Why the Chinese play cricket (The Pax Imperialis)

Regarding Portugal, the UK did have long ties going back with the country, and in the Original Timeline (as late as at least the 1940's) it was referred to as 'Britain's oldest ally' (or words to that effect) and with a hundreds of year old treaty (the Anglo-Portugese treaty of 1373, according to wikipedia - don't have time to double-check that at the moment, but it seems to fit with roughly what I remember) being cited in UK parliamentary debates.
I'm not sure though what, if anything, the UK is obliged to do in the event of a civil war in Portugal; I don't think I've come across any indication that Portugal was required to intervene in the English Civil Wars of the 17th century (although with the qualifier that just because I haven't heard of it, it still might have happened, I suppose), and it may be that any obligation is only to take sides (or at least maintain neutrality) against external enemies.

With the Portuguese civil war i could understand the British supporting the republicans, but i could see them supporting the monarchists more. Especially as their family as well as old allies. If the Germans and the British could force the two sides to sit down, or at least use it as a dumping ground for surplus supplies to either side, probaly alot of double dealing going on, then they could both snap off parts of the Portugese colonial empire, maybe even the British supporting a Portuguese republic, but if some of the colonies go to the monarchist to form both the mainland portugal and the exiled portuguese under their influence rather than German.

With the Portuguese civil war i could understand the British supporting the republicans, but i could see them supporting the monarchists more. Especially as their family as well as old allies. If the Germans and the British could force the two sides to sit down, or at least use it as a dumping ground for surplus supplies to either side, probaly alot of double dealing going on, then they could both snap off parts of the Portugese colonial empire, maybe even the British supporting a Portuguese republic, but if some of the colonies go to the monarchist to form both the mainland portugal and the exiled portuguese under their influence rather than German.

The Portuguese Civil War is complicated by the fact the former king, Manuel is not backing the monarchists. He was very much against violent means to restore the throne. The monarchists are trying to put the Duke of Braganza on the throne, not Manuel. This is why the British are backing the republicans. However with the outbreak of the Great War, German support may fall off. Depends on a lot of factors.

Last edited:
Okay confident enough to go for a first draft of 1913. I've changed the Balkans campaign, added in the naval and colonial campaigns. Then, just to make things interesting, added some slow left-handed spin balls.

Last edited:

Driftless

Donor
July 1913: The Japanese agree to allow French warships to be based at Port Arthur, blockading Tsingtao.
October 1913: The German East Asia Squadron under Admiral Maximilian von Spee defeats the French Eastern Squadron under Admiral Dominique-Marie Gauchet in the Battle of Shandong Peninsula. The battle breaks the blockade of Tsingtao.
Both those events are a twist with immediate impact on the war and potentially big diplomatic fallout in the future

August 1913: Germany and France both place large orders in Britain for weapons and military hardware. The purchases include setting up new production facilities
Oooh, another twist... What's the shopping lists?

August 1913: French colonial troops invade Togoland and Kamerun.
Historically, both fell to combined British and French forces - Togoland in a walk-over, Kamerun with a lengthier campaign. The British may have some opinions on long term ownership.....

September 1913: French submarines begin attacks on German shipping in the North Sea. The Germans quickly follow suit. Both the British and US demand international prize law be respected by all combatants.
This could get ugly soon...

I did have plans for TTL but it seems to be developing a mind of its own. The Japanese are making a play for China and this will bring them into conflict with the British. The Germans and French are both treating the UK like the US was treated in the OTL, a very handy and much closer production facility. How long this lasts remains to be seen. Things being ordered are small arms, artillery, rolling stock, vehicles and the like.

