"Where Are We Going This Time": The Golden Age of Science Fiction

What should happen with the season summary updates?

• Continue as is (might delay other updates)

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Release them later, as supplementary material

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Cut out the OTL bits, only say what you've changed (might only be a temporary solution)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stop them completely

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
As a little addition, here is the stream-of-consciousness dialogue I sent to @Timelordtoe waaay back on August 8th, 2020 that directly led to Comfort Levels. The nature of the relationship changed, but this was the basis of the Kelodan ship back when we had Heath Ledger in mind for Norvo.

“Andy, what’s wrong? I thought you wanted this?”
“I… I… I have to go! I have to-”
“No. Stay. Talk to me.”
“…”
“C’mon. Use your words. I promise I won’t be offended.”
“Okay… alright. I’m gonna come out and say it: this is weird and uncomfortable for me.”
“Is that all? Andy, darling, it’s okay if you don’t want to get physical.”
“But isn’t that what’s expected here?”
“To most people, yes. But not everyone. Some people are in love and they don’t have sex. Is it just the sex that’s bothering you?”
“Well, in terms of physical stuff, yeah. Kissing and hugging is fine.”
“Okay. I’ve had sex thousands of times. I don’t mind going without for the next however many decades.”
“Just like that?”
“Just like that. Consider the spot between my legs to be completely smooth.”
“Hah! You’re not a doll, Odan. And what about me? I still have, y’know, urges.”
“Do we want to have an open relationship? Or perhaps a polycule?”
“Polycule?”
“Multiple committed people in the relationship.”
“Not my thing. Either of them.”
“We can talk things out later, if that’d work better for you?”
“Yeah. Yeah, I guess… Uh, so, are we still gonna cuddle?”
“Oh, all night long, if you’ll have me, stud.”
“I’m not letting go. Now, c’mere.”

Last edited:
Okay, I understand how awesome it was to get the massive blowout for Season Five of DS9 after a little over a year of waiting, don't get me wrong, but the literal moment you dropped Detective Nose Gold and Mary Jane the Monkey into my lap, that became the runaway star of the show in my eyes.

The Bob Saget sitcom Detective Nose Gold and Mary Jane the Monkey got pulled from the airwaves in the middle of episode three – “The Father, the Busty Third Cousin, and the Holy Plantains” – putting Saget, Glenn Shadix, Nell Carter, Nicola Bryant, and several trained chimps out of work. (“And that was just the writers room!” some remarked about the last point.) There was nothing to fill the gap. Thus, something had to be done. While reruns of other programs would work most of the time, the last five weeks of the sitcom’s intended run would instead be filled by Deep Space Nine at a slightly later hour. (The sitcom would go on to be considered an “unsung gem” by a devoted fanbase numbering in the low dozens. If you or people you know have information about the unaired 15 episodes and the scripts for the remaining 13, please contact [REDACTED]@aol.com).

What the fuck

Holy crap, that was an incredible update! It was absolutely worth the wait, especially considering how meaty it was.
Next Time: "To Boldly Go Where No Brick Has Gone Before" - LEGO Star Trek
OH.
MY.
GOD!

This. I REALLY like this.
(By the way... if you want some renders/mockups of minifigures for this timeline, I'm more than willing to help out! I actually did a minifig of Admiral Kirk for dsp19's Star Trek timeline, so PM me if you're interested and I'll try my best!)

So, as both Edythe and I have been wiped (lots of plays for her, and a litany of social engagements for me), we've not had time to do much. However, we did largely plan out Season 42 of Doctor Who (coming in ten years, in-universe) since that's going to be tricky and having things in place early really helps. The network executives come down, trying to make it so that it's 26 distinct stories per season to get "more bang for their buck"... which bangs their bucks so hard that they realize they were wrong and hurriedly try to make the season have some two-parters.

Can confirm (for the time being, subject to change) the following titles for that season:
  • All Eyes on the Doctor
  • Are You There, God? It's Me, the Monk…
  • Learning from History
  • World War Two-and-a-Half
  • Hunt of the Sontarans

Last edited:
Some more appetite-whetting notes to keep us afloat:
  • I'm trying to plug away at the 1998 Specials, and the Juneteenth one has gotten away with itself. Typical! :p
  • I can also confirm the Ninth Doctor will receive a new companion in them. Lamar X is "played" by Dante Bezé. Most of you won't recognize that name. Does Yasiin Bey ring any bells? No? How about Mos Def? :)
  • This post is no longer accurate. Season 32 has undergone several permutations since then, and several new stories have been added at the expense of others. Depending on... let's say an "active factor," A Creche of Devils may need to be a sacrificial lamb and be deferred to a later season.
  • Building on the last point, we will be featuring a story that crosses over into a non-Doctor Who timeline on this very forum! I'll give you all a hint: The Aztecs wouldn't make sense in their timeline.
  • One of Season 32's stories takes place in my neck of the woods, and is being written by someone who feasibly could've written for the show during the late 90s ITTL. I tell ya, he leapt at this opportunity, folks. It's a cracking yarn.
  • Also, we will be loosely adapting a story from Weird Science. In OTL it was adapted by the little-known HBO anthology series Perversions of Science, an ill-fated spin-off of Tales from the Crypt.
  • I have titles, writers, directors, incidental composers, theme arrangements, showrunners, and broadcast dates for every single story through 2005 for Doctor Who listed on a spreadsheet (anything in the timeline's future is subject to change, of course). We have working ideas up to 2026, with @drwhom42's ideas forming 2027 onward which will likely be outside this timeline's scope. (Though her ideas are just as much fun.)
  • Broadcast dates are in place for all of the Trek material previously covered, with preliminary dates and titles for DS9 going forward.
  • We have some rough ideas for alt-Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends. Ringo Starr doesn't narrate the American releases here, with LeVar Burton taking over instead. He is replaced by George Carlin as per OTL, but Colin Baker takes over for Ringo instead of Michael Angelis.
  • Additionally, alt-SNL is kind of on our radar. Christopher Lloyd hosts the final episode of Season 10 with Huey Lewis and the News as musical guests. Season 13 opens with Tom Hanks and Denise Crosby co-hosting (musical guest TBD). Laurie Metcalfe is probably going to be primarily known for SNL in the WAWGTT-verse.

Some more appetite-whetting notes to keep us afloat:
  • I'm trying to plug away at the 1998 Specials, and the Juneteenth one has gotten away with itself. Typical! :p
  • I can also confirm the Ninth Doctor will receive a new companion in them. Lamar X is "played" by Dante Bezé. Most of you won't recognize that name. Does Yasiin Bey ring any bells? No? How about Mos Def? :)
  • This post is no longer accurate. Season 32 has undergone several permutations since then, and several new stories have been added at the expense of others. Depending on... let's say an "active factor," A Creche of Devils may need to be a sacrificial lamb and be deferred to a later season.
  • Building on the last point, we will be featuring a story that crosses over into a non-Doctor Who timeline on this very forum! I'll give you all a hint: The Aztecs wouldn't make sense in their timeline.
  • One of Season 32's stories takes place in my neck of the woods, and is being written by someone who feasibly could've written for the show during the late 90s ITTL. I tell ya, he leapt at this opportunity, folks. It's a cracking yarn.
  • Also, we will be loosely adapting a story from Weird Science. In OTL it was adapted by the little-known HBO anthology series Perversions of Science, an ill-fated spin-off of Tales from the Crypt.
  • I have titles, writers, directors, incidental composers, theme arrangements, showrunners, and broadcast dates for every single story through 2005 for Doctor Who listed on a spreadsheet (anything in the timeline's future is subject to change, of course). We have working ideas up to 2026, with @drwhom42's ideas forming 2027 onward which will likely be outside this timeline's scope. (Though her ideas are just as much fun.)
  • Broadcast dates are in place for all of the Trek material previously covered, with preliminary dates and titles for DS9 going forward.
  • We have some rough ideas for alt-Thomas the Tank Engine and Friends. Ringo Starr doesn't narrate the American releases here, with LeVar Burton taking over instead. He is replaced by George Carlin as per OTL, but Colin Baker takes over for Ringo instead of Michael Angelis.
  • Additionally, alt-SNL is kind of on our radar. Christopher Lloyd hosts the final episode of Season 10 with Huey Lewis and the News as musical guests. Season 13 opens with Tom Hanks and Denise Crosby co-hosting (musical guest TBD). Laurie Metcalfe is probably going to be primarily known for SNL in the WAWGTT-verse.
👀

Season 32 continues apace, with the outside author story synopses turned in and pending full editing. I've gotten a new job working midnights which has hampered my writing a lot, but since I hurt my knee a few nights ago and have some PTO, I'll be making up for lost time. I'll give a little sample of one of the stories here...

[REDACTED] arrives at the Osborn and Daughters Funeral Home. He talks to Mr. Osborn and his daughter, Meagan, who is clearly smitten with [REDACTED]. Mr. Osborn hasn’t had great deal of business as of late, which he bemoans (as he’s getting behind on his alimony payments, according to this episode’s novelization). Meagan offers to show [REDACTED] around town and, reluctantly, he agrees. Shortly after they leave there is a knock on the door. Mr. Osborn assumes it’s the returning pair. Instead, a tall, skull-headed creature which is more machine than flesh looms over the doorway. It greets him in a raspy voice, offering trade.

Mr. Osborn is rightly concerned about this creature and its desire for trade. He explains he is not a trader but someone who assists the families of the dead, then demands to know what the creature is. It identifies itself as a Dar Trader, and says that it knows full well where it is. This is a place of trade, for it trades in the dead. Mr. Osborn is repulsed and insists that he does not trade in the dead.

“Don’t you?” the Dar Trader replies pointedly.

On another note, I have turned my attention to the state of Target Books ITTL and have some ideas, but I'm awaiting responses on that. At the end of the day, I'm given a lot of leeway here, but I do not own this timeline.

If given my druthers, all novelizations numbered #001-#091 will be more or less identical to OTL, barring some advertisements for Back to the Future. #092 is where things will start to change due to the end of Season 21 panning out differently and Terrance Dicks being busy novelizing Back to the Future so it can be released as Target novelization #100 instead of OTL's The Two Doctors (it's released solo by Random House in the USA, though they get the license to reprint the Target back catalog and new releases going forward, I think). From there, due to OTL Seasons 22-26 being averted, things proceed differently. I have ideas for the rather lean years during the Sixth Doctor's era to feature a pair of original prose adventures for him, Marty, and Elyse between each film, including one by George R. R. Martin that picks up his notion to turn the Sandkings novella into the first of a trilogy covering Wo and Shade's unscrupulous business practices. (That last one might end up getting turned into an actual novella set in this timeline, provided I can find the time to plan and write it.)

Again, though, take the above paragraph with a grain of salt pending a full discussion between Edythe and I. The only reason I bring this up is to keep you all informed and to let you know we're diligently plugging away behind the scenes. I hope you all are doing well. :)

Last edited:
Season 32 continues apace, with the outside author story synopses turned in and pending full editing. I've gotten a new job working midnights which has hampered my writing a lot, but since I hurt my knee a few nights ago and have some PTO, I'll be making up for lost time. I'll give a little sample of one of the stories here...

[REDACTED] arrives at the Osborn and Daughters Funeral Home. He talks to Mr. Osborn and his daughter, Meagan, who is clearly smitten with [REDACTED]. Mr. Osborn hasn’t had great deal of business as of late, which he bemoans (as he’s getting behind on his alimony payments, according to this episode’s novelization). Meagan offers to show [REDACTED] around town and, reluctantly, he agrees. Shortly after they leave there is a knock on the door. Mr. Osborn assumes it’s the returning pair. Instead, a tall, skull-headed creature which is more machine than flesh looms over the doorway. It greets him in a raspy voice, offering trade.

Mr. Osborn is rightly concerned about this creature and its desire for trade. He explains he is not a trader but someone who assists the families of the dead, then demands to know what the creature is. It identifies itself as a Dar Trader, and says that it knows full well where it is. This is a place of trade, for it trades in the dead. Mr. Osborn is repulsed and insists that he does not trade in the dead.

“Don’t you?” the Dar Trader replies pointedly.

On another note, I have turned my attention to the state of Target Books ITTL and have some ideas, but I'm awaiting responses on that. At the end of the day, I'm given a lot of leeway here, but I do not own this timeline.

If given my druthers, all novelizations numbered #001-#091 will be more or less identical to OTL, barring some advertisements for Back to the Future. #092 is where things will start to change due to the end of Season 21 panning out differently and Terrance Dicks being busy novelizing Back to the Future so it can be released as Target novelization #100 instead of OTL's The Two Doctors (it's released solo by Random House in the USA, though they get the license to reprint the Target back catalog and new releases going forward, I think). From there, due to OTL Seasons 22-26 being averted, things proceed differently. I have ideas for the rather lean years during the Sixth Doctor's era to feature a pair of original prose adventures for him, Marty, and Elyse between each film, including one by George R. R. Martin that picks up his notion to turn the Sandkings novella into the first of a trilogy covering Wo and Shade's unscrupulous business practices. (That last one might end up getting turned into an actual novella set in this timeline, provided I can find the time to plan and write it.)

Again, though, take the above paragraph with a grain of salt pending a full discussion between Edythe and I. The only reason I bring this up is to keep you all informed and to let you know we're diligently plugging away behind the scenes. I hope you all are doing well. :)
Hey, out of interest, I know it's pretty far in the future but do you have any ideas about the reimagined Battlestar in you timeline?

We're still alive over here - just dealing with wisdom teeth, work, and illness! Another little snippet to whet people's appetites. We have plans to go back and revamp the earlier parts of the timeline.

The Two Doctors
“Tell that Sontaran quartet we must be circumspect while operating here. Orbital scans show this planet to be massively overpopulated.
“Madam, by the time I leave it, that will no longer be a problem. Heh… I wonder what I shall title the cookbook?”
- Chessene (Salome Jens) and Shockeye (James Gregory) discuss their Sontaran allies and the taste of Earthlings​

The TARDIS lands in contemporary New Orleans, and the Doctor soon gets the feeling that he has been here before. The Doctor gets the TARDIS to scan the area, and he detects an ion trail from the Fifth Zone, a reclusive yet very advanced interstellar confederation of different polities. The Time Lords are allies with them, though the Doctor’s always had a bit of a distaste for the whole affair considering they engage in slavery – namely that of the Androgums, which resemble warty-faced australopithecines.

In a flashback, we see the Third Doctor and Liz arrive on Station Khaameria to see Dr. Joynson Dastari, an old friend of the Doctor’s. Liz is amazed by the TARDIS – even more so that it works – but the Doctor explains that’s only because the Time Lords have “press-ganged [him] into doing their dirty work.” Otherwise, it would remain inert. Liz asks why she’s along at all. The Doctor explains Jo coming along was a prerequisite for his cooperation, and since Jo is visiting her uncle, the Doctor thought Liz might like a trip. The thought of the Brigadier, Sgt. Benton, and Capt. Yates left flummoxed back in the 1970s gives them both a laugh.

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
A little teaser for an upcoming update...
STARBURST MAGAZINE #236
APRIL 1998

FS_Starburst_Forum.jpg

IS THIS MAN THE NEXT DOCTOR WHO?
Starburst speaks to Fisher Stevens about his role in the 32nd Season of Doctor Who!

A post that would be common on Doctor Who Usenet groups in April-May 1998.​

Last edited:
A little teaser for an upcoming update...

It took me a moment to remember where I knew that face from; he was Phoebe's asshole psychiatrist boyfriend from that Friends episode where Joey's dad visited.

So, based on that information alone, my guess is that he's secretly playing The Master.