"Where Are We Going This Time": The Golden Age of Science Fiction

What should happen with the season summary updates?

• Continue as is (might delay other updates)

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Release them later, as supplementary material

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Cut out the OTL bits, only say what you've changed (might only be a temporary solution)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stop them completely

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
  • Mirror Image [6]
  • A Matter of Perspective
  • Tin Man
  • Yesterday’s Enterprise [7]
  • Hollow Pursuits
  • Ferengi Gold (Part 1) [8]
  • Ferengi Gold (Part 2)
I would think that if they were going to do a Two part episode, that the Mirror Universe would be the one that they did.
The Ferengi never seemed to be a villain that would carry a two parter .

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
I would think that if they were going to do a Two part episode, that the Mirror Universe would be the one that they did.
The Ferengi never seemed to be a villain that would carry a two parter .

While I agree that a Mirror Universe two part story would work better, Ferengi Gold was written as a two part Episode. Personally, I would imagine that the story is much darker than "False Profits", but I will admit that the episode may feel a little bare in parts. Ferengi Gold will also be the last Roddenberry written story of the franchise. The Ferengi aren't quite being shown in the same way that they were in DS9 yet, and this episode will show them in a much darker light, as they manipulate a pre-warp society for their own gains.

@Timelordtoe

So I was watching old episodes of Whose Line Is It Anyway and it reminded me of Tony Slattery who was a Cambridge Footlights colleague of Fry and Laurie and was an actor as well, appearing in films like the Crying Game.

Maybe Tony appears in Doctor Who as a recurring character continuing into the 90s. During the 90s he was diagnosed as bi-polar and decided to self medicate with drugs and alcohol, he would end up having a six month breakdown after being fired from Whose Line is it Anyway but if he's appearing in Doctor Who then maybe he's forced to get help sooner and avoids the breakdown that occurred.

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
@Timelordtoe

So I was watching old episodes of Whose Line Is It Anyway and it reminded me of Tony Slattery who was a Cambridge Footlights colleague of Fry and Laurie and was an actor as well, appearing in films like the Crying Game.

Maybe Tony appears in Doctor Who as a recurring character continuing into the 90s. During the 90s he was diagnosed as bi-polar and decided to self medicate with drugs and alcohol, he would end up having a six month breakdown after being fired from Whose Line is it Anyway but if he's appearing in Doctor Who then maybe he's forced to get help sooner and avoids the breakdown that occurred.

I'll have to keep him in mind as a name. I was planning on doing a little with WLIIA down the line, certainly using some of the cast members in guest appearances here and there.

Sorry about the delay on the update. I've has some personal issues as of late, and I've just moved across the country for the next 3-4 weeks. Might get the update out tonight, but I can't promise anything.

Sorry about the delay on the update. I've has some personal issues as of late, and I've just moved across the country for the next 3-4 weeks. Might get the update out tonight, but I can't promise anything.
It's fine, it's about quality not quantity in my opinion. I would rather have one well thought out addition to this timeline than a dozen brain farts.

Now I don't want to be posting too much on here but it relates to my post from earlier about Tony Slattery, well it turns out he actually auditioned for the 1996 Doctor Who TV Movie in 1994, he auditioned for the Doctor. You can watch a video about it here:

Well this was certainly a surprising find. When I mentioned Tony Slattery earlier it was just a random suggestion.

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Now I don't want to be posting too much on here but it relates to my post from earlier about Tony Slattery, well it turns out he actually auditioned for the 1996 Doctor Who TV Movie in 1994, he auditioned for the Doctor. You can watch a video about it here:

Well this was certainly a surprising find. When I mentioned Tony Slattery earlier it was just a random suggestion.

Thank you. I actually have all of the Doctors planned up to (and a litte beyond) the present. I'll keep him in mind for appearances here and there though.

I'm wondering. Will we see some of the current Trek and Who casts crossover. Capaldi and Tennant are such huge who fans and its likely they'll lobby for a part, depending on how things go, and this i could see them showing up on trek too. Similarly, Jason Issacs is the type of actor i see showing up on ether show. Anson Mount is also a huge trek fan, so i could see him lobbying for a role later on. Doug Jones is another figure that would be interesting to see covered.

Last edited:

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
I'm wondering. Will we see some of the current Trek and Who casts crossover. Capaldi and Tennat are such huge who fans and its likely they'll lobby for a part, depending on how things go, and this i could see them showing up on trek too. Similarly, Jason Issacs is the type of actor i see showing up on ether show. Anson Mount is also a huge trek fan, so i could see him lobbying for a role later on. Doug Jones is another figure that would be interesting to ser covered

I have plans for all five of those actors, although we won't see any of them for a little while. There is going to be a good bit of crossover. Some Trek actors will have big roles in Dr Who, and vice versa. Some may even have big roles in both. I can't say anything more without spoiling some stuff that's coming up soon.

Just found this timeline today and wanted to say well done so far.

Some thoughts:

1) You could get this tagged with Star Trek and Doctor Who by the Mods so more folk can find it.

2) Please save Queen; your POD is far enough back to prevent Freddie going off the rails as bad as OTL; ditch Paul Prenter for a start...

3) Give Leslie Crusher more kids her teenage age to interact with- one of the reason Wesley came across so bad was him trying to hang with the adults- not being such a smug genius would also help her

4) No Dr Crusher return please, Gates was not that good- I actually preferred Pulaski (excepting her attitude to Data)

5) Do not be afraid to promote characters out of Trek - esp Riker and other senior crew. Seems unlikely they would all stay esp after Wolf 359. Spiner might like to go early

6) Laurie, Hanks, and Crosby? Fantastic Who cast there

7) Stephen Fry strikes me as a good Monk type

8) Please have Lenny Henry as a Doctor...

