Status
Not open for further replies.
Stars and Sharks
George Lucas' Apartment, Los Angeles, CA
July 25, 1974

George Lucas was so mad, he might have been seeing red. He was working hard on the drafts and revisions and ideas for Project Starlight (now renamed The Star Wars), but with all of this new information coming out about President Nixon and Watergate and Vietnam--well, he'd gotten a little sidetracked. This space odyssey of his was getting pretty influenced by the events of the times, specifically how democracies can fall so easily to tyrants.

Right now, The Star Wars was in its first rough draft, after consisting of pages upon pages upon pages of science-fantasy jargon. The protagonist, at this point, was undefined, a phantom figure with the title of Jedi Master and a son. But the other major characters were getting somewhere, like Annikin Starkiller, either an imperial general or a preteen boy (he hadn't decided yet), Han Solo, a fish-like green Corellian smuggler, and Solo's pal Chewbacca, a hairy beast inspired by Lucas' own dog, Indiana. None of this was final, of course. More research in the science-fiction genre would be needed, and Lucas still wanted some form of a Flash Gordon-esque character to appear somehow.

When Lucas needed a break from all the political hubbub of the outside world and the insanity inside his own new universe, he took a break to work out more of his other, pet project, The Adventures of Indiana Smith. It had since become an amalgamation of World War Two and treasure hunting, with Nazis appearing as the somewhat-incompetent antagonists. As for what Indiana Smith would be hunting for... well, there was a lot of thought being put into that. Lucas was considering something religious at first, like the Ark of the Covenant or the Holy Grail, but legendary artifacts like Excalibur or the legendary Greek shield Aegis or even mythological places like the Library of Alexandria or Atlantis piqued his interest. The latter two were suggestions from Walt, who would from time to time pop in on Lucas and make a few suggestions on either of his scripts. While most of the ones for The Star Wars went unheeded, Indiana Smith was receiving quite the overhaul from him, having even suggested the name change from "Smith" to "Jones" ("It just has a better ring to it," Walt had said).

Throwing his newspaper aside (which blared headlines in big block text about the latest in Watergate and the Nixon scandals), George Lucas put his head in his hands for a second, to collect himself. He needed to get his mind off things somehow... maybe he should call someone. Anyone really. Just talk to them. Picking up his Rolodex and flipping through it to the "S" section, he found just who he was looking for: an old pal from college.

--------------------------------
Menemsha, Martha's Vineyard, MA
July 25, 1974

Steven Spielberg was so mad, he might have been seeing red. He'd been struggling with this damned animatronic shark for the past two months, and nothing seemed to be going his way. So when his phone rang, he was more than happy to pick it up.

"Hello. Steven Spielberg speaking. How can I help you?" he asked into the mouthpiece.

"Hey, Steven. It's me, George."

"George? George Lucas?" Spielberg asked.

"The one and only," replied Lucas.

"The legendary director of American Graffiti? The greatest filmmaker to grace the planet Earth?"

"Oh, shut up. We all know for a fact you're a much better director. Speaking of which... how goes wrangling ol' Brucie up north?"

"You mean the biggest piece of shit excuse for a shark the world's ever seen? It's going terribly. The main fish got too waterlogged again and we had to stop shooting for the day," complained Spielberg.

"I talked to Dreyfuss the other day. Said you guys had an incident a week or two ago with the other sharks, and they fell into deep water?" asked Lucas, stifling a chuckle.

"Yeah. And it took another ten hours to get 'em back up and out of the water. I swear to God, this picture will be the death of me, my career, or both."

The pair talked for hours all through the night, Lucas bouncing ideas for The Star Wars and Indiana off his pal and offering solutions to Spielberg's Jaws problems. Finally, Spielberg had to sign off to get some rest. As he fell asleep, visions of mechanical sharks and Sith Lords and Nazis swam before his eyes, taunting him until he finally drifted off.

Last edited:
Hope Jaws the movie is largely the same as OTL; the book had numerous subplots that were removed from the movie (like Mayor Vaughn being under pressure from the mob as the reason for his not closing the beaches (no, really) and the martial angst of Ellen Brody and her subsequent affair with Matt Hooper (1) (yes, really; frankly, Benchley might have complained, but Spielberg, whatever you can say about him, was right to alter the book for the movie--it made the movie one of the few that is better than the book), to the movie's benefit, IMO...

