Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's not forget that if one can succeed by the dice, they can also be defeated by the dice. Here's hoping that when the big confrontation with Drakia happens they get hammered hard by the dice rolls.

Think of it more as a Wikipedia article or a history textbook than a real story, and you're good to go.
It sounds more like either
  • A person from ITTL who somehow ended up in our world and is explaining his world's history to us.
  • Someone who documents multiple timelines.

• A person from ITTL who somehow ended up in our world and is explaining his world's history to us.
In the case of this timeline, yes. It's certainly jarring, and while I can't say I'm the biggest fan of the... shall we say, informality of it all, I Iike the story enough to stick around.

I guess I was speaking more about most other TLs on this site than this one in my previous statement.

*O R G A N I C G E R M A N Y intensifies*

You're going to have to explain this one.

I am getting very odd OTL Isreal vibes from the Arab Union. Probably from the whole siege mentality.

You know that wasn't deliberate- I was trying to channel Hoxaist Albania- but looking back I can see what you mean.

That's absolutely heartbreaking; doomed brothers(and sisters)-in-arms, fighting desperately and without hope against terrible evil, while the world watches and does NOTHING. I hope they bled the Drakian bastards, and bled them good. They must've; fighting on Sun Tzu's "desperate ground" with no hope of retreat or quarter, they must have been magnificent. No less doomed, of course. I'm surprised that the Drakians had the guts to finish them, though I suppose I shouldn't be. Were they afraid that if one rebelled successfully, then all would? What did it cost, and was it worth the butcher's bill?

It was a war to the knife, desperate, courageous, and glorious for the defenders. The butcher's bill was high enough to shock the Drakians- they went in with equipment and tactics designed for lightly-armed insurgents and got their nose bloodied. It helped the rebels that there was some help from the rest of the world, weapons and ammunition smuggled in under the table, etc. that the battered Drakian Navy couldn't stop.

Was it worth it? Well as @Workable Goblin pointed out the region didn't have much in the way of irreplaceable resources or super strategic locations (access to the Arabian Gulf maybe). Drakia went all in out partly out of concern that if they let the Middle East go it would inspire rebels elsewhere, but mostly for reasons of ideology and pride. The Noble Race cannot allow itself to be defeated by inferiors, it must punish traitors to the Empire, letting territory slip from their hands would be a setback to the Final Society.

I could see the free nations of the world while not taking any direct overt operations against the Dragon spawn did probably do plenty of shady behind the scenes deals. With them having arms dealers, smugglers and the like delivering weapons to the Muslim and Jewish rebels, proto special forces training insurgents etc.

Quite so, although no one went as far as sending special forces to help train the insurgents.

Perdue you utter fool! I hope he's viewed as the worst American President

He's a controversial figure, Perdue had some fairly successful economic programs and he restored civilian oversight to an out-of-control military. But yeah, he messed up a lot of stuff.

I'm kinda curious about what other ideologies might pop up within the near future of this world. The first that springs to mind would an analog to the OTL Technocracy movement believing society should be not governed by hereditary rulers or from elected officials but through trained professionals, experts in their respective fields. Mixed with some other elements of various other OTL ideologies...

I don't know could be a good analogue to OTL fascism...

I'm a big fan of technocracy! I'm not planning on doing much with it in this particular TL, but Japanese Imperial Democracy has some technocratic elements.

With the industry of China contributing to help Japan, the Empire have further leveled its playing field with America.

Problem with that is the Chinese aren't going to be content to play second fiddle to the Japanese forever.

Good thoughts from both of you.;)

@Ephraim Ben Raphael

Why can’t I escape the notion that Klein’s navy was doing a bit of R&D on certain high-energy physics without the knowledge of the wider US government?

R&D that’s now in the hands of the Draka, or at least the basic outlines of it, while it’s been shelved or swept under the rug back home?

We'll talk about high-energy physics when we get around to touching base with the current state of technological progress in the Separate-verse.:cool:

Question: What is the Arabist position on Jews? For example, did the Arab Union take in Jewish refugees from the Holy Land?

I'm expecting TTL would probably have more positive Arab-Jewish relations, given their shared opposition to the Drakians, but I'm wondering if there's any conflict still.

Well.... the Arabs haven't forgotten that during the Crucible the Zionists fought with Drakia against the Arabs in exchange for their own princely state. The Judeo-Arab Revolt helped ease some of the bad feelings from that but they're not gone and the Arabists remember.

The Draka came out of that war more secure internally, but weaker overall. Their territory is the same, but a princely state and productive territories in the middle east have been gutted in population and physical assets, at the cost of tens of thousands of their own men and soldiers. This wasn't a predator killing an animal and eating it to add to its body, this was one paying a high cost to gnaw off an infected paw. Those rebels died but they made Draka weaker for it.

A very good analogy.

The Japanese trying to pull a Qing during the modern period sounds like a bad idea. Especially with the Draka and Societist Russia on the same continent.

Japan is practically using the same tactics to unify Asia as America used to unify North America. With one American/Japanese culture being imposed over the continent. In the most recent update we just find out that US is going through civil unrest because people want to have equal rights.

Japan wants to unify all of Asia, that means going after South East Asia and India. If the US does decides that a counter weight to the Draka and Russia is more important, the Japanese model of imperialism ain't gonna be sustainable. Even with the indirect control of the US navy the 7 Ducklings where trying for independence, once Japan tries to enforce direct control over formerly independent nations expect a multiple uprisings.

I like how you put this- Japan is trying to copy the tactics the US used to unify North America to unify East Asia and South Asia. But the American system isn't perfect- once it ran into people who point-blank refused to integrate it started having problems. And the situation in Asia is very different from North America.

Admittedly the initial Geoist regime in Russia sorta reminded me of Pol Pot for obvious reasons.

Yeah, one of the reasons why I went with Geoism as a major ideology ITTL in the first place was because I had an idea for a Khmer Rouge-esque Georgian regime.

Those were quite modern firefighter uniforms... does the insurgency continue for that long?

According to where I found the picture it was a colorized photo from the 1950s. Perhaps it was miscolored. In any case let's say that the Separate-verse recognized that yellow is a better color for visibility than red earlier on than OTL- we didn't recognize that until the 1960s and didn't implement it wide-scale until the 1970s and 80s.

On the subject of Geoism, how radical is Russia after the death of Not!Pol Pot? Is it still essentially industrialized outside of the military?

A committee took over running Russia after he got it and calmed things down considerably. They've run right up into the consequences of reality and are currently trying to straighten out the mess to some degree.

Oh dear lord the space-filling empires are real.

Might I suggest the addition of copious amounts of subdivisions, particularly in Russia and South America? It'd do wonders to break up the solid colors.

The hazards of covering the Drakaverse! But that's a good suggestion, you can certainly tell which countries I'm focusing on and which I'm not. Let me see what I can...

I gave it a shot. Most of the new subdivisions are copy-pasted from OTL, but I cleaned them up a bit and added a few differences where it made sense. I also corrected Burma, since I think it's supposed to be independent at this point.

View attachment 510837

Friggin amazing, I love it. Cannon. Good catch with Burma, btw.

Creating this made me realize that Brazil still has territory in Sao Tome and Cape Verde. What is Brazil's relationship with Drakia like right now?

Brazil's relationship with Drakia is... strained to say the least. Rio has sheltered escaping Bondsmen and dissidents fleeing the empire and Drakia has ambitions towards the Brazilian African islands.

I must admit that I'm kind of confused by the writing style of this TL-it reads not like a story, but a recounting of actual events.

I'll take that as a compliment on the verisimilitude of my writing. I hope that's not too confusing- you are still living in OTL!:biggrin:

Welcome to the Drakaverse.