9) Are you going to touch on comics? If there is a resurgence of things 'geek' it could save Marvel from bankruptcy if Shooter or anyone but Perelman buys it

10) Similarly the RPG market might be different if someone produces a easier to use Star Trek game (FASA's is brilliant, but hard work!) or Doctor Who RPG

11) As a thought if Marvel is not cleaning up at the cinema, they could have had a TV-verse in the 80's - Hulk, Spider-Man, Punisher, Doctor Strange, Captain America perhaps?

12) More Star Wars? Perhaps Lucas can be persuaded to let other play in his movie ball pit - esp as Sci-Fi is 'hot' and we get a Star Wars mini-series concentrated on the Rebels?

13) Star Trek V could/should have been better if Shatner had been forced to wait for the writers strike to be over and had gotten ILM for the FX, and listened to Roddenberry about not doing a God plot

14) Doc Brown as The Doctor was inspired

15) The Laurie Doctor turning up to offer Marty and Jennifer a ride should be in the credits as a mid-credit teaser...

16) Is Ghostbusters still just 2 movies? Or could movie 1 lead to a TV show?

17) Will you be touching on animation? Seeing Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets do better or Dungeons and Dragons would be cool please

18) Any effects on Quantum Leap, TMNT, Alien Nation etc etc...

19) Is Michael Jackson doing any different?

20) Given Titanic was found in 1985 and the 86 and 87 expeditions where big news, any chance of a Who episode set on-board? Filming on Queen Mary might help the butterflies get Port Disney built...

More please!

You have of course deprived us of one of the Great Rap Battles of History...

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Just found this timeline today and wanted to say well done so far.

Some thoughts:

1) You could get this tagged with Star Trek and Doctor Who by the Mods so more folk can find it.

2) Please save Queen; your POD is far enough back to prevent Freddie going off the rails as bad as OTL; ditch Paul Prenter for a start...

3) Give Leslie Crusher more kids her teenage age to interact with- one of the reason Wesley came across so bad was him trying to hang with the adults- not being such a smug genius would also help her

4) No Dr Crusher return please, Gates was not that good- I actually preferred Pulaski (excepting her attitude to Data)

5) Do not be afraid to promote characters out of Trek - esp Riker and other senior crew. Seems unlikely they would all stay esp after Wolf 359. Spiner might like to go early

6) Laurie, Hanks, and Crosby? Fantastic Who cast there

7) Stephen Fry strikes me as a good Monk type

8) Please have Lenny Henry as a Doctor...

9) Are you going to touch on comics? If there is a resurgence of things 'geek' it could save Marvel from bankruptcy if Shooter or anyone but Perelman buys it

10) Similarly the RPG market might be different if someone produces a easier to use Star Trek game (FASA's is brilliant, but hard work!) or Doctor Who RPG

11) As a thought if Marvel is not cleaning up at the cinema, they could have had a TV-verse in the 80's - Hulk, Spider-Man, Punisher, Doctor Strange, Captain America perhaps?

12) More Star Wars? Perhaps Lucas can be persuaded to let other play in his movie ball pit - esp as Sci-Fi is 'hot' and we get a Star Wars mini-series concentrated on the Rebels?

13) Star Trek V could/should have been better if Shatner had been forced to wait for the writers strike to be over and had gotten ILM for the FX, and listened to Roddenberry about not doing a God plot

14) Doc Brown as The Doctor was inspired

15) The Laurie Doctor turning up to offer Marty and Jennifer a ride should be in the credits as a mid-credit teaser...

16) Is Ghostbusters still just 2 movies? Or could movie 1 lead to a TV show?

17) Will you be touching on animation? Seeing Gatchaman/Battle of the Planets do better or Dungeons and Dragons would be cool please

18) Any effects on Quantum Leap, TMNT, Alien Nation etc etc...

19) Is Michael Jackson doing any different?

20) Given Titanic was found in 1985 and the 86 and 87 expeditions where big news, any chance of a Who episode set on-board? Filming on Queen Mary might help the butterflies get Port Disney built...

More please!

You have of course deprived us of one of the Great Rap Battles of History...

Thanks for reading! I'll do my best to respond to your thoughts.

1) Thank you, I will. I've always been bad at tagging stuff, as I rarely use such things.
2) As they're more of a peripheral part, I'm happy to reveal that Queen will be sticking around for longer. The POD's effects don't really start until the mid 80s, so the Prenter stuff regrettably happens as OTL, but his AIDS is butterflied. While this results in slightly less awareness around it, it keeps Queen going for a good while longer.
3) Gugino is marginally older than Wheaton, but Leslie is less of a wunderkind than Wesley. As she's staying for longer than Wheaton, she will get more development, and more say in the character. With the addition of Christian Slater to the cast, who is around the same age, there are more people for her to interact with as equals.
4) I won't reveal if Dr Crusher is gone for good, as the longer she isn't on the ship but Leslie is, the more of a problem that becomes. It's unlikely I'll bring her back beyond a guest appearance or two, like Crosby
5) The crew will be more likely to change than OTL. The current crew will stick around for a little while, but there are a couple of things happening down the line that may result in some being written out.
6) Thank you. I'm rather worried that they may be my best grouping, and that I've peaked too early.
7) His character of The Minister isn't dissimilar to the Monk. The Monk will be back in time. The Minister has similar ideals to the Doctor, "stop evil", but with far fewer qualms about maintaining history.
8) I can't reveal my plans for the future.
9) There will be a little on comics. As I know relatively little, they will likely be more of a peripheral part of the story. With Marvel getting into films, they'll do better financially through the 90s.
10) The games world will change a good bit. It's not the main focus, but I will cover them. With Doctor Who and Star Trek both big franchises, you can expect to see plenty of games based on both.
11) Marvel's 80s TV stuff has gone as OTL pretty much. With an X-Men film being made though, there will be renewed interest in producing media based on the comics.
12) More Star Wars is coming soon enough.
13) Star Trek V is getting delayed, which will have knock on effects on the rest of the Star Trek films. Shatner will likely be persuaded to let his ego go somewhat.
14) Thank you once more. The basic idea behind the timeline was to make Doctor Who big in the US and survive through the 90s. I came upon the idea while chatting with some mates about Back to the Future, and how Doc Brown was a Doctor-y character.
15) We've not seen the last of Marty or Jennifer. Companions will be more likely to appeat after their main tenure now.
16) Ghostbusters II will happen as OTL. A TV show isn't off the cards, especiallt with the successful transition that Doctor Who pulled off. It's all a bit up in the air for now.
17) Again, a topic on which I'm not overly familiar. Some animation will appear in the course of the timeline.
18) There will be a good amount of butterflies on other sci-fi related media. Most of it will be explored through general updates, one of which is coming up soon, after I get this summary of S3 of TNG finished up, as it's taking me a LONG time.
19) It's pretty much all the same for him for now.
20) There is a good chance of a Titanic story for Doctor Who. Port Disney may be completed.

