White Star and Titanic, What Could have Been

Status
Not open for further replies.

Archibald

Banned
They are new pictures that were recently discovered. Only to fuel a new stupid conspiracy history on the History Channel (or was the Discovery channel I don't give a fuck about the two). Some idiot pretented to see some kind of lump on the hull he said was related to a boiler fire that weakened Titanic hull before the iceberg...

They are new pictures that were recently discovered. Only to fuel a new stupid conspiracy history on the History Channel (or was the Discovery channel I don't give a fuck about the two). Some idiot pretented to see some kind of lump on the hull he said was related to a boiler fire that weakened Titanic hull before the iceberg...

Language!!! :p

I agree, it was a terrible documentary. They changed several facts to suit the theory.
But the 'live images' were interesting, although their depiction of Titanic's launch was very fast.
I'll put up some more soon.

SsgtC

Banned
I agree, it was a terrible documentary. They changed several facts to suit the theory.
But the 'live images' were interesting, although their depiction of Titanic's launch was very fast.
I'll put up some more soon.

I agree. That entire theory was so outlandish, I'd actually classify it as a mockumentary. It's almost as bad as the switch conspiracy

@Hood1944 Coukd you please cite your sources for those photos?

New pics of Titanic are always exciting.
I agree.
They were found in an attic, an entire album of her during launch, late construction and leaving for sea trials.
images (49).jpg

C_4_articolo_2139442__ImageGallery__imageGalleryItem_1_image.jpg

Honestly, we ought to post a few Ken Marschall paintings as well here to add some color
Bit of colour?
titanik-foto-ap.jpg

SsgtC

Banned
"Andrews had said the ship would take between 2 and 4 hours to sink"
My.arse.

Exactly. It has been well documented that Andrews thought she'd sink in an hour. Two at the absolute most. Instead, she took nearly 3 hours to sink. I still can't believe that the crew didn't even attempt damage control after the collision.

Exactly. It has been well documented that Andrews thought she'd sink in an hour. Two at the absolute most. Instead, she took nearly 3 hours to sink. I still can't believe that the crew didn't even attempt damage control after the collision.
Indeed.
Well, the way Andrews said it was pretty much, it's sinking, it's sinking fast, get off the damn ship before we all die.
Don't get me started on the damn presenter, over hyping the whole thing. WOW! THIS IS AMAZING! THIS CHANGE EVERYTHING!

They did what they could, I think. Below decks the engineering crew were able to run pumps that probably gave the ship a few extra minutes but could not win the battle against the oncoming water. The vast majority of the crew worked on the engines or in hotel services. Titanic only had 66 crew in the Deck Department, including officers, window cleaners, lamp trimmers, and around 30 seamen and ABs. Those thirty men were the only ones who could possibly have known how to do damage control and the ship had no real equipment for it. They were also the only ones who really knew how to launch lifeboats.

I watched a documentary recently on national geographic I think... It basically said that the Titanic was sunk due to a 'perfect storm' of environmental events that meant the iceberg wasn't seen until it was too late. Their evidence was survivor testomnies and they found proven environmental situations to fit. Quite intresting really.

Lemme see if I can find a name for it.

EDIT: Yes I can. It is called "Titanic's Final Mystery".

Brief overview of the theory is here
http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...ink-because-of-an-optical-illusion-102040309/

The actual documentary goes into more detail and gives the evidence backing it up (From survivors)

Last edited:

SsgtC

Banned
That's a very handsome ship. One question: why's she need two stacks? I'd have thought the powerplant would be aft, like QM2.

More midships. She was designed late 50s/early 60s. Right in that transition period between twin stacks and single stack. White Star decided she had better lines with twin stacks.

I watched a documentary recently on national geographic I think... It basically said that the Titanic was sunk due to a 'perfect storm' of environmental events that meant the iceberg wasn't seen until it was too late. Their evidence was survivor testomnies and they found proven environmental situations to fit. Quite intresting really.

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...ink-because-of-an-optical-illusion-102040309/

The actual documentary goes into more detail and gives the evidence backing it up (From survivors)
I've seen it, & it's fascinating. It also explains why her signal rockets & blinker weren't seen: AIUI, the ship she was signalling was actually over the visual horizon, but thx to the peculiar conditions, seemed to be much closer. And had Titanic sailed even a day earlier or later, she'd never have hit the 'berg...

It appears 1912 was a bad year for freaky weather: the same thing, very unseasonable conditions, doomed Scott's expedition to Antarctica.

Md139115

Banned
I've seen it, & it's fascinating. It also explains why her signal rockets & blinker weren't seen: AIUI, the ship she was signalling was actually over the visual horizon, but thx to the peculiar conditions, seemed to be much closer. And had Titanic sailed even a day earlier or later, she'd never have hit the 'berg...

It appears 1912 was a bad year for freaky weather: the same thing, very unseasonable conditions, doomed Scott's expedition to Antarctica.

Still doesn't excuse all the human errors that piled up to create /aggravate the disaster.

Archibald

Banned

This is mind-blowing. And it was not Californian fault. Just the Murphy Law (once again).

Still doesn't excuse all the human errors that piled up to create /aggravate the disaster.
AIUI, even had the lookouts had binoculars, the freaky conditions meant they'd never have seen the 'berg in time, even if Titanic had been going a lot slower.

AIUI, even had the lookouts had binoculars, the freaky conditions meant they'd never have seen the 'berg in time, even if Titanic had been going a lot slower.
Actually, from what I understand, they didn't issue binoculars to lookouts at night due to them fogging up and stuff. They preferred they use their own eyes as it was much more likely they would see something sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.