(1) BTW, Hooper dies in the book; he survives in the movie, although he didn't have an affair with Ellen Brody in the movie (and is overall much more likeable in the movie). However, he was going to die in the movie but, while they were shooting footage with actual sharks and a miniature cage and diver in Australia, they got that great take of the shark rolling on top of an empty cage (the diver had fled), so Hooper lived...

Last edited:
Didn't Spielberg just replace the mob with local businesses putting pressure on him to keep it open?

Yes, he did, and it was much more believable than the mob angle of the book (one of the many things that Spielberg changed for the movie, which improved it); plus, the fact that they caught the tiger shark invited them to feel like they had caught the man-eater, leading to disaster later in the film...

Yes, he did, and it was much more believable than the mob angle of the book (one of the many things that Spielberg changed for the movie, which improved it); plus, the fact that they caught the tiger shark invited them to feel like they had caught the man-eater, leading to disaster later in the film...
Yeah can't disagree with that. Though personally I liked Quints book death better then the movie one.

Hope Jaws the movie is largely the same as OTL; the book had numerous subplots that were removed from the movie (like Mayor Vaughn being under pressure from the mob as the reason for his not closing the beaches (no, really) and the martial angst of Ellen Brody and her subsequent affair with Matt Hooper (1) (yes, really; frankly, Benchley might have complained, but Spielberg, whatever you can say about him, was right to alter the book for the movie--it made the movie one of the few that is better than the book), to the movie's benefit, IMO...

JAWS will be virtually untouched by butterflies.

Yeah can't disagree with that. Though personally I liked Quints book death better then the movie one.

What? In the book Quint dies in the most lame way possible--he's drowned by accident--but in the movie he goes down like a true badass, bitten in half by a shark that had to leap onto the ship to get him. Much more befitting of his character, IMO.

As long as it keeps the USS Indianapolis monologue by Quint's character (Robert Shaw did that well)…

BTW, I have some ideas for the sequel for Jaws and would like to PM you, if you don't mind...

JAWS will be virtually untouched by butterflies.

What? In the book Quint dies in the most lame way possible--he's drowned by accident--but in the movie he goes down like a true badass, bitten in half by a shark that had to leap onto the ship to get him. Much more befitting of his character, IMO.
I liked it because think about it what's Quint but an Ahab expy? I would've like the movie ending better if Quint actually knifed the shark in the eye contributing to its death. Otherwise it's to shock value for me.

A Late-Night Discussion
Walt Disney's Office, Burbank, CA
August 2, 1974

Walt Disney's office was filled to the brim with some of the most imaginative minds the world had ever seen. Including himself and his brother Roy, almost a dozen Disney creators sat strewn about the place. Marc Davis, Claude Coats, Rolly Crump, Tony Baxter, Don Bluth, John Hench, Mary Blair, Bob Gurr, X Atencio, Yale Gracey, and even George Lucas, who'd dropped by to update Walt on The Star Wars and Indiana Jones and was now sticking around for this, were all talking aimlessly.

Walt stood to his feet. "Alright everybody, quiet down."

The group seemed to roar louder. They all buzzed with excitement for the prospects of just what Walt could have called them all together for.

"People--"

No response.

"I said, quiet down!" he shouted.

That did the trick, and silence fell. Walt picked up the telescoping metal pointer before him on his desk and sighed. This was it. "Gentlemen--"

Mary Blair cleared her throat.

"--and lady, I suppose. We are here tonight to discuss our greatest leap forwards yet in the worlds of our wildest dreams: the EPCOT Center. It's the place dedicated to what humanity has done, is doing, can do, and how we're doing it differently, and something like that must be done right. This--" Walt gestured with his pointer to the large image to the right of him "--is our groundwork."

The picture was an aerial view of the EPCOT Center, drawn by John Hench, who was also coincidentally in that room. It looked quite similar to the original aerial view concepts of E.P.C.O.T., resembling a human eye. While what would have been the pupil and white of the eye were land, the iris was water, with two slightly tapering canals jutting out along the horizontal diameter. The bottom half was labeled "Progressland," the top half "World Showcase," and the middle just simply "The Nucleus." Both halves were divided up into many separate segments as well.