I did have plans for TTL but it seems to be developing a mind of its own. The Japanese are making a play for China and this will bring them into conflict with the British. The Germans and French are both treating the UK like the US was treated in the OTL, a very handy and much closer production facility. How long this lasts remains to be seen. Things being ordered are small arms, artillery, rolling stock, vehicles and the like.
Having tried to write a Harry Potter fanfiction where Hermione was supposed to go into Slytherin, but the Sorting Hat simply refused to place the version of Hermione it was presented with there, when I actually came to her sorting, I know that 'plans going up in smoke' feeling.
One can either bring in a heavy handed deus ex machina or shrug and try to find out where the unexpected direction goes (and it may be more interesting than what was originally planned).

Having tried to write a Harry Potter fanfiction where Hermione was supposed to go into Slytherin, but the Sorting Hat simply refused to place the version of Hermione it was presented with there, when I actually came to her sorting, I know that 'plans going up in smoke' feeling.
One can either bring in a heavy handed deus ex machina or shrug and try to find out where the unexpected direction goes (and it may be more interesting than what was originally planned).

I'm planning on seeing where it ends up, far more interesting.

Driftless

Donor

Given the war is starting over a year earlier, some battlefield technology is going to be less developed - in some cases quite a bit less developed. i.e. Historically, 1913 airplane technology was pretty rudimentary. Igor Sikorsky may have had the most advanced planes with his jumbo four engine Ilya Muromets & Russky Vitaz. Automotive technology wouldn't be quite to the level of a year later either. Still, as it worked out historically, the war promoted much experimentation along several avenues.

Don't you hate it when you realise you've forgotten something.

October 1909: The Cape to Cairo railway is finally completed with the commissioning of five rail ferries on Lake Tanganyika. The railway greatly improves communications in British Africa, acting as a spur to further development.

April 1911: The British commission two gunboats to protect the rail ferries on Lake Tanganyika.

Last edited:
Don't you hate it when you realise you've forgotten something.

October 1909: The Cape to Cairo railway is finally completed with the commissioning of five rail ferries on Lake Tanganyika. The railway greatly improves communications in British Africa, acting as a spur to further development.

April 1911: The British commission two gunboats to protect the rail ferries on Lake Tanganyika.

Well I hope they are named HMS Mimi And HMS Tautou :) ?

Due to the sheer complexity of the Great War, I'm breaking up each year to make them more readable. I'm also taking the opportunity to add more detail. I've also deleted the first version of 1913 since it's simply to big to be readable.

1913a
~January to June 1913: A broken spring

January 1913: Yao Chinese forces under Cai E attempt to drive the Qing from Jiangxi province. The initial attack is successful, forcing the Qing to fall back to Nanchung.

January 1913: After having failed to find a market in his native US, Colonel Isaac Lewis enters an agreement to being production of his light machine gun in Britain.

February 1913: To counter German support of the Portuguese Monarchists, the British begin supplying the Republican faction.

February 1913: Crown Prince Constantine of Greece is appointed Chief of Staff of the Greek army.

February 1913: The first 42cm seige howitzer is delivered to the German army. The second will become operational in May.

March 1913: The Balkans League, with Russian backing, begins preparing for a war with the Ottoman Empire.

March 1913: With the troop trials having proved successful, the British formally adopt the Pattern 13 as the Enfield rifle. However as problems remain with the high powered 0.276" round, it is decided to delay it's introduction until 1914 to allow the issues to eliminated, though production tooling is prepared at Vickers and the Royal Small Arms Factory in Enfield.

April 1913: Germany and Austria-Hungary begin to pressure the Balkan League to avert their invasion of the Ottoman's European territory.

April 1913: The Balkans League mobilises for an attack on the Ottomans. Austria-Hungary and Germany respond threatening intervention if the attack goes ahead.

April 1913: The Yao drive into Jiangxi province is halted at the Battle of Royang Hu.

April 1913: Despite strong opposition, US President Roosevelt gains Congressional approval to construct two battlecruisers, two battleships and six cruisers. However due to limits imposed by congress, the Abraham Lincoln class battlecruisers are limited to 26,000 tons and the Pennsylvania class battleships to 24,000 tons. As a result, both are armed with eight 14" guns and their armour is reduced, 12" for the battleships and 6" for the battlecruisers. The battlecruisers are capable of 27 knots and the battleships 21 knots. The cruisers are limited to 4,000 tons, armed with five 6" guns, 3" of armour and capable of 27 knots.

May 1913: An All Empire team tours the US in conjunction with a state visit by King George in an effort to promote the game there. The tour does inspire an increase in interest in cricket, with a small regular US circuit developing.

May 1913: Russia guarantees support for the Balkans League in the event of Great Power intervention in their attack on the Ottomans.

May 1913: President Madero of Mexico is deposed in a US backed coup by General Victoriano Huerta. The violence of the Mexican Revolution quickly resumes as Huerta establishes a brutal dictatorship and the revolutionaries coalesce around Venustiano Carranza.

May 1913: Using the ongoing revolt in Albania as a pretext, the Balkans League declares war on the Ottoman Empire. Austria-Hungary and Germany issue an ultimatum giving the League nations one week to withdraw from Ottoman territory.

May 1913: The poorly deployed Ottoman army begins to fall back in the face of the concerted Balkans League attack.

May 1913: Russia orders a general mobilisation to support the Balkans League. This triggers Austria-Hungary and Germany to mobilise, which in turn forces the French to mobilise.

May 1913: The Ottomans close the Turkish Straits.

May 1913: The Serbia and Bulgaria begin moving troops from the facing the to face a potential Austro-Hungarian attack. This allows the Ottomans a respite to form a defensive line.

May 1913: Austria-Hungary declares war on the Balkan League nations. The war rapidly spreads with France, Germany and Russia all entering within a few days. The British cabinet meets to discuss the growing crisis. After fierce debate, the cabinet issues a demand all parties respect Belgium neutrality.

June 1913: Belgium rejects a German demand to allow their troops free passage across the country. Germany invades the next day, a few hours later French troops enter the country to counter this without consulting the Belgium government. The British government strongly protests, demanding both France and Germany immediately withdraw. Both refuse, stating they will withdraw when the other does. The cabinet debates entering the war but decides to delay any decision until the Dominion leaders can be consulted at the Cardiff Imperial Conference scheduled for July.

June 1913: Germany besieges the fortresses of Leige and Namur while the Belgium government grudgingly accepts the French moves as support. German heavy artillery rapidly destroys the fortresses.

June 1913: The Austro-Hungarians launch an offensive into Russian Poland.

June 1913: French troops begin occupying German colonial possessions in the Pacific.

June 1913: The British demand all parties respect the freedom of navigation, especially in the English Channel. The Royal Navy begins neutrality patrols in the Channel and North Sea.

June 1913: The US declares its neutrality in the European war.

June 1913: Germany demands the Danes mine the Danish Straits to close off access to the Baltic. Despite treaty obligations not to close access to the Danish Straits, the Danes agree after consulting the neutral powers.

June 1913: The German High Seas Fleet begins shelling the Belgium coast.

June 1913: Russian troops enter East Prussia. The Germans fall back in the face of the Russians

June 1913: German surface raiders begin attacking French merchant shipping.

June 1913: Acting on his own initiative, General Maximilian von Prittwitz commanding German Eighth Army orders a counter attack against the advancing Russians. Attempting to destroy the Russian First and Second Armies in detail, he is caught in the flank by the Second Army under General Aleksei Brusilov and his army destroyed. Von Prittwitz orders a general retreat in the face of the Russians.

Last edited:
One change regarding the belgoum siruation is that who will be in charge following the war and how will the british react. Cos i cant see france or germany actually respecting the pre war arrangements of belgium when they could install their faction support on it

The British so far here will be making a lot of money making munitions for both sides in the conflict.

Why order from the US on the other side of the Atlantic ocean when you can order from the Brutish, who already have the production base, a few hundred kilometres away?

Last edited: