"Where Are We Going This Time": The Golden Age of Science Fiction

What should happen with the season summary updates?

• Continue as is (might delay other updates)

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Release them later, as supplementary material

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Cut out the OTL bits, only say what you've changed (might only be a temporary solution)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stop them completely

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Since we're talking about cyberpunk, what can you say about the existence or impact of Terminator, and Neuromancer (both from 1984, the year of the POD) and also Robocop (1987)?

Not all science fiction takes place on other planets with aliens the way Star Trek and Doctor Who do, after all.

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Since we're talking about cyberpunk, what can you say about the existence or impact of Terminator, and Neuromancer (both from 1984, the year of the POD) and also Robocop (1987)?

Not all science fiction takes place on other planets with aliens the way Star Trek and Doctor Who do, after all.

Terminator and Neuromancer both go as OTL, they're a little too close to the POD for me to reasonably change them, and Terminator being made has a slight effect on events that occur in 1989, namely in making James Cameron a relatively well known name. Robocop, I haven't quite decided yet. I think that regardless, there'll be some casting changes, but I'm not too sure. I very much agree with you on not all science fiction being planet hopping, and soon enough, I get to show off an idea I've had for a while that very much fits that remit.

How long was each episode?

The core of a good story was there, but a Poor Script and some bad acting especially from both Bonnie Langford and Kate O Mara hurt the original serial . As well as a obvious low budget sets .

Each episode is ~45 minutes, to fit into an hour slot with advertisement breaks on American stations. This has the obvious effect of the season being about twice as long in run time as before. This was so that it would be more in line with most American shows like it, most notably The Next Generation. 26 45 minute episodes will be the norm for a while, with a couple of notable exceptions. Suffice it to say that longer work hours will result in some of the British lot moving on to other projects in time.

As for Time and the Rani, I'm not sure about what's going to happen with the script, but it will probably be somewhat improved over OTL. The acting is less of an issue, as both the companion roles and that of the Rani have been cast differently. Budget is less of a problem for the Who of TTL. They're getting a budget similar to that of TNG, and from what I've seen, Doctor Who was probably less expensive to make in general, especially with the British experience of working on a small budget. As a result, they're able to splash out a bit more on better sets, on location filming, or even getting guest stars in.

Is there a chance we'll get Bug Hunt on Outpost Nine in its intended form, without the mutilation into Starship Troopers? That's my biggest pop-culture peeve.

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Is there a chance we'll get Bug Hunt on Outpost Nine in its intended form, without the mutilation into Starship Troopers? That's my biggest pop-culture peeve.

Quite possibly. I was intending to change up the Starship Troopers film anyway, but that's a far better idea. It's a ways off for now, but I'll keep that in mind.

Overview of Season 23 of Doctor Who

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Overview of Season 23 of Doctor Who

Eye in the Sky
The Doctor, Jim and Ace return to 1989 America, where they learn of a Space Shuttle mission that will be delivering a payload of a “revolutionary satellite”, with technology that the Doctor recognises as anachronistic. Going undercover at NASA, they attempt to find out what has brought the technology, discovering the involvement of the Master. As the Doctors begins to suspect that this bay be his latest ploy at world domination, the team has a race against the clock to stop the Master’s plan.

Guest Star: Anthony Ainley as the Master

Vengeance on Varos
When the TARDIS breaks down, the Doctor realises that only the incredibly rare ore Zeiton-7 can fix the problem. The ore can only be found on Varos, a former prison planet where voting in mandatory and executions are a public spectacle. After the Doctor is able to repair the TARDIS sufficiently to get to the planet, he becomes embroiled in the political intrigue, based around the ongoing negotiations between the governor of Varos and the alien mining representative Sil.

The Fall of the Hour
The team arrives on the planet Lika, a planet where the inhabitants are forced to live their lives to a rigorous schedule that is given to them by the ruling body, known only as the “Chronal Council”. The arrival of the Doctor, Jim and Ace is quickly noticed, and after the three are split up, they must find a way back to the TARDIS, and to each other without falling out of line.

Overture
The TARDIS lands in Russia in 1812, during the Napoleonic invasion. There, they find the Russians doing worse than they are supposed to, according to their history. After being captured by a French contingent, they find that the French have weapons many years in advance of what they should, supposedly supplied by an “alien benefactor”. The trio work together to escape, then go back to stop the French from receiving extraterrestrial assistance in their war.

Time and the Rani
While in flight, the TARDIS is attacked by the Rani, crash landing on the planet Lakertya and all three inside are knocked out. The Rani enters and takes the Doctor, leaving the other two for dead. When they re-awaken, Jim and Ace must work together to find their way to the Rani, and rescue the Doctor, working with natives of the planet that are rebelling against the Rani’s rule.

Guest Star: Madeline Kahn as the Rani

Recursion
The TARDIS malfunctions, accidentally landing inside of itself. As the Doctor warns that the situation is not sustainable, and that they only have a short time before the TARDIS will be destroyed, they must find a way to return the TARDIS to normal space. [1]

Entropy
The TARDIS lands in a pocket universe, where entropy is rapidly increasing. The inhabitants have little hope for survival if the Doctor is unable to determine what the cause of the entropic acceleration is. The Doctor traces it back to its source, and finds that it is the Logopolis project, and that the universe he and his companions visited is one of the universes that the project is funnelling entropy into. He must face a difficult conundrum, leave his universe in a state where it may break down, or condemn other, smaller universes to the same? [2]

Revolution of the Daleks
The team arrive on the planet Talas, in the middle of the ongoing Dalek Civil War, between the Imperial Daleks (Davros loyalists) and the Renegade Daleks (Dalek Supreme loyalists). The planet Talas is of great strategic importance as it harbours a potential cure for the Movellan virus, which is affecting both sides. Faced with two seemingly insurmountable enemies, the Doctor may be forced to choose the lesser of two evils, or face the entire Dalek race. [3]

Seven Pillars of Wisdom
The TARDIS lands in Paris, 1919, during the Paris Peace Conference. There, the trio discover an alien plot to assassinate Faisal, who will become the King of Iraq. Discovering that the British and French delegations are involved, believing that it will give them a more free hand in the Middle East, the trio decide to work with Faisal and T. E. Lawrence to stop the plan, while not disrupting the ongoing peace efforts.

Guest Stars: Siddig El-Fadil as Faisal, Rowan Atkinson as Lord Curzon. [4]

Futureproof
The Doctor receives a summons via hypercube to a deserted planet, where he meets with an old friend, the Minister of Chance, known as the Minister. The Minister is a fellow Time Lord, who believes that he has discovered a plot by a coalition of alien species to overthrow the Time Lords, and end the Gallifreyan monopoly on time travel technology. The two Time Lords, along with the Doctor’s companions, travel to various planets to stop the plan before it can begin. However, Jim and Ace question whether it is the right thing and as to whether it will stop the coalition, or merely delay its formation.

Guest Star: Stephen Fry as the Minister [5]

Yellow Fever and How to Cure It
The TARDIS lands in modern Singapore, among an installation of various replicas of landmarks. There, the trio discover the Master and the Rani, who claim to simply be visiting. However, the Doctor knows better, and discovers that there are a large number of Autons present, that the two plan to use to take over the city, and then the rest of the world. The Doctor calls in UNIT for assistance, and works with them to stop the two Time Lords’ plan.

Guest Stars: Anthony Ainley as the Master, Madeline Kahn as the Rani [6]

Iceberg
In 2006, scientists at the North Pole are hurrying to complete a device that will stop the imminent reversal of Earth’s magnetic field, which they fear may cause an extinction level event. However, also present are the Cybermen, who are attempting to sabotage the device, in order to use the calamity as an opportunity to upgrade humanity. When the TARDIS arrived, the trio must work to stop the Cybermen, and save humanity.

Guest Star: Emma Thompson as Pamela Cutler [7]

The Greatest Show in the Galaxy
The Doctor, Jim and Ace are invited to the Psychic Circus on the planet Segonax. They quickly learn that, rather then being invited to see the show, they are expected to perform. The only audience members are a seemingly stoic family. The performers who do not impress the family are killed, and almost all of the invitees seem to have some secret. While the Doctor tries to keep the family entertained, Jim and Ace work with the other performers to try to find a way to escape.

Guest Star: Danny John-Jules as the Ringmaster [8]

[1] I think that my inspiration for this story was clear. It's the short CiN bit Space/Time extended to a whole episode, and played less for laughs. It's got a little bit of Journey to the Centre of the TARDIS as well, in the travelling to other parts of the TARDIS sense.
[2] While I can't recall if the question of "Where is the entropy going" was discussed in Logopolis, I bring an answer up here. It's going into other universes, many of which are inhabited. Something of a dilemma for the Doctor, can he save his own universe while not dooming others.
[3] I wanted to bring more of an arc in with the Daleks. It'll be short, finishing up next season, but I wanted to explore a bit more of the Dalek Civil War, and bring the Movellan virus back as a threat that affects both sides.
[4] Siddig El-Fadil, better known as Alexander Siddig, gets his big break a little earlier, though in the same role. This does mean no Lawrence After Arabia though, so Ralph Fiennes will be with the RSC for a little longer. He will have a career though.
[5] A character from the almost certainly non-canon Death Comes to Time, which I really like, and highly recommend (it's all on YouTube). He'll be a recurring character, more of a Doctor that intervenes a little more. Almost like a morally good version of the Monk.
[6] One of two stories this season based on an unproduced script, written by the late Robert Holmes. I thought about bringing the Brigadier in, but decided against it for now.
[7] The other story based on an unproduced script. Pamela Cutler is the daughter of General Cutler from the Tenth Planet, and the Cybermen here are remnants from the group that worked with Tobias Vaughn.
[8] The character seemed very Danny John-Jules-y, so I put him in.

Next update will be on something new, but very important.

Last edited:
Chapter IX: "Evolution"

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Part II, Chapter IX: "Evolution"

“The films are much bigger now, but the modern superhero films owe almost everything to the two big franchises of the 1990s, Batman and X-Men.”​
- Stan Lee, during an interview in 2015.

1989 would prove to be one of the most important years in cinema for the burgeoning superhero film genre. DC would release the Tim Burton directed Batman, and Marvel would have some success with The Trial of the Incredible Hulk. The darker Punisher however, would prove to be a large flop, being critically panned. [1]

There was no denying that DC was dominating the market when it came to adaptations of comic book material. Batman proved to be a great success, starring Michael Keaton as Batman and Tim Curry as the Joker. While there was some criticism for how dark the film was, critics gave it positive reviews nonetheless.

With a successful Batman film under his belt, Burton was, unsurprisingly, asked to return to direct a sequel. Burton was none too keen on the prospect, agreeing to return only if the story “offered something new and exciting”. Despite the lack of a confirmed director, work soon began on the sequel, to be titled “Batman Returns”. [2]

Marvel needed to do something big if it was to compete with DC on the big screen. There had been many plans for Marvel films to be made, but few had come to fruition.

This would change in 1989, as talks between Stan Lee and Carolco Pictures turned into an agreement. The film rights to the X-Men characters were leased out to Carolco Pictures, and work began on the first film in what was hoped to be a franchise to beat Batman. [3]

Work on Wolverine and the X-Men began slowly at first, with Kathryn Bigelow attached to direct, James Cameron producing, and Gary Goldman writing. In 1989, only two main parts would be cast, with Bob Hoskins playing Wolverine and Angela Basset playing Storm. [4]

As 1989 passed, work began in earnest on completing the roster, and hopefully, beginning filming.

[1] Most of this update is OTL, but most of what happens for Marvel and DC here on out isn't.
[2] More OTL, the main change here is the casting of Tim Curry as the Joker, rather than Jack Nicholson. As a result, the Joker doesn't end up overshadowing Batman so much. Other casts are as OTL.
[3] This fell through in OTL, as James Cameron became distracted by the possibility of a Spider-Man film. This doesn't happen here, and we get some 1990s X-Men films.
[4] Why were only two main characters cast? These were the only two characters that they seemed to have people in mind for. I'm working on the other characters, but would appreciate suggestions if you have them.

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
My apologies once again on the slight delay. I've been a little distracted by illness, getting a Nintendo Switch, and working on an overarching plan with a couple of my mates. Pretty much everything for Doctor Who now has a plan up to (and a little beyond) the modern day. In addition, I've got some plans for other stuff too. It might cause some slight delays on updates in the short term, but should help me keep an overarching story in the long term, and hopefully, make future updates quicker.

Work on Wolverine and the X-Men began slowly at first, with Kathryn Bigelow attached to direct, James Cameron producing, and Gary Goldman writing. In 1989, only two main parts would be cast, with Bob Hoskins playing Wolverine and Angela Basset playing Storm. [4]

As 1989 passed, work began in earnest on completing the roster, and hopefully, beginning filming
Yay, Kathryn Bigelow directing a X-Men film cool. Well if I know anything about her and James Cameron I expect Bill Paxton and Jeanette Goldstein to appear in some way. Good work.

Is there any chance of casting the X-men with actors from minorities in some roles?

I've long felt that for superheroes who are supposed to be an artistic statement against prejudice, the X-men have a preponderance of straight white males in their lineup.

[4] Why were only two main characters cast? These were the only two characters that they seemed to have people in mind for. I'm working on the other characters, but would appreciate suggestions if you have them.

Assuming your don't to want use Patrick Stewart who was in the middle of shooting Star Trek Next Gen, Pete Postlethwaite would be good choice for Professor X.

Last edited:

Timelordtoe

Monthly Donor
Yay, Kathryn Bigelow directing a X-Men film cool. Well if I know anything about her and James Cameron I expect Bill Paxton and Jeanette Goldstein to appear in some way. Good work.

She was the person who was attached to direct before the deal fell through in OTL. I like your suggestions, will probably have to find a way to work them in somehow.

Tom Cruise as Cyclops, Molly Ringwald as Jean Grey, Arnold Schwarzenegger as Collosus, Laurence Fishburne as Beast

I really like these suggestions, I'll probably end up using them, "budget" permitting. Schwarzenegger especially, as the timeframe of this, given that Cameron is producing, is going to delay Terminator 2 at the very least.

Is there any chance of casting the X-men with actors from minorities in some roles?

I've long felt that for superheroes who are supposed to be an artistic statement against prejudice, the X-men have a preponderance of straight white males in their lineup.

Agreed, and I do have a plan or two. I might have Jubilee as a major character, sort of like how Rogue was for the 2000 film. She's only just been introduced to the comics at this point, but it'll be at least two years until the film is out at this point.

Assuming your don't want use Patrick Stewart who was in the middle of shooting Star Trek Next Gen, Pete Postlethwaite would be good choice for Professor X.

A brilliant suggestion. Much as I like Stewart's portrayal, he's tied down with the Next Generation at the moment, as they're just beginning work on their third season, and his contract is for six. If the role were minor, it could have worked, but Professor X is too important. I think I'll use Postlethwaite as you suggested.

Some villian casting ideas: Rutger Hauer as Magneto? Sharon Stone as Mystique? Nick Cage as Toad? Clancy Brown as Sabertooth? Keifer Sutherland as Pyro?

I'm really enjoying this timeline by the way!

Last edited:
How about Max von Sydow as Magneto? He's actually old enough to play a Holocaust survivor as per Magneto's backstory.
Max Von Sydow vs Peter Postelwhite, now that would be a battle for the ages. Also I think for Jubilee if you want an Asian Actress you could have Ann Yen who appeared in Prince of Darkness. Also maybe Joan Chem could be Mystique.

Ok how about this...Pat Morita as Charles Xavier, Robert Downey Jr. as Bobby Drake/Iceman, Alan Rickman as Essex/ Mr. Sinister, Kevin Bacon as Havok