WI: The Enterprise completes its five year mission (Star Trek survives for 5 seasons)

Who should be captain of the Enterprise-D in this timeline's TNG?

• Patrick Stewart (same as OTL)

Votes: 50 68.5%
  • Patrick Bauchau

Votes: 6 8.2%
  • Yaphet Kotto

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • Rutger Hauer

Votes: 11 15.1%
  • Someone else (specify who in the comments)

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I would give SI another season, but kill after that when TNG is ready.

For TNG I would have Roddenberry gather his 'old team' and they get on with it. Berman comes in from the Studio and he finds out what going on with Leonard Maizlish (Gene's Lawyer) who basically took over the production and drove loads of production and writing staff away, except ITTL Berman will not stand for it and Maizlish is banned from the studio. The legal wrangles with Roddenberry actually manage to delay TNG, hence SI getting the extra season while TNG is sorted.

The years delay however is for the good of TNG as the writers flesh out the characters more and sort out more 'TNG' aimed scripts than rehashing TOS or SI ones. They are not unused to writing Trek- its been on the air for years at this point, but 'adjusting' to TNG era and characters takes some time- which they got from the 'Maizlish Affair'.

TNG launches with OTL S2/3 level quality scripts in 1988.

I'd keep Encounter at Farpoint, The Battle, Conspiracy, 11001001 and a rewritten Neutral Zone. Rest of S1 I am meh on.

Last edited:
Close vote right now...

A lot of my efforts on AH recently have been on the Russia/Ukraine war thread, specifically posting the daily ISW report...

Unless there are some serious no votes, it looks like we're going to have Intelligence go to 1988 and TNG either premiere in 1987 (meaning two Trek shows on in 1987) or 1988

ITTL most the re-used Trek Phase II scripts that became S1/2 have been used up already, plus TNG will be starting with a crew of people who know how to make Star Trek rather than coming back after a long break like OTL.

Plus I doubt Roddenberry’s lawyer Maiklish will have the access/control he did OTL- which leads to a lot less churn of writers/composers etc, plus the writers strike might not happen, etc.

This TNG will be stronger, and more cohesive out of the gate.

Another idea - have George R.R. Martin hired as part of the writing staff. They turned him down OTL. Then move him to DS9 when it's in preproduction.

Last edited:
I really don't mind when TNG premieres ITTL, so long as "Code of Honor" is never made!

Half of TNG season 1 (and probably half of Season 2) is getting deep sixed ITTL
i have started rewatching TNG, and i remembered the first seasons being not too good, but on rewatching i am cringing, that bas is it.
i hear some people do not like ENT or VOY, but even the first VOY season is better than TNG, and 1st season of ENT is extremely high quality compared to the utter junk the 1st season of TNG is.
There are a few good episodes, but most is very very bad. so moving it might not be too bad

Another idea - have George R.R. Martin hired as part of the writing staff. They turned him down OTL. Then move him to DS9 when it's in preproduction.
Martin and roddenberry are guaranteed to get into arguments - ego clashing - it will be epic!

and honestly, i rather see Martin's 'Doorways' serialised on tv.
and about DS9 - Babylon 5 rulez !!!! (it is where it was copied from anyways)

Last edited:
Thing people have to remember about TNG S1/2 is that its only bad in retrospect. When it was on it was 'gold' cos it was the only Star Trek we had had on TV for XXX years. Sure, some of it was not well received like Code of Honour or the Irish-stereotype one, but some it was great or even brilliant like 1100110011 or Measure of a Man.

It was only as TNG went on, the writing/production teams stabilised and the actors got comfortable from S3 onwards that TNG really got good compared to earlier stuff, and once you know about the drama behind the scenes it is amazing the TNG we got was as good as was.

ITTL most of the problems with TNG's early years are gone. Unless Roddenberry is so stupid as to sack everyone involved with Starfleet Intelligence and start again (and I don't think the studio would let him) then @dsp19 can start TNG with S3 levels of writing. Sure, the characters/actors will still need time to bed in but the production and writers are already in place for a TV show.

I do still hope dsp19 will change up some of the cast considering some of the folk who might have been in the show.

Star Trek – 1969 to 1971 – 5 seasons

In Thy Image - 1972 – TV movie

Animated Series - 1974 -1976 – 2 seasons

The Motion Picture - 1978

Reliant - 1980 – 1981 – 1 season

The Wrath of Khan - 1981

Starfleet Intelligence - 1982 – 198? – x seasons?

The Search for Spock -1984

Star Trek IV – 198?

Current year: 1985

So much Star Trek ITTL. I need a D-Hopper so I can pop over and watch all this Trek.

The Wrath of Khan - 1981

Star Trek IV – 198?

So much Star Trek ITTL. I need a D-Hopper so I can pop over and watch all this Trek.
I might throw down an update this weekend. I’ve got some time on my hands for the first time in ages. I just have to remember where I left off.

Star Trek IV will be in 1986 just like IRL, but V might be in 1988 instead of 1989

I might throw down an update this weekend. I’ve got some time on my hands for the first time in ages. I just have to remember where I left off.
You left off in November 1985, the month Paramount announced a deal with Lorimar, but your last update was a biography exposition dump about Karlax the Klingon.

Next update will likely be Red Storm Rising written earlier than OTL, Star Trek IV starts shooting in San Francisco, Dallas gets a movie deal for a 1988 release (meaning the series ends in 1987), a political update and Starfleet Intelligence episodes

You left off in November 1985, the month Paramount announced a deal with Lorimar, but your last update was a biography exposition dump about Karlax the Klingon.
Karlax should be a character on a new Trek series if they decide to do a spy show. But if someone borrows from me, I want to get paid LOL

Karlax should be a character on a new Trek series if they decide to do a spy show. But if someone borrows from me, I want to get paid LOL
I was only mentioning that as a reminder to both you and the audience.

But on the subject at hand, I also want you to get paid for your ideas, since they are really good ideas of yours.

The Wrath of Khan - 1981

Star Trek IV – 198?

5 seasons of TOS (1966-1971)
In Thy Image (1972 TV movie)
TAS (1974-1976) 3 seasons
TMP (1978)
Planet of the Titans (1980)
Reliant (1980-1981)
TWOK (1981)
Starfleet Intelligence (1982-1988, most likely)
Search for Spock (1984)
Voyage Home (1986)
TNG (1987 or 1988 premiere)