at least expect the phrase to be murmured among the Austrian public

Considering the near-complete loss of control of the Danubian territories, and Berlin having to help Vienna achieve victory again, Austria's time as master of the Balkan's pretty much over, so i could imagine many Austrian's bringing up the ever-popular Großdeutschland. I know you just said the Federation's going to survive, but i would at least expect the phrase to be murmured among the Austrian public
Oh, it's absolutely popular amongst the people. A lot of Austrians are saying, "we're trapped in a weak empire with a bunch of Hungarians who killed our emperor and sacked our capital, and a lot of quasi-genocidal Transylvanians... I'd rather have my place in the sun with Kaiser Wilhelm".

Oh, it's absolutely popular amongst the people. A lot of Austrians are saying, "we're trapped in a weak empire with a bunch of Hungarians who killed our emperor and sacked our capital, and a lot of quasi-genocidal Transylvanians... I'd rather have my place in the sun with Kaiser Wilhelm".
On that topic... What's Hitler up to in this timeline?

The Rise and Fall of Adolf Hitler
On that topic... What's Hitler up to in this timeline?
I actually gave this a lot of thought. So, here goes...

After joining the German Army in 1914 and fighting on the Western Front, Adolf Hitler was transferred to the East in the wake of the Springtime Mutinies, just in time to serve in the Oststorm, the Hutier-led offensive that broke Russia's back. He distinguished himself repeatedly, winning two Iron Crosses. However, he was never especially popular amongst the men who surrounded him. After the war ended, he returned to Munich, but fell on hard times. In May 1917, he became an art teacher at a primary school for boys, while keeping an eye on Danubian politics. Hitler loathed Emperor Karl and the Constitution, ranting in his diary about the "racially bastardised state" and its "Jewish wire-pulling elite." When news came of the sack of Vienna, he is said to have rhetorically asked his pupils, "What can one expect from a such a race as the Hungarians? It all goes back to Genghis Khan, you know." This did not endear him to one boy of Hungarian descent, who burst into tears. Hitler then, acting in a rage, made a blunder that would get him fired- after the child refused to stop blubbering, he rammed a lampshade on the boy's head. The child's furious father accosted Hitler after school that day, and the two got into a fight. This made Hitler so livid that he went home and chewed on the carpet to release his anger. Hitler would later join the German expeditionary force sent to Danubia...

Wait, he left the army in the first place? I thought he loved it and the brotherhood it provided. That and being the only source of positive influence it had on his life.

@Kaiser Wilhelm the Tenth , two things...

First, the Danubian Empire (and the Austrian Empire and Austro-Hungarian Empires before them) do not share a link with the previous Holy Roman Empire. In fact, the only thing that tying the two was the fact that the first Austrian Emperor was the last Holy Roman Emperor (that being Franz I of Austria, who was concurrently for about two years, Franz II, Holy Roman Emperor) so in such a scenario it would technically still be Maximilian I, given if the above case were true, Ferdinand I (r. 1835-1848) would be Ferdinand V and likewise, Blessed Emperor Karl I would be Karl VIII.

As for the other thing, unless Archduke Maximilian Eugen was intending to usurp the throne for himself, he wouldn't be enumbered as if he were Kaiser of Danubia. He would still be regent for his five-year old nephew, now Kaiser Otto I, but he himself would not be...granted unless their would be a planned precedent (ala that of the Roman/Byzantine Empires) then you could probably ignore this.

@Kaiser Wilhelm the Tenth , two things...

First, the Danubian Empire (and the Austrian Empire and Austro-Hungarian Empires before them) do not share a link with the previous Holy Roman Empire. In fact, the only thing that tying the two was the fact that the first Austrian Emperor was the last Holy Roman Emperor (that being Franz I of Austria, who was concurrently for about two years, Franz II, Holy Roman Emperor) so in such a scenario it would technically still be Maximilian I, given if the above case were true, Ferdinand I (r. 1835-1848) would be Ferdinand V and likewise, Blessed Emperor Karl I would be Karl VIII.

As for the other thing, unless Archduke Maximilian Eugen was intending to usurp the throne for himself, he wouldn't be enumbered as if he were Kaiser of Danubia. He would still be regent for his five-year old nephew, now Kaiser Otto I, but he himself would not be...granted unless their would be a planned precedent (ala that of the Roman/Byzantine Empires) then you could probably ignore this.
Thanks for catching that. Retconned.