There's got to be a good meme for this, but I can't find one.

Welcome to AH.com fiction

Broke
Telling events via characters and narration

Woke
Mechanically listing events like a goddamn history textbook.

Oh it's not that bad- you're reading it, you must be here for a reason.:p

Think of it more as a Wikipedia article or a history textbook than a real story, and you're good to go.

Now I'm offended. :winkytongue:

In the case of this timeline, yes. It's certainly jarring, and while I can't say I'm the biggest fan of the... shall we say, informality of it all, I Iike the story enough to stick around.

I guess I was speaking more about most other TLs on this site than this one in my previous statement.

That is a fair stylistic question.

There are a lot of TL writers who write as if their TL came from in-universe sources- @Thande does this with LTTW, so does @Jared with LoRaG. Thande uses multiverse travelers to provide an OTL perspective and analysis, both Thande and Jared also use footnotes to provide explanations of things. @Al-numbers does this as well with his excellent TL about Sarawak. There's also an approach I've seen- I believe that @Napoleon53 uses it on occasion for WMIT- to provide some explanation/exposition in a post following the main chapter post. Some people like to write TLs entirely in prose (I did this when I first started out here), some like to mix and match prose and textbook-style- you do that @HeX with AMPU, and Napoleon does it for WMIT- and there are plenty that are just textbook/encyclopedia-esque. All of the TLs referenced here are excellent in their own way.

When I started this TL I decided to do something that I had experimented a little with, but hadn't really done before. I was going to integrate my commentary directly into the main narrative and I was going to make the tone snarky. I was also going to do the whole thing textbook style.

Why do it like this? Well partly because that was how the idea formed in my head, but mostly because I wanted to. I'm writing this TL as something fun to do in my free time. I'm... dealing with some exhausting bullshit right now, one element of which is the fact that I have three preps for three classes I've never taught before, only one of which is history, and that's for a combined 7th/8th grade class for which content is so far down my list priorities (classroom management comes first, second, and third) that I find my lesson plans boring. Writing this TL is one of the few things I genuinely look forward to when I have a free moment. It's a chance to scratch my history itch, a chance to have fun with some low-stakes creative writing. I find textbook style a lot more enjoyable to write than prose (I'm autistic, don't judge me), and the thought of working out all of the details needed for in-universe sources is exhausting. It's easier to explain things in the text than to footnote the explanations, it makes more sense in my head, and the snark is a nice release. I also love seeing people commenting, whether to discuss elements of the TL or just to say that they're enjoying it (constructive criticism is fine too- it means you care enough to make suggestions).

Point is- I'm genuinely sorry if the tone is jarring or difficult to follow at times. I have on occasion just started gushing about what I think is a fascinating point in OTL history before relating it to TTL, and I can see how that could be confusing. I may not be doing it in the future, but right now it's just something I'm enjoying and having fun with.

Besides, this is a Drakaverse cover- a little informality is merited I think.:)

Point is- I'm genuinely sorry if the tone is jarring or difficult to follow at times. I have on occasion just started gushing about what I think is a fascinating point in OTL history before relating it to TTL, and I can see how that could be confusing. I may not be doing it in the future, but right now it's just something I'm enjoying and having fun with.

Besides, this is a Drakaverse cover- a little informality is merited I think.:)
I hope I didn't come off wrong there--I didn't mean "jarring" in a bad way. It's "jarring" in comparison to what one might usually find on this site, which is by no means a bad thing.

Oh it's not that bad- you're reading it, you must be here for a reason.:p

I'm not gonna lie part of the reason I keep coming here is for the Alternative writing styles and exercises in Pure worldbuilding. Other than Watchmen and Stephen Kings Carrie I cant think of any piece of fiction that includes extensive in universe newspapers, scientific texts, and meta fiction.

I hope I didn't come off wrong there--I didn't mean "jarring" in a bad way. It's "jarring" in comparison to what one might usually find on this site, which is by no means a bad thing.

Not at all, I hope my response didn't come off wrong either.

I'm not gonna lie part of the reason I keep coming here is for the Alternative writing styles and exercises in Pure worldbuilding. Other than Watchmen and Stephen Kings Carrie I cant think of any piece of fiction that includes extensive in universe newspapers, scientific texts, and meta fiction.

It's nice to read, but a headache to make.

Harry Potter has quite a few articles from various wizarding publications, if I recall correctly.

That was certainly a horrifying and heartbreaking last update. Unfortunately, with no help from the US/Grand Alliance, it also wasn’t a surprise.

To echo what others have said, Perdue’s reputation will likely worsen, if and when Drakia emerges for most Americans as a true existential threat.

I’m assuming that the recent war and rebellion is being spun by Aurica for the Drakians as a glorious, divine victory over the perfidious Yankee Machine State (never mind that Drakia wasn’t facing a committed and fully mobilized USA/Grand Alliance). This seems to be what this timeline is building towards. I only hope the outcome isn’t the same or worse than in the original story.

-

It seems we’re being set up for this world’s version of the Eurasian War, possibly featuring a revanchist/expansionist Drakian-Russian alliance of convenience, other European powers willing to challenge the US-led world order, and a Japanese Empire planning to put an end to US influence in Asia and the Pacific.

So far this timeline has done a good job of paralleling the original Drakaverse timeline without copying it. Given that in the original story the Japanese were able to extend their reach at one point to parts of Central America, I wonder if the continuing violent unrest in that region will factor at all in the Great Pacific War.

-

I also can’t help but wonder what Arthur Klein’s fate will be in the Country of the Dragon (this isn’t unlike if, say, Admiral Yamamoto had defected to the US after the Pearl Harbor attack). Will the Drakians pump him for information before a show trial/execution? Will Stoker hold a triumph featuring a Klein newly “converted” to Drakia’s state faith and worldview? Or does Klein have something else entirely planned?

Last edited:
I'm wondering: in the vanilla Draka series, the Citizens make sure to treat their serfs very kindly unless they revolt, and the serfs in turn have a lot of Happiness in Slavery (barring the ones who were recently enserfed). What do citizen-serf relations look like ITTL?

I'm wondering: in the vanilla Draka series, the Citizens make sure to treat their serfs very kindly unless they revolt, and the serfs in turn have a lot of Happiness in Slavery (barring the ones who were recently enserfed). What do citizen-serf relations look like ITTL?

Definitely not like that.
Jesus is that really in the original books? I thought the entire point of the Draka series was to make a non-nazi evil faction for Alternate History.

Definitely not like that.
Jesus is that really in the original books? I thought the entire point of the Draka series was to make a non-nazi evil faction for Alternate History.

I mean when the serfs try rebelling they impale them.

The point was that the Draka aren't evil for the sake of being evil, but they're also very pragmatic, and know when not to be evil as well as being unhinged psychos. It honestly comes off as even more disturbing than "evil slavers who abuse them every waking hour".

Last edited:
I also can’t help but wonder what Arthur Klein’s fate will be in the Country of the Dragon (this isn’t unlike if, say, Admiral Yamamoto had defected to the US after the Pearl Harbor attack). Will the Drakians pump him for information before a show trial/execution? Will Stoker hold a triumph featuring a Klein newly “converted” to Drakia’s state faith and worldview? Or does Klein have something else entirely planned?

It is a rather interesting situation and does provide Drakians quite few options depending how they choose to use him. I feel that although he obviously isn't liked in Drakia, at least keeping him alive might be beneficial, if for nothing else than just showing how merciful Drakians are towards their enemies. It's not like you will have rows of Americans defecting to Drakia but it still might be useful not to treat him too badly. He will probably tell quite willingly everything he knows about American secrets and do anything Drakians ask from him anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.