White Star and Titanic, What Could have Been

Status
Not open for further replies.
She is. By like a foot. Majestic is 1050', Titanic is 1051.
She's nearly done.
20170822_130826.jpg

Md139115

Banned
As much as I like that sleek forward superstructure, it's almost too modern. Try breaking it up into distinct decks with the bottom one having that graceful flare.

Otherwise, as modern as it looks, there is definitely something Titanicky about it. Good job

As much as I like that sleek forward superstructure, it's almost too modern. Try breaking it up into distinct decks with the bottom one having that graceful flare.

Otherwise, as modern as it looks, there is definitely something Titanicky about it. Good job
It does look very modern, but White Star were always looking to advance their designs as much as possible.

SsgtC

Banned

This was the style in this time period. White Star wouldn't have reverted to an older design. Keep in mind, this isn't a project to make a new Titanic. It's a project to build a new, modern liner in a world where liners are still top dog when it comes to crossing oceans. She needs to look new and modern to draw passengers

This was the style in this time period. White Star wouldn't have reverted to an older design. Keep in mind, this isn't a project to make a new Titanic. It's a project to build a new, modern liner in a world where liners are still top dog when it comes to crossing oceans. She needs to look new and modern to draw passengers
What about the Britannics?
I feel they would be fun to draw.

SsgtC

Banned
What about the Britannics?
I feel they would be fun to draw.
They're similar. But they lack the covered and faired foredeck and they're funnels aren't wedges like Titanic's. They're still raked, but the entire funnel is raked. Think SSUS without the wings. They share a general hull form with Titanic, just about 300' shorter.

They're similar. But they lack the covered and faired foredeck and they're funnels aren't wedges like Titanic's. They're still raked, but the entire funnel is raked. Think SSUS without the wings. They share a general hull form with Titanic, just about 300' shorter.
Ok, I'll try it.

Okay, I sketched this up.
WIP
I put it next to Titanic for contrast.
20170822_173315.jpg

SsgtC

Banned
Yeah, that's basically it. Not as pretty as Titanic, but then again, those ships are designed for routes other than White Star's flagship Southampton to NY service

Yeah, that's basically it. Not as pretty as Titanic, but then again, those ships are designed for routes other than White Star's flagship Southampton to NY service
Exactly.
I might bring up the waterline a hit, the hull looks very tall imao

XII

SsgtC

Banned
A/N: Short update, and sorry for the delay in getting it done. I've got this weekend off, so I'll TRY to get another out over the weekend. Enjoy.

By the beginning of March, 1961, Titanic had completed her fitting out and was taking on board her new crew. This consisted primarily of engineering personnel to acquaint themselves with her new diesel electric propulsion system. A number of these men had transferred from Britannic. White Star was hoping that having these somewhat experienced men on hand would reduce some of the teething problems Britannic had gone through with the switch from steam turbines to diesel.

On March 13th, 1961 RMS Titanic departed Belfast for her sea trials under the command of Captain Frederick G. Watts, Commodore of White Star Line, having transferred command of Majestic to Captain William E. Warwick on March 6th. The sea trials were scheduled to last until the 17th at which point Harland & Wolff would perform any repairs needed, apply one last coat of fresh paint, and officially hand the ship over to White Star no later than March 31st. Fortunately for both Harland & Wolff and White Star, Titanic's sea trials went smoothly. Far better than Britannic's had three years earlier.

This was fortunate for White Star as they had a very intricate dance to perform getting Titanic into service. The plan was to sail Titanic to Southampton with a skeleton crew and have her meet with Laurentic on April 3rd. The majority of her crew would then transfer to Titanic and spend the next week familiarizing themselves with the new ship and preparing her for her maiden voyage. Laurentic's scheduled sailing on the 5th was to be covered by the Britannic, transferred temporarily to the Southampton to NY run.

The reason for retiring Laurentic a week early was due to White Star realizing that Titanic's systems were considerably more advanced than Laurentic's and time would be needed for the crew to become familiar with them. This fact was driven home to them on Britannic during her maiden voyage when the newly transferred crew from Oceanic had trouble with some of the ship's systems. So, building on that, it was determined to give the crew more than just a few days to familiarize themselves with their new vessel.

