"Where Are We Going This Time": The Golden Age of Science Fiction

What should happen with the season summary updates?

• Continue as is (might delay other updates)

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Release them later, as supplementary material

Votes: 2 25.0%
  • Cut out the OTL bits, only say what you've changed (might only be a temporary solution)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stop them completely

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Post 1000: The Cutting Room Floor

Well hello, dear readers.

We’ve reached the thousandth post on this here timeline, and although progress has been slow as of late, this is still cause for celebration. While we work on what comes next, I figured I’d give you all a little bonus in the form of some “What Could Have Been”s for this.

I started writing this timeline back in early 2019, and frankly, I figured I’d have it done and brought up to the modern day within a year. Here we are almost four years on, now, and we’re still in the 90s. While things have got in the way of a fair bit of progress in the past couple of years, work does continue behind the scenes, and with that, quite a few ideas have been left on the cutting room floor.

I even repurposed a few of these to make “The Doctor Will See You Now, a TLIAW” a while back, and I’ve always been tempted to have another go at something like that as a creative exercise.

It would be remiss of me to not mention at this occasion just how much I owe to @Plus-Sized Scribe , who has masterminded so much of the recent material, especially when it comes to Star Trek and Doctor Who, and who has pushed this timeline to become something far more ambitious and unique than what it originally was. I don’t think I ever expected that when you first messaged me that we would become such close friends. (And you think I did? I can’t imagine ever not being your friend! - Scribe)

My thanks also goes out to all of you who have submitted ideas or stories to the timeline, or even just left a message or reaction to let me know you enjoyed it. I really can’t put it into words how much that means to me. (Same here! You guys should pitch more stories; my creativity and drive only goes so far, and the more the merrier! - Scribe)

What Might Have Been​

Occasionally, I like to slip in a little reference to something planned for the future when writing the quotes for each chapter. Unfortunately, given the fluctuating status of this timeline’s future, it can sometimes mean that a quote is now referencing something that isn’t going to happen. I’m aware of a couple particular cases that are in need of some minor retconning.

The Ryan Reynolds Companion
Timelordtoe:
As some of you figured, the “Ryan” that Nicole de Boer mentions joining the cast of Doctor Who in the next season was originally Ryan Reynolds. He had been present in my plans from the very start, even back in the first plans for this timeline (which was structured far more like a TLIAW).

I thought he’d be a good fit for the cast, and would work in-universe as a ploy to bring people over from Buffy. We ended up recasting as the character’s personality and personal arc changed to a point where Reynolds wasn’t as good a fit (and, to a lesser extent, as a move away from my original tendency to cast people who are very famous in OTL [see Tom Hanks as a companion for Seven]).

Plus-Sized Scribe:
Now, for my part, I knew nothing about these plans. I couldn’t help with the Buffy stuff anyway because I’ve only ever seen the series’ pilot, and that was years ago. I came up with a Ryan Reynolds companion independently as an original Big Finish companion for the Fourth Doctor. (I have been giving Big Finish some thought, but it hews more closely to the OTL Gary Russell era.) I suggested putting Reynolds in the main series instead since it seemed more believable that way. Timelordtoe agreed because she already had those plans. A happy little coincidence.

Then I saw the film Ginger Snaps and developed a big ol’ gay crush on Kris Lemche. Later, @Guajolote and I got close during plans for Subtractive Synthesis, our eventual crossover of the AH.com alternate Doctors (see below the fun pic he made and I touched up). Anyway, I think he was the one who noted that he finds it more than a little unbelievable that OTL celebrities are always cast in alt-media timelines with PODs occurring way back. Just look at his Doctor Who timeline “Phil Won’t Leave His Room,” where I hadn’t heard of his Seventh or Ninth Doctors at all, and every companion except Leah Remini was wholly unknown to me.

After some thought, I decided I wanted to show that in WAWGTT. As such, I swapped Lemche in and booted Reynolds out. With Timelordtoe’s permission, of course, given that she felt the same way!

MIjp69ESzhacIbhEosbrXVEomZDMO4NjpM5Ob-eKfQD-s8DEUbr7avZeTnAxitmIs6ZUhy5-LY6pF7fi4Mc0o2OTcbpTWe1vjGpTDgYKVL6iIMa2YcGW-BLNmXbSSW_2QrRjvfLgIbuyXVdk90_YznWKRQwd0KHnkN2nlywcx4-42TVuZt2yvJGKivUPJw

The Phil-verse Seventh Doctor (Tony Haygarth) has
some thoughts on the WAWGTT Ninth Doctor (Avery Brooks).