"The EPCOT Center is effectively a permanent World's Fair. The southern area, Progressland, represents just how much the human race has accomplished in all history. The north, the World Showcase, is all focused on planet Earth's human cultures. Each zone is divided into various quadrants called 'pavilions.'"

He pointed to Progressland, and swept around the semicircle. "These pavilions here are somewhat mapped out already, themed to Time, Space, the Land, Sea, and Sky, Transportation, and Health. They'll be sponsored by major companies, representing their constant innovations to improve."

With a flourish, Walt then pointed up top, to highlight the World Showcase. "And these are inspired by the unique cultures and exotic locales seen the world over. Currently, I've planned pavilions for the U.S., Japan, Brazil, Italy, Germany, Mexico, Norway, and Egypt. Each pavilion in both halves of the park will act as a miniature themed land, with a single high-quality attraction in each."

"What about the middle? The... Nucleus, you called it?" asked Baxter from his spot at the back of the room.

"Right. The Nucleus is the resort center of EPCOT. It features what I think could become the icon of the park, the Eclipse Tower, a massive hotel that'll be the tallest building in the state, with amazing restaurants and rooms and top-of-the-line technology throughout. It'll have a loop of walkway surrounding the whole Nucleus, with two entrances from either park half, that guests can traverse to get from the south to the north and vice versa, as opposed to the two on the far ends over the canals. Guests who are staying at the Eclipse can enter via a special entrance from the guest walkway around it, or ferrys across the water from outside the park," added Walt.

People nodded in agreement. "I like it," announced Roy. "It will cost a fraction of the price as the original Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow as well, and be sure to draw thousands of guests."

"So, how long do we have?" asked Crump, crossing his arms. "To build it, I mean."

"I want it designed in a year, and built in another. We're shooting for a '76 opening, preferably in May. That means any and all other projects for the parks are, for the time being, shelved. Marc, when I walk into your office, I don't want to see anything Pirates related for the Magic Kingdom. Tony, none of that 'Discovery Bay' stuff. All of WED is working double-time for the foreseeable future. So let's go! Let's do this!"

The Imagineers let out a cheer, and quickly filed out the door. Lucas was about to check out as well... only to be stopped by Walt placing a hand on his shoulder.

"Come with me, George. There's something I want to talk to you about."

"The EPCOT Center was Imagineering's second make-or-break moment. Sure, opening three major, culturally defining theme parks is no small feat, but they were all variations on a theme. EPCOT was different. This was where the team would prove they could design anything. If they could dream it, they could do it."
-- Tony Baxter, from the book That Distant Horizon: The Story of Walt Disney Imagineering

Suddenly worried, Lucas turned and followed Walt back into the office. Had he done something wrong? Was he not supposed to have stuck around for a WED meeting? Had Walt had second thoughts on his movie concepts, and was cutting him off?

"George... I haven't known you all that long. It's only been a little while. But I can see that you are an extremely imaginative fellow. Some of that stuff you've written about The Star Wars... I don't know if I could've come up with it myself in a million years. Which is why I want to offer you something. A proposition, if you will."

Listening intently, Lucas nodded.

"If you... ever find being a screenwriter or director to be too tiresome, or too boring... there's always a spot open here at WED," stated Walt, folding his hands on the desk.

"You--really? Really? A spot open for me?" Lucas gasped in utter disbelief.

"Yes, really. You have some great potential as an Imagineer. I don't think I've seen a more obvious candidate since Tony Baxter walked through those doors."

"...Walt, as amazing as that sounds... I can't do it just yet. I have way too many ideas bouncing around in my head for movies that I can't just abandon them. Maybe after The Star Wars and Indiana have run their course, but not now," sighed Lucas.

"It's alright. I understand. Just keep that in mind."

He got up, and walked toward the doorway, throwing a hasty "goodbye" over his shoulder.

"And remember, George, my door is always open!"

George Lucas left the office.