Overview of Season 3 of Star Trek: The Next Generation

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Overview of Season 3 of Star Trek: The Next Generation

Evolution

The Enterprise approaches a binary star system under the guidance of Dr Paul Stubbs, in order to observe neutronium decay as a result of stellar explosion. The event they are to witness occurs only once every 196 years and the data is to be gathered with a probe dubbed “The Egg”. Meanwhile, Dr Amelia Henderson and Ensign Andrew Kelly have recently joined the crew, and are settling in to life on the Enterprise. As the time approaches, the ship begins to malfunction in strange ways. It is revealed that some of Leslie Crusher’s nanites have escaped into the computer system. Eventually, the nanites are able to be purged from the system, and sent to a nearby planet, while Dr Stubbs is able to collect his data.

The Ensigns of Command
The Enterprise receives an automated message from the Sheliak: remove the colonists from Tau Cygni V in four days. The Sheliak hold little regard for human life, and under the terms of a strict treaty, the planet is owned by the Sheliak. Upon arriving at the planet, the majority of the colonists prove unwilling to leave, and the presence of hyperonic radiation prevents the use of transporters, meaning that it will take three weeks to evacuate the colony. The Sheliak are not required to give any more time, so Picard works on finding a loophole while Data attempts to convince the colonists to leave. A loophole is found, and Data sabotages the aqueduct system on the planet. The Sheliak give the Federation three weeks to evacuate the planet, rather than wait six months for third party arbitrators that have been nominated to awaken.

The Survivors
The Enterprise arrives at Delta Rana IV in response to a distress call. The planet is devastated with the exception of one small patch of land, which contains a house. The inhabitants, Kevin and Rishon Uxbridge seem oblivious to the fact that they are the only survivors and while Rishon is welcoming, Kevin seems eager for the crew to move on. Only a small music box seems to be of note, the music of which starts to play in Counsellor Troi’s head, causing her so much distress that she is placed into a medically induced coma. When the Enterprise refuses to leave, an unknown ship appears in orbit and attacks the Enterprise, despite its relative simplicity. The ship appears to destroy the house, but it later reappears. When confronted, Kevin admits that he is a being with a large amount of power, and killed all of the Husnock species when they attacked the world and killed his wife, the Rishon the crew have met is only an illusion. Picard states that they are not qualified to judge Kevin, as they have no laws to deal with the magnitude of Kevin’s crimes. The Enterprise leaves, leaving behind a warning to not approach the planet.

Perchance to Dream
While surveying a planet with no intelligent life, a shuttle containing Data, Troi and Leslie Crusher is captured by a race known as the Tenirans, who have claimed the planet. When Captain Picard attempts to negotiate for the release of the crew of the shuttle, it disappears in a flash of light. After confronting the Teniran captain, Picard disappears from the bridge, arriving on the planet with the Teniran captain. They soon realise that they are not alone, and must face an entity that can control the planet.

Who Watches the Watchers
The Enterprise arrives at Mintaka III, a planet with a proto-Vulcan primitive race, which is being observed covertly by the Federation. While the Enterprise assists the outpost, a power fluctuation causes the outpost to be revealed to one of the Mintakans, Liko. When Liko approaches, he is hit by an electrical discharge, greatly injuring him. In violation of the Prime Directive, Dr Henderson takes him to the Enterprise to treat him. In order to prevent cultural contamination, his memory of the event is wiped, but the process is not completely successful, as he retains knowledge of Picard, who he comes to see as a god. Troi and Riker are sent down in disguise to locate a missing member of the research team, while Liko spreads his new religion. In order to prevent a complete societal change, Picard contacts Nuria, the leader of the group of Mintakans. She sees the truth, but is unable to convince Liko. In order to prove his mortality, Picard allows Liko to shoot him with a bow and arrow. Picard having proved his mortality, the outpost is dismantled, and the Mintakans are left alone.

The Enemy
The Enterprise responds to a distress call coming from Galorndon Core, a planet in the Neutral Zone. There are storms on the planet which cause issues with transporters, so Riker, Kelly and La Forge transport down through a small window. They find one of the Romulan Survivors, who is near death, but La Forge falls down a hole. Riker and Kelly try to find La Forge, but are forced to leave before the window closes. La Forge is found by another survivor, who is injured. On the Enterprise, Dr Henderson tries to treat the Romulan, but he requires a rare variety of ribosomes to survive. While La Forge and the other survivor learn to work together to survive, the survivor on the Enterprise dies. The Enterprise is confronted by Commander Tomalak, who demands an explanation for the death of the survivor. When Geordi is able to contact the Enterprise, the situation is resolved, and the Romulans are escorted back to their space.

Booby Trap
When the Enterprise investigates an asteroid-laden area of space that was the location of the final battle between the Menthars and Promelians, they receive a distress call from a Promelian battlecruiser. Picard beams over, eager to investigate, but all of the crew is long dead. They discover that the ship fell prey to a Menthan trap that drained their power. Upon beaming back to the Enterprise, it is discovered that they are also in the trap. In order to escape, Geordi creates a holographic simulation of the Enterprise, and consults the plans of the Enterprise to find a way to escape. To assist him, La Forge creates a holographic version of Dr Leah Brahms, whom he begins to develop romantic feelings for. Despite this, La Forge is unable to find a way out of the trap, and Picard orders all extraneous power systems to be shut down. When power is restored, La Forge discovers a way to reduce power from the Enterprise and maneuver out of the trap using only thrusters. Gerodi’s plan is enacted, and Picard pilots the Enterprise to safety.

Shattered Time
The Enterprise investigates a distress signal from the USS Canberra, which claims to be under attack from an unknown power while exploring a previously uncharted area of space. Upon arriving at the Canberra’s location, the Enterprise finds it destroyed. The weapons used to destroy the ship do not match any known species. The weapons are traced back to their point of origin, an uncharted sector of space. There, they find the Marraba, a highly advanced society that highly values solitude. Their leader Jalas (Tom Hanks) reveals that they use a weapons system that destroys vessels that their computer deems a threat to their revelation. The presence of the Canberra tripped the system, and the Enterprise has been targeted. With help from Jalas, the crew of the Enterprise is able to stop the missiles from destroying the ship.

The Price
The crew host a large group of interplanetary dignitaries, who are bidding for the rights to a stable wormhole to the Gamma Quadrant, discovered by the Barzans. Troi meets with Devinoni Ral, an empath and negotiator for one of the other powers, and the two begin a love affair. When the Ferengi incapacitate the Federation negotiator, Mendoza, Picard requests that Riker take over. Before signing a binding contract, Riker requests that Data and Kelly conduct an exploration of the other side of the wormhole. Arriving in the Delta Quadrant, they discover that the other end of the wormhole is not stable, and that therefore the wormhole is worthless. As negotiations continue, Troi discovers that Ral has been using his empathic abilities to gain an edge, narrowing the competitors down to the Federation and his employer, the Chrysalians. When the Ferengi threaten to destroy the wormhole, claiming that they have been informed that the Federation and the Barzans have a secret deal. When Riker leaves to deal with the situation, Ral is able to gain the upper hand in negotiations, playing on the Barzan fear of war. As the deal is about to be closed, the Enterprise shuttle returns, announcing how the wormhole is worthless.

The High Ground
While delivering medical supplied to the war-torn planet Rutia IV, Dr Henderson, Worf and Data relax in a cafe. The Federation is unable to intervene in the conflict on the planet due to the Prime Directive. When the cafe is attacked by the rebels, the Ansata, Dr Henderson goes to tend to the wounded, but is abducted by one of the rebels, using an unknown method of transportation. When the head of Rutian security, Devos, demands the apprehension and interrogation of all Ansata sympathisers, the Enterprise crew investigate the method of teleportation, which shifts the user through other dimensions. Dr Henderson is freed from her restraints on the condition that she treat the rebels. The teleportation device, an “inverter”, causes irreparable damage to the user’s DNA. Believing that the Enterprise is working with the Rutians, the rebels plant a bomb in the Enterprise’s warp engine. While it is transported away in time, Captain Picard is abducted too. With Picard as his captive, the leader of the Ansata, Finn, appears to Troi on the Enterprise to demand that the Federation mediate the dispute. Data and Leslie are able to determine the location of the base from the recent transportations, and Riker and Devos assemble their forces to storm the base. Finn, as a last resort, threatens to kill Picard, but is killed by Devos. When a young rebel is convinced to drop his weapon, Picard notes that there may be hope for future mediation.

The Defector
While helping Data explore the human condition, Picard is notified by Riker that a Romulan scout ship has entered the neutral zone, pursued by warbird. The Enterprise moves to intercept, causing the warbird to cloak. The occupant of the scout ship, Sub-Lieutenant Setal, a logic clerk seeking to defect, claiming to have information on a Romulan installation on Nelvana III. When Setal refuses to give any more information, the crew become suspicious that he may be still be working for the Romulans. Setal confides to Data that he regrets that he will be unable to see his family again. Although Data tries to help, Setal dismisses it, revealing that he is actually Admiral Jarok. Jarok provides more information and the Enterprise travels to Nelvana III, finding no installation. Two Romulan warbirds decloak, and demand the Enterprise surrender. Picard reveals that he has prepared for this, and three Klingon warbirds decloak. The Romulans depart, and Jarok is later found dead, having committed suicide. Picard muses on Jarok’s conviction to end the conflict between the Federation and the Romulans

Mirror Image
The Enterprise is sent to investigate a spatial anomaly that is preventing communications in a sector of space. Upon travelling there, the Enterprise discovers what appears to be an exact copy of the ship. Making contact, they discover that the other ship is their Mirror Universe counterpart, who claim to come in peace following Spock’s reforms to the Terran Empire. On travelling to the Mirror ship, the prime crew begin to see that little has changed for the Terrans since the original incident. The prime crew discover that the Mirror universe has conquered all of their galaxy, and plan to invade the prime universe, by covertly replacing people, beginning with the Enterprise. The plan, masterminded by the Mirror Picard’s commanding officer Admiral Darrow (Hugh Laurie), nearly comes to fruition, as the prime Enterprise is unable to send a warning message due to the anomaly that their mirror counterparts have travelled through. It is only stopped by the prime Picard starting a rebellion among the Mirror alien crewmembers, who are treated as slaves. The Mirror Enterprise is sent back to their own universe, and Picard suggests to the Mirror Worf that the Empire may be overextended, and could be vulnerable to a large rebellion.

A Matter of Perspective
While preparing for a planetary survey, Riker and La Forge are dropped off at the Botanica Four space station to observe the work of Dr Nel Apgar. When the Enterprise returns, Riker stays for a few moments longer to speak with Dr Apgar. Just after he is transported off, the space station explodes, killing Apgar. Shortly thereafter, a Tanugan investigator, Krag, arrives to arrest Riker, claiming that he murdered Apgar. Tanugan law practives guilty until proven innocent, so the crew must work to prove that Riker is innocent. In the course of the investigation, various different testimonies are seen, all showing the events slightly differently. Investigating a phenomenon that is now affecting the ship, Picard shows that Dr Apgar’s research was complete, and that he was more interested in the potential monetary gain from the work and in weaponising his research. Suspecting that Riker knew this, Apgar tried to kill him as Riker transported away, but the phaser beam reflected off of the transporter beam, striking the power core, causing the explosion.

