Well if you're going to f*** up, and give Chad to Germany, may as well run with it.
Why would that be a bad thing from a writer's standpoint? I know it wouldn't be good for the locals, but why don't you like it?
Edit: my apologies, hadn't seen your last comment!
Um... are there even enough cars in all of Serbia to make this a serious problem? This is only 1917, after all...
I would assume so.
Then again, maybe I've been reading too much TL-191

So is there at least an in-universe reason as to why Germany took the whole of Chad?
I can think of one, by controlling all of Chad, Mittelafrika borders Italian Libya, meaning the Germans can eventually build rail and road links up to Tripoli, avoiding the Suez and any potential future blockades of its colonies by France or Britain. (Assuming relations stay friendly.)

I can think of one, by controlling all of Chad, Mittelafrika borders Italian Libya, meaning the Germans can eventually build rail and road links up to Tripoli, avoiding the Suez and any potential future blockades of its colonies by France or Britain. (Assuming relations stay friendly.)
I'm not an expert on this, but aren't there practical problems with trying to build a rail link that goes right through the heart of the Sahara?

I'm not an expert on this, but aren't there practical problems with trying to build a rail link that goes right through the heart of the Sahara?
Since when has practical concerns stopped colonial aspirations, the French considered a Tran-Saharan Railway to link their empire, the British have their Cape to Cairo plan, one can surmise that Mittelafrika would have its own ambitious (not to mention, expensive) Railway plan.

Needless to say, it will likely not be built, but without control of Chad it couldn't be built at all, hence, German Chad.

Since when has practical concerns stopped colonial aspirations, the French considered a Tran-Saharan Railway to link their empire, the British have their Cape to Cairo plan, one can surmise that Mittelafrika would have its own ambitious (not to mention, expensive) Railway plan.

Needless to say, it will likely not be built, but without control of Chad it couldn't be built at all, hence, German Chad.
I suppose it's something to take into account. I've got an Africa chapter scheduled... we need to take a look at things there. This issue will go into my notes- thank you to everyone who mentioned it.
I just finished binging this TL. Very good so far (although I'm worried about France).
The best response possible! :)
Really glad you like it, glad to have you onboard! France has some... *interesting*... times ahead, but it'll rebound eventually...

Concerning Mittelafrika, i've noticed that in all drawn-out plans for it, it never seems to go any further north than Lake Chad
Ger_claims_Prof_Delbruck_1917.jpg

Germany_clains_in_africa_1917.jpg

Any particular reason Germany took all of Chad ITTL?
So the British would keep South Africa and Rhodesia no matter what?

I can see Germany initially treating Tchad/Chad the same way the French did when they had it - as a useless piece of desert that they wanted mostly for its geographical location more than anything else.

What could change things majorly is the discovery of oil in the area. As far as I can tell, Germany has no colonies in Africa with major oil reserves...except for chad. An oil rush in the region would add a nice impetus for a major railroad project via Italian controlled Tripoli. With a domestic oil industry based on Chad, Germany would gain a semblance of safety from possible hostile oil embargoes from Britain and the US.

Baldrick

Banned
Would be interesting to see Pro-German rebels in Sudwestafrika.
Unlike OTL, their Fatherland is still very powerful and strong. I have no doubt they want to come back under the Kaiser.

Could be an interesting twist for Britain

Would be interesting to see Pro-German rebels in Sudwestafrika.
Unlike OTL, their Fatherland is still very powerful and strong. I have no doubt they want to come back under the Kaiser.

Could be an interesting twist for Britain
They'd probably just be repatriated to either Germany or Mittelafrika. If anything, I can see South Africa playing nice with Germany, and pushing the boundaries of their ability to conduct foreign affairs without sanction from London to cozy up to Berlin.

They'd probably just be repatriated to either Germany or Mittelafrika. If anything, I can see South Africa playing nice with Germany, and pushing the boundaries of their ability to conduct foreign affairs without sanction from London to cozy up to Berlin.

I have to agree. Sudwestafrika / Namibia is primarily desert and was never that attractive for European settlement. I'm sure some of the few German colonists in the region are not pleased with now being a part of South Africa, but they are so few in number that I don't see any chance for a meaningful resistance.

From the perspective of South Africa, I can see them treating the Germans in Namibia that choose to stay with velvet gloves. South Africa has always been generally pro white immigration and German and Dutch are sister languages. The Boers have obvious incentives to treat German settlers with kindness.

South Africa also has a fierce independent streak and getting into the good graces of a major industrial power like Germany to act a counterpoint to overbearing British dominance is a no brainer.

Remember that Britain just lost a major war. Even if the terms they had to pay were very lenient, the damage to their pride and image should not be understated. The war has perfectly illustrated just how limited and utterly worthless are many of their "promises" - just ask France. I can see South Africa flexing their diplomatic muscles and daring Britain to say something to the contrary.

If something major happens (like a full scale revolution in the British Raj) then all bets are off.