Last edited:
My lips are sealed on anything Nintendo related, with very good reason...
At this point nintendo is into electro mechanical arcades, far earlier tv color 6 and future discrete board arcades, still dunno , not Even Miyamoto is on the company yet

At this point nintendo is into electro mechanical arcades, far earlier tv color 6 and future discrete board arcades, still dunno , not Even Miyamoto is on the company yet

Things at Nintendo will progress as normal until the early- to mid-1980s. Then the butterflies will hit.

Also, as a totally off-topic side note Nivek, I absolutely love you and RySenkari's Player Two Start/Massively Multiplayer TL.

Things at Nintendo will progress as normal until the early- to mid-1980s. Then the butterflies will hit.

Also, as a totally off-topic side note Nivek, I absolutely love you and RySenkari's Player Two Start/Massively Multiplayer TL.
Yeah Even them, butterflies would affect nintendo, if too much competition they would return to the idea of the microcomputer( that is why was named famicom) rather pure videogame console, still too early thanks.

Thanks you love the Masterpiece rysenkari and I wrote together thanks

Yeah Even them, butterflies would affect nintendo, if too much competition they would return to the idea of the microcomputer( that is why was named famicom) rather pure videogame console, still too early thanks.

Thanks you love the Masterpiece rysenkari and I wrote together thanks

I mean, with what I have planned I don't think much will change in the arcades. After that, things will definitely be going crazy, but rest assured Donkey Kong, at the very least, will be appearing.

That interaction between Walt and Lucas is giving me a theory. I want to wait until Starwars happens and the aftermath of thay along with how the relation of those two get along before I call anything.

A M*A*S*H Retrospective
M*A*S*H: Remembering the 4077th's Reign as the Best Show on Television

M*A*S*H is the kind of show that only comes around once in a lifetime. Its seamless blend of over-the-top humor and serious topics like that of war is what sets it apart, able to have its audience rolling on the floor laughing one instant and questioning morality the next. The show makes a point to never use a laugh track when the characters are in the operating room, although jokes are spewed just as often in there as outside. M*A*S*H is a truly unique specimen, one yet to be matched on the little screen.

Perhaps it was its phenomenal cast of characters that made it this way. The duo of Benjamin "Hawkeye" Pierce (Alan Alda) and John "Trapper" McIntyer (Wayne Rogers) are frequently listed alongside such great comedic pairs as Lucille Ball and Vivian Vance or Budd Abbot and Lou Costello. Though the first two-and-a-half seasons are mostly dominated by Alda's Hawkeye, Rogers started to become disgruntled at the notion (having been promised when he signed on that Hawkeye and Trapper would be equals) and threatened leaving the show if something wasn't done soon. The remaining half of Season Three has been dubbed "The Trapper Adventures" by fans, as it heavily focuses on Roger's Trapper and fleshes him out, while Hawkeye is comparatively missing. From Season Four onwards, the two would truly become partners in crime, so much so that after the show ended, it would be impossible to cast either Alda or Rodgers and not the other in whatever project they went to next.

Of course, while Hawkeye and Trapper carried the show, they wouldn't be anything without good side characters. Another bragging right of M*A*S*H is how it kept its cast together for its entire duration. Not a single major supporting character left during production, with the sole exception of Corporal Klinger (Jamie Farr), written out of the show in a heartfelt goodbye at the end of Season Seven. In the episode, the character finally gets his claim of insanity recognized, and was discharged and sent back home.

Overall, the show won six consecutive Emmy's as the Best Show on TV throughout its nine seasons, and both Alda and Rogers won Golden Globes for their performances. In "TV Guide's 50 Greatest TV Shows of All Time," M*A*S*H came in at number ten.

Posted by Nick Morrell, 5/25/08 12:00am
©
2008 theholodeck.com

War isn't Hell. War is war, and Hell is Hell. And of the two, war is a lot worse.

How do you figure, Hawkeye?

Easy, Father. Tell me, who goes to Hell?

Sinners, I believe.

Exactly. There are no innocent bystanders in Hell. War is chock full of them--little kids, cripples, old ladies. In fact, except for some of the brass, almost everybody involved is an innocent bystander.
--An exchange between Hawkeye Pierce and Father Mulcahy, in Season 5, Episode 11: War is Hell

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.