Tin Man
The Enterprise brings a Betazoid emissary, Tam Elbrun, on a mission to a distant star system. Elbrun’s telepathic abilities are needed to communicate with a sentient spaceship, known as the Tim Man, that is close to a star that is about to go supernova. Upon arrival, the Enterprise is attacked by a Romulan warbird that intends to gain a head start in communication. Elbrun senses that the Romulans will destroy the ship if they are unable to use it, and sends a telepathic warning to the Tin Man. The Tim Man comes to life, sending out a pulse that disables the warbird and further damages the Enterprise. Elbrun, now in contact with the Tin Man, discovers that its real name is Gomtuu, and intends to die in the supernova as it no longer has a purpose. Elbrun requests to be beamed aboard with Data, though Picard is unwilling to comply until another warbird arrives to destroy the Enterprise. When aboard, Elbrun reveals that he intends to stay, as he feels that it is where he belongs. Data returns to the Enterprise and reports the situation. Just as the star goes supernova, Gomtuu sends out another pulse that pushes the Enterprise and the warbirds to safety.

Yesterday’s Enterprise
The Enterprise-D encounters a rift in spacetime when on a mission. As they monitor the anomany, the heavily damages Enterprise-C emerges. Instantly, the Enterprise-D undergoes a radical change as the timeline is altered, as the Enterprise-C was not destroyed protecting Klingons, and as a result, the Federation and Klingon Empire are at war and Tasha Yar is still alive. Guinan instinctively notices the change, and percieves that the current reality is “wrong”. Guinan consults with Picard and suggests that the Enterprise-C must return to the past. Captain Garrett of the Enterprise-C determines that she has travelled to the future, and meets with Picard. While Garrett is initially hesitant to return to the past, as it will likely result in the destruction of the Enterprise-C, Picard revels that the war is going very badly for the Federation, and that one more ship will make little difference. In the hope that they can save the Federation, Garrett announces that they are going to return to their own time. Unfortunately, they are than attacked by two Klingon Birds-of-Prey, and Garrett is killed, her helmsman Richard Callisto taking command. Over the repairs, Tasha Yar and Richard Callisto grow close, and following the revelation that in the “real” timeline Yar dies a meaningless death, Yar requests a transfer to the Enterprise-C. As the Enterprise-C prepares to return, three Klingon battlecruisers attack. The Enterprise-D tries to give cover, but suffers major crew losses. At the verge of destruction, the Enterprise-C goes back through the anomaly, and the main timeline is restored.

Hollow Pursuits
While transporting Mikulak biological tissue intended to be used to help treat an ourbreak of Correlium fever. When it is discovered that one of the containers is leaking, it is destroyed to prevent contamination. Meanwhile, La Forge tells Riker that his is concerned that Reginald Barclay, one of his engineers, is underperforming. La Forge requests that Barclay be transferred, but Picard suggests that he take Barclay on as a ‘pet project’. Unbeknownst to the bridge crew, Barclay has been indulging in a holodeck scenario with simulations of the Enterprise crewmembers, resulting in his avoidance of their real selves. Barclay is urged to make an appointment with Counsellor Troi, but Barclay bails when Troi tries to get him to relax. Following him, Riker, La Forge and Troi enter the holodeck, discovering the simulation. Before they are able to confront Barclay, the ship accelerates to warp speeds, and will continue to accelerate until the structural integrity has collapsed. While the Engineering team is unable to come up with any solutions, Barclay determines the cause, and is able to stop the ship. While the Enterprise travels to a starbase to undergo repairs, Barclay is commended for his assistance.

Ferengi Gold
The Enterprise is sent to survey an uncharted systen that is believed to house sentient life. Upon arrival, they find that a group of Ferengi have set themselves up as gods to the inhabitants of the planet, using their technology to perform “miracles”. While the crew of the Enterprise clearly see this as being morally wrong, they are unable to intervene due to the Prime Directive. Before the Enterprise is able to report back, they are attacked by the Ferengi, who believe that the Enterprise is there to interfere. As a result, the crew decide to intervene, and show the Ferengi for what they really are. However, to do so will likely result in strict disciplinary action against the crew, and matters are further complicated when another Federation ship arrives. Over the course of the story, the crew of the Enterprise must come to terms with the fact that their most absolute rule may, in some situations, be wrong, and that sometimes to do what is right involves breaking the rules.

The Offspring
Data invites Troi, Crusher and La Forge to his lab and introduces them to a featureless humanoid android, based on his own design and recent advances in cybernetic technology. He introduces the android as Lal, his daughter. Encouraging her to choose a gender and form, Lal decides on the form of a young human woman. Data encourages her to interact with the crewmembers to learn social interactions, and after a failed attempt at schooling, she is placed under the care of Guinan. Lal learns about various concepts quickly, showing a potential to be even more advanced than Data. Picard expresses concern over the secrecy of Lal’s construction to Data, though Data says that Picard would not have the same issue if two other crewmembers decided to procreate. While accepting this, Picard nevertheless reports to Starfleet in compliance with general orders. Admiral Haftel arrives to evacuate Lal, but she does not want to go. While speaking with Lal, Troi realises that Lal is feeling fear, and Lal begins to experience a cascade failure. Data and Haftel work together to try to save Lal, but they fail. Data apologises to Lal, but Lal thanks Data for her creation, and tells him that she loves him, and is feeling emotion for the both of them. Data returns to the bridge, and Picard gives him the ship’s condolences, though Data says that Lal lives on through him, as he uploaded her memories to his brain.