On April 10th, 1961 RMS Titanic officially joined White Star's fleet as she departed on her maiden voyage. The same day, Laurentic was officially decommissioned from service and sailed to Belfast to be laid up in reserve. Titanic would arrive triumphantly in New York on April 14th, 49 years to the day that her predecessor had had her near fatal collision with an iceberg. Like Britannic before her, she was immensely popular from the day she entered service. Though other lines had their own superliners, White Star's stood head and shoulders above the rest. No other line could compare to the sheer number of ships White Star operated, nor could they compare on the relative opulence and modern amenities offered on their liners. While other lines operated only a handful of ships, White Star sailed the world's oceans with a fleet of over twenty vessels. Offering weekly sailings to New York, Boston, Baltimore, Quebec, Sydney, the Mediterranean, Rio de Janeiro and Buenos Aires. With the introduction of Titanic, they planned to remain in that position for a very long time.

By May, 1962 Titanic's sister ship was ready for launching. The new Olympic slipped into the water at 9AM on May 25th, 1962. She was to incorporate several improvements over her older sister, such as a slight redesign of her foredeck to channel water away from her superstructure more efficiently. The other improvements were all internal, with some not even being noticeable to passengers. These included a more streamlined electrical architecture and slight shrinking of the exhaust pipes from the diesel engines providing enough space aboard ship for several additional cabins. Harland and Wolff began fitting her out immediately.

It was at this time that White Star began planning for the retirement of Mauritania. She was 21 years old and had seen hard service during the war shortly after her launch. She would also be the slowest ship in the fleet at 29 knots when all the Britannic and Baltic-class ships were completed. As a one off, she was also the most expensive to maintain. In the end, it was decided to retire her in 1966, when she reached 25 years old. At that time, Cunard would become nothing but a memory.

I hope White Star have maintained the Cunard archives well, and with the last of the Line passing, perhaps donate such paperwork, memorabilia etc to a museum? Or indeed open their own?

Will White Star have rooms named after Cunard ships as OTL Cunard does for White Star?

SsgtC

Banned
I hope White Star have maintained the Cunard archives well, and with the last of the Line passing, perhaps donate such paperwork, memorabilia etc to a museum? Or indeed open their own?

Will White Star have rooms named after Cunard ships as OTL Cunard does for White Star?

Yes, they've already done that. One of their onboard restaurants is named after Aquataina. They still have all of Cunard's archives. Technically, they closed down Cunard in 55/56. Mauritania is just the last vestige of them.

Md139115

Banned
Alright... I have taken the author's sketch, and everyone's comments, and made what I am really hoping is the OFFICIAL image of RMS Titanic (II).

Titanic II.jpg

Let me know what you think!

PS: To head off any objections to the use of the Blue Ensign now, I am going to point out that the author has already established the Titanic II is to carry all the honors of her predecessor by Royal Decree. Although I am not sure if the wearing of the Blue Ensign is included in this, I think it's a safe bet.

SsgtC

Banned
Alright... I have taken the author's sketch, and everyone's comments, and made what I am really hoping is the OFFICIAL image of RMS Titanic (II).

View attachment 341186

Let me know what you think!

PS: To head off any objections to the use of the Blue Ensign now, I am going to point out that the author has already established the Titanic II is to carry all the honors of her predecessor by Royal Decree. Although I am not sure if the wearing of the Blue Ensign is included in this, I think it's a safe bet.

Just a couple things. First, excellent job on that. At this time, she wouldn't have quite an as well defined a bulbous bow, but that's a really minor quibble. The only issue really is at the stern. Specifically the stern superstructure. It looks like you've included an open promenade deck, which she wouldn't have at this point in time and the way her stern is drawn, it looks like she has a well deck, which is something that disappeared from liners 20 years ago. I could be wrong on that. But overall, it's a great representation and is more than close enough.

As for the Blue Ensign, that would actually depend on her Captain. If her Captain is in the Royal Naval Reserve, she would be entitled to wear it. But, I'm willing to allow it as the ship is authorized her predecessor's battle honors, so it does only make sense that she would.

Speaking of flags, I'm just going to assume that the drawing was made while in NY and she's wearing the US flag as a courtesy flag, since White Star is no longer affiliated with IMM.

Md139115

Banned
Speaking of flags, I'm just going to assume that the drawing was made while in NY and she's wearing the US flag as a courtesy flag, since White Star is no longer affiliated with IMM.

My apologies, I was under the impression that White Star ships wore on the forepeak the flag of their next destination. But I think it would make sense to have the Stars and Stripes in an advertising image of the ship as her primary clientele would be American.

Status
Not open for further replies.