The Chloë Grace Moretz Doctor
Timelordtoe:
A pretty far out change, as we wouldn’t have seen her for quite a while. But in the quote where Alexander Siddig is discussing being the youngest cast Doctor at the time, there is mention of the “current” Doctor being played by someone even younger. That person in question was going to be Chloë Grace Moretz.

I originally cast her as an intentional “left field” cast, and she wouldn’t have stayed for long, no more than two seasons. As an actress, she never would have quite found her feet as the character, being passionate, but generally given material which did not fit her. Most likely, her Doctor would have found more of a home in the books, comics, and audio.

She stayed in the plans for quite a while. Eventually, though, it became clear that she was just a relic of the original iteration that felt out of place in the newer versions.

Plus-Sized Scribe:
Gonna be candid here… I never once bought her as the Doctor. But I kept her in because it’s ultimately Timelordtoe’s ATL. I just squat in this proverbial house, occasionally produce golden eggs, and once in a while offer a drop of my blood to enter the vault and maintain the huge Excel document with all our plans. :p

As it happens, the current very young Doctor eventually came from my own suggestions. I reckon he’s spectacular. ;) Plus, at the current time of writing, he outlasts Tom Baker in the role.

Various Siskos and Janeways
Timelordtoe:
TNG was, at least in the earlier seasons, very close to OTL. As time went on and the project became more collaborative, the plans shifted from there being more direct parallels to OTL to making WAWGTT something much more unique. And I very much wanted to do this for both DS9 and VOY (now ODY). While the two retain a large resemblance to their OTL counterparts, this is much greater than they first did.

Sisko experienced the most changes in cast to begin with. Though I was initially reluctant to let Avery Brooks go, considering how incredible he is in the role, it wasn’t going to be feasible to have him as both Sisko and the Doctor. I decided to have either Pierce Brosnan or Peter Capaldi in the role, but I felt uncomfortable with the idea of a white person in the role. I toyed with the idea of introducing Sisko as the initial commander and later replacing him with a new commander, not dissimilar to Babylon 5, but this didn’t feel right either. Sisko staying was better for the story, and I ended up keeping both Capaldi and Brosnan around as recurring roles, the former as a character more or less lifted wholesale from B5.

Babylon 5 would provide me with the casting for Janeway, too. Originally I had considered a couple of different actresses, mainly Nicola Bryant or Nigel Havers (the latter of whom, again, I liked the idea of enough to keep them around). Still, neither felt quite right. On watching Babylon 5, I fell in love with the character of Ivanova, and realised how good a fit Claudia Christian would be for the role of Janeway.

Plus-Sized Scribe:
For my money, I liked the idea of Nicola Bryant as Janeway to give her increased profile ITTL. Nicola’s not given much credit as an actress, in my opinion, and I think she would’ve rocked Janeway. I’m also not that familiar with Claudia Christian. But the decision wasn’t mine, so I made Bryant the First Prelate in Innocence instead. I imagine she’s gotten a bit of a career in the US here as a B-list film star who eventually tires and becomes a household name in the UK doing minor parts on The Bill and other UK shows.

However, I’ve had far more influence on future Star Trek shows we have planned, such as the aforementioned Star Trek: The Monthly Audio Adventures. But I’ll elaborate more on what’s to come in a future post. Stay tuned, true believers!

Various Other Ideas
Timelordtoe:
So much has changed over time, and many ideas, characters, and castings have been left behind. I can’t go into all of them here, and frankly, for many of them I’ve either forgotten why we cut them or it’s as simple as “we had a better idea.”

Plus-Sized Scribe:
Yeah, remember when you wanted Jason Isaacs as the Eleventh Doctor? Then I pitched a counter-suggestion and you didn’t go for it. Well, imagine my surprise, dear reader, when she came back a day later like, “Dammit, I can’t stop thinking about it. Let’s do it!” Good thing, too. Isaacs (along with Ralph Fiennes) has stood staunchly by arch-TERF J.K. Rowling and that’s a huge no-no around here.

Also, side-note before this wraps up! We will be revamping the early Doctor Who and TNG seasons to bring them in line with the recent material. I have Season 22 mostly finished.

Timelordtoe:
As previously mentioned, the timeline has become more ambitious with time, and less prone to convergences. WAWGTT should end up as something very distinct from OTL, with a pop culture that would be very different to inhabit. I truly am proud of this timeline and how it has helped me grow as a writer, not to mention the friends it has brought me.

So here’s to the past thousand posts, and to a thousand more.

Thank you all for reading, from both of us!
a toast, dear readers, to the one alternate timeline i've genuinely wanted to live in a few times

here's to another thousand indeed

Frasier is another show that I haven't really watched, but I looked up the production and Daphne (who likely gets a different name ITTL) was either going to be English or Hispanic, with Rosie Perez as the top choice if they went with the latter. Kelsey Grammar wasn't actually sold on the idea of Daphne being English until he did a read-through with Jane Leeves.

I'll go ahead and say that Frasier ITTL has Rosie Perez as Maria Alvarez and is set in Denver ITTL. I might come back and give the show a proper breakdown later on, Seinfeld too.
Yknow, there was a time where they considered showing Maris on screen in the third episode, if you do have Maris be an on screen character, she should be played by Valerie Mahaffey, as a sort of casting gag as both DHP and Mahaffey were in the powers that be in 1992-1993, assuming that show exists ITTL.
a toast, dear readers, to the one alternate timeline i've genuinely wanted to live in a few times

here's to another thousand indeed
Agreed

As an aside, I do have plans to expound upon the latter-day Batman comics from DC before they're bought out by Marvel. This may involve some very slight retcons to earlier posts.

For now, I'll confirm that Jason Todd doesn't die and takes up the mantle of "Crimson Crow."

As an aside, I do have plans to expound upon the latter-day Batman comics from DC before they're bought out by Marvel. This may involve some very slight retcons to earlier posts.

For now, I'll confirm that Jason Todd doesn't die and takes up the mantle of "Crimson Crow."
So instead of Jason Todd becoming the red hood, he becomes a superhero called the Crimson Crow?

This TL was one I really enjoyed and somehow missed it was getting updates. Glad to see that. (Sorry I dropped out of the discord and stuff)

Chloë Grace Moretz is a great, underrated actress but I'm really not sure I see her as the Doctor. I think that change was likely for the best.

Looking forward to seeing more.

More ridiculousness incoming.
David Gerrold on Bob Saget as Trill Ambassador Dalotta Fillith: "The network forced him on us since they wanted to capitalize on his new sitcom - and we all know how well that went. [Editor's Note: Detective Nose Gold and Mary Jane the Monkey was abruptly pulled from UPN schedules in the middle of episode three.] Anyway, we gave him a somewhat serious role with a comic finish that expanded the universe, told the audience more about the Trill, and set up one of Kelly and Ezri's arcs. He sold it very well. Sometimes network mandates aren't bad... but it's how you roll with them, really."
Saget will be "seen" in upcoming DS9 Season Five episodes Family Matters, Reparations, and I Know It When I See It.

Last edited:
Logo-Polis: Doctor Who Logos of the WAWGTT-verse
Logo-Polis
A brief look at Doctor Who's logos in the WAWGTT-verse.

PVdafWy.png

The Amblin Film Logo
1985-1987
A clear riff on the Seasons 7-10 logo from the classic series, which would provide the basis for all the show's logo variations until 1996. This one, the Back to the Future logo, is the basic Sixth Doctor logo, being used on his merchandise and in the Animated Series. It has two notable variants, seen below: the first being used in The Cyber-Invasion and the second in The Mad Dog Gang.

gzRn1Rs.png

79zC8cX.png

qBEUR6T.png

tGeELAz.png

The First NBC Logo
1988-1991
Taking what came before and tweaking it proved a great success. This is the logo that is used to represent the overall NBC Era in spinoff media, much like the Diamond Logo represents the Classic BBC Era. More specifically, this logo represents the Seventh Doctor, and was used for his first two seasons and the Trial of a Time Lord arc. After this it was superseded by the titanium variant (seen below), which also was used for the Eighth Doctor's first season.

FNz4kXf.png

qBEUR6T.png

gw3qiLP.png

The Second NBC Logo
1992-1993
Also called the Crystalline Logo, this variant began to be used in the Eighth Doctor's second season and is considered emblematic of his era finding its feet. While this variant was used in most of his TV stories, a green variant was implemented for The Dark Dimension, and an alternate gold-colored one has been used in spin-off media.

NvrsPR4.png

R1sCM29.png

qBEUR6T.png

yb5kYrO.png

The Third NBC Logo
1994-1995, 1998
The Red Logo is used exclusively for the Ninth Doctor, and matches one of his jackets. It's often used for video reviews dismissive of the latter parts of the NBC Era as a whole. While a sizeable portion of the fandom sees it as emblematic of the Ninth Doctor's era being "a mistake," many fans adore this variant and the associated era.

qBEUR6T.png

vPwI7Uq.png

The Fourth NBC Logo
1996-????
The current logo in the timeline as of this writing, and something of a riff on the Troughton logo. Representative of the Gaiman era's tone as a whole, though some fans would like a variant with brighter colors.

All logos created by Plus-Sized Scribe.

Last edited:
Logo-polis

PVdafWy.png

The Amblin Film Logo
1985-1987
A clear riff on the Seasons 7-10 logo from the classic series, which would provide the basis for all the show's logo variations until 1996. This one, the Back to the Future logo, is the basic Sixth Doctor logo, being used on his merchandise and in the Animated Series. It has two notable variants, seen below: the first being used in The Cyber-Invasion and the second in The Mad Dog Gang.

gzRn1Rs.png

79zC8cX.png

qBEUR6T.png

tGeELAz.png

The First NBC Logo
1988-1991
Taking what came before and tweaking it proved a great success. This is the logo that is used to represent the overall NBC Era in spinoff media, much like the Diamond Logo represents the Classic BBC Era. More specifically, this logo represents the Seventh Doctor, and was used for his first two seasons and the Trial of a Time Lord arc. After this it was superseded by the titanium variant (seen below), which also was used for the Eighth Doctor's first season.

FNz4kXf.png

qBEUR6T.png

gw3qiLP.png

The Second NBC Logo
1992-1993
Also called the Crystalline Logo, this variant began to be used in the Eighth Doctor's second season and is considered emblematic of his era finding its feet. While this variant was used in most of his TV stories, a green variant was implemented for The Dark Dimension, and an alternate gold-colored one has been used in spin-off media.

NvrsPR4.png

R1sCM29.png

qBEUR6T.png

yb5kYrO.png

The Third NBC Logo
1994-1995, 1998
The Red Logo is used exclusively for the Ninth Doctor, and matches one of his jackets. It's often used for video reviews dismissive of the latter parts of the NBC Era as a whole. While a sizeable portion of the fandom sees it as emblematic of the Ninth Doctor's era being "a mistake," many fans adore this variant and the era as a whole.

qBEUR6T.png

vPwI7Uq.png

The Fourth NBC Logo
1996-????
The current logo in the timeline as of this writing, and something of a riff on the Troughton logo. Representative of the Gaiman era's tone as a whole, though some fans would like a variant with brighter colors.

perfection-magneto.gif

Logo-Polis

PVdafWy.png

The Amblin Film Logo
1985-1987

gzRn1Rs.png

79zC8cX.png

qBEUR6T.png

tGeELAz.png

The First NBC Logo
1988-1991

FNz4kXf.png

qBEUR6T.png

gw3qiLP.png

The Second NBC Logo
1992-1993

NvrsPR4.png

R1sCM29.png

qBEUR6T.png

yb5kYrO.png

The Third NBC Logo
1994-1995, 1998
The Red Logo is used exclusively for the Ninth Doctor, and matches one of his jackets. It's often used for video reviews dismissive of the latter parts of the NBC Era as a whole. While a sizeable portion of the fandom sees it as emblematic of the Ninth Doctor's era being "a mistake," many fans adore this variant and the associated era.

qBEUR6T.png

vPwI7Uq.png

The Fourth NBC Logo
1996-????

I like them.

Logo-Polis

PVdafWy.png

The Amblin Film Logo
1985-1987

gzRn1Rs.png

79zC8cX.png

qBEUR6T.png

tGeELAz.png

The First NBC Logo
1988-1991

FNz4kXf.png

qBEUR6T.png

gw3qiLP.png

The Second NBC Logo
1992-1993

NvrsPR4.png

R1sCM29.png

qBEUR6T.png

yb5kYrO.png

The Third NBC Logo
1994-1995, 1998

qBEUR6T.png

vPwI7Uq.png

The Fourth NBC Logo
1996-????

5d2.jpg

Logo-Polis

PVdafWy.png

The Amblin Film Logo
1985-1987

gzRn1Rs.png

79zC8cX.png

qBEUR6T.png

tGeELAz.png

The First NBC Logo
1988-1991

FNz4kXf.png

qBEUR6T.png

gw3qiLP.png

The Second NBC Logo
1992-1993

NvrsPR4.png

R1sCM29.png

qBEUR6T.png

yb5kYrO.png

The Third NBC Logo
1994-1995, 1998

qBEUR6T.png

vPwI7Uq.png

The Fourth NBC Logo
1996-????

First of all, I LOVE the update title, that's a good one!
Secondly, these logos are GORGEOUS! There's a good reason that OTL's TV Movie brought back the 1970 logo; not only does it look good, but it works well on either 2 lines or one line, like book or VHS/DVD labels. And that 1996 logo is great, too! Absolutely stellar work, Plus-Sized Scribe. I'd love to make some in-universe stuff with these much like CeruleanDev did- though I don't have many ideas.
Third, has Bill Nye the Science Guy been butterflied? (the TV show, not the man himself 😆) It might seem like a really weird question, but he played Doc Brown's lab assistant in the live action sequences for OTL'S Back to the Future: The Animated Series. That role later helped him a little bit in getting his own show, apparently. Obviously, that show is Doctor Who: The Animated Series ITTL, which was made a few years later and doesn't have live action sequences.