Sins of the Father
Klingon Commander Kurn has requested to be placed on the Enterprise as its first officer as a part of an officer exchange program. His command style aggravates the crew, especially Worf. Kurn reveals to Worf that he is Worf’s younger brother, and that their father, Mogh, is being tried posthumously for betraying the Klingon Empire. Worf requests a leave of absence to clear his father’s name, but Picard suggests that the Enterprise go with him, as his actions may be of note. At the High Council, Worf challenges Duras, who is presenting evidence. The aging chancellor suggests that Worf leave, but Worf and Picard find this suspicious. Duras ambushes Kurn and tries to get him to betray Worf. The Enterprise crew discover that the Khitomer logs were modified, and that there is another survivor, Kahlest. Picard brings Kahlest to the court, and bluffs that she knows the true traitor. Chancellor K’mpec calls Worf, Picard, Kahlest and Kurn to his quarters and reveals that it is known that the true traitor is Duras’ father, but to reveal so would likely cause a civil war. Worf begrudgingly takes a discommendation, in exchange for the proceedings remaining a secret, including the knowledge of Kurn’s heritage.

Sarek
Federation Ambassador Sarek arrives on the Enterprise to attend a conference between the Federation and Legarans. Although Picard tries to be accomodating, Sarek appears agitated regardless, and at a chamber music concert for him, Sarek begins crying and showing emotion, a trait that Vulcans normally repress. When crewmembers become increasingly agitated, culminating in a brawl in Ten-Forward, Troi and Dr Henderson determine that Sarek is suffering from Bendii syndrome, causing Sarek’s emotional control to wane and making him emit an “empathic field”, making others feel his emotions. Picard confronts Sarek about this, and when Sarek breaks down in tears, Picard decides to cancel the conference. Sarek’s wife Perrin suggests that someone enter a mind meld with Sarek, imparting his emotions onto someone else, allowing Sarek to retain control momentarily, meaning that the conference would not have to be cancelled. Picard volunteers, and while Sarek is able to maintain composure, Picard feels Sarek’s emotions, conveying Sarek’s regret at being unable to show his love for Spock, his old wife Amanda, and his new wife Perrin. The conference is a success, and Sarek departs, telling Picard that they “will always carry a piece of the best of each other with them”.

Captain’s Holiday
Pressured by the crew of the Enterprise, Captain Picard takes a vacation to the resort planet Risa. Shortly after his arrival, he is kissed by a woman called Vash, in an attempt to escape a Ferengi, Sovak. Picard returns to his room, finding two Vorgons, who claim to be time travelling police officers, looking for a weapon known as the Tox Uthat, which can stop fusion in a star. According to their records, Picard will locate the weapon on Risa. Picard confronts Vash about the Uthat, and they use the information on a data disc that Vash has to determine its location. When they arrive at the location, the Vorgons appear to witness its discovery. Sovak arrives, forcing Picard and Vash to excavate at gunpoint. When the Uthat is not found, Sovak begins digging with his rifle, while to Vorgons depart, disappointed. Picard catches Vash attempting to sneak away, surmising that she has already excavated it and hid it again to trick Sovat into thinking that it was lost. Vash shows Picard the Uthat, and the Vorgons reappear, demanding that they hand it over. When Vash suggests that the Vorgons may have an ulterior motive, Picard has the Enterprise’s transporters destroy it. The Vorgons admit that Picard has acted as their records show, and depart. Vash and Picard share an intimate moment before going their separate ways.

Deja Q
The Enterprise arrives at Bre’el IV to prevent the planet’s asteroid moon from falling from orbit and impacting the heavily populated planet. While the crew works, Q appears on the bridge naked and apparently stripped of his powers. Q requests asylum, but Picard sends him to the Brig. Realising that Q is still incredibly intelligent, and thus an asset, La Forge consults with Q on how to stop the asteroid. Q suggests changing the gravitational constant of the universe, which is beyond the Enterprise’s abilities. While learning to be human, Q encounters Guinan, who takes the opportunity to stab Q with a fork. Q is then attacked by a group of gaseous entities called the Calamarain, who want revenge on Q for tormenting them. They are stopped by the Enterprise raising shields. La Forge realises that while they may not be able to change the gravitational constant of the entire universe, they could alter it in a small space, just for the asteroid, preventing calamity. However, to do so involved lowering shields, and the Calamarain begin to attack Q, damaging the Enterprise. To save the Enterprise, Q departs on a shuttle, where he is given his powers back for the selfless act. Q reappears on the Bridge, giving Data a parting give of momentary emotion. Picard muses that there may be some humanity to Q, but a cigar appears in Picard’s hand along with Q’s voice telling him “don’t count on it”.

The Hunted
The Enterprise investigates Angosia III as a potential candidate for joining the Federation. Captain Picard is approached by Prime Minister Nayrok for help in apprehending an escaped convict. The Enterprise locates the ship, but finds no life signs. On a hunch, they beam it aboard regardless, finding the prisoner, Roga Danar, inside. He overpowers the guards, and phasers seemingly have no effect on him. Once subdued, Danar explains that he and other prisoners were genetically enhanced, to act as soldiers acting violently only when endangered. Nayrok confirms the story, but asserts that it is a matter of internal affairs when it is revealed that Danar has no criminal record. Danar escapes, beaming to the penal colony and rescues the other inmates. While Picars and Nayrok discuss the prisoner’s situation, Danar and the other inmates barge in, beginning a rebellion. When Nayrok pleads with Picard to intervene, Picard reminds him that it is a matter of “internal security” and departs. Picard notes that if the government survives, that they will be given assistance, and can reapply to join the Federation at a later date.

The Most Toys
The Enterprise arrives at a planet to help in decontaminating their water supply. The contaminant can only be removed with a rare mineral, hitridium, which few people sell. The nearest seller is Kivas Fajo, a collector of rare artefacts. As hitridium is unstable, it must be transported to the Enterprise by shuttle, a task Data undertakes. Just before the final shipment, Data is kidnapped by the crew, and the shuttle is sent, exploding enroute to make the crew of the Enterprise believe that Data is dead. Fajo attempts to get Data to comply, but has to resort to extreme measures, including spilling a solvent on him to make him change clothes, and threatening to kill another prisoner to get Data to show off for a guest. When the Enterprise decontaminates the water supply, they discover that the process is far quicker than expected, leading them to believe that the whole situation was staged. They return to arrest Fujo and free Data, confiscating Fujo’s collection. Fujo asks Data if he feels happy with the reversal of the situation, but Data replies that he does not, as he is an android, and cannot feel emotion.

The Best of Both Worlds (Part I)
The Enterprise arrives at a distant colony, responding to a distress call, only to find that the colony has disappeared. The Borg are suspected, so Federation Admiral Hanson travels to the Enterprise with Commander Shelby, an expert on the Borg. Riker has been offered command of a starship, and Picard suggests that Riker consider the offer. There is a significant tension between Riker and Shelby, as Shelby is vying for the position of the Enterprise’s first officer. A distress call from a Federation vessel is received, mentioning a “cube-like vessel”. The Enterprise moves to respond, and finds a Borg cube. The cube demands that Picard surrender himself to them, which he refuses. The crew try many different tactics to defeat the Borg, but none are successful in destroying the cube. The Enterprise flees into a nebula, and powers down systems, working on a modification to the deflector dish that should destroy the cube. The cube flushes the Enterprise out of the nebula by firing indiscriminately, and Borg drones beam aboard, abducting picard. The cube sets course for Earth, and the Enterprise, having completed the modifications, moves to intercept. Riker, now in command, sends an away team to retreive Picard, but the team is forced to beam out, glimpsing an assimilated Picard. The Borg contact the Enterprise, using Picard as a mouthpiece, naming him “Locutus of Borg”, telling the Enterprise to prepare for assimilation. Riker orders Kelly to fire the deflector dish.

This was another long one. All in all, it measures just shy of 5,000 words. As a result, I'm not going to do footnotes again. If there are any questions, I'll answer them in a separate post. If I think they're important enough, I might add them in as an edit to this post. There will be a follow up post after this, just as a courtesy. Phew. Hopefully, I can get back to updating on the regular again, these just really take the energy out of me.

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Right, now that's done, a little update.

I'm on break from uni at the moment, so I'm going to try to update daily if I can for the next week or so. I have a real solid plan for the next ten or so updates now, and things are about to get a little interesting soon. I shan't say why, as you'll know soon enough.

In other news, I've discovered just today that one of the actors that portrayed one of the Doctor's companions went to the same school as me. I shan't say which for risk of doxxing myself, but it was a nice thing to find, especially as there is a strong network of alumni.

If any of you have any questions regarding the update, feel free to post them. I'll address them when I can.

Nice work!

Sounds like a better season than OTL, though the Mirror universe one is probably one I'd dislike since I never liked the concept.

Though some of the shows are different a lot of this seems very similar to OTL - will you be increasing the butterflies in episodes as the seasons go on?

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Nice work!

Sounds like a better season than OTL, though the Mirror universe one is probably one I'd dislike since I never liked the concept.

Though some of the shows are different a lot of this seems very similar to OTL - will you be increasing the butterflies in episodes as the seasons go on?

Yeah, butterflies are starting to take real effect. I'm not sure that we'll see a completely different season of TNG at any point, some may still slip through, but the ideas I've had take a bit of time to be set up.

The Ensigns of Command
This is the one episode of Next Gen that always causes problems for me.
Data is Second Officer on the Enterprise but he never dealt with the responsibility of command ?
This might be a better choice for the new Christian Slater character. Have the young just out of the academy officer be on his first assignment.
He thinks that it going to be easy but it turns out to be more complex then he expected.

Mirror Image
Am I correct in assuming that Diane Duane was the author of this episode?
She wrote the book Dark Mirror in the OTL and also cowrote the episode "Where no one had gone before" in the OTL.
So it make sense that she write the mirror universe episode.

And is Deanna Troi still the Mirror Universe Security officer in the episode ?
I always like that idea, for some reason.

Nice work on the latest post.

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
This is the one episode of Next Gen that always causes problems for me.
Data is Second Officer on the Enterprise but he never dealt with the responsibility of command ?
This might be a better choice for the new Christian Slater character. Have the young just out of the academy officer be on his first assignment.
He thinks that it going to be easy but it turns out to be more complex then he expected.

Am I correct in assuming that Diane Duane was the author of this episode?
She wrote the book Dark Mirror in the OTL and also cowrote the episode "Where no one had gone before" in the OTL.
So it make sense that she write the mirror universe episode.

And is Deanna Troi still the Mirror Universe Security officer in the episode ?
I always like that idea, for some reason.

Nice work on the latest post.

Thank you. I like your suggestion, and I'll probably change The Ensigns of Command to fit.

Diane Duane did indeed write the episode, and Troi is the Mirror Security Officer. Her abilities lend themselves to a Secutiry Officer in the Mirror Universe.

And if we are adapting books into episodes, could you please include "Q in Law" as a future episode?
The scene on the Handball court would be the funniest scene in the history of Star Trek.

(I love to see Peter David Vendetta adapted but I do recognize the Effect Budget would be more then they could spend)

Chapter XIII: "Where Are We Now?"

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Part II, Chapter XIII: "Where Are We Now?"

“The few years following 1987 are by far the most important to this so-called ‘Golden Age of Science Fiction’. The returns of both Doctor Who and Star Trek to television began a popularisation of ‘nerd culture’ unlike almost anything since. But it is important to note that these were not the only important events in popular culture of the time.”​

- Stephen Fry, taken from The Golden Age of Science Fiction, a 2005 documentary about the popular culture of 1987-2001. [1]

1987 was arguably the most important year for science fiction in popular culture. Primarily, it saw the release of the first season of Star Trek: The Next Generation, and the final Amblin Doctor Who film: Doctor Who: The Mad Dog Gang. This was shortly followed by the announcement from NBC that they were to bring Doctor Who back to television the following year.

British popular culture would get another rejuvenation, in the form of Timothy Dalton as James Bond. Replacing Roger Moore, Dalton’s first film, The Living Daylights, would see a more mature take on the role and a return to classical espionage, a move that was almost universally praised by critics. Following the success of The Living Daylights, Dalton would be signed on to a sequel, tentatively titled License Revoked, and A-ha, who produced the film’s lead single, would see an increase in popularity. [2]

In Europe, the Eurovision Song Contest was broadcast on the 9th of May 1987 from Brighton, United Kingdom. Following the late decision to award the victory to Switzerland, Swiss broadcast companies proved unwilling to prepare the event on short notice. The BBC stepped in, offering to host, as they had done previously when countries had to pull out. [3]

1987 also marked the first of five years of Belgian boycotting entry of the Eurovision Song Contest, although they still voted, as their 1986 victory had been given to Switzerland when it was discovered that their entry had broken the rules of the contest. This would not be the only controversy involving the contest this year either. The Israeli entry, ostensibly comedic in nature, so offended their culture minister that he resigned. [4]

The victor of the contest was Ireland’s Johnny Logan, who would become the first, and to date only, person to win the contest on more than one occasion.

1988 saw the release of the second season of Star Trek: The Next Generation, along with the twenty-second season of Doctor Who, which was now a joint British-American production.

Comic Relief had its first biennial telethon in this year, hosted by actor Rowan Atkinson. It raised £15 million for charity, specifically to provide to Ethiopia. Its success would lead to the second telethon the following year, following which the telethon would happen every two years. [5]

The Eurovision Song Contest of 1988 was held in Dublin, Ireland, following the Irish victory the previous year. While relatively free of controversy, the scoring proved more tense than usual when both the United Kingdom and Switzerland scored 137 points, marking a tie break. Following the tie break rules of the time, the winner was to be decided by who had the most 12-point scores. Both the United Kingdom and Switzerland had received three, meaning that the tie had to be broken by which had received more 10-point scores. The UK received six, whereas Switzerland had only five, resulting in the United Kingdom, and their act Scott Fitzgerald with “Go” being declared victor. [6]

Despite this, Celine Dion, the Swiss entry, would go on to have a very successful career in English speaking nations, as before she had only been known in Francophone areas. [7]

1989 saw the release of the third season of Star Trek: The Next Generation, and the twenty-third of Doctor Who.

Timothy Dalton’s second film as James Bond, License to Kill, was released in July 1989, to mainly positive reviews. The original June release date would have seen it compete more with other blockbuster films, and the later premiere is generally seen as having saved the franchise. The darker themes continued, with the BBFC issuing it a 15 certificate. [8]

Red Nose Day 2, the second Comic Relief telethon was broadcast in March 1989, a slot that it retained in later years. Raising £27 million, the event was quickly becoming a staple of British life.

The Eurovision Song Contest of 1989 was one of the most interesting in its history. It saw the Soviet Union’s first entry to the competition, in the spirit of Gorbachev’s reforms. The initiative had been suggested by the Soviet Minister for Education in 1987, though it had been shot down at the time. When the idea was floated again, it was seen as a way to gain favour with the western nations. [9]

The 1989 contest also saw the third time that a host country won the competition. The contest was hosted in the Royal Festival Hall in London, and the winning entry was Live Report with “Why Do I Always Get It Wrong?” representing the United Kingdom. Commenting on the victory, host Terry Wogan quipped “I guess I’ll see you all back here next year!”. [10]

Arguably the most popular entry however was Dschinghis Khan, the West German entry. They had entered ten years prior with a song of the same name, splitting up briefly in the meantime. They came fourth with the song “Agincourt” a song following their pattern of historical events or persons. [11]

Once again, the contest would be marred by controversy as the French and Israeli entrants were disqualified shortly before airing. Both countries had submitted a performer or group containing a performer that was under sixteen years of age. Citing EBU regulations for the contest, the two were disqualified. This was done partially as a way of avoiding antagonism of the Belgian jury and public, whose winning entry had been disqualified in 1986 when it was discovered that the performer had been 13. Upon discovering the French and Israeli breach of the rules, the Swiss threatened to pull out, and the Dutch and Belgians threatened boycotts of future years. [12]

[1] Alright, the years on this may be a little spoilery, but the scope of this timeline is to the modern day, I'm not stopping at 2001.
[2] Dalton's films are seen as some of the better ones by today's standards, so I've shifted the "Craig Renaissance" back to Dalton. He'll be around for more than two films.
[3] The Eurovision of TTL is going to be a lot more interesting and dramatic. There were so many ways that they narrowly avoided controversy in OTL, and I think it makes the story a little more interesting.
[4] This nearly happened. The threat was actually made, just not acted on. With the more divisive nature of TTL's Eurovision, it actually happens.
[5] Red Nose Day will be a relatively common occurence in TTL, as will Children in Need. Doctor Who may interact a little bit down the line, as they did in OTL. Go watch "Curse of Fatal Death" on YeoTube if you haven't already. It was made for Comic Relief back in 1999, and brilliantly lampoons Classic Doctor Who.
[6] There was one point in this in OTL. Belgium, while not sending an entry, is still voting, as is common nowadays. The Netherlands give one point to the UK, giving them one of the most narrow victories possible.
[7] Although she's the runner up, it still gives her a great deal of exposure.
[8] Not his last outing in TTL. Bond stuff may get its own update in the future with how it's starting to deviate more.
[9] Nearly happened in 1987 of OTL as well. It was an interesting idea, so I though I'd use it.
[10] I may be a little biased towards my country of residence here. The UK came second in OTL, but the entry of the Soviet Union puts quite a few butterflies into the mix.
[11] I'd describe them as a guilty pleasure of mine, but there's nothing guilty about it. The reunion in 1986 sticks, and the original line-up is all back. I figured they'd go for something appropriately British here.
[12] The performers weren't disqualified in OTL, but with the harsher stance the EBU takes, it results in this. So while we get a Soviet performer, there's no French or Israeli performance. This helps Belgium smooth things over a little bit.